Fears of microtransactions in GT6 addressed

• Thread starter Torgo
  • 213 comments
United States
United States
Torgo
Hey folks, this is Glenn from PS Nation.

Regarding fears of "heavy microtransactions" in GT6, I talked to PR and got this response:

"You don't need to spend anything to unlock events and cars, etc. We received lots of criticisms in GT5 about length of time needed to unlock things, so the purchase of in-game currency is all optional. If you want to earn it all, you can. If you want to purchase, you can as well but we don't force you to. It was misinterpreted when announced in our features list."

I've got about 15 hours of racing in, and I've seen no indication of any in the game. What's being referenced above is the fact that they'll be selling in-game credits on the PSN store for those that want to speed the progression process up.

The main question/issue/worry/assumption is, has the in game economy, particularly credit pay outs and vehicle costs, been significantly altered to incentivize (force) the use of micro transaction to progress through the game at a reasonable rate?

The main question/issue/worry/assumption is, has the in game economy, particularly credit pay outs and vehicle costs, been significantly altered to incentivize (force) the use of micro transaction to progress through the game at a reasonable rate?

Not that I've seen. It seems pretty-much the same as payouts in GT5 to me, as are car prices, and tuning costs etc.

Yeah, suits, helmets etc seem reasonable as well, at least to me. I haven't had any compulsion to buy credits or anything yet, and I've lived this game since Weds.
Thoughts on the game?

Any insights on the key focal points of the patch? I'm assuming you have a press version and they tend to have press packs that might explain differences of day one patches to ensure accurate impressions and reviews...

That's a relief,while I could easily afford to purchase said credits,it would kill the game for me..

Any insights on the key focal points of the patch? I'm assuming you have a press version and they tend to have press packs that might explain differences of day one patches to ensure accurate impressions and reviews...

Again, I can't comment on that, but the patch seems to add some features that aren't on the disk. I don't have a full list of what it does, and it's not available to me yet.

That's a relief,while I could easily afford to purchase said credits,it would kill the game for me..

Me too, I like that I have to make decisions on where and what I spend my credits on. It adds to the strategic aspect of the game to me. I already even had to sell a car in my garage to get one for a set of races. It adds a lot to the experience in my opinion. Things like Jeff Gordon's racing suit and how expensive it is doesn't even cross my mind, because I'd rather spend that money to expand my livery and upgrade some of those cars.

That's the thing though, what you folks are trying to get out of this game is probably pretty drastically different than what I am. I love the series, but I'm by no means a die-hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Erm the helmets have arguably gone DOWN in price since no seasonal paid 45k for first place.. they payed 200k- 500k on average. Theoretically speaking you would have to make * not spend but still the same amount of work* like a million credits to obtain two random helmets or clothes!

Yeah, a full outfit of one of the Nascar racers is 100,000cr, not sure what they are in GT5.

OK folks, back to working on the review. I still have a ton of work to do.

Yeah, a full outfit of one of the Nascar racers is 100,000cr, not sure what they are in GT5.

You didn't get to buy them in GT5,they were prizes for various things then they could get passed on via trading etc.

Helmets and suits were awards in GT5, you collected them for wining races. The racing suit pack was $2.99

Again, I can't comment on that, but the patch seems to add some features that aren't on the disk. I don't have a full list of what it does, and it's not available to me yet.
When you do finalize your review, IMO it would be good to let those that are still on the fence know how the A-Spec and B-Spec is/isn't intertwined and what you can do differently in Photo Mode (including replay difference in replay functionalities) or Photo Travel if you're given enough time to review them before/after the Day 1 update is released.

I'm more of a casual (but still love to push myself) kind of GT player, but letting people know of the little nuances that benefit GT6 that weren't there in GT5, or hindered the experience in any way, would be good considering how deep GT games can be (with certain features or qualities not being known about the game until its been played a long period of time). Another tip coming from a "non-reviewer": maybe you can state that there will be an update to your review with pre- and post- "Day 1 update" views and scores.

The problem with GT5 reviews were that they came too soon to seemingly beat every other reviewer to the punch and weren't thorough enough. If your initial review is "good" enough, then it could be a benefit given the fact that people will know that you'll be giving further thoughts of GT6 after playing through it more in depth while acknowledging that there's more than can be covered (to put/say it simply). Just IMO, it would do good for the many that were finding GT5 reviews misleading whether the reviewers' points were pros or cons. Sorry if I'm out of my element and asking something that isn't allowed.

Those are the higher-level items, and the way I play teh game, I really haven't though much about that. It's not very difficult to earn 45,000 credits anyway.

Exactly. And nobody's forcing you to buy ALL of suits or helmets. Besides, you can't really see them while you're driving. Personally, I find myself hardly paying any attention to competitors' suits when I race in GT5 or watch racing on TV.

Also why were people so worried about microtransactions? To me it was obvious that it only concerned credits.
Unless we're talking about the situation where we're worried that if we can buy credits, it might go deeper soon, in which case ignore that question.

Well, things like implementing microtransactions need to be kept in-check. If you look at what MS is doing on the XBone, you can definitely see that they're on the road to making the price of a game double. When a car in Forza 5 costs the equivalent of $100, there's definitely a cause for concern.

I don't see how this addresses the matter. Not even in Free To Play games you are actually "required" to spend anything. But surely, you are very encouraged to.

I don't see how this addresses the matter. Not even in Free To Play games you are actually "required" to spend anything. But surely, you are very encouraged to.

But in those situations, they usually try to compel players into spending real money by making progression slower in various ways. I don't see that happening in GT6.

Thanks for the input really appreciated. I knew it would work out this way and never really doubted any other way. Also am sure with seasonal events coming through after release date, money will/was never a problem in the GT series. Please update/remind us when your review would be out (the 6th am guessing?). Would love to read it. Thanks again Glenn

Thanks for the input really appreciated. I knew it would work out this way and never really doubted any other way. Also am sure with seasonal events coming through after release date, money will/was never a problem in the GT series. Please update/remind us when your review would be out (the 6th am guessing?). Would love to read it. Thanks again Glenn

Yeah, I think the embargo lifts at 2 a.m. Central time on Friday morning.

No offense, but of course they are going to say that. Honestly, what do you expect them to say when they are trying to sell millions of copies of a video game, days before release?

That's like asking somebody on craigslist, before you are about to buy their car, "did you drive the car hard?" .. what would be the automatic response to that question?

And even if it isn't outwardly apparent to you at this point, what is to stop them from tweaking things in this direction as patches are introduced over time?

I also own the game, and have since Friday.

The game has all the classic signs of "nextgenification":

+ Less content
+ More linear
+ More dumbed down from even GT5 standards

One person even beat the entire game and got to end credits in less than 2 days ... can you imagine that happening on the first 3 versions?

Back