Field of View (FOV aka why does that track look so wide?)

Discussion in 'Project CARS 1' started by Johnnypenso, Jan 30, 2015.

1. FinnZevo

FinnZevo

I was at 75 .I like it a lot but I used the project cars calcalator and it says my correct fov is 49.. Thats way to close so im using 68 now...here's a video.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. Speedster911

Speedster911

Anything below 85 makes things appear too slow.

3. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

For you maybe. I'm at 60 in PCars and on a 60" screen so I have lots of peripheral and a good sense of speed.

Speedster911 likes this.
  4. UkHardcore23

UkHardcore23

PCars does seem much slower than other racers. My correct FOV is 48 but it's far to close but using anytinh between 50-60 and it makes 100mph feel like 10mph.

Im on a 51" screen and having to use 75 to feel any sense of speed.

5. Bethany Dawn

Bethany Dawn

When you are driving down the highway looking straight ahead, don't oncoming objects appear to move slowly? It's when you look to the sides that you get the sense of speed.

6. Speedster911

Speedster911

Right; F5 and 6 has the correct FOV when you keep motion effects on, and it relays a good sense of speed.

Right, but I want to be looking straight ahead most of the time in a game, and I understand things may appear slow since we don't have the same 180 deg peripheral vision that gives a good sense of speed when driving a car fast IRL. Well, anyway.. for a game, PCARS looks slow. They should have explanations or at least 2-3 sets of default settings that let players choose what FOV/sense of speed trade-off they're willing to settle for.

7. Fanapryde

Fanapryde

My eyes 87 cm away from the 32" TV (can't bring it any closer for the moment, without changing my rig).
    FOV (according to the calculator) should be set at 45.

Did some extensive testing and my best is 60 for the moment.
    The suggested 45 seems to be way off...

If I compare FOV 60 to driving a car on a race track, sense of speed looks pretty much allright to me.
    I will have to tinker with it as soon as my triple stand arrives, because triple 27" will make a huge difference...
    There is something with chicanes though. The ones at Spa and Zolder (being the only ones I can compare) are easier IRL than in the game. Maybe triples will solve that too ?

8. EmArA

EmArA

Interesting to find out that the FOV is the default one in RaceRoom and that he only moved the position in cockpit forward and that the TV (which is 40") has a 1080P.

Wish it was that easy to find the proper FOV in AC...

9. BrandonW77

BrandonW77

Yeah, I was totally shocked to see how simple his setup was after seeing his incredible videos.

10. Speedster911

Speedster911

That looks just about right but in a game like PCARS, you lose any believable sense of speed if you set the cockpit FOV anything below 80.