Features that I think PD should implement in Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter o000o
  • 65 comments
What I want (well, aside from offline saving):

uv0C6uX.png

GT4-style mock-ups too, 'cause why not?
alod8v8.png

aP7QXQH.png
What the heck. Was this in GT4? I don't remember it.
Kaz is really a photography fan as his second hobby, isn't he?

Last edited:

uv0C6uX.png

alod8v8.png

aP7QXQH.png
Yeah, of course. If they wanna lean into photo mode stuff, why not go all out with it?

Niche, sure. I don't agree that gating options behind progression is a bad thing though, in fact it's GT's bread and butter. Besides, realistically the difference between the various simulated cameras wouldn't be nearly as big as on the car side of things... people will be able to get a camera equivalent of a Skyline and stick with it since most of the other cameras would just be slightly different Skylines, and the ones that aren't Skyline equivalents would just generally be worse and only for the niche.

As for it being a strict downgrade, fully path traced images would definitely not be a downgrade. They'd be more photorealistic than the currently used rasterization technique (or GT7's presumable rasterization with some raytracing), with the downside being that they'd be prone to imperfections such as image noise... blemishes that would be more understandable for the end user if contextualized as simulating film, not to mention contextualizing the long rendering time as it being developed/processed. And they could still offer the basic rasterization photo mode for people who just want quick images or who didn't want any image noise.

And regarding the appeal of photography gameplay, I think the appeal of such a mode could extend beyond photographers just as GT's extends beyond car enthusiasts... or, in some cases, inspire people to get into it. I mean, photo modes in games kinda already do that... so an audaciously over-the-top photo mode that radiated the same passion as the carpg side of GT just might be similarly infectious. Aside from RPG progression being a fun gameplay loop that lots of people enjoy, I think both cars and cameras have a similar sort of appeal in terms of ownership. But even if someone wasn't interested in all that, I think most people could find some enjoyment in photo missions that afforded the opportunity to explore tracks on foot in first-person, take photos from the stands, maybe even explore the interiors of buildings or photograph virtual car conventions.
Late response, but for you to be serious over this, real unusual stuff to be suggested with, though it's something that is not the most appealing to masses or being the least likely to be implemented (doesn't take the right from you to suggest that though, though I do want to hear your reasonings too, and I guess you did here). The part of simulating film or exploring tracks, that'd be probably relate the most to either my Preview Event (probably extend it like your suggestion to fully explore) or Replay suggestion, though the Walk Mode for the replay is outright non-human, I'd want for it to be Counter Strike-like, that you can elevate the view as much as you like (like flying), etc.
I can see where it separates the players that want to just free roam and those that actually do want to wander and photograph.
If players have to achieve anything to participate in unlocking a camera to access the pit area or grand stand or just outside the gates of a circuit or at sections of Pike's Peak, it could put many off. However, I could see PD doing just that and it would be inline with the rest of the game.
Like above, this'd be an extension of older GT's Preview feature instead of only Scapes, to do more on the track instead of just a replay of opponents racing.
1633355638529.png

Last edited:
One small (or maybe not so small?) thing; being able to see wheel camber in GTA Auto/ photo mode.

From the recent PS Showcase video and the screens, I could see adjusted right height, but no camber ':/

GT League could do all of the following:

Time Attack
Hillclimbs
Drag Racing
Drifting

All of which represent real motorsport disciplines without adding any new tracks.

PD have dipped their toes in the water with most of these features before, but abandoned them before they made full use of them.

Casual players would go absolutely nuts for a top speed competition. It would be fun and easy to implement on SSRX or any superspeedway they add. It would be like the Machine test in GT1, but with benchmark speeds and as an online lobby mode.

Last edited:

Time Attack
Hillclimbs
Drag Racing
Drifting

All of which represent real motorsport disciplines without adding any new tracks.

PD have dipped their toes in the water with most of these features before, but abandoned them before they made full use of them.

Casual players would go absolutely nuts for a top speed competition. It would be fun and easy to implement on SSRX or any superspeedway they add. It would be like the Machine test in GT1, but with benchmark speeds and as an online lobby mode.
Man, thats what I thought with the old Top Gear layout. Players would just run back & forth in lobbies. Big fun.
If PD had a wide straight, to accommodate 16+ cars, an all out acceleration option would be awesome. Lights & GT blip countdown and BAM! Add Shuffle Race option and everyone wins.

I haven't played Gran Turismo since GT2, I've been a Forza player ever since. What I found made Forza more accessible is the red braking line and the rewind feature. Obviously these aren't "sim" type features but was the difference between me only playing GT2 and the early Forza games for a short while and finishing completely the latest Forza Motorsport and Horizon games. Are there similar features expected in GT7 as I'm thinking of buying a PS5 purely to play it.

Time Attack
Don't know where do you get that the name of GT7 events is GT League, but Licenses are pretty much GT's time attacks.....and Circuit Experiences.
But there are those that'd reject drifting due to it not being racing categorically. with some racing games already forcing you to do drift events to progress, like Shift, etc. Aren't you someone who'd prefer PD improving the already existing racing (drifting =/= racing)/AI system? From your view on modes like Scapes or such. i'd think drifting probably reinforces the use of less powered car more like probably Silvia Q's (compared to K's) though.
It's one of GTS' tracks so it should return... but the License screenshots currently didn't use that as the start/stop track (like GT6 did, and it's a replacement of Test Course anyway) instead it's High Speed Ring. I'd like for dyno as another option for Machine tests too.

Don't know where do you get that the name of GT7 events is GT League, but Licenses are pretty much GT's time attacks.....and Circuit Experiences.

GT League is shorthand for career mode.

Having Time Attack as an actual event with actual competitors adds immersion, something that licenses do not.

But there are those that'd reject drifting due to it not being racing categorically. with some racing games already forcing you to do drift events to progress, like Shift, etc.

That's okay. Not everyone will like everything, and licenses are even less related to actual motorsport than drifting is. I think something that's done well should not be too much of a burden on PD.

Aren't you someone who'd prefer PD improving the already existing racing (drifting =/= racing)/AI system?

Yes I am. AI for racing should be at the top of the priority list, and I would want PD to hire someone who can program it properly, because theyre what I assume as incapable of adequately upskilling the people they have. Only once thats done should they expand the scope of AI to drifting. I suspect that good AI for racing naturally leads to good AI for the other.

From your view on modes like Scapes or such. i'd think drifting probably reinforces the use of less powered car more like probably Silvia Q's (compared to K's) though.

What I don't like about scapes is that it is a secondary feature in a racing game getting an extraordinarily disproportionate amount of effort put into it at the expense of the racing experience. Especially when core features and even the graphics of the actual track landscapes are lacking.

Last edited:

uv0C6uX.png

alod8v8.png

aP7QXQH.png
I would love that! They should make an official expansion pack out of this :D They could even make some "license test"-style tutorials to teach you the basics of photography.

We’ve had drifting cars in pas5 games and a current one in GT Sport. Yet, no real events to utilise them. A Time Attack car for a specific location, but can’t use it at the exact location. However, PD are giving us Time Trials with different cars, but I do like the idea of having a Sport Mode Lobby to participate in Live drift trials and Time attacks.

A World Time Attack event would be awesome.

We’ve had drifting cars in pas5 games and a current one in GT Sport. Yet, no real events to utilise them. A Time Attack car for a specific location, but can’t use it at the exact location. However, PD are giving us Time Trials with different cars, but I do like the idea of having a Sport Mode Lobby to participate in Live drift trials and Time attacks.

A World Time Attack event would be awesome.

I'm actually thinking of running an online time attack series just like this.

Last edited:

Time Attack
Hillclimbs
Drag Racing
Drifting

Expanding on this idea of hillclimbs further you could have stages like the below used. Obviously they arent spectacular., but narrow some sections with hay bales and add some temporary chicanes like you would see with actual hillclimbs and you have something resembling an improvised amateur event. It would be used with Group B and would be far better than the Northern Isle Speedway infield crap they dished up.

kyotohillclimb.png
maggiorehillclimb.png
Stcroixstage.png
alsacestage.png

Last edited:
This is what I mean with bringing Practice Mode with the AI, from GT4.

We have the Tourist layout and would be awesome to see multiple cars entering and exiting the course as we test new cars, favourites and setting up to watch replays.

I also think an on/off for fuel/tyre wear all the time, should be an option. Even for Arcade. Default 1x. Early races are a couple laps. Wouldn’t make a difference in performance.

It could, but I certainly wouldn't tie everything into them like in GT5. There's no reason to lock cars behind a level in a game like Gran Turismo when they're already locked behind thier in game Cr cost. It could work, but they'd just need to balance it well, unlike GT5.

The alternative is to have everything unlocked from the start, which could work well in tandem with a calendar system like you and I have both mentioned, or to link events to licenses as they previousely have been.
Actually fair enough if you'd know that experience shouldn't be tied into everything like GT5. The events (like iirc irl) would be organized no matter what's the player's current state, so if the calendar shows an event a player can't enter currently (either due to License or experience), then yeah they can't follow it, only can in the next cycle, but more regarding it below.
Yes you could easilly over complicate such a system and make it too difficult to find the events you're after or slow moving between races. At the end of each race there could easilly be a summary page that shows what you need to do before the next race i.e. repair the car, change oil, change tyres etc. And as long as that fits within the week (which it should) there should be an option to proceed with that work and jump to the next race weekend in a single click.

But the option would be there for those who want to go and browse, buy cars, do other stuff in the time between the races if they want to.
Yeah, the calendar system I envisioned is primarily meant to give only more advantage to the players, like browse, buy cars, repair, do other stuff, etc. like when you Suspend Championship; and the calendar system's difference to previous game is primarily only about more and varied numbers of the days to be skipped (where iirc GT4 skips 1 day for most activities), and changing little, if any, of the game's structure (I think what I meant for basing it on GT's identity), except probably the season system (like Sunday Cup being set on different, but similar difficulty level tracks next year, using system similar to GT2's random course to set the tracks) or motorsport races set on a fixed date. And the B-Spec team management crew upgrade is done so there can be more activities to be done between the races.

I did say about clicking on any date when opening a calendar (and right away by clicking the date in Status Window), to advance the time into that day, probably even planning to let players skip time into a date in next year or such for unaccessible event like above if players have fulfilled the requirement long after the event is organized, though dunno if that'd be too ridiculous. It can be even a further advantage that there's a shortcut provided by the calendar from Status Window, like to jump into the next event right away without accessing the event menu (no, I don't meant to change the event menu into calendars for "too difficult to find the events", the calendar menu is only accessed from Status Window or probably garage).

What I'm thinking otherwise is about the tuning or buying/selling cars part, like the choice to get the parts/cars right away and skip days (like previous GT) or not skipping the day but not getting your stuff until the day is passed at certain number of them, like "Do you want to install this now?" "Yes" & "No", with additional "skip days to get the part right away", "wait for the days to advance" or something like that, either making it 4 option or more menu questions. While adding an option for the calendar to automatically skip days (and get your stuff right away) or automatically not is nothing wrong to implement, would prefer for the players to be given a freedom to choose in any of the activity they do, but some players wouldn't like more questions.

Last edited:
Yeah, of course. If they wanna lean into photo mode stuff, why not go all out with it?

And regarding the appeal of photography gameplay, I think the appeal of such a mode could extend beyond photographers just as GT's extends beyond car enthusiasts... or, in some cases, inspire people to get into it. I mean, photo modes in games kinda already do that... so an audaciously over-the-top photo mode that radiated the same passion as the carpg side of GT just might be similarly infectious.
GT5's Photo Travel is what got me into understanding the principles of photography, so you're not far off the mark on that one.

Just one small feature I'd like to see. In the bottom right corner "display" of the racing HUD, where in GTS it shows either the map, the radar, ABS, fuel economy options, etc, just add a display where it shows real time 0-60, 1/4 mile and 1000m times. Also add an option (using the directional buttons) to save and another to reset the values, so it record again those times. Would pretty much be a performance box added to the HUD options, allowing players to improve their skills, and also test different setups.

GT League is shorthand for career mode.

Having Time Attack as an actual event with actual competitors adds immersion, something that licenses do not.
So that's like offline & online in races, with Licenses for offline and the Time Attack event for online.
That's okay. Not everyone will like everything, and licenses are even less related to actual motorsport than drifting is. I think something that's done well should not be too much of a burden on PD.
Me too actually wanting for implementation for other kind of events, but not a kind that forces people to do that.
This is what I mean with bringing Practice Mode with the AI, from GT4.

We have the Tourist layout and would be awesome to see multiple cars entering and exiting the course as we test new cars, favourites and setting up to watch replays.

I also think an on/off for fuel/tyre wear all the time, should be an option. Even for Arcade. Default 1x. Early races are a couple laps. Wouldn’t make a difference in performance.

I'd like for the Circuit Experience to be integrated in Practice mode (timed for either sectors and all tracks).
Just one small feature I'd like to see. In the bottom right corner "display" of the racing HUD, where in GTS it shows either the map, the radar, ABS, fuel economy options, etc, just add a display where it shows real time 0-60, 1/4 mile and 1000m times. Also add an option (using the directional buttons) to save and another to reset the values, so it record again those times. Would pretty much be a performance box added to the HUD options, allowing players to improve their skills, and also test different setups.
One of features that GT should bring back but also evolve; the Power & Speed feature, it's meant to test car's performance, but in previous it was only the time it takes to cross certain distance.

1. sort out the crap lobby's
  2. allow to save/make your own tournaments in custom races with points & cars from your garage
  3. the livery editor is great but add to it by being able to customise all the car inc tyres etc - make it usable from the website with file saving tool, all as additional option to the one via the console
not a lot to ask for ?

Last edited:
  1. sort out the crap lobby's
  2. allow to save/make your own tournaments in custom races with points & cars from your garage
  3. the livery editor is great but add to it by being able to customise all the car inc tyres etc - make it usable from the website with file saving tool, all as additional option to the one via the console
not a lot to ask for ?
Forget about this thread's existence. Was something full of delusion and irrational GT wanking.

Last edited:
Incorporate a option to adjust FOV into drivers view and a bit finer control to drivers seating height & distance, this is a option that most racing titles these day implement.
Yes! It was much better in GT Sport btw. Can't understand why they now limit the adjustment in GT7.

And better FOV slider. I don't want to sit in the back seat all the time.
GT5 as far as I know is the only GT game that actually had an FOV adjuster, but no slider.

Chase cam adjustment also needs work. The chase cam heights going from car to car are not consistent at all, and need to be changed. It's a pretty annoying human error that never got fixed during the GT Sport era, and still exists in GT7.

what about missiles ? ............just for a day...............BIG MISSILES :D

Edit.........i say this as I'm normally the one behind the other drivers

Last edited:
With the wide FOV as it is now, the sense of speed is thrown off, because it makes you feel as if your going faster that you actually going are.
In the last decade most racing games have made FOV & seat adjustments standard.

What are people's thoughts on GT7 classifying all their road vehicles like Forza does (eg. Classic Muscle, Supercar, Modern Rally etc.) so that the Daily races can have more variety, not just Gr3, Gr4 etc?

What are people's thoughts on GT7 classifying all their road vehicles like Forza does (eg. Classic Muscle, Supercar, Modern Rally etc.) so that the Daily races can have more variety, not just Gr3, Gr4 etc?

I would love them to implement real categories for street cars but also rework completely the race car categories, for me Gr. 1 is just a complete mess whereas in Forza 7 you have "early prototypes" for Group C, WSC and LMP cars up to 2000 and "forza P1" for more modern LMP and Hypercars

Back