FC - Old Timer Event - 250 GTO - May 9th, 2009 (Event Completed- Results Posted)

• Thread starter jjaisli
  • 42 comments
EVENT COMPLETED

The 250 GTO event began immediately after Formula 1 Qualifying from Barcelona ended. I was very pleased to see the lobby swelled to it's 8 player maximum within a few minutes. I never did receive a volunteer to open a second lobby but there didn't seem to be anybody else knocking on the door at that point so we set off for free practice at Monza.

Although Monza didn't count for points, it was a good way to settle in and I like the idea of giving everybody one round to "find themselves" in the car. There was some chicane cutting (tsk-tsk), off road excursions, and general frustration, but once that was worked out of everybody's system, the real racing was ready to begin.

Round 1, Homestead - 10 minutes - Dry

Homestead is a track that I largely ignored in Ferrari Challenge as I found it a bit boring, but it's been growing on me of late. Finding the correct entry into the first left hander, leaving the oval and entering the road course, is tricky indeed, especially in these 60s era cars that dart and get squirrelly under braking. I was lucky enough to find myself in the lead for the start of this race. At the end of the inland straight, I saw RS make a move up the inside and leave the track just in front of my nose. (I was taking a rather conservative entry into that turn and I'm not sure if he left his braking too late or I simply shut the door on him--if so I apologize). On lap two I was skidding and sliding on the entry to turn 1 and ended up leaving the track, allowing both PiotrB and Zedux to get by, although considering their pace, they likely would have done so anyway at some point in the next few laps. Or less. I managed to hold my position in 3rd and started to pull a gap to the cars behind me, but at the same time I was generally losing about 0.5~1.0 seconds per lap to the two in front for the rest of the race. Checking the track map from time to time, I could see much of the field bunched up closely and there was some moments of frustration on lap 3 at the hairpin before rejoining the oval portion of the track. Perhaps others would like to describe what happened from their perspective. :)

Round 1 Results:
1) PiotrB
2) Zedux
3) jjaisli
4) solidmic
5) ENERGIYA
6) JoaoPereira_P
7) RSRacer
8) GTRP-Flinx

Fastest Lap going to PiotrB with a 1:38.90 - enough to break the track record. Well done.

Round 2 - Infineon - 10 minutes - Dry

I like Infineon as a track but for whatever reason, I was never able to find a good flow around this circuit in any car. Perhaps it's the elevation changes which don't translate particularly well or just simply my own inability to come to terms with it's unique character. But I was hoping, most of all, to simply NOT embarrass myself in a crowd of quick racers. Much of this race is a bit of a blur. I managed at one point to get by Energiya but he remained close on my tail. On the final lap I was making up some time on solidmic and made a rather optimistic, 'last ditch' passing attempt on the chicane on the back straight. Not only did the attempt fail but it allowed Energiya to close right up on me and he drafted me into the hairpin. I braked early on the final hairpin and took the inside while he took the outside and it was a drag race to the finish line. Although the screen showed me ahead of him at the finish line, we both agreed that he had a nose on me at the line so I reversed the order. The biggest shock was seeing PiotrB finish the race with a time of 2:04.70--more than 2 full seconds clear of the next fastest. Simply unbelievable.

Round 2 Results:
1) PiotrB
2) Zedux
3) GTRP-Flinx
4) Solidmic
5) ENERGIYA
6) jjaisli
7) RSRacer
8) JoaoPereira_P

Fastest Lap PiotrB 2:04.70

Round 3 - Spa - 20 minutes - Wet

Water on the track. It adds an unexpected element to the racing and it's something that's implemented quite well in Ferrari Challenge. In a car like the GTO, which is already a bit dodgy in dry conditions, racing in the rain is often a nail biting experience. And what better place to do it than Spa-Francorchamps. For this race Flinx had to leave us for priorities in the 'real world' and his place was taken by WayneJones, who unfortunately had to leave us mid race. On lap one, I witnessed JoaoPereira_P and PiotrB come together at Rivage with PiotrB hitting the wall on the inside and Joao spinning wildly, at least 900*. It was quite impressive to see. (He later sent a message that his PS3 somehow lost connection to the Internet and he was then kicked out of the lobby. But I'm happy to say this was the only connection problem I experienced during the event with a lobby full of players and the problem seems to have been on Joao's end. Not long after, Zedux was able to get by me and took off after PiotrB who had managed to maintain his position in front of me despite running off the track. Energiya remained in the lead. From that point forward, for most of the race, I had the best seat in the house, anywhere from 2.5 ~ 6.5 seconds behind Zedux and PiotrB sparring for position. Lap after lap, I could see them drafting, in and out, side by side, left and right. My frustration at that point was that I simply wasn't fast enough to really see the battle, despite my best attempts to keep up the pace and I really could care less about my position, so taken was I by the two 'Strikers' sparring in front. Occasionally, one or both would lose a bit of time in their fight and several times it allowed me to close to <3 seconds for a better view. All the while Energiya remained out front, probably a bit relieved that PiortB and Zedux were, at the moment, more concerned about each other than they were about running him down. On the last lap either Zedux lost some time or PiotrB pulled away but the gap widened and PiotrB finished just adrift of Energiya, who was probably sweating up a storm. :) GREAT race. I wished I could have seen it on replay!

Round 3 Results:
1) ENERGIYA
2) PiotrB
3) Zedux
4) jjaisli
5) solidmic
6) RSRacer
7) JoaoPereira_P DQL
8) WayneJones DQL

Fastest Lap Zedux 3:10.55

Round 4 - Vallelunga - 10 minutes - Dry

Vallelunga is a much more technical track than it's given credit for and putting in a fast time means being as smooth as silk. Especially so in this car. But I made up my mind I would try my best and wouldn't make it easy for anybody, especially when I saw PiotrB drafting me on the main straight. I was pushing to my limit and he was closing on me none-the-less. I was so intent on watching him in my mirrors to see if and where he would make a move that I completely missed my braking point. :lol: I did my best to throw the car sideways but I still ate gravel. I was a bit rueful when I realized PiotrB had followed me off the track. But true to form, he was much more elegant about it and lost much less time. In the meantime Energiya was able to get by and I simply wasn't fast enough to make up ground on him. This race was redemption for Zedux who managed to pull his first victory. Were it not for PiotrB, he would have been running away with this event.

Final Results:
1) Zedux
2) PiotrB
3) ENERGIYA
4) jjaisli
5) JoaoPereira_P
6) solidmic

Fastest Lap going to PiotrB at 2:04.89 - Yet another mind numbing time!

Round 5 - Mont-Tremblant - 30 minutes - Dry

Mont-Tremblant is a true gem. It's a very technical and true 'driver's track' and it's inclusion may in fact be unique to Ferrari Challenge (and the upcoming SuperCar Challenge). It's so tempting to go faster and faster on the long down hill sweeping right hander and indeed, there's a lot of time to be gained if you get it right. But if you get it wrong, you're off the road in a big way and by the time you're back on track, the penalty you paid in time is often too big to make up, even in a 30 minute race. I started this race last (or 2nd to last) and immediately shifted to 4th instead of 2nd. (The drawbacks of using the H-pattern shifter on the G25). But it was a long race and I tried to crank out consistent laps without pushing too hard to put in the ultimate lap time. To be honest, despite it being 30 minutes, this race was a bit of a blur. I can't even fully remember when or where I managed to get by people but I know for much of the last 15 minutes I was running in 3rd, about 8~12 seconds behind Zedux in 2nd. At that point the 4th place car, who had been running about 12 seconds behind me for many laps, had suddenly slipped back to >20 seconds. With 3 laps to go I figured my position was safe enough and I attempted to put in some 'hot' laps. On my first attempt I managed to get into the 2:01s. On the next lap I pushed harder still and came within cms of disaster and nearly flew off the track, dragging my rear end over the curbs in a drift that had my palms sweating. I was simply lucky that I managed to save it and only lost 2-3 seconds. At that point I was coming up on a lapped car and I decided to take it easy from there on until the end of the race, least I throw it all away. So it makes it all the more impressive to see both the first and second place cars exceed my best time by >1 full second. Well done both Zedux and PiotrB!

Round 5 Results:
1) PiotrB
2) Zedux
3) jjaisli
4) ENERGIYA
5) JoaoPereira_P
6) solidmic
7) RSRacer*

Fastest Lap going to PiotrB at 2:00.07. Impressive. Just so impressive.
* I wrote down RSRacer in 7th but I think he might of have been DQL. I'm sorry if I didn't write this down properly--let me know and I'll correct it.

FINAL RESULTS: Keeping in mind we're using the 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points system with 1 point for fastest lap and Spa at 2x points and Mont-Tremblant at 3x points:
1) PiotrB_23 - 80 points****
2) Zedux - 54 points*****
3) ENERGIYA - 50 points
4) jjaisli - 41 points
5) solidmic - 30 points
6) JoaoPereira_P - 16 points
7) RSRacer - 14 points*
8) GTRP-Flinx - 7 points**
9) WayneJones - 0 points***

* RSRacer missed one race
** Flinx only took part in the first two races
*** WayneJones took part in one race and DFN
**** Points corrected after error made in calculation
***** Points corrected after error made in calculation

Congratulations PiotrB * Winner* of the 250 GTO Historic Event. Once again, as in the 250TR event, showing jaw dropping speed. (Personally I suspect he's Robert Kubica's faster brother).

I want to thank everybody who took part in this event. The great, clean and respectful racing that I saw makes these events all together enjoyable. Obrigado! Merci-bien. Vielen-Dank. Dziekuje Bardzo! And Thank You! :)

See you again soon!

Last edited:
First of all, I want to take the time to thank jjaisli for inviting me to take part in these races and secondly for organising the events. The time and attention to details are impressive, right down to the description of each race!

As far as the racing from my point of view, I was impressed by the lap times that I saw, but mostly by the very clean racing!
I don't think that I embarrassed myself too much ( except for Mont-Tremblant where I was lapped by the first 3!!! God I hate that track.)

With that said, considering I only got FC in late March and only unlocked the 250 GTO on Wednesday (specifically to take part in these races) It could have been worse and am somewhat pleased with my showing in general.
I'm really just happy that I didn't cause any incidents, since I knew that I was racing with a bunch of guys that are quite good. On top of that many have been playing for month or since lauch, so I was a little stress at first (just a little)

All in all it was good fun and look forward to the next one!

A good description of event jjaisli 👍. Big thanks for organize this.

Overall it was again fantastic event ! There was a lot of fun ! I was also very happy that lobby was full most of the time.

I love Spa and wet but I must say that Spa race was my worst. I started first and I was unable to take advantage of it. Just after the start I made mistake at Eou Rogue (same as in RoC event :) ) and I lost lead to ENERGIYA. After that I started to chase him and I catch him pretty quickly. Than I was unable to overtake. Lag was too big (I guess that I have crap connection). Few minutes later Zedux catch us . I decided to not block Zedux so I let him through. I was hoping that ENERGIYA and Zedux will lose some time when they will fight against each other. That won't happend. So I decided to attack Zedux (he was not lagging) at the inside of turn 15. Unfortunately I take too much speed in to the corner I get understeer. Zedux was at the outside so I pushed him into the garvel ancidentaly. I knew it that was my fault so I decided to slow down and let him past me. Afeter that we both was chasing ENERGIYA. We have a great battle. Zedux made a mistake at Malmedy so I was ahead. At the end I was just behind ENERGIYA. I don't have a time to attack so I finished second.

BTW: jjaisli I think that Zedux has a fastest lap at Spa (2:10.55 I guess) and my fastest lap at Mont-Tremblant was 2:00.07. Small corrections. You can't remember everything :).

BTW: jjaisli I think that Zedux has a fastest lap at Spa (2:10.55 I guess) and my fastest lap at Mont-Tremblant was 2:00.07. Small corrections. You can't remember everything :).

👍 Thanks for this Piotr--as soon as I have a chance I'll make the correction and re-add the points. (It won't change positions but it should be corrected). :)

JJAISLI, you have to edit spa results. if you notice it say's race 3, but the results for spa say round 4

Noted and corrected--thanks. 👍

First of all, I want to take the time to thank jjaisli for inviting me to take part in these races and secondly for organising the events. The time and attention to details are impressive, right down to the description of each race!
:) My pleasure. I really enjoy putting these events together. For years I've dreamed of attending the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Of course, I don't actually own a classic car, nor am I really a good enough driver to take part. :lol: But one can always dream. ;) If I ever hit it filthy rich, I'm going to buy 330 Short Wheelbase and trace the steps of the Mille Miglia.

As far as the racing from my point of view, I was impressed by the lap times that I saw, but mostly by the very clean racing!
I don't think that I embarrassed myself too much ( except for Mont-Tremblant where I was lapped by the first 3!!! God I hate that track.)
They're a first rate bunch of racers for sure. 👍 But as for Mont Tremblant, I can only say, as a native Quebecois, you should be ashamed of this statement. :lol: Don't worry--we all have a particular track that we don't like. For me it's Paul Ricard. Racing it is like sticking a needle in my eye. :yuck:

With that said, considering I only got FC in late March and only unlocked the 250 GTO on Wednesday (specifically to take part in these races) It could have been worse and am somewhat pleased with my showing in general.
I'm really just happy that I didn't cause any incidents, since I knew that I was racing with a bunch of guys that are quite good. On top of that many have been playing for month or since lauch, so I was a little stress at first (just a little)

All in all it was good fun and look forward to the next one!
Indeed, considering you only unlocked this car three days ago, your times were VERY impressive. 👍 I'm sure by the next event you'll really be on the pace. And I'll be relegated one level back yet again. :lol:

A good description of event jjaisli 👍. Big thanks for organize this.

Overall it was again fantastic event ! There was a lot of fun ! I was also very happy that lobby was full most of the time.

I love Spa and wet but I must say that Spa race was my worst. I started first and I was unable to take advantage of it. Just after the start I made mistake at Eou Rogue (same as in RoC event :) ) and I lost lead to ENERGIYA. After that I started to chase him and I catch him pretty quickly. Than I was unable to overtake. Lag was too big (I guess that I have crap connection). Few minutes later Zedux catch us . I decided to not block Zedux so I let him through. I was hoping that ENERGIYA and Zedux will lose some time when they will fight against each other. That won't happend. So I decided to attack Zedux (he was not lagging) at the inside of turn 15. Unfortunately I take too much speed in to the corner I get understeer. Zedux was at the outside so I pushed him into the garvel ancidentaly. I knew it that was my fault so I decided to slow down and let him past me. Afeter that we both was chasing ENERGIYA. We have a great battle. Zedux made a mistake at Malmedy so I was ahead. At the end I was just behind ENERGIYA. I don't have a time to attack so I finished second.
I appreciate the kudos PiotrB. And I'm glad you enjoyed the event. I also appreciate the description of your race with Zedux. Most of the time I was JUST a little too far behind to really see exactly what was happening. But I appreciate you two making the occasional error and giving me a chance to catch up and enjoy the show. :lol:

Great write up JJAISLI & btw i'm still sweating after that spa round.
:lol: I bet! Normally it's easier to ride in clean air. But not with Terminator 1 & 2 breathing down your neck. ;)

So i must have been John conner is round 3, So who is Terminator model 101 & who is terminator model T-1000

PIOTRB_23 is terminator model ?
ZEDUX is terminator model ?

LOL

Great writeup jjaisli! It seems this was a great event. Maybe it was for the better that I wasn't able to attend, because if I did the lobby would have to be split and half the fun would be missed.

Congratulations PiotrB for the overall win, and to you and Zedux for an impressive show of speed, you guys are both in your own class 👍

Congratulations jjaisli for another successful event, I can only stress what solidmic already wrote about your attention to detail. Great work! :)

Also, congratulations to Energiya for his Spa victory, considering the pressure you got from the guys that were chasing you it's a great proof of speed and consistency!

And to all, for making all the races so fun and interesting. :cheers:

PS - jj, just a small correction about the PSN ID of my countryman: it's "JoaoPereira_P"

Great writeup jjaisli! It seems this was a great event. Maybe it was for the better that I wasn't able to attend, because if I did the lobby would have to be split and half the fun would be missed.
None-the-less, I'm sorry neither you nor Biggles were able to make it because I know how much both of you enjoy racing the classic cars in FC and much more so than the more modern cars. Not everybody does. Outside of those who took part in the two events, I don't think anybody does. :lol: But it does raise a point and one that I think is worth mentioning again. For most of the races we had 8 players in attendance. We had a 20 minute race followed by a 30 minute race. For the first two races, I forgot to ask people to turn their mics off to save bandwidth. And yet at no time did we ever have a problem with collapsing lobbies or serious lag. I did read PiotrB's comments with great interest about the strange effects of lag at Spa. During the 250TR event I also experienced this behind Biggles both at Spa and Montreal. It was a strange effect where it felt more like the reactions of my OWN car were being dulled or slowed. Most of the time when there's lag, you have cars that blink on and off, sort of jump around the track a bit, making it difficult to tell exactly where they really are. And in extreme cases the cars start to 'bounce' up and down. Throughout this entire event, I didn't experience ANY of the usual signs and I think it's very positive considering how many people were in the lobby. I won't suggest we try a 16 player lobby for the next event as I think it's just too much to hope for and we may have simply gotten lucky that everybody in the lobby had a fast connection and quick ping speed. But I do have hope when Supercar Challenge arrives that we can continue these events with more players.

PS - jj, just a small correction about the PSN ID of my countryman: it's "JoaoPereira_P"
Oops. So much to attention to detail. ;) (fixed).

Sorry I missed this event - it sounds like it was great fun. I've been in the middle of the "move from hell", but I do at least have my new internet connection set up - I hope it turns out to be a fast connection.

...but I do at least have my new internet connection set up - I hope it turns out to be a fast connection.

👍 We'll find out Biggles. Hopefully around the 23rd/24th of May. ;) Details will follow.

I'm glad to hear the move is finally behind you.

Back