jjaisli

Software Driver
Premium
United States
The Ramapo Mountains
jjaisli
I figured I would give this is own thread so it didn't pass people by:

Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli - Old Timer Race Challenge

For the first of what will hopefully be more classic car events, we begin with the ultimate classic: The 250 Testa Rossa.

LP001842.jpg

Unless there is considerable opposition, the event will start on Saturday, May 2nd at 20:00 GMT.

I've decided to make this a first come first serve event and will open the lobby to the first 8 players. So if you want to take part, no need to sign up, just be there.

I will not make this a private lobby so if you're not on my PSN friend list, don't worry, just find and enter the lobby. I have little fear of 7 strangers suddenly jumping in the lobby and taking all the spots. ;)

My lobby will be opened under my PSN ID: jjaisli

In the event that the lobby fills, there will be an alternate lobby opened by: GTP_ENERGIYA

This is a very open format for the first event. Participation at all tracks is encouraged but not required. If we decide that more structure is in order, I will make it a private lobby for future events and make additional changes as necessary.

The race will take place as follows:

1) Monza - 5 minutes - Warm up

800px-Monza_track_map.svg.png

2. Hockenheim - 10 minutes - DRY
Circuit_Hokenheimring.png

3. Misano - 10 minutes - Wet
800px-Misano_World_Circuit.svg.png

4. Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Redwood Park) - 10 minutes - Dry
Circuit_Monreal.png

5. Mugello - 10 minutes - Wet

800px-Mugello_Racing_Circuit_track_map.svg.png

6. Spa (Finale) - 20 minutes - Dry

Circuit_Spa_2007.png

Hope to see you there and good luck.

250tr-32.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be away from home this saturday so won't be able to attend. Anyway, this seems a lot of fun so good luck to everyone that takes part in it! 👍

Finally awake, are we Biggles? ;) :lol:

I appreciate your feelings on smaller, tighter lobbies and how they make for better racing. And I can't say I disagree. Most of the time. :) However, in this case, I would prefer to see a larger compliment. If I had any hope of it being stable, I would open a full 16 car lobby. Obviously I don't so that's not an option. Even an 8 car lobby may be pushing things. :indiff:

My feeling on the matter is, this event is not so much about close, tight, racing with 2-3 very closely matched and skilled opponents, fighting it out for those few 10ths of a second, although that may indeed end up being the case. But rather it's a way to introduce some of the classic, less popular cars to the folks here on GTPlanet who are occasional or closet Ferrari Challenge players but shy away from the older cars in favor of the more frenetic pace that the F430/575GT-S/FXX offer.

I also think that if any cars in this game are suited to larger lobbies, it's the classic cars. With their slower pace and unruly handling, a small error will likely not result in a race losing mistake, especially in 10 minute races and certainly not in the 20 minute finale.

I suppose most of us have something of a competitive streak and don't enter a race without at least trying to win. But I'd like to think of this race as if it were a real life Historic event, where people are in it for the pure enjoyment of running in a field and not necessarily a win at all costs mentality. A storm through the field from last place to finish 3rd would probably be much more enjoyable than starting from 1st and finishing first. Either way, there are some truly fast drivers here and they will undoubtedly shine should they choose to enter, regardless of whether there are 3 or 4 or 8 cars on the track.

At any rate, outside of our own clique, very few seem to enjoy driving these cars and I have my doubts if we'll really have a full 8 car lobby on Saturday. But I may be pleasantly surprised. So I will be asking for a volunteer, with a fast Internet connection (who would be willing) to host a 2nd lobby, just in case.

Last edited:
Wow, this sounds great.
Saturday is it!!!
Now i have to spend some time on the given tracks.;)

Just a short question: is Misano numbered in the opposite order as we drive it in FC?

Just a short question: is Misano numbered in the opposite order as we drive it in FC?

Good eye.👍 And indeed correct. This track is actually run in reverse in Ferrari Challenge. In the upcoming SuperCar Challenge, you'll be able to run it both directions.

JJAISLI, is this event going to affect mine or are you pulling out of FC world championship, BTW at least you made it 20 GMT due to there will be a test for mine at 11 GMT

I'll give it a go, and i would have added these sort of car in my event anyway.

Hi Jason,

Not at all--I'm still signed up for your event and they won't affect each other. Mine is Saturday, May 2nd and yours is Sunday May 3rd. I'd estimate anybody who finishes the old timer event will have ~ 26 hours to rest before starting the World Championship. ;)

I just wanted to:

1) Give this thread a quick bump as a reminder.

2) Ask for a volunteer who would be willing to host an additional lobby in case we have an excess of players show up. If you know you will be taking part in this event, and wouldn't mind to take on this responsibility, please PM me for details.

:)

My plans for this weekend have changed and I may be able to join after all. Anyway, I can't be sure I'll be able to enter from the start so I hope there's no problem in joining later on, provided there are slots available in the lobby(ies). 👍

Will do some 250 TR practise now, if anyone is interested show up online!

EDIT: We have a volunteer!

In the event that my lobby is full tonight, please look for the alternate lobby run by: GTP_ENERGIYA

My appreciation to Energiya for offering his time and service. :)

Hun200kmh: Glad to hear you may indeed still make it. 👍

Last edited:
Didn't want to volunteer for a lobby as I've been sporadically getting a "disc read error" over the last couple of days. :nervous:

If you haven't already done so Biggles, make sure you back up all your game save data to a thumb drive or external USB device.

Event Completed!

:) A BIG thank you to all those who participated. I'll be back with a full write up later today.

A big thank to the host of the event!
Good racing from the mortal ones, Piotr ran in a league of his own.
Very impressive!!!

Thanks for the racing. A bit dismal performance on my part - it really isn't possible to jump straight into the 250TR (even with plenty of prior experience) & race at this level. My apologies for wiping out mhm a couple of times at Monza :embarrassed:.

Piotr really is an amazingly fast driver 👍, & he's using a wheel! (which kind of makes the rest of us look bad). :guilty:

The 250 Testa Rossa Series went off without a hitch and was enjoyable from start to finish, with good clean* racing and a high level** of competition. My only regret is fewer people joined up than I had hoped.

As mentioned from the first post, I kept the lobby open rather than private as (1) I didn't have everybody from GTPlanet who may have wandered into this thread on my buddy list and (2) I hoped maybe some quick racers scanning the lobbies might decide to join in. The result was both positive and negative for reasons I will discuss later.

Onto the Events:

1. Monza - 5 Minutes - Dry - Open Practice

Having a practice round at Monza allowed everybody to get comfortable with the car without fear of losing points. At GMT 20:10, the lobby consisted of:
jjaisli
PiotrB_23
GTP_SimcoeAce
mhm66
GTRP-Flinx

I sent out a few last minute invites to people I knew on-line who don't necessarily view GTPlanet. But by 20:15, there were no takers so the race started. Monza was a bit of an eye opener with a little crashing and banging as drivers settled into the car. We agreed to keep two wheels on the track at the first chicane but allowed the 2nd chicane to be cut as allowed to maintain a proper flow.

Although this first round didn't count for points, and although I neglected to mention this, I decided to use the current Formula 1 points system of: 10 8 6 5 4 3 2 1 for the top 8 points scoring positions, with an additional point awarded for fastest lap*. The only exception was the final round at Spa where I doubled the points. For the record, the finishing order at Monza was: Flinx, jjaisli, PiotrB, mhm66, SimcoeAce, with PiotrB taking the fastest lap with a 2:20.50, more than a second faster than the next fastest driver. The rest of us in the lobby put in laps which were <.75 seconds
apart, showing just how competitive the rest of the field would run.

* This was a trend which would continue for the rest of the event with PiotrB showing unbelievable speed and impressive consistency that the rest of us just couldn't match. But that's OK. He's an Alien. :sly:

2. Hockenheim - 10 minutes - Dry

Hockenheim is where the event really started. Several mistakes marred the positions and lap times of for a number of the drivers. Finishing order: PiotrB, mhm66, SimcoeAce, jjaisli, Flinx with fastest lap of 2:15.77 going to PiotrB--enough to break the track record (previously held by yours truly) by more than a full second.

3. Misano - 10 minutes - Wet

At Misano, we had two additional visitors in the lobby, two Spanish guys, Utopia07 & akenathon. Both players were a bit inexperienced and ended up being lapped by the entire field--in Utopia07's case, we lapped him twice. Unfortunately, neither saw fit to stay to the side while they were being lapped and made a bit of hindrance of themselves, costing several of us valuable seconds while trying to maintain or decrease the gap to the car in front. But dealing with back markers is part of real racing too (although one would suspect they would have been shown black flags long before blue). None the less, Misano in the wet with this car presents it's own unique challenges and lapping traffic is just one of them. All in all, a good race. The finishing order: PiotrB, Flinx, jjaisli, SimcoeAce, mhm66 with PiotrB taking the fastest lap with a 2:07.74. Utopia was disqualified and akenathon brought up the rear.

4. Redwood Park - 10 minutes - Dry

Perhaps it's because of my frequent visits to the Canadian Grand Prix but for whatever reason, I've always enjoyed Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and have managed good pace at Montreal in most of my races in Ferrari Challenge. I figured if I had any chance at a win it would be here. Starting near the back of the field and in the middle of an Iberian sandwich ended any chance within 10 second of the start with one driver ramming me from behind and the other side swiping me as he left and rejoined the track. Discounting these two, I had only Flinx behind me and was nearly 10 seconds behind Biggles when I rounded the first corner. I put my head and the pedal down and did my best to crank out laps as fast as I could with a clear track in front of me.

And I managed to do just that (knowing it's a track that SimcoeAce doesn't particularly like). But I found to my dismay that I had great difficulty following closely behind biggles once I had reached him. Every time I narrowed the gap to 1 second or less, I had a hard time maintaining my braking points and kept understeering off the track at key points. I don't know if this was just overzealous driving on my part of it had something to do with lag but I hadn't experienced it quite in that way before. At various times I tried to stick my nose into a gap in an all together sloppy way. (Sorry Biggles) and I finally managed to get past on the last lap but was too far behind mhm to make a run. Final order: PiotrB, mhm66, jjaisli, SimcoeAce, Flinx, akenathon, utopia DQL and TTKKTT (joining for this round) also DQL. I actually managed to pull the fastest lap this race with a 2:07.54.

5. Mugello - 10 minutes - Wet

Again a wet race and again, several uncharacteristic mistakes managed to shuffle the field from it's original order. To be honest, much like Hockenheim, this race is a bit of a blur to me so feel free to pipe in if anything stands out. I know I was side by side with Biggles(?) on the first lap between Savelli and Arrabiatta, but I put the power down too hard in the wet and oversteered right off the track, leaving me in last place. I think Flinx also went off the track at Palagio allowing me to get by again. But I can't remember getting by Biggles? Finishing order: PiotrB, mhm66, jjaisli, Flinx, SimcoeAce, akenathon with PiotrB taking the fastest lap with a 2:30.76, nearly 2 seconds clear of the field. Apparently he was the only one who thought to bring rain tires.

6. Spa - 20 minutes - Dry - FINAL RACE - Points Double

The final everybody was waiting for at the world's greatest race course. In truth, this race went by so quickly, I now wish that I had made it 30 minutes instead of 20. However, considering this race ended with Flinx literally breathing down the back of my neck at the finish line, it would likely have resulted in a different outcome had it gone another 10 minutes. In fact, in a confusing twist, the leaderboard actually listed him AHEAD of me, although we both believed I had crossed the line first, but just barely and by hundreds of a second. But one thing that probably wouldn't have changed, was PiotrB taking the lead on the first lap and maintaining it throughout the race.

For this last race we were joined by GTRP_greyhound. Without a doubt he was at a disadvantage entering the lobby late and not having the benefit of over an hours running with this car.

Try as I might, I couldn't hold off SimcoeAce and a few small errors here or there in succession allowed him to draft me on the Kemmel straight. Once by, I thought I would be able to maintain the tiny gap and get by him again, but much like Montreal, I found I was having a difficult time driving behind him, missing my braking points and understeering in places that I shouldn't have been. Perhaps it was the reflection of his maple leaf license plate. ;) For two laps I was able to hold the gap at <1.5 seconds but a mistake through Puhan drove the gap up to >4 seconds. With one lap to go I realized I probably wouldn't catch him and I eased my pace. Big mistake. Flinx was on a charge and cutting the time between us. I didn't realize until I was going through Blanchaimont and boy was I sweating. Coming into La Source, a small misjudgment on my braking point allowed him to almost touch me. Ineed, it seems the game decided to award my lack of judgement by awarding him the win. But so long as we both agree I crossed the line first, I'll take it. Final order: PiotrB, SimcoeAce, jjaisli, Flinx, mhm66, greyhound, with the fastest lap going to Piotrb at 3:02.64 - enough to smash the previous record by Sarrinen69. Out of sight!!! :eek:

So, adding up the points, (and I checked this twice) I couldn't ask for a more perfect, storybook finish:

1. PiotrB with 64
2. a THREE WAY TIE between SimcoeAce, mhm66 & jjaisli!!! :eek: with 36 each!
5. GTRP_Flinx just 5 points behind at 31
6. akenaton (although, he'll never know it)
7. GTRP_grehound.

Once again, I wanted to thank all the participants in this event. I had a fantastic time both putting this event together and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the racing. At some point in the next few weeks, I'll try and put a similar event together - perhaps with either the 250 GTO or 365-GTB.

And with any luck, this enthusiast account of the afternoon/evening will motivate others to join the next one. 👍 Hope to see you all again.

Nice write up jj.

I noticed hmh had some tough luck, putting a tire in the sand on the back straight at Misano - which is an absolutely deadly mistake on that track - & then getting the dreaded Eau Rouge chicane penalty at Spa - which put him out of contention early in that race. jj seemed to be pretty consistent throughout, although a bit "wobbly" at Montreal. Flink had some very fast laps but also made a couple of major errors at Hockenheim & Mugello which cost him positions.

For myself (aside from an absolute debacle at Monza, in which I managed to take out poor mhm repeatedly), I was very slow in the wet - I realize now that I had never run the TR in the rain before - & particularly slow at Misano, which I also realize I had never run before at all in the TR. Nevertheless, thanks to a decent performance at Spa, & jj's generous scoring system, I seem to have snuck into a 3-way tie for second. 👍

Anyway, it was great fun & some very impressive driving, particularly from PiotrB. We should do it again & perhaps get a few more drivers involved.

BTW: anyone wishing to lend a little moral support to my ongoing promotion of FC to the Prologue masses, please feel free to jump in anytime! :)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112837&page=21

hi jj and the others who took part in this event.
Great write-up jj.
I had so much fun.
HAd some great close battles at some tracks and ran alone at others.
Lets do it again some time.

Sorry for my late entry yesterday! It was still nice to have an online race, although I messed up in "O Rouge" right after the start I had a nice battle struggling with myself and the 250. Trying to keep up with you guys was sheer impossible. After seeing your laptimes at Spa of 3.02.xx, I was just wondering how you guys manage those laptimes? My fastest was a 3.07.xx! That's 5 seconds...

Thank you guys for all those kind words ! I must say that was best racing I ever did in Ferrari Challenge and it was close to my best races in ToCA Race Driver 3 which I consider as a best online racing game ever relased. Also big thanks to all you guys for a close and what is important CLEAN racing. I really respect people who don't need dirty tricks to win 👍.

For next event I suggest "Reverse Fastest Lap" grid order because yesterday "Random" grid order favor me a bit too much :).

doblocruiser
After seeing your laptimes at Spa of 3.02.xx, I was just wondering how you guys manage those laptimes? My fastest was a 3.07.xx! That's 5 seconds...
I think that the key to be fast in this car is to be really smooth. This car clearly don't favors aggressive drivers.

... jj seemed to be pretty consistent throughout, although a bit "wobbly" at Montreal. Flink had some very fast laps but also made a couple of major errors at Hockenheim & Mugello which cost him positions...

I just realized, I finished 3rd in every race except Hockenheim. 👍👎 :lol: I don't like just 'making up the numbers' but in this group I think I should be very happy with this result. I remember hesitating at Hockenheim when Flinx went off near turn 6 where as you managed to take advantage and blow by both of us cleanly. And that kind of quick thinking and reactions really gives you an edge. 👍 Well done. Montreal was a double edged sword. I knew it would be my fastest track, and that was indeed true as evidenced by the lap times. (It was the only time ANY of us could pull anything on PiotrB and not by much). But like Zedux mentioned with the FXX at Spa, I had a tough time maintaining control of my car in your air flow. Maybe it's supposed to be like this? :confused: But that's how it goes. :cool:

Oddly enough, I don't think mhm and I ever passed each other on the track. :confused: At least, not that I can remember. When I was ahead, I finished ahead. And when he was ahead, he did.

...anyway, it was great fun & some very impressive driving, particularly from PiotrB. We should do it again & perhaps get a few more drivers involved.

:) Thanks Biggles. I feel a bit vindicated now for trying to put together as large a lobby as the game an handle. Although it's unlikely we would have gotten together a 16 player grid with this car, just imagine a 30 minute race with a dozen class players. As we can see with PiotrB, in a race of 20 minutes or more, the faster drivers will eventually work their way to the front. 👍 Let's hope SuperCar Challenge can really make this a reality.

BTW: anyone wishing to lend a little moral support to my ongoing promotion of FC to the Prologue masses, please feel free to jump in anytime! :)

Well, you know I frequently post in this topic. Or at least I did. But like you, I've kind of felt as if I've said nearly everything I can and am now starting to repeat myself ad naseum. And there are others in that thread, who shall remain nameless, who've brought the term, "beating a dead horse" to new levels.

Incidentally, regarding your recent comments in that thread...

I just got off a series of FC online races with a group of first-class GTP racers, using the 1958 Ferrari Testa Rossa 250 at: Monza, Misano (in the rain), Hockenheim, Mugello (in the rain), & culminating in a 20 minute plus race at Spa. It just doesn't get any better than that, & honestly, at this point, GT5P just doesn't have anything to compare with that.

Well, I just feel, :embarrassed::):cool: Unless you ran another 250 event (that didn't include Montreal), you must be talking about...us.

Sorry for my late entry yesterday! It was still nice to have an online race, although I messed up in "O Rouge" right after the start I had a nice battle struggling with myself and the 250. Trying to keep up with you guys was sheer impossible. After seeing your laptimes at Spa of 3.02.xx, I was just wondering how you guys manage those laptimes? My fastest was a 3.07.xx! That's 5 seconds...

Well, in fairness, only one of us managed to get into the 3:02s. And he's not from this planet. (Even though he claims to be from Poland). ;) But his comments are spot on. The more you push this car, the slower your lap times will be. Smoothness is the key with the TR--like milk pouring into a glass. Don't spill the milk. :lol: But as I mentioned before, the fact that the rest of us in the lobby had been driving this car for the past hour gave us a decided advantage. Please don't let it discourage you from joining future events. 👍

For next event I suggest "Reverse Fastest Lap" grid order because yesterday "Random" grid order favor me a bit too much :).

I did consider this but: (1) This option does not work properly in Ferrari Challenge. The grid is often random no matter which option you select. I've already made a post in the Eutechnyx forums about it. And (2) I didn't out of self preservation. I know I've set some quick lap times with this car, including the lap record at Hockenheim and Montreal. And, well, knowing you were in the lobby, I figured if I started last, I would finish last. :embarrassed:

Thank you guys for all those kind words ! I must say that was best racing I ever did in Ferrari Challenge and it was close to my best races in ToCA Race Driver 3 which I consider as a best online racing game ever relased. Also big thanks to all you guys for a close and what is important CLEAN racing. I really respect people who don't need dirty tricks to win 👍.

PiotrB, I would suggest you might want to make a few comments in Biggles, "10 Reasons Why" thread. The more positive and objective comments that come from fast and respected drivers, hopefully the more quick GTPers will be willing to give Ferrari Challenge a chance. And in the end, the more quick people we have racing this game, the better it is for all of us.

In the end, I considered the 250TR series all about having fun. Of course it's hard NOT to try and win. (Just ask Biggles--I think I dented his car on EVERY side at Montreal) but I think everybody in the lobby (save our two Spanish friends) were motivated to have a good clean race and it showed.

I'm really pleased everybody enjoyed themselves. I'll definitely be putting together another one.

the more quick GTPers will be willing to give Ferrari Challenge a chance. And in the end, the more quick people we have racing this game, the better it is for all of us.

It always makes me laugh when the online search in FC defaults to the filter for one car, as if there is going to be to be a whole smorgesbord of lobbies to choose between. :rolleyes: On the other hand, everytime I go online, I see a bunch of my GTP friends online in GT5P, running the same freakin' track for the nine millionth time! :ouch:

It always makes me laugh when the online search in FC defaults to the filter for one car, as if there is going to be to be a whole smorgesbord of lobbies to choose between. :rolleyes: On the other hand, everytime I go online, I see a bunch of my GTP friends online in GT5P, running the same freakin' track for the nine millionth time! :ouch:

Thats just how good Gran Turismo is....you don't need many tracks or cars to have fun and I still return to it occasionally despite the fact I have driven the tracks to rediculous amounts.
Anyway, I think you'll find people prefer GT5P's bigger array of manufacturers to FC's bigger array of tracks.

Thats just how good Gran Turismo is....you don't need many tracks or cars to have fun and I still return to it occasionally despite the fact I have driven the tracks to rediculous amounts.
Anyway, I think you'll find people prefer GT5P's bigger array of manufacturers to FC's bigger array of tracks.

I agree Gt5p is very good in everything but I think it has a major flaw and the biggest of them all racing physics. I was in love with GT5p when it came out and with GT-HD prior to that but I never liked the physics and when Ferrari Challenge showed-up with it's PC counterpart SIM gameplay I saw for the first time a real sim physics for the PS3. I still love GT5p for a number of reasons but not for the physics and without this MAJOR requirement I prefer 10x more FC to GT5p. It amazes me how the GTR handles in the game compared to the real car and the list goes over all the cars. I indeed feel as I'm sailing a boat not racing a car in GT5p for it's rear-front center of gravity behaviors.

It all goes down to what you want in the end of the day! So if you want to have fun GT5p is a good game no it's awesome. But if you want a sim experience it's a joke to think GT5p can provide you that!

Last edited:

Personally, I would take tracks over cars any day. There are probably only about 10 cars I've driven regularly in GT5P & about the same number in FC. In F1CE there's very little variety in the cars, but 16 great tracks give endless replay value.

I agree Gt5p is very good in everything but I think it has a major flaw and the biggest of them all racing physics. I was in love with GT5p when it came out and with GT-HD prior to that but I never liked the physics and when Ferrari Challenge showed-up with it's PC counterpart SIM gameplay I saw for the first time a real sim physics for the PS3. I still love GT5p for a number of reasons but not for the physics and without this MAJOR requirement I prefer 10x more FC to GT5p. It amazes me how the GTR handles in the game compared to the real car and the list goes over all the cars. I indeed feel as I'm sailing a boat not racing a car in GT5p for it's rear-front center of gravity behaviors.

Funny that you should say thay Zedux, since many people seem to be disgusted by FC's physics:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112837&page=21

Back