FFB 1.12 Update

• Thread starter DRambo
  • 758 comments
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
DRambo
I use a G25 and even when adjusting ffb setting 10 and 10, the feel is very weak.

I have tried different classes of cars and it is clear that PD have tried to make the ffb differentiate between type of car/tyres.

Even at 10, in road cars, the ffb feels too weak.

In low downforce racing cars there is more feel.

In the Sena Lotus, it is about the same as a road car. Is this correct? I would have guessed that the steering in a F1 car from that era would be heavy.

I tried the Sauber C9 and the ffb is very strong. Perhaps the same with all prototypes?

On final point; if you change the power steering setting on or off, it does not seem to make any difference.

My conclusions: More variance between different classes of cars, but with some, it's too light.

UPADTE:

The more I use different cars, the more it makes sense.

Just ran McLaren F1 on CS. Weighty feel. ffb5 ffbs 7. Steering very precise and deadzone less noticable.

Celica SS-11 '97 cs tyres. feels a little light but not too much. i used to drive one and the steering was light.

All I can say to those who are concerned, don't make a judgement based on your first impressions. I suspect that those with the latest Thrustmaster wheels and others more sophisticated than my old G25 might find it rather good.

UPDATE 2:

Renault Clio RS '11 (cs). It feels as thought there has been more development that just changes in ffb weight. In a low to mid-speed corner in the Clio, if you push the throttle too hard, as the car understeers, you feel a distinct lightening of the wheel and the slip of the tyres. This was certainly not there before, and was a constant criticism of mine in relation to understeer. Before, the wheel kept its weight and did not give the feel of front wheel drive understeer.

Ferrari Enzo. Much more neutral now. More front end grip. More likely to oversteer out of a corner than understeer. Finding mr cars much more stable under braking and easier to control oversteer during braking.

BRAKING

Off topic a bit, but braking feels more intuitive. I use ABS set at 0. There seems to be more feel and you can adjust braking more through the braking phase. Maybe I'm feeling things that aren't there?????

Last edited:
Yeh I agree, it's way too light. When I first jumped on I thought it was terrible, but after 20 mins of driving Sierra I noticed that there is a huge improvement in the feel and feedback from the road, but it's just too light. DFGT user here

I will not be able to test that until tonight but for me there was a real "problem" with the force feedback before (at least with my T500). And the ffb seemed often too strong, specially on modern road car when you counter-steer...

Each time I switched to another car I needed to go in option and change the feedback and power steering options. For majority of road cars I used power steering on and ffb @2 but for the race car I uses power steering off and ffb @5 etc...

I think it's a really good idea to let us modify ffb parameters just before the race.
Can't wait for tonight ! I just hope that this "too light" feeling is not too light :nervous:

I had a quick go this morning and I definitely feel they are heading in the right direction. On the first sierra time rally event it felt really light and then on the Toyota VGT seasonal it was much heavier, so seems the FFB is more specific to each car, also I thought the feel in general was much better than before, easier to control oversteer and more responsive.

I had a quick go this morning and I definitely feel they are heading in the right direction. On the first sierra time rally event it felt really light and then on the Toyota VGT seasonal it was much heavier, so seems the FFB is more specific to each car, also I thought the feel in general was much better than before, easier to control oversteer and more responsive.

I agree. They seem to have made it more car specific as you say. Just seems too light on road cars. I drive a Pug 206 (don't tell anyone) and its much lighter that a real car. Maybe I should put some air in my fronts?

Some insights from a T500RS user:

- Force Feedback Sensitivity is the setting that determines how strongly the wheel tries to center itself. This centering functionality was introduced to the T500RS in update 1.09, and generally disliked.

- When I started the game today the Sensitivity defaulted to a setting of 8 out 10, which is considerably stronger than it was before the update. Even with the max torque set to 1, the centering torque was VERY strong.

- Putting the Sensitivity at 1 *almost* entirely eliminates the centering torque. With this lowest setting, suddenly the feedback from the wheel felt MUCH better - decent feeling from rumble strips and edge of grip, which was simply not there before the update OR with high sensitivity setting. The only downside from a minimal Sensitivity is that the wheel feels very light directly around the center, but this is a small price to pay.

Basically, with Sensitivity set to 1 the T500RS now has much improved FFB, that allows me to push the edges of grip much better than before this update.

the force feedback strength was different for different cars before. racecars always were much more heavy than roadcars. now the force feedback seems just about right for racecars and is actually much improved for those with the sensivity setting since that helps against the terrible wobble that was present on bumpy tracks at high speed.
however, the force feedback strength is unbelievably low for roadcars now with a 900° G25, even at setting 10.
i absolutely can't drive a roadcar anymore, it feels as if i'm steering a pudding. i could just as well switch FF off, it wouldn't make much of a difference. i hope there is a ninja fix on its way for this or otherwise GT6 is dead for me.

you would expect PD had a selection of wheels available and yould try things out themselves before they release something. i was so looking forward to driving on sierra, but this update completely broke my game.

So it sounds like the G2x support now has elements of the kind of behaviour that we saw on the T500RS prior to v1.09 patch, where you would need to change FFB strength depending on which car you were driving. Still, the fact that you can do this after loading a track is a big bonus :)

however, the force feedback strength is unbelievably low for roadcars now with a 900° G25, even at setting 10..
Have you tried the tip from an earlier post: "Controller Steering Sensitivity down to -2 to replicate a heavier feel"?

In general it sounds like PD finally implemented FFB aimed at higher dynamic range steering wheels than the DFGT or G25. So us T500/T300/CSW owners should enjoy it, and the G25 users will need to reduce the dynamic range, which probably is what the sensitivity setting is doing (if it works)

I can't wait to try my T500RS!

Does the regular options for the ffb still exist (start->options->steering wheel : force feedback level and power steering) ? If yes how does it work with the new options ?

@Morphisor : What is your max torque setting with your sensitivity @1 ?

As a DFGT user, I miss the old model too. But I noticed that with FF cars the loss of grip can be felt way better than with the old version; try pushing a FF car into a corner too hard, the tendency of understeering and turning too much will soften the feedback as the tires lose grip, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Does the regular options for the ffb still exist (start->options->steering wheel : force feedback level and power steering) ? If yes how does it work with the new options ?

@Morphisor : What is your max torque setting with your sensitivity @1 ?

The previous options are still there. FFB level has simply been split up in centering torque and max torque.

I tried a few settings, currently using max torque 5, whereas I was using 1 before the update, just to get rid of the centering effect as much as possible. Can really enjoy FFB again now :)

Logitech G25 user here. I'm having the same problem as well. Turned both settings to 10 (I was using strength 6 pre-update) and still feels like strength 0 pre-update. Race cars with downforce feels better, but the Senna Lotus is waaaaaay too light (I drive this car everyday so I'm familiar with how it handles). Pretty much ruined the game for me. GT6 goes from having the best FFB on console to worse than Grid 2 :banghead:

If this is part of their trick to get more people to buy Thrustmaster wheels (since the PS4 has an exclusive deal with TM), then count me out :yuck: I really hope PD fixes this with a hotfix. At least have different FFB profiles for each wheel so Thrustmaster users can enjoy the higher fidelity, but Logitech users are not left trying to steer with pudding jelly.

Last edited:
A little birdy told me that you can turn the Controller Steering Sensitivity down to -2 to replicate a heavier feel. Works for me 👍
Hello little birdy here no the -2 setting effects the wheel too. Well at least it does with the DFGT. A setting of 9/9 and -2 sensitivity feels as near to the old style as were going to get personally.

Hang in there Logitech G2x users, PD will fix it after all this 'feedback' from 1.12 players. Don't forget to blast away in the Logitech forums (customer support) and make this process go faster.

Just been doing the Sierra Time Rally 3 in the Ferrari GTO. Set at ffb 5 sens 7 with sm tyres. It's quite weighty.

Maybe lots of variation between cars?

own a G25 and I honestly thought that the wheel had died after the 1.12 update. The force feedback is almost non existent with settings on maximum. I speak for myself when I say I cannot play like this, I have no feel for the drive at all. I have been moderately quiet with my gripes of the game but this is by far the worst to date. Not happy.

Loving it on DFGT. The wheel is a lot lighter around the centre but weights up really nicely as you increase the steering lock. In road cars and other race cars like the MKIV it's lighter than full on race cars like the Toyota 7 (which now requires quite a physical effort to pilot around for more than 10/15 minutes).

Overall it's a much more progressive feel, far more realistic to me (and much more PC sim like). It's also meant that my wheel went for 2 hours this morning and barely got warm.

So is this FFB issue affecting to Logitech wheels or across the board including T500/T300? Seriously I couldn't even test it because while updating 1.12 system froze. Restarted now it's downloading 11 previous updates.

Loving it on DFGT. The wheel is a lot lighter around the centre but weights up really nicely as you increase the steering lock. In road cars and other race cars like the MKIV it's lighter than full on race cars like the Toyota 7 (which now requires quite a physical effort to pilot around for more than 10/15 minutes).

Overall it's a much more progressive feel, far more realistic to me (and much more PC sim like). It's also meant that my wheel went for 2 hours this morning and barely got warm.
Same here.

Before the DFGT felt like turning a brick around the centre but now it's light and more enjoyable for me.
Gives me a G27 like experience in smoothness

Back