Ferrari 812 Superfast

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 117 comments
What's worse, the terrible styling of modern Ferraris or the names they chose to give the cars?

The name of the cars sounds like what a 10 year old would call it.

Superfast?

What happened with names like Testarossa, Maranello, Scuderia etc.

You mean names that in their native tongue would be the equivalent of Ferrari Red Head. Ferrari Dearborn and Ferrari Team.?

'Superfast' was coined for the car as it was targeted towards the US market so was given an English name.
When you put it that way, maybe Ferrari has always just been bad at naming cars. :lol:

Perhaps they didn't want to name the car "Superveloce", which is Superfast in Italian, since a certain competitor already uses that name. Hmmm

You mean names that in their native tongue would be the equivalent of Ferrari Red Head. Ferrari Dearborn and Ferrari Team.?

'Superfast' was coined for the car as it was targeted towards the US market so was given an English name.

At least thoes names sound cool to other languages.

I'm concerned as the code name was F12M as a updated version rather they skip to 812 Superfast. Referring to the Testarossa you had the 512TR and then the 512M. Personally would've been great having a names like the old series as well as the design of the car using duo tail lights reminiscent to the 90's Ferrari's. Makes sense where all thoes names came from, Superamerica, california etc.

Last edited:
At least thoes names sound cool to other languages.

I'm concerned as the code name was F12M as a updated version rather they skip to 812 Superfast. Referring to the Testarossa you had the 512TR and then the 512M. Personally would've been great having a names like the old series as well as the design of the car using duo tail lights reminiscent to the 90's Ferrari's. Makes sense where all thoes names came from, Superamerica, california etc.

The code name for the 488 GTB was 458 M so it's not uncommon to use. The California T used the code name F149 M too.

Superfast is also one of the older Ferrari names, significantly older than Maranello and Scuderia on a road car.

Enough of discussing the name of the car, here's some facts.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

This, ladies and gents, is the Ferrari 812 Superfast. It is the latest V12 Ferrari supercar and the replacement for the F12 Berlinetta.

Yes, it’s really called Superfast. Ferrari’s wildly inconsistent naming structure is now, perhaps, calling on the suggestions of nine year olds. But mock as much as you like: the name ought to be thoroughly justified.

That’s because beneath the 812’s bonnet, powering the rear wheels and no doubt making a jolly mess of Alpine hairpins, is a 6.5-litre V12 with 789bhp. Yikes. That makes it nearly 60bhp healthier than the old F12’s 6.3-litre V12. This 6.5 is Ferrari’s most powerful naturally aspirated engine yet. Quite fitting, giving it may just be its last.

That peak power is delivered at 8,500rpm, by which point the noise is doubtless spectacular. Peak torque – 530lb ft, since you ask – arrives little earlier, at a still dizzying 7,000rpm. God, we’ll miss turbo-free engines.

There are plenty of acronyms to help ensure the power isn’t wastefully spun away. EPS is Ferrari’s first electric power steering system, there’s a fifth-generation version of SSC (Side Slip Control, Ferrari’s drift god mode), and a second-generation application of Virtual Short Wheelbase, Ferrari’s four-wheel-steering system. Despite the extra tech, its 1,525kg dry weight is unchanged from the F12’s. Those kilos are reasonably well distributed, too, split 47/53 front/rear.

Last edited:
Hey, lets not talk anymore about the name.

First line of my article quote: yes, this is it's name. ok lol

But for real. I think it looks absolutely stunning

Lamborghini has the Superveloce and veloce means fast in Italian, thus Superfast.
I find it odd that when its a language someone doesn't know it sounds cool but when they understand the language it sounds stupid.
idk, it just sounds cheesy to me.

the car looks great, i just don't like the name. That's all.

The Ferrari F12 Berlinetta wasn't beautiful to me, but I really liked it. Surely like it more than I do LaFerrari. This does look like a very nice car. I'm intrigued for sure on this one.

It's clear this designs built for the future, much alike the Laferrari was as it looked strange when it was first shown. Now fits in perfectly in today's era.

And I now shed a tear as I notice that the clean, flowing and swooping lines of the 458 era will be replaced with this sharp, agressive, black accented, dual taillight era.

It's clear this designs built for the future, much alike the Laferrari was as it looked strange when it was first shown. Now fits in perfectly in today's era.

I tend to agree. In fact every Ferrari I've seen for the first time since, and including, the 458 has struck me right away as being rather unpleasant to the eye. But the more I look at them, the more I like them, so of course at this point I think the 458 looks fantastic. I'll leave the styling to Ferrari and the drop-jawed staring to me =)

Looks great imo. Need to see real life pictures and not a computer image. Ferrari lately looks better in the flesh. The past they looked good in pictures too, but now it just doesn't seem to give it that wow factor.

16583339_1244048462347782_8459679680000163840_n.jpg

First time I saw it I didn't like it, but it has grown on me extremely quickly, which doesn't usually happen. 👍

This range is starting to go downhill after the beautiful 599. I think the front looks decent on the 812, but I'm not sold on the abrupt rear, which the GTC4Lusso also suffers. It sometimes works, Alfa Romeo 8C for example, but not here. The lines along the side and the rather exaggerated details here and there confuse the overall look for me. The F12 never really won me over, so I doubt the 812 will.

I really like the design on the rear end and I think the front end is okay. The front as a matter of fact looks like the F12 TDF.

Yellow (Giallo) certainly isn't it's colour :yuck:

I'm glad the car in the official photos, and the grey one above, have moved away from the black wheel fad. 👍

Back