FITT American Classics Shootout - Winners announced! Congrats NEWDRIVER2 and Motor City Hami!

jtqmopar
Plymouth AAR Cuda 340 Six Barrel '70
All specs equal to posted tune, no problems recreating the tune.

Best Lap Time: 1:38.819
Driver Score: 4
Notes:
Ok accuracy and response on turn in, as long as I don't enter too fast, which unfortunately is very easy to do. Very sloppy feel from the wheel after the first movement, the front felt like it floated.
It's easy to over throttle on exit.
Braking distance is OK.
Because of the corner-straight-corner nature of the track each corner follows the same procedure. There isn't a complex on the track, just isolated corners.
After a few laps the cornering procedure looks like this:
1) Brake just a little late, but try to judge on the side of caution due to understeer induced by correction inputs. Entering too hot will red out the tyres and then you're in the kitty litter.
2) On tight corners try to induce as much rotation as I can through brake lift off. On corners that don't have a middle, I still need to induce situational oversteer on entry to keep the cars movement on its suspension consistent for throttling out. The extremely slow nature of this cars steering without brake lift off, or at least some movement to induce the front to go inward, makes it very hard to turn without using the brake/throttle.
3) On tight corners throttle up enough to keep the rotation movement till the exit input is needed. On corners that don't have a middle, skip this.
4) Make a slight throttle lift off and reapply input to give the car a slightly in pointing like line for corner exit. Apply the throttle smoothly and don't overpower the tyres.
2.5) Do not try to correct the middle of a corner with steering, it's too slow to transfer the inputs to car movements. Make all line corrections through throttle application.
4.5) On exit apply corrections through steering, not throttle. Keep the throttle application smooth and consistent, steering inputs at this point can be very aggressive.
Not a car I would race with online, and I would probably grow very frustrated with anyone who tried. My lap times were horribly inconsistent. Correcting the car from an entry that is anything over slightly too fast or too slow and I blow my line so far that I'm losing 5 seconds per corner. For the middle of the corner, if I can't induce oversteer through brake lift off, I again lose my line so far that I lose seconds trying to get the cars body to move into a useful position. Corner exit is the easiest part of the corner. Probably since I pretty much am near a stand still and straight before I can get on the throttle in a useful way.
Under steer is present at all times, pre-entry is a must at all parts of a corner.
I name this car "Monza."

jtqmopar
Plymouth AAR Cuda 430 Six Barrel - 1:40.068
DC - 8

If it wasn't for the understeer under braking and power oversteer on exit this would be a 10 pointer because it did feel really good, except when braking and when exiting the corners if I was just a bit too heavy footed. Though the oversteer did help bring the rear round on the first corner if it understeered.

jtqmopar - Plymouth AAR Cuda 340 Six Barrel '70
Time - 1:38:987
DC - 7
Had some grip issues here. Predictable under braking but seemed to lose it mid to exit of the corners.

AAR Cuda 340 Six Barrel '70 tuned by JTQmopar
Understeers a little and throttle control can be difficult sometimes. 1:44.272
DC 6

Thanks, like I said earlier, I would get a nice lap then test again with minor tweaks that should have helped, but made it worse. I lost my tuning notes with the few consistent tunes I had. I tend to brake as late as possible for a turn, whiel still slowing enough to get back on the throttle as soon as I can. Hopefully I'll do better in future shootouts, and put more effort into keeping track of cause and effect in my tuning. It's funny how I have a 540PP tune for the car that was great the last time I used it in 1.03, but it just wouldn't work at 500PP.

@jtqmopar well said, the tuning is bit off right now in the game in general.

Something I do it's if I find a very solid tune its copy it to the C tab do that I can recover the setting rapidly. I also keep the GT6 tips and tricks app open for its tune save feature to store tunes off game.

Hey guys,

Sorry I ran out of time and was unable to test the submissions. I really wanted to participate in the first GT6 shootout. Unfortunately I suddenly ended up having to be out of town for work the past 3 weeks in a row, which really put a damper on my ability to play GT6.

I still may go back and try out some of the tunes and if so I'll provide the tuners feedback via PM

As for the results, I really think we had three classes, GT40, Super and Classic. So in my opinion, the Super Group podium should really look like this...

I reckon there is only the GT40 and all the rest of the cars. I tuned a car from the standard group that laps ahead of all the other "super muscle" cars. Banning cars at random at the beginning was just ridiculous.

Which cars got banned was random before the banned cars were returned to super muscle.
There was nothing random about the cars that where banned at the start of the challenge, each of them had a significant performance difference from the rest of the allowed cars, if you look at the sheet all of the cars in the super group where 2-5 seconds faster than the standard group.
The GT40 was and still is a grey car for the comp, yes it fits all the rules for how they where laid out. But it was not a production car it was a purpose built race car, it's the ONLY MR car in the american car line up, the rest are FR or AWD. To most people you say classic american muscle car and camero, corvette, mustang, nova and GTO's come to mind, to most people in the world the GT40 doesn't exists until the 2000's when it was produced, and the ones that know about the 60's version call it a race car.
What DB did was rather than ban the GT40 that you already tuned, was make a second group and allow you to keep the GT40 and give the rest of the field a chance, other wise this challenge would have been nothing but GT40's in the 6+ spots.

Before I entered my tune, 1/2 the tune entries were Mustang Mach 1's (the one car I had in the back of my mind as a contender) and what looked like the few cars that could compete with it all banned.

which is why it was moved to the super group when that was formed, if the super group had not been formed this challenge would have a story of mach 1's battleing it out.

which is why it was moved to the super group when that was formed, if the super group had not been formed this challenge would have a story of mach 1's battleing it out.

No, if the super group hadn't been formed then there would be no Mach 1's at all in the shootout.

No, if the super group hadn't been formed then there would be no Mach 1's at all in the shootout.
Mach 1 tunes were already released and to ban it after we realized they were that good would have been just as unfair as contemplating banning the GT40.

@iainoflo85 it's hard to say if @DigitalBaka would have banned it or did the same as he did when the GT40 was entered. iff i t had been pointed out as a rabbit car prior to tunes being submitted it would have gotten banned fast but it wasn't caught until a few tunes where submitted on the car.

Wrong, DB would have still found a way to not FORCE those tuners to have to tune another car due to them choosing the best car allowed.

There is a very positive thing in this shootout, we have now a lot of fantastic builds for a lot of cars. Some fasters than others but , this was one of the goal, but mainly very good cars well balanced grip tunes , made on one of the most challenging track for any kind of tuner and test driver.
The result is here, the cars. That´s count a lot .

To know if one car or another had to be banned is not important now. This experience can be used for the next shootout , for example adding a PP handicap after the man who wil organize the event will test all the cars that can participate to a fair lap time competition and driver choice classification.

Congrats to everybody.

Wrong, DB would have still found a way to not FORCE those tuners to have to tune another car due to them choosing the best car allowed.
Mach 1 wasn´t the best car allowed, the result proove this. We knew since the #Clueless Tunes - Classic Car Shootout# that the Z28 is the fastest muscle in GT5 , and still in GT6. The Mach 1 for me is very close and with a better handling. It´s also an excellent touge car. That´s why i choose it for this track, speed and driving sensations. Above all, i still think i could reach the Z28 path with 1.04 brakes.

The Z28 was originally banned if I remember right. But I don't mean to argue things, sometimes when I talk I show that I am still "young and dumb".

I think @DigitalBaka made the proper choices when faced with a few tough situations. A couple of the FITT regulars supplied DB with some data on the fleet of cars. I had built every one of them and drove them with stock suspension and a basic LSD setting. I think this shootout turned out well.

I would have tuned the Mustang Mach 1 if @MrGrado hadn't found the way to fit in the GT40. The Mach I looks terrible on power to weight ratio, but for some reason is the fastest car from the list. It was not this good in GT5.

Last edited:
I noticed a slight error in the google results table. It says my car was the Plymouth cuda but it should be the challenger. I don't know if that has messed with my end result either

I noticed a slight error in the google results table. It says my car was the Plymouth cuda but it should be the challenger. I don't know if that has messed with my end result either

The times are correct though, so it won't have affected your overall standing.

Something got hosed around in the car column as @XDesperado67 and @NEWDRIVER2 also had theirs switched at one point. I probably mis-sorted somewhere and didn't notice. All times and scores were entered based on tuner name though. I will update and double check the spreadsheet for archive posterity but overall results should not change.

As promised I have updated the GT40 as well
GT40 Mark I '66 FITT challenge tune update

I stablized the car, shifted the ballast around. It turns when you want it to, doesn't roll un-expectantly, and hangs on in the corners like it's got spikes on the tires.

And now to try out the tunes from everyone else :) see what they did, and learn.
Never stop learning. Cause the day you stop learning is the day you die.

Wow I was surprised at close my revision tune was to @Motor City Hami 's challenge tune.
Nearly the same on everything. And I promise I never looked at his tune prior to adjusting mine.
I am really looking forward to the next challenge. Was great fun.

After trying to tune the Nova and failing badly I thought I'd give the Ford GT40 a go and I think this might be my tune for the shootout, I may do a slow car since I have time.

It doesn't say anything about aero in the OP so I'm guessing it's okay . . . (if it's not I'll edit my post - I tuned without and added the aero after anyways)

Ford GT40 Mark I '66

View attachment 100758

Parts to buy:

Aero Kit Type A
Generic Wing Type D
American Racing VINTAGE TORQ THRUST Rims painted Matte Black (from either LFA)
Moulin Rouge paintjob (bought from the Plymouth Superbird)
Fully Customisable Suspension
Racing Brake Kit
Fully Customisable Transmission
Fully Customisable Mechanical Limited-Slip Differential
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
DO NOT DO AN OIL CHANGE or it won't get to 500PP

The tune:

Suspension:
Ride Height: 60 :: 64
Spring Rate: 7.08 :: 6.27
Dampers (Compression): 4 :: 4
Dampers (Extension): 3 :: 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 :: 4
Camber Angle: 1.0 :: 0.0
Toe Angle: 0.00 :: 0.00

Brakes:
4 :: 2

Transmission:
First set Final Gear to 4.000
Then set Max Speed to 124mph (far left)
1st: 2.973
2nd: 2.266
3rd: 1.767
4th: 1.410
5th: 1.172
Then set Final Gear to 3.175

Drivetrain:
Initial Torque: 7
Acceleration: 12
Braking: 14

Power Limiter:
95%

Ballast:
200 @ 0

Aero:
50 :: 120

Stats:
500PP
336BHP
1,280kg
41:59 weight distribution​

Thanks for this tune! It worked very well for the Historical Race Cup in game as well...
Made the GT40 completely driveable and it's now one of my favorite cars at the moment!

Thanks again!
Franz in NJ

Back