Fears of microtransactions in GT6 addressed

• Thread starter Torgo
  • 213 comments
Those are the higher-level items, and the way I play teh game, I really haven't though much about that. It's not very difficult to earn 45,000 credits anyway.

I can't give any thoughts or impressions until the review embargo lifts on Friday morning. Sorry.
So there is an embargo? Boo.

I also own the game, and have since Friday.

The game has all the classic signs of "nextgenification":

+ Less content
+ More linear
+ More dumbed down from even GT5 standards

One person even beat the entire game and got to end credits in less than 2 days ... can you imagine that happening on the first 3 versions?
But he got the 1st ending (Assuming there are 2) by skipping most of the races. He had less than half the stars.

+ Less content
+ More linear

One person even beat the entire game and got to end credits in less than 2 days ... can you imagine that happening on the first 3 versions?

That is not confidence inspiring. Getting closer and closer to waiting for this title in the used bin. Might not be long of wait.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I think the embargo lifts at 2 a.m. Central time on Friday morning.

So,your review comes out the same day as the "patch with all the added features". How are you going to give an accurate review of the complete game on the 6th?

Or,are you saying the game is great as is,but more features are coming?

Hey folks, this is Glenn from PS Nation.

Regarding fears of "heavy microtransactions" in GT6, I talked to PR and got this response:

"You don't need to spend anything to unlock events and cars, etc. We received lots of criticisms in GT5 about length of time needed to unlock things, so the purchase of in-game currency is all optional. If you want to earn it all, you can. If you want to purchase, you can as well but we don't force you to. It was misinterpreted when announced in our features list."

I've got about 15 hours of racing in, and I've seen no indication of any in the game. What's being referenced above is the fact that they'll be selling in-game credits on the PSN store for those that want to speed the progression process up.

My only issue with this is it doesn't give us any indication toward the big picture which is the online community which you nor anyone else but PD can shed light on. And we know if PD talks about it, they'll give loaded info.

Also all of what you said and found is nice, but was already talked about prior to this, and most people realized you didn't have to buy it, but may be inclined to do so. IT also doesn't tell us how they justify nearly half the game price needing to be spent to get a certain amount of in game credits. Not trying to be rude or knock down what you've gathered but I feel the OP was obvious, and if it wasn't for some obviously they weren't paying attention.

Not seeing how this alleviates issues, and I know you probably were trying to get a more precise understanding of the situation from what your post say.

So,your review comes out the same day as the "patch with all the added features". How are you going to give an accurate review of the complete game on the 6th?

Ofcourse he's going to say its great. Or he's not allowed to play it again before release for a review. That's how it works nowadays with between the press and the developer.

Haven't you ever noticed the big-game developers get extremelyy high ratings and the under-rated developers get lower ratings? Alot of people buy the game depending on the review, so the developer pays the reviewer to give it a high rating. The under-rated developers don't have the money to do such a thing so they get a lower rating or an honest rating. Or the developers actually pay the reviewer to give the concurring game (FIFA - PES etc.)/under-rated developer a lower rating.

How do you think they can afford near ad-less magazines? With honest ratings and no payments? Think again.

Ofcourse he's going to say its great. Or he's not allowed to play it again before release for a review. That's how it works nowadays with between the press and the developer.

Haven't you ever noticed the big-game developers get extremelyy high ratings and the under-rated developers get lower ratings? Alot of people buy the game depending on the review, so the developer pays the reviewer to give it a high rating. The under-rated developers don't have the money to do such a thing so they get a lower rating or an honest rating. Or the developers actually pay the reviewer to give the concurring game (FIFA - PES etc.)/under-rated developer a lower rating.

How do you think they can afford near ad-less magazines? With honest ratings and no payments? Think again.

This is my point. He's saying that he can't talk about it but is saying its great. And comparing it to GT5 saying it's better,but it seems that he doesn't remember GT5..

common, you cant get all, always people with conspiracy in mind.
The game will be great and as great as it can be on ps3.

common, you cant get all, always people with conspiracy in mind.
The game will be great and as great as it can be on ps3.

It's not conspiracy. I know it happens. That's the only thing companies care about. Money.

And why is it always conspiracy anyway? Maybe everyone is in denial.

Ok back to the topic. He's saying is that you won't have to buy in game credits with real money to complete the game. I'll keep that in mind next week while I'm playing.

I'm expecting to have the patch earlier than Friday. If I do not, it will be noted in the review.

Yeah, that's not true at all. I don't get paid to do this as PS Nation is completely a hobby for myself and our crew. If you want to be "that guy" spouting-off about some crazy conspiracies, be my guest. I never once gave any impression as to the game being "great" or anything else because I'm bound by an embargo. I'm not sure what magazine you speak of, because we don't have one.

i AM allowed to play it whenever I want, because I have the disc in my personal PS3 right now (listening to the smooth jazz as I type this.) I rate games based on my level of enjoyment, and that's it.

Get over yourself a bit and remember that we're talking about video games. They're supposed to be 'fun', remember?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's not true at all. I don't get paid to do this as PS Nation is completely a hobby for myself and our crew. If you want to be "that guy" spouting-off about some crazy conspiracies, be my guest. I never once gave any impression as to the game being "great" or anything else because I'm bound by an embargo. I'm not sure what magazine you speak of, because we don't have one.

i AM allowed to play it whenever I want, because I have the disc in my personal right now (listening to the smooth jazz as I type this.) I rate games based on my level of enjoyment, and that's it.

Get over yourself a bit and remember that we're talking about video games. They're supposed to be 'fun', remember?

Oh no I'm not talking about you in partucular. And don't take it personally either. I'm just saying I know it happens. Alot.

How does GT6 have less content 0.0

No license tests, no used cars, linear racing progression with limited options.

There's more cars and tracks but the career mode just seems void of depth and variety. So maybe "less content" isn't the right word to describe the disappointment. Lets go with less depth, less variety, less complexity.

i AM allowed to play it whenever I want, because I have the disc in my personal right now (listening to the smooth jazz as I type this.) I rate games based on my level of enjoyment, and that's it.

Nobody thinks that you are paid directly. But lets face it, getting free early games, and having direct line of communication with game industry insiders, probably makes it hard to be overly critical right?

And people take their hobbies seriously. Video games are big business. A company like EA — and Activision, Ubisoft, Nintendo, and Sony, etc. — merits just as much scrutiny as any other business that plays a leading role in a multibillion-dollar industry. It’s only a fractured, antiquated public perception that video games are somehow frivolous holdovers from childhood that allows games, game companies, and the people that cover them, to be void of criticism.

Last edited:
This is a fan forum,so people that are fans can take something that is suppose to be fun very seriously.

Also,as fans we want to hear reviews from other fans,not just gamer reviews. But I look forward to your review.

There's more cars and tracks but the career mode just seems void of depth and variety. So maybe "less content" isn't the right word to describe the disappointment. Lets go with less depth, less variety, less complexity.

Nobody thinks that you are paid directly. But lets face it, getting free early games, and having direct line of communication with game industry insiders, probably makes it hard to be overly critical right?

And people take their hobbies seriously. Video games are big business. A company like EA — and Activision, Ubisoft, Nintendo, and Sony, etc. — merits just as much scrutiny as any other business that plays a leading role in a multibillion-dollar industry. It’s only a fractured, antiquated public perception that video games are somehow frivolous holdovers from childhood that allows games, game companies, and the people that cover them, to be void of criticism.
You don't even have the day one patch, genius.

And people take their hobbies seriously. Video games are big business. A company like EA — and Activision, Ubisoft, Nintendo, and Sony, etc. — merits just as much scrutiny as any other business that plays a leading role in a multibillion-dollar industry. It’s only a fractured, antiquated public perception that video games are somehow frivolous holdovers from childhood that allows game companies to be void of criticism.

There ARE license tests.

"Getting free games" is hilarious to me. I've personally spent WAY more money than I could ever recoup by getting a $60 game for free, along with the fact that I've spent every waking minute of my free-time since Weds working on the review for this game. No one ever thinks of that, which is why I laugh when someone starts a blog or podcast so that companies will send them a game. We've worked our asses off to build relationships with these publishers, and nothing has ever simply been handed to us. We do this because we love it, but don't think for a minute that we conduct ourselves like the corporate entities do. Fan sites like ours are really the only sites that I can even respect these days, and my hat's off to the people that go through what we do. I love what we get to do, and I'm suprised every day that we're included, but it's not out of some kind of idea that we "deserve" it, it took YEARS of hard work to get where we are.

This is a fan forum,so people that are fans can take something that is suppose to be fun very seriously.

Also,as fans we want to hear reviews from other fans,not just gamer reviews. But I look forward to your review.
Yes, that's perfectly structured... You can't put an old lady without a license to test drive the new Lotus elise, the same way, you can't have a casual gamer review GT, as what is fun for you, wouldnt be fun for me... for example: i find fighting for positions fun, you find winning fun; you find a car that handles without spinning out fun, i like a car that's on the edge when driven to the limit and so on.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the series, I'm just not a die-hard that knows the ins-and-outs of every aspect of the game. We don't handle our reviews like the bigger sites and just randomly assign them to whomever is next in a rotation. We review the games that we're excited about.

Let's just hope they don't have bad surprises in future patch, if not enough people will buy credits.
I'll wait day one patch to be sure about the initial situation.

You lost credibility with this post by saying theres no license tests. Theres a license test right at the end of "Novice" level. :lol:

@Torgo did they mention how much credits would cost? I saw on a polish game site they were accepting preorders on 2.5 million credits for $27... which is absolutely ridiculous. Is there any truth behind that (if you know)?

Thanks.
@Jordan this thread might be newsworthy, not sure if you saw it yet

Last edited:
@Torgo did they mention how much credits would cost? I saw on a polish game site they were accepting preorders on 2.5 million credits for $27... which is absolutely ridiculous. Is there any truth behind that (if you know)?

Thanks.

No they did not. I have a feeling they'll be in the store update this week though, since the game hits on Friday.

personally i'm all for not making in game credits too easy to get... If it takes someone 10 hours to grind out 10 million credits, load times and all with successful racing, then it should be indexed so that a million credits takes $5-$10... that's reasonable for any references that "time is money"... Not so easy to get Sauber C9 or Chapparel 2J with a couple of dollars but not $100.00 for a car either... have to make the game available to those that work 1 or 2 jobs and can't really grind it out all day but not ruin it for those that do so that they feel cheated... Gotta consider both sides of the coin... Anyway I'm taking a couple of days off to play it and I can't wait!!!!

Amazon UK already have prices up for the credit which are a total joke. I am and always will be against Mini-transactions specifically in a full blown game and/when its put behind a pay wall, but like I stated before i know GT6 has not gone down that route (unlike other franchises but I will not go into that). But the day it does I will not even buy the game and this goes for other companies too not just the GT series. But I do have faith that will not be the case.

Prices and links:

1 Million in-game credits: £7.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GX8H920/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

2.5 Million in-game credits: £15.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GX8H8Y4/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

81iWmbsjmBL._SL1500_.jpg

Also, I'm a huge fan of the series, I'm just not a die-hard that knows the ins-and-outs of every aspect of the game. We don't handle our reviews like the bigger sites and just randomly assign them to whomever is next in a rotation. We review the games that we're excited about.
I'm glad to hear you're a fan of the franchise, and not a diehard. I too, am a fan of GT as well. Causal if you will. :)

Those are the higher-level items, and the way I play teh game, I really haven't though much about that. It's not very difficult to earn 45,000 credits anyway.

I can't give any thoughts or impressions until the review embargo lifts on Friday morning. Sorry.
How much do races on average pay out???

+ Less content
+ More linear

Define 'beat the entire game'-because there's a difference between reaching the end credits (by beating what I assume is the GT World Championship, as it was in GT5) and 100% completion

Last edited:
Back