first impressions?

Discussion in 'Forza Horizon 2' started by 430_Riviera, Oct 24, 2012.

1. 430_Riviera

430_Riviera

So, we've had months of moaning, cautious optimism, people cancelling pre orders, people queuing up at midnight, weeks of reviews and people stuck in Europe without the game till Friday.

Seen a couple of people say it's fun, but not much else. So, what's the bag you lucky folks with the game? How are you finding it?

2. Steve Forrest

Steve Forrest

I think its great. The Forza physics (except for crashing and damage) seem completely intact, and the graphics are, for the most part, on par with Forza 4.

My only problems with it are the much smaller car selection (I'll miss all the very slow F class cars) and the cutscenes, which look good but really didn't need to be there.

Overall, I'm enjoying it so far. It truly has exceeded my (honestly pretty low) expectations.

3. Master Weasel

Master Weasel Premium

I personally like the cutscenes. They give me the sense that I'm not the only real character in the game and they're refreshing to see after racing a lot.

4. shawtyoner

shawtyoner

So far, so good! We can nitpick all day with certain things, but the driving experience is exactly what I thought it would be. The scenery and sounds are amazing, cruising at 80 through those country roads with some music in the BG just feels so good and is a pleasant change from the circuit based racing in FM4.

Racing in this is just as intense though, as there are so many more distractions to overcome. I got goosebumps when I had to race head to head vs Romona and her F-150 Raptor heading back to the festival. Lined up on a two lane twisty road, the light glow of dusk coming in as the night was creeping up, my adrenaline just started flowing. Plus nothing beats this game using a fanatec wheel!!

One thing I will say I don't miss is tuning. I know I will be burned at the stake for this, however as a non-tuning guy, I like knowing I can just install what I want and Mr. Dak over at the garage will set it up for me. Rivals is going to be so much fun in this being that a lot of it is now point-to-point. Also, who doesn't love that interior view after completing a rivals challenge? The way the sun reflects and blooms off of the dash and reflective surfaces is spectacular!

I just scratched the surface of this game last night, really looking forward to putting more hours in, discovering some sweet spots for photos, and just enjoying the feeling of freedom on the open roads!

5. CTstryk

CTstryk

I think it's cool, I needed a racing game that's (not so serious) fun... When it's time to take a break from Forza 4, Horizon brings a fresh feel... The only cons I have are weak crashes & boring replays other than that Horizon delivers. I honestly wish I had more time to play...

6. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Staff Emeritus

I binged yesterday: five barn finds, the third writstband, every road travelled, and 97 of the discount signs. So far, I'm really enjoying it; it's fun, it's less serious than FM4, but after years of only playing serious sim racers, it's a nice switch.

The story might be cliche and expected, but I too like the cut-scenes; it's a breather, and they do look pretty good. And I'll agree with Shawty - lack of tuning doesn't bug me one bit.

I managed a 13th spot on the speed trap over in the bottom left of the map, think it was down to 18th by the time I turned the system off. I can see this game providing literally hundreds of hours hunting down friends' accomplishments.

7. mikochu

mikochu

It's fun, but I don't think the paint codes Forza 4 work right. I tried Midnight Purple and it comes out pretty bright. :(

8. hennessey86

hennessey86

Just a little something I have picked upon. I reckon they have muffled the incarnation noises, they seem a bit more realistic sounding.

9. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

I rented and played Horizon for about 4 hours last night. Messed around with vinyls for about 2 hours. So far I am enjoying Horizon. I will post my open minded positive and negative feedback for the game like I do with all games.

First Impressions.

I have always been a huge fan of T10 since the first Forza. So I am always looking forward to their games. I went into this knowing its their first attempt at an open world racing game.

The physics are amazing and thats the main focus of Horizon is to intigrate great physics in an open world game. They nailed it for sure. The physics are not quite as sim as F4 but not as arcade as other open world games. Its a nice balanced combination of both worlds. While there are no tuning options, you can swap a wide variety of parts to improve the performance of your car.

The vinyl system is 100% there from Forza 4 just with a different user interface. The game even loads your vinyls from F4 directly from your hard drive. You cant load entire car paint jobs but you can load all your vinyl groups from F4.

The graphics are really good. Scenery graphics are hit and miss but the cars look great. Obviously toned down from the F4 graphics but still look really good. Day night cycle is really nice especially when you see your headlights and dash lights turning on. Also seeing the sunrise is a nice touch while cruising around. No weather effects at all.

The co-op can be fun but overall is a bit disappointing. While you are in the co-op mode you can not get money for drifting, oncoming traffic, near misses, damage or anything else. You can only get money by completing co-op objectives. I believe there are about 15 co-op objectives. Draft someone for a certain amount of time, trade paint, drive from point A to point B. But while you are doing that, you can not make money. Plus, you can not get barn finds together at the same time. You can be sitting right next to your friend while he gets a barn find, but you cant get it. I believe this it tied into your rank but I am not sure. Regardless, you cant go cruising to find them together at the same time. Then once you unlock it, you have to go back to the single player to pick the car. Then come back to the co-op to drive your new car.

For those that argued until they were blue in the face about the map not being 63 sq miles, they are incorrect. It is indeed only very close to 63 sq miles. To top that off, you can unlock EVERY road in the game within 2-3 hours. I had 2 friends in my party last night that were just cruising around and within 1 hour my friend had half the roads unlocked. Another hour later, 90%. Half an hour after that 99%. The map is very very tiny. About 1/3 the size of Burnout Paradise. Which is fine because I knew it would be small. But some people were in denial about how small the map is. I will post more about this in the map size thread.

Overall Horizon does seem to be focused on a more laid back generation of gamers in a good way. Its much much more forgiving in many ways and that takes the edge off at time and adds more of a fun factor to the game. If you are in the middle of a drift and spin out, you are not punished. You can even bump some walls or AI and stil maintain your combos. Very generous which will reduce frustration for many people new to the series. Those expecting a massive full free roaming TDU2 experience might be disappointed. But if you go into Horizon expecting a more laid back casual Forza experience in an open world environment, you will enjoy it. :tup:

10. cuco33

cuco33

I like it so far. More than what I thought I would. So far only played it with a controller as the lady was watching 'chick flicks' and that's where my CSR is. These games aren't my normal choice as I'm more into seriousness, sims, real world circuit racing but this game is FUN!

11. G219

G219

I'm loving this game. Played the demo with a controller then got my CSR yesterday. A joy with the wheel. Haven't had this much fun in a singleplayer mode in quite some time.

My only gripe is the lack of AI traffic online. IMO it would make multiplayer unbelievable. At the least there should be an option for it (as I know more than a few of you don't want it).

12. 430_Riviera

430_Riviera

Good to see some open opinions, and mostly positive ones. I may have shot my self in the foot with this thread, the wait isn't getting any better. :mad:

13. DRIFT GOD

DRIFT GOD

i thinks its a good game like tdu but smaller but with the benifits of forza features and excellent handeling... cant wait to play more !!!

14. dtn23

dtn23

I played for about 5 hours yesterday, didn't spend much time on progression but having a lot of fun so far. I'm like 1/2 way into the green band with 2 barn finds done. I'm up to like 172 popularity (mostly from drifting) and money comes in pretty easily. I used the expert and adjust trick to make sure any hidden STM wasn't there but the physics still feel worse than what most people are describing. I may need to look into how the dead zones work.

Overall the game is pretty great, and I think it will only get better once I get a little farther in do some more exploring. I'll let you guys know later, because I'm about to hop on now :)

15. Frizbe

Frizbe

My favorite part? Licensed AI traffic cars, makes it feel much more real. I just wish there where more of them, maybe pull some from the drivable car list, but not have them marked as racers.

16. imported_JJ72

imported_JJ72

very very very fun, literally lost in all the events, most of the races I am contend with finishing second and moving on!

I must rant a bit about the classic mini though: no rim options, no rally roof rack or rally lights, and there's a bug making the classic mini stripes impossible to do!

17. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

Pros
    Phenomenal physics, graphics, and sound, as expected. The car list is a bit diluted, but studded with a comprehensive variety of automotive icons. The roads are great and the map feels very open and natural, with generous room to rumble around offroad; I think PG did a good job of straddling the line between "fun" and "plausible public roadway project." Upgrades/customization and the other signature gameplay features carried over from FM4 all meet the Forza standard. I have not yet played on Xbox Live.

Cons
    The replays are junk. I don't like tuning but I would have appreciated the ability to adjust things on a basic level, like the final drive ratio. Lots of little details missed -- for example, we're on the street now but it's up to us to produce our own license plates as vinyls. It's hard to not notice the 30fps, and a lot of text is irritatingly HDTV-sized.​

It's not a flawless game, but it's everything they promised and everything I hoped it would be. :tup: I'm really enjoying the new cars I never bought as DLC for FM4, like the VW Beetle, Scion FR-S, and Ruf CTR. I've also enjoyed getting peppered with bags of money for exploring and driving around aimlessly.

It took a long time, but the open-world sim(like) racer has finally arrived. :cheers: :bowdown:

18. shawtyoner

shawtyoner

Yes, other noticeable street features that could have been great are horns, functional windows, high beams and hazards. Functional windows being the most important for me, the ability to roll down your window and hear the wind rushing in as you drive faster.

19. E28

E28 Premium

I'm in love with this game. And I'm only an hour in... :lol:

20. recar deeps

recar deeps

I really like it looks like there will plenty of things to keep me busy for awhile. My only real complaint is some of the car sounds(engine) are to low, Makes it hard to shift. I hope they patch it with a slider.

21. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

I noticed the same thing about the audio in Horizon. I have 6.1 surround sound and the engine audio is much much lower than Forza 4. Its hard to balance out the correct audio in this game for sure. I turned the music almost all the way off and still its a bit hard to hear some of the engine audio.

I know if you buy the lightweight conversion it helps. Along with Headers and a the largest cam. But sometimes I dont want to put all that onto my car just to hear the engine audio better.

22. recar deeps

recar deeps

I bought the 67 beetle last night could not hear it at all. I kinda wanted to drive it around in its stock form for awhile. I was going to try the exhaust uprade see if that helps.

23. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

Muffler upgrades have never helped the engine audio in Forza. Which has been mentioned for a long time. The only few options you have are usually headers, larger cam, full lightweight conversion. Those 3 help the most. Mufflers never do anything. Or get a convertible, those always sound the best. If we could roll the windows down that would help too like in other games.

24. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

I'm 99.9% sure that Horizon soft-mutes your engine's volume whenever a radio DJ makes an announcement, even if you actually have the radio muted and you're playing music off the dashboard. I'll get random periods of muted engine noise and then the volume comes back.

25. recar deeps

recar deeps

I think some cars are worse than others. I did'nt have as much of a problem hearing the 2012 Charger or the Cuda, The beetle was horrible. Some are complaining about a Mini race also I have'nt race it yet so I don't know. Thanks for the info guys.

26. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

Did anyone figure out how to take pics in co-op mode? I tried for 30 minutes and cant find any way to take pics with friends. :odd:

27. imported_vwpilot

imported_vwpilot

The replays are pretty much garbage. The camera angles suck and pretty much just follow the car which doesnt give a good view of the overall replay.

28. sailworksman

sailworksman

7/10 out of the gate. I did not expect the level of play to be up there with Forza and GT, but the fun factor is there for sure. The online gameplay is a bit arcade like for me. I am not one for driving off into the sunset off road, so its neither here or there. Cruising on all roads is fun. Speed cameras and zones are neat.

I noticed when the traffic is in front of you, all the detail on the car is there. Then when you pass traffic or they are rolling up behind you, the car is all blocky in the rear and side view mirrors.

Great graphics at night, nice car details too.

Wrecks can be cool, but the damage is a bit weak. Good level of vehicle handling. We all know what will corner on rails and slide out from underneath you.

I don't mind the lack of tuning. I enjoy the plug and play type vehicle interface. It's got staying power, but probably not as much as the most popular titles out there (FMS, GT, NFS, GRID, DIRT etc.), but I'm in for the haul.

My 2 Cents.

29. VXR

VXR

After being a little underwhelmed by the demo, until I discovered the hidden STM at least, last night was an absolute blast. Power-oversteering into and out of junctions is so much fun.

30. ChadSpeed

ChadSpeed

Its like the old Forza 1 and 2 replays where their benchmark. Really unforgivable, but also a small issue, still enjoy it.