FGT makes me sick...

  • Thread starter Thread starter wutangben
  • 44 comments
  • 4,235 views
Had a bad headache the 1st time I played gt5 but thats the only time.
 
i guess it most likely has to do with the length of the g27's cables forcing me to play 5ft from my 61" tv. i still find it weird though, considering i have no problem driving slightly slower cars for hours on end..
 
Only game that did this to me was Quake 3 because of the frantic action. Happened after about 30 minutes. Nothing with driving games.

That game was great. I ran 3 or 4 excessive servers outta a couple 'nix boxes in my basement and would play it nonstop. I miss that style of game, CoD is fast, but not Q3 fast, so I end up playing battlefield more often than not because its just better...(flame on)
 
I get really bad motion sickness if someone else is playing and I'm watching, but have no problems when I'm playing!
 
While playing the FGT Championship series I did start to have a slight headache and my stomach felt sour. I was rather bored of playing through it and my concentration was diminishing after an hour or so which led to some twitchy correcting of bad driving. That could have added to it.

Never had any problems with motion sickness while driving or on roller coasters but if I am on a boat offshore in big waves I will blow chunks quite regularly.
 
Watching other people play any first person games makes me feel the same way.

Whats happening is your eyes are giving your brain conflicting information when comparing what you see to what your vestibular system is telling your brain.

Read up on the vestibular system, it's actually very interesting.

Try Ginger, it helps with nausea.

Certain illegal drugs that shouldn't be illegal help with it. (Green stuff)

Also having a full stomach will help.

My mom can't actually play ANY video game, it makes her very nauseous.

The first few days I played COD I got super dizzy, but I got used to it and now I never stop. Muwahhaha.

So does diphenhydramine. Look it up.
 
I don't get really sick, but I noticed that after a particularly intense race or a driving with a fast car, I have some troubles to fall asleep (if I was racing before the sleep...). It is weird

I get this if I play long stretches of video games right before going to bed, especially with COD: MW2 and GT5. It's almost like I have images seared into my brain. I'd see gun fire in an almost strobe light like effect. The first time I told that to my wife it freaked her out a little, lol. The X1 has also given me headaches on the few times I attempted the Vettel Challenge.
 
Last edited:
You need some sleep my friend, maybe your lack of sleep can cause tiredness to you psychologically, so i suggest take a short-nap. Doctor's says it better to take a short nap than fighting for your stress itself.
 
Watching other people play any first person games makes me feel the same way.

Whats happening is your eyes are giving your brain conflicting information when comparing what you see to what your vestibular system is telling your brain.

Read up on the vestibular system, it's actually very interesting.

Try Ginger, it helps with nausea.

Certain illegal drugs that shouldn't be illegal help with it. (Green stuff)

Also having a full stomach will help.

My mom can't actually play ANY video game, it makes her very nauseous.

The first few days I played COD I got super dizzy, but I got used to it and now I never stop. Muwahhaha.

Illegal? Not where I'm from, MOEHAHAHAHAHA

Btw, you can test your sickness to the extreme...

Take a kart, get it on the grass, full throttle and full lock steering, you'll start spinning like a idiot, and watch if you get sick!
 
I've suffered from this although not from playing GT5. I remember a race on TDU which caused me huge problems and because this affected others it was nicknamed the "vomit run". After just 20mins of racing on this event I was sick several times and couldn't finish it.

My tips would be to make sure you don't play if your tired, don't sit too close to your TV, don't play in the dark, open your windows for fresh air.
 
Yeah me to, playing intense gives me problems aswell.
 
Watching other people play any first person games makes me feel the same way.

Whats happening is your eyes are giving your brain conflicting information when comparing what you see to what your vestibular system is telling your brain.

Read up on the vestibular system, it's actually very interesting.

Try Ginger, it helps with nausea.

Certain illegal drugs that shouldn't be illegal help with it. (Green stuff)

Also having a full stomach will help.

My mom can't actually play ANY video game, it makes her very nauseous.

The first few days I played COD I got super dizzy, but I got used to it and now I never stop. Muwahhaha.

Interesting you say that because the "illegal" stuff you speak of makes me forget to blink while driving/gaming so after a long race and i finally decide to blink then my eyes are sore and they get tears...

Oh yeah, don't play in the dark, 3 ft away from a 46" LCD, without blinking. Do that for an hour and you will very quickly realise it's not such a good idea.....
 
I just hate the car. But doesn't get me sick, only figuratively.
 
:sick:

Anyone else have this problem? After about 15-20 minutes of driving the Formula GT, I got nauseous, a bad headache, and feel like crap for the rest of the night... Thought it was just a coincidence until the second time it happened. Won't be driving that one again.

ugh..

Weird... Three pages of posts, and nobody brings up what you imply; This doesn't happen to you with other cars in the game.

Correct?

A couple of things come to mind. First, of course, it's FAST! But have you driven any other really fast cars? The Minolta, any of the top Like the Wind cars, that sort of thing? They don't give you problems? Might not be that, then.

Have you driven any other open wheel car (the F! cars)? Do they make you sick too? How about gokarts? OK with them?

There might be a couple of things going on. First might be the bouncing at that speed. Are you mostly keeping it on the track, or are you getting off much? Hit a lot of rumble strips? Is it worse on rough tracks, or does it even happen at Indy or Daytona?

Secondly, do you play with a wheel? That smaller turning radius and amped up FFB puts a lot more strain on you. You might be having a 'disconnect' between the motion and your body and your eyes.

Maybe a bit more info, and we can track it down. How close do you sit to the TV. How big is the TV? What view do you use? And, mostly, has no other car ever done this, and is the FGT the fastest car you have driven so far?

Oh, and, what track were you driving when you got sick? Some of them, you drive really fast, you can get a sort of strobing from the track that is pretty weird, and at those FGT speeds, just like in real life, the flickering of the sun and shadows on bright days as you go through shadows can make you feel weird. Used to happen to me on fast bikes going under trees and hedgerows at the end of the day as the sun gets lower.
 
Back