Ferrari 488 Pista 2019

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 164 comments
Pilota is only available to those in the XX Programme and said to be a Pista with a new, unique livery and some tweaks.
So, as far as i guess it, Pilota is a track-only XX version of Pista with tweaks that up its performance but make it street-illegal?

Thinking about it, the 2.2 second time might be real.

For one, its main competitor, the 720S, has been timed at 2.5 seconds. It’s well known that the 720S makes more power than what McLaren claimed, so it’s possible that Ferrari have done the same for this one.

Secondly, the launch control. It sounds like it’s using some kind of anti-lag, instead of holding the revs at a specific point to let boost build up. So, it’s probably making as much power as it can when it does launch. Power bands, and such.

But still, part of me thinks it’s just Ferrari being Ferrari and giving their press cars absurd amounts of power compared to the customer cars.

Being this was a prototype vehicle I wouldn't put it past them to have cranked up the power or in some other way jeopardize the longevity of the rest of the drivetrain. It's actually not unheard of during the development and durability phase to map the power output to much higher levels than what will be on the final production vehicle. Other times they may drop the power far below to run other tests.

However, if you're going to let members of the press behind the wheel you don't really want to go too insane as that would cause the final product to be drastically different. But it's Ferrari so who knows.

So, as far as i guess it, Pilota is a track-only XX version of Pista with tweaks that up its performance but make it street-illegal?
My understanding is that it’s not street legal. Sounds more like another toy for the XX Programme if anything.

Ferrari unveiled the 488 Pista Spider at Pebble Beach

6b28a98f-ferrari-488-pista-spider-2.jpg

26353fe8-ferrari-488-pista-spider-3.jpg
d4e30aab-ferrari-488-pista-spider-4.jpg

85525e86-ferrari-488-pista-spider-5.jpg

d19a0581-ferrari-488-pista-spider-7.jpg

I don’t think the Aperta and coupes have ever been revealed so close to each other. They’re barely getting coupes into owners’ hands as it is.

That is one beautiful car right there. Except for the interior. The dash looks complicated and a mixture of different dashboard parts put together.

The 488 sure is one sorry looking car after the 458, but the Pista has an animal magic all of its own.

Back