Ferrari 488 Pista 2019

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 164 comments
Those are just packages. Optional extras for the trim.

giphy.gif

I'm right about the model (at least according to wikipedia). I think the package is the trim level? I'm totally lost at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E46)

woah.gif

I'm right about the model (at least according to wikipedia). I think the package is the trim level? I'm totally lost at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E46)
It's only confusing because BMW uses a weirder naming scheme than everyone else. According to their BMW USA website, they also call the 330i, 340i, etc as different models, but that wouldn't make much sense since every single car would be a different "model". I think it's just how they market them.

Take Mercedes for example. The S-Class and A-Class are distinctly different models. Then there's the S550, S600, S65 AMG, etc. They're different trim levels for the same car model. For BMW, the 3-Series and 7-Series are different models. But each of them have similar levels, 330i, 340i and 740i, 750i.

It's only confusing because BMW uses a weirder naming scheme than everyone else. According to their BMW USA website, they also call the 330i, 340i, etc as different models, but that wouldn't make much sense since every single car would be a different "model". I think it's just how they market them.

Take Mercedes for example. The S-Class and A-Class are distinctly different models. Then there's the S550, S600, S65 AMG, etc. They're different trim levels for the same car model. For BMW, the 3-Series and 7-Series are different models. But each of them have similar levels, 330i, 340i and 740i, 750i.

Ok I spent a little time reading about this and as best I can tell you're right with the above sentiment - each manufacturer takes their own approach to what is a trim and what is a model. I would not have expected the Pista to be a trim, but that's Ferrari's call.

I'm right about the model (at least according to wikipedia). I think the package is the trim level? I'm totally lost at this.
I wouldn't worry - there's no industry standard for this whatsoever.

Even within a manufacturer, the terms specification, trim and grade may be used to mean different things at different times - or the same thing.

For your example of the 3-Series, I'd say it ought to be:
Make: BMW
Model: 3-Series
Specification: 320d, 325i, 330i
Trim/Grade: SE, Sport, Luxury, M Sport

"M3" may be specification and trim and grade, as it refers to the engine and specific equipment.

But there's no industry-wide standard for this at all.

BMWs own (UK) website for the 3-series features four distinctly different models - Saloon - Touring - GranTurismo & iPerformance Saloon (plug-in hybrid) In the iPerformance blurb it states it's 'available in different trim levels' - SE - Sport and M Sport. These are the 'trim levels' everything else is either a separate model (body style) or engine choice. BMW, Audi and Merc all make a clear distinction between the regular, say, 3/4 series and it's derivatives and the performance M4/RS4/AMG because they've always been much more than just an engine and trim choice, there's much more engineering differences between them and even the highest spec regular models they're based on. 'Trim' is just that - bits and pieces added to the standard model.

The 488 Pista is more than just a trim level of the regular 488. I bet less than 50% of the components are interchangeable even though visually they're similar looking.

I like the looks of it but I was thinking it would be named the 488 GTO, like a mid engine tribute to the 288 GTO in 1984.

I like the looks of it but I was thinking it would be named the 488 GTO, like a mid engine tribute to the 288 GTO in 1984.
I think the GTO name is much better suited on this thing than a 599 thats for sure...

I don't hate the name, but as with the 430 Scuderia & 458 Speciale I keep wondering why each special edition needs it's own name.

360 Challenge Stradale was a great name because it was basically making the case that it was a road-legal version of the Challenge series race car, analogous to "GTO" but actually more fitting. The Challenge series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Challenge still exists, and the race cars are still called "### Challenge" therefore the naming convention would still make sense.

430CS
458CS
488CS

Whatever, Ferrari.

If I was put in charge of Ferrari, I would vacate the names Enzo & LaFerrari and substitute F60 & F70. No more ******** Ferrari!

Last edited:
Well, I guess Ferrari ha to name it something. If all Ferraris use a Formula One transmission, it'd make sense to have 'F1' at the end of each model number. Do we new to know all Ferraris have the special F1 transmission? I guess it's like what Syndrome said, "...When everyone is 'super', noone is.".

Naming it, using an Italian word is fine. I definitely don't have an issue with it. There's obvious meaning(to Ferrari) behind the naming.

I don't hate the name, but as with the 430 Scuderia & 458 Speciale I keep wondering why each special edition needs it's own name.

360 Challenge Stradale was a great name because it was basically making the case that it was a road-legal version of the Challenge series race car, analogous to "GTO" but actually more fitting. The Challenge series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Challenge still exists, and the race cars are still called "### Challenge" therefore the naming convention would still make sense.

430CS
458CS
488CS

Whatever, Ferrari.

If I was put in charge of Ferrari, I would vacate the names Enzo & LaFerrari and substitute F60 & F70. No more ******** Ferrari!
People already do that with the F60 even though those names are reserved for Anniversary models.

They could possibly get away with the LaFerrari as the F70, since the Apertas carry the Anniversary badge. But seeing as the coupe was already given its silly name a few years prior, it wouldn’t make much sense at that point.

I love the looks of the 488 Pista. Gorgeous. Might be for me now the new #1. Until now it was the Speciale.
Dream garage: 812 Superfast for long tours. Speciale/Pista for fun.

It absolutely doesn't to Russian ears though (see my facebook post on a previous page).

Ferrari sells about 30 cars a year in Russia, I'm sure they don't really care if one of their cars has a funny name in Russian.

Ferrari sells about 30 cars a year in Russia, I'm sure they don't really care if one of their cars has a funny name in Russian.
Meanwhile, Aston Martin, when naming their AM-RB 001 prototype (now Valkyrie), went through every language it could to assure it's name won't sound ridiculous. And AM Valkyrie is even less likely to get into Putinland (in fact, I don't think it's street legal here). Shows the difference in how much these companies care about perception of their cars.

Not to mention that "Pista" name has the potential of being funny even in Italian (cue another "488 Pasta/Pizza" joke).

Latest Posts

Back