First Impressions...

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 36 comments

Sureboss

Tanned and Lipstick'd
Premium
United Kingdom
UK
Well, FC arrived this morning, and have had about 3 tutorial sessions at Fiorana and a quick race at Mugello.

Wow, a good game, not very pick up and play, is it? Could take me a while to get used to this.

My very first thought in the tutorial was, "Tiff Needell, this is like TOCA 2!!!!". Then after my come down, I realised this is a very good game. I reckon this may well be on my PS3 a bit.

Question:

I'm the DFGT, what's the best set-up for this wheel on this game?

Welcome to FC-playing Sureboss :)

The FFB is very good in transmitting you the feel of grip in the front tyres and also the feel of wheight transfer. However, there's an annoying deadzone to deal with. Only way to reduce it to a minimum is to set the Force Feedback to "Strong". It will be heavy on your arms, but you won't find it unrealistic, considering you're driving a 1000 kg car with large slicks ;)

I also use "Strong" wheel sensitivity in this game, but that is because of personal preference.

One of the many things you'll notice to be "different" from GT5P is that sometimes you'll think that downshifts don't work. The fact is, FC doesn't allow downshifts that would make the engine overrev and explode (in GT5P you can engage any gear at any speed), so even if you press many times the downshift paddle, the car will only engage the lowest possible gear considering your speed at that moment.

Oh, and if you keep downshifting until you are almost stopped (because you want first gear), beware, because you'll engage ... reverse gear :lol: (again, unlike GT5P, where to engage reverse you must hit the trangle button)

Litle things, I know, but sometimes it's hard to get used to them. :)

Wow, a good game, not very pick up and play, is it? Could take me a while to get used to this.

It's funny you should say that. I really don't think it's any more difficult than GT5P, but I do think it takes some adjusting to if you're used to GT5P. I find it takes me a while to adjust to GT5P when I switch back.

I think you will find that some of the cars are both more difficult & more interesting to drive than the F430.

I think it's got more than just new tracks.

You are right probably, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to get deeper in any other driving game than GT5P. The track list of FC was closely in my mind already at the launch of the game.
Cheers,
-fbk-

It's funny you should say that. I really don't think it's any more difficult than GT5P, but I do think it takes some adjusting to if you're used to GT5P. I find it takes me a while to adjust to GT5P when I switch back.

I think you will find that some of the cars are both more difficult & more interesting to drive than the F430.

Amen to that. The older cars are a riot to barrel around in, like the Daytona and the 250 for example. My overall favourite would still be the 355 Challenge though - that noise... :bowdown:

Amen to that. The older cars are a riot to barrel around in, like the Daytona and the 250 for example. My overall favourite would still be the 355 Challenge though - that noise... :bowdown:

A man after my own heart. But ahh, ahem, the 355 Challenge makes, "music", not noise. ;)

I too find that setting the FF to high with the DFGT will give a very satisfing drive. It dos keep you honest on downshifts,like in RL I find that braking earlier for turns is really the way to go here. They got a whole lot right with the physics, I envy you getting to enjoy unlocking all the cars and finding how different they can be. The old classics are a real joy.

Great! 👍

(only now, GordonS, I noticed you are GTP_finbaek :dopey: hope to race you soon, been a long time since we last met racing :) )

Great! 👍

(only now, GordonS, I noticed you are GTP_finbaek :dopey: hope to race you soon, been a long time since we last met racing :) )

Jep! We'll see on track and perhaps it's raining then!!!

OK! And here comes my impression(s):
Tiff really is a man of Advices, isn't he? :embarrassed: Ofcourse, it takes some time to get used to the new physics after GT5P. There is many positive aspects in FC that I too was able to find in a short period of time:
Under heavy braking the car's front is quite lively. It seems that less steering is required in thight corners compared to GT5P. And in high speed cornering I found some really believeable car behaviour, although I could be the least person to talk about real life high speed corner balances.
The tracks (those three or something that I was able to try out :grumpy: ) for example, are really "organic". Very BIG aspect! And this brings me to the complains: all those padlocks! I have to open them? With what time? Well, it seems I have to find the shortest way to open them...

Last edited:
i've stopped playing this game the first time i realized the "dead zone", and found my relieve when switch back to GT5P.

but....

after i read about the FFB setting, now i can enjoy it again.
The AI is good, i.e. they took defensive line when i'm on their tail:tup:
but currently i'm more interested in me vs. the track itself :sly:

To add...

Spent a couple of races tonight, it is very enjoyable. So rewarding, just finished 2nd at Infineon, I like the layout, even if it took me 4 laps to find a braking point for that chicane!

Very much liking this game atm.

Just like to point out to FC newcomers: opening the tracks in Arcade mode is definitely NOT the fastest way to proceed.

What's up with the gear changing in the F348 TB. :crazy: Is this a glitch or something?

And why does just about every car in this game sound like it has a fully sequential dog box a bone stock 360 Modena shouldn't whine.

I've only played this game for about a month now and I'm getting kinda bored. There's three things that bother me the most #1 All the engines almost sound the same including the transmission #2 The Graphics aren't great at all like 5 outta 10. #3 I don't know about you guys but the flames coming out the exhaust is hella annoying, I mean I'm in a bone stock F360 and it's popping and flaming like it's trying to have a barbecue. ::ouch:

Other than those annoying tid bits the game is pretty decent. I do enjoy the AI in battles sometimes and I kinda like the feel of the drive very fun, oh and the tracks are fun love Silverstone my favorite.👍

Last edited:
Not really I've been doing the challenges and stuff, I race online sometimes and it was ok good mature racing, but those three things I mentioned just gets to me while I'm playing I don't think I can take much more of it. The only cars I love to drive are the FXX, 360 Mod, and F348 Challenge.

Just like to point out to FC newcomers: opening the tracks in Arcade mode is definitely NOT the fastest way to proceed.

As it has been stated before,the quickest way to unlock all the tracks and cars is to do the three challenges. Italian, European,North American. If you complete all these and finish at least 3rd in all races youwill unlock cars and tracks much faster.

Questions:

Where can I find how many miles I've done? How many races I've won, etc?

Just done the tutorial trophy. I did some in time trial, damn these are tough. 1'51.000 at Monza, seriously? In the F430 Challenge? I can do a 1'54 and it'll feel a good lap.

Choose "Leaderboards", find an entry for yourself, click on your name. It will tell you hours played, races won, podiums, tutorial ranking etc.

Questions:

Where can I find how many miles I've done? How many races I've won, etc?

Just done the tutorial trophy. I did some in time trial, damn these are tough. 1'51.000 at Monza, seriously? In the F430 Challenge? I can do a 1'54 and it'll feel a good lap.

Choose a faster car for time trials, the F333SP is the best or the FXX.

I guess so. Starting the game you only have the F430 Challenge. To unlock other cars ( you must race and at least reach a podium finish in any of the game modes (challenge, trophy, arcade).

After you unlock them go to "Showroom" and "buy" them from there.

I went for the 550 Marinello GT. The time trial is either bugged to high hell, or has been atrociously designed. I was within the target time by about 8 seconds on a dodgy outlap. Terrible.

I went for the 550 Marinello GT. The time trial is either bugged to high hell, or has been atrociously designed. I was within the target time by about 8 seconds on a dodgy outlap. Terrible.

The target time stuff is irrelevant in my experience. Its usually way too slow.

Back