First bike!

You're crazy if you think
I can afford either of these.
If all goes well, I'll be making my down payment and bringing this bad boy home on Thursday! I'll still need the MSF course for the license and a jacket, but I'll have the hard part.

The bike is a 1998 Honda Rebel 250 bobber. Jet kit in the carb, professionally painted black wheels, and a brand new top end. 7,000 miles. It was buddy's starter bike and he's recently stepped up to a custom Honda Hawk 650 "Frankenbike."

295199_2925274647298_1123845434_32196222_702621355_n.jpg

I'm stupid excited to get this thing in my hands. It's the bike I learned to ride on, and the price ain't bad either :sly:

1800. But it doesn't matter anymore, it just sold :lol:

I'm dissapointed as all hell, but it wasn't meant to be clearly. My buddy needed the money and the guy who bought it paid the $2500 he wanted... Friend discount only goes so far :(

But anyways, that puts me back to my old plan, save up my next 200 dollars, and go looking around with 1,000 cash in hand and see what I can scoop up. I wanted a 250 or 500 sport bike to start with, but I've got a major soft spot for that particular bike. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

I'll edit this thread again when I actually have the bike at my house. Should have known as soon as I post, it'd be gone haha. That's how it worked for finding a car too

That Rebel was a sexy looking little piece. To bad you couldn't get it. You can find Ninja 250s all day long for the price you were going to get the Rebel. Good luck on the search and happy bike hunting.

I'm looking almost exclusively for Ninja 250/500 and suzuki 500 sport bikes. I didn't really want a cruiser, but how could I say no to that thing??

Ninja 250/500 are pretty decent bikes. Anything under 600 though is a little to small/lightweight for highway riding.

A 500 twin isin't that too bad for the highway, a 250 yeah, but a 500 should be fine.
A 600 seems like it would be a bit buzzy when compared to the twin.

Ah, I thought that you were talking about a 600R compared to a 500 twin for the highway.
And a 650 does sound just about perfect.

I wouldn't recommend a 600R for someones first bike. They're more expensive and generally not that great at anything other than going really really fast.

We never got 400 sportbikes here so far as I know. Not anything new enough worth getting anyway. First bikes should be common enough for parts availability and ease of service.

Time_Attack
We never got 400 sportbikes here so far as I know. Not anything new enough worth getting anyway. First bikes should be common enough for parts availability and ease of service.[/QUOTE

Backing the early 90' Yamaha offered the fzr 400. Great little bike. Sorta hard to come by now. But well maintained bikes can still be found. Suzuki also offered one but it never made it to the US.

Hard to come by generally means stay away from unless you are really dedicated and even then it would only ever be your second or third bike. Not really something you would ride every day.

Not that I recall. Started riding bikes back in the early 80's owned suzies, kawais and Yamaha's never a Honda.

Rode bulltacos, huskys, Yamaha, and Suzuki dirt bikes. Owned a mean 01 banshee with toomey pipes. Ported and polished. A blaster of same yr with same mods.

Almost forgot. Two tz 250's. Early 90 models. And 4 Yamaha ysr 's. 2 straight 50's. A punched out 50 to 60. And a shoe horned water cooled 80 that could run with the old ninja 250's around the track.

Time_Attack
Hard to come by generally means stay away from unless you are really dedicated and even then it would only ever be your second or third bike. Not really something you would ride every day.

Actually means most were converted for track use. Knew of a few folks that would shoe horn fzr600 engines in um. Suzies in the early 90's were ideal for this as most engine swaps were almost direct swaps. 600 with 750, 750 with 1100.

VFR400 was a japan market bike.

I don't know much about older bikes to be honest. I assume most of them have been totaled by now so finding one and keeping it on the road would be a challenge.

Believe it or not parts aren't to difficult to find. EBay. Craig's list. As with anything some one has a following for it. The net 's the place. Back in the early 90's it was way harder to find stuff. Do a search you'd be surprised.

Aprillia also offered a US street legal 250 two smokers back in the late 90's early 2000's. Max biaggi edition. With kit parts available for order.

Kinda. But it all depends on your passion for riding and mechanical skills. As the bikes in the 80-90's were easy to maintain. The newer stuff is so shoe horned in doing maintenance means a weekend down in the garage with your tools, cold beers and a box of bandaids.

Welcome to GTPlanet!
You can edit your posts if you want to add more stuff, the mods won't like double and triple posting. :)

Alright I can make my real First Bike post now! Wednesday afternoon I drove 40 miles north to go check out a '92 Suzuki GS500. She needs the rear brakes bled, oil change, and registration/license for me. I've been getting a little time on this thing just around my neighborhood, and she feels good. Starts right up, runs really well, and for $740 I got a great deal!

b9bp5c.jpg

:lol: yeah... but the tank has a dent on the other side and some surface rust, so what I'm going to do is paint the tank and fairing by the seat in black, leave the wheels yellow, and the frame purple, because it is nice paint :)

Bled the rear brake on it today, it's now functional again! Oil change is the next order of business.

Back