FITT: Blind Tuning Challenge! Congrats to Bowtie-muscle & Otaliema! Tuners Revealed!!

As for this thread, I would respectfully have to ask that we move the subject back to the current tuning challenge, there is a challenge going on isn't there? The mods and I have never had issues, nor do I desire to create one now or in my thread. So, all apologies if this comes off harsh but I feel it needs to be said.

👍 this would be the best to do :)

But I never want to see GTP go the way of some of the sites on the web where the AUP is a suggestion on behavior not a requirement.

👍 agreed to that 100% :)

Last edited by a moderator:
BACK to business.
How the heck did you hit 1:10.00 ????!!!!!!???
I tried my hardest and come really close to 1:12.00 even, but can't seem to break into the 1:11's.
I know I'm not the best driver in the world, but thats like 2 full seconds !!! Wow, man. just WOW.
Like ImToLegitToQuit said the first 2 turns have a lot of time to be gained in, I'm not a great driver either but I managed to go in the 1:10.xxx with quite a few of the cars, try taking the first curve wide and don't break to hard (I know that's not much help), just to reduce the speed and coast, depending on how hard you braked you'll either coast to the next curve or will need to accelerate or brake again. I've tried different approaches and the key for me was to let the car do the work, this worked better with the RX8 than the S2000. Also the curve out of the tunnel is important as it sets out a long acceleration to the final curve, I really hate it when someone tells me slow in / fast out but it works here :lol:. This feels so wrong me giving advice on how to drive :odd:, (before Otaliema puts this in I'll do it myself) it's like the blind leading the blind again :lol:. If you find some good cues for this track I'd be happy to here of them.

I strongly suspect that our friend ImToLegitToQuit has got some alien blood :scared:, 1:09.xxx , doesn't that smell like it.

Like ImToLegitToQuit said the first 2 turns have a lot of time to be gained in, I'm not a great driver either but I managed to go in the 1:10.xxx with quite a few of the cars, try taking the first curve wide and don't break to hard (I know that's not much help), just to reduce the speed and coast, depending on how hard you braked you'll either coast to the next curve or will need to accelerate or brake again. I've tried different approaches and the key for me was to let the car do the work, this worked better with the RX8 than the S2000. Also the curve out of the tunnel is important as it sets out a long acceleration to the final curve, I really hate it when someone tells me slow in / fast out but it works here :lol:. This feels so wrong me giving advice on how to drive :odd:, (before Otaliema puts this in I'll do it myself) it's like the blind leading the blind again :lol:. If you find some good cues for this track I'd be happy to here of them.

I strongly suspect that our friend ImToLegitToQuit has got some alien blood :scared:, 1:09.xxx , doesn't that smell like it.
no i'm far from an alien. this recent seasonal at eiger had me like 3 seconds behind the #1, and at that track 3 seconds is a lifetime. the fastest way i've found through turn 1+2 is brake just enough before turn 1 to not go off track in between turns. turn in early, you'll be going way too fast to wait until you are straight again to brake for turn 2 so you have to brake coming out of turn 1. when the weight starts moving forward it should start to rotate the car and get you pointed in the right direction for turn 2. you'll be on the ragged edge for a couple of seconds and will go off more than once:lol: but the car settles right as you start turning into turn 2 and you are already pointed in the right direction for the exit and can use the gas early and carry more speed up into the tunnel. it requires some trust in the car and some big co-ho-nes but it's really fast 👍

I was hitting low-mid 11s in the stock/mod cars when practising so I don't think 1:10s are out of the question, doubt I'll be able to get into the 9s unless someone has built something really special 👍

Some drivers are much faster with absolute grip but struggle when things start getting slippery, others are maybe not as quick in grippy cars but can maintain a faster pace when the car is a little less predictable. Its kind of like the difference between Rally drivers and F1 drivers, both are phenomenally skilled professionals but have different approaches and attitudes to racing

I was hitting low-mid 11s in the stock/mod cars when practising so I don't think 1:10s are out of the question, doubt I'll be able to get into the 9s unless someone has built something really special 👍

Some drivers are much faster with absolute grip but struggle when things start getting slippery, others are maybe not as quick in grippy cars but can maintain a faster pace when the car is a little less predictable. Its kind of like the difference between Rally drivers and F1 drivers, both are phenomenally skilled professionals but have different approaches and attitudes to racing
So I guess that will put me in the rally type drivers, come to think of it, I like that.👍

I like my cars to have the rear slightly lose, and be able to throw weight to my advantage. The problem with this, is if your used to this and are driving a tune not set up to do this, you get a wiggly pattern a lot and constantly find yourself asking forgiveness from the road, lol.
I literally have to do like 20 laps just to get used to the tunes before I can accurately judge them. Kind of detuning myself, in a way.
Not complaining, just saying. Could be worse ^^

I just find that some drivers panic at the first sign of oversteer and overreact when countering it, I know that 100% grip is generally the fastest way around a track and some view smoking the tyres as the devil but learning how to be comfortable with oversteer is something that every driver should learn.
Its kind of like learning how to water-ski without learning how to swim, you're fine until something goes wrong :lol:

I like my cars to have the rear slightly lose, and be able to throw weight to my advantage. The problem with this, is if your used to this and are driving a tune not set up to do this, you get a wiggly pattern a lot and constantly find yourself asking forgiveness from the road, lol.
I literally have to do like 20 laps just to get used to the tunes before I can accurately judge them. Kind of detuning myself, in a way.
Not complaining, just saying. Could be worse ^^
It makes you more versatile as a driver and you start to appreciate a great setup even more after driving a lot if tunes back to back. Testing can be tedious sometimes but I love it because I'm a better driver at the end.

I think @DolHaus is toying with us, laying back and playing Possum, logic tells me he tuned the IS350, but one of the tunes for the BRZ has his feel. None has a "trademark" DolHaus signature. Hmmmmm.........these are tough. One tune left to test and 2 to retest (they were the first 2, so for fairness I will give each a few more laps). May reveal results and guesses later.

I think @DolHaus is toying with us, laying back and playing Possum, logic tells me he tuned the IS350, but one of the tunes for the BRZ has his feel. None has a "trademark" DolHaus signature. Hmmmmm.........these are tough. One tune left to test and 2 to retest (they were the first 2, so for fairness I will give each a few more laps). May reveal results and guesses later.
I'm a mechanical ninja, you'll never find me! :lol:

The Duel
Blind Tuner Challenge

Track:
Grand Valley East (Reverse)

Car(s):
Honda S2000 '06
Mazda RX-8 Type S '07

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5

DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

Tuner 1 RX-8
Time: 1:11.060
DC Score: 8.5
Generally more on the loose side, especially under hard braking. Not bad if sliding around is what you are good at. Not that I'm good at loose setups, but my straight line braking style does help.

Tuner 2 S2000
Time: 1:11.991
DC Score: 7.5
It likes to slide around, nothing too crazy, and I question the stock transmission. There is a lot to be gained by tuning the trans especially with the Honda being the underdog. It felt sluggish to me but that could be me and that I drive an automatic trans.

Tuner 3 RX-8
Time: 1:11.083
It didn't feel very agile or nimble on its feet, but it was stable and safe. This kind of tune is done by someone who makes cars for a wide range of drivers....now who does a lot of tunes?

Tuner 4 RX-8
Time: 1:10.920
DC Score: 9.5
A car like this is why you drive! I really liked that this car suited the driver, if you are average, it will stay under you and give you confidence lap after lap. Push it more and it will gladly agree. This car can be wicked fast in the hands of better drivers.:bowdown:

Tuner 5 S2000
Time: 1:11.581
A little loose, but still a joy to drive. Even with it being a Honda!:sly: A very solid tune.

Tuner 6 RX-8
Time: 1:11.104
Another good tune that can be enjoyed by all. I felt as if there was a little something missing to make this car spectacular. If I was a better tuner, I might be able to suggest what to do...:dunce:

Tuner 7 RX-8
Time: 1:10.875
DC Score: 9.0
This car felt like it had been put through a technical tuning process. It was very precise on throttle and steering inputs. I like this one, and for a while it was the car to beat time wise.:cheers:

Tuner 8 S2000
Time: 1:11.472
You actually felt as if this is how a car would handle in real life as it bounced and moved around the track. It could push on entry if you launched yourself into the corners, but easily managed.

Tuner 9 RX-8
Time: 1:10.859
Amazing tune, agile and quick around the turns! But this car drove you, not the other way around. This car has attitude and a personality all its own. If it wasn't so stubborn it would have gotten a near perfect score.

Tuner 10 RX-8
Time: 1:10.243
Whoever tuned this car truly understood what can make a car quick around a particular track. The suspension was excellent and allowed you to take advantage of the quick sections of GVE reverse. Turns 1-4 were eaten up by this car. Before the fastest lap was set, it was easily doing 10.5xxs until I took it over the curbs and set a time that shocked me. I dub this tuner.... Evil Genius.:odd:

Tuner 11 S2000
Time: 1:12.411
DC Score: 7.0
I struggled finding speed in this car. My only guess would be the extra 50Kg. It was easy to drive but down the long stretch I watched previous ghosts pull away.

Great job tuners, as always you guys did an amazing job creating cars better than the stock settings.:cheers:
👍👍👍

As for the guesses, I submitted a copy of them to Bowtie yesterday, but I will post them here in a day or so. Until then, I'm looking forward to other tests and guesses maybe put doubts in the minds of my other testing competitors!:cool:

Last edited:
I'm a mechanical ninja, you'll never find me! :lol:
It's hard to figure out, no doubt I will be wrong. Pretty sure I can nail 6 out of 7 ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................wrong that is.:dopey:

The Duel
Blind Tuner Challenge

Track:

Car(s):
Honda S2000 '06
Mazda RX-8 Type S '07

Driving Options

DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

Tuner 1 RX-8
Generally more on the loose side, especially under hard braking. Not bad if sliding around is what you are good at. Not that I'm good at loose setups, but my straight line braking style does help.

Tuner 2 S2000
It likes to slide around, nothing too crazy, and I question the stock transmission. There is a lot to be gained by tuning the trans especially with the Honda being the underdog. It felt sluggish to me but that could be me and that I drive an automatic trans.

Tuner 3 RX-8
It didn't feel very agile or nimble on its feet, but it was stable and safe. This kind of tune is done by someone who makes cars for a wide range of drivers....now who does a lot of tunes?

Tuner 4 RX-8
A car like this is why you drive! I really liked that this car suited the driver, if you are average, it will stay under you and give you confidence lap after lap. Push it more and it will gladly agree. This car can be wicked fast in the hands of better drivers.:bowdown:

Tuner 5 S2000
A little loose, but still a joy to drive. Even with it being a Honda!:sly: A very solid tune.

Tuner 6 RX-8
Another good tune that can be enjoyed by all. I felt as if there was a little something missing to make this car spectacular. If I was a better tuner, I might be able to suggest what to do...:dunce:

Tuner 7 RX-8
This car felt like it had been put through a technical tuning process. It was very precise on throttle and steering inputs. I like this one, and for a while it was the car to beat time wise.:cheers:

Tuner 8 S2000
You actually felt as if this is how a car would handle in real life as it bounced and moved around the track. It could push on entry if you launched yourself into the corners, but easily managed.

Tuner 9 RX-8
Time: 1:11.859
Amazing tune, agile and quick around the turns! But this car drove you, not the other way around. This car has attitude and a personality all its own. If it wasn't so stubborn it would have gotten a near perfect score.

Tuner 10 RX-8
Whoever tuned this car truly understood what can make a car quick around a particular track. The suspension was excellent and allowed you to take advantage of the quick sections of GVE reverse. Turns 1-4 were eaten up by this car. Before the fastest lap was set, it was easily doing 10.5xxs until I took it over the curbs and set a time that shocked me. I dub this tuner.... Evil Genius.:odd:

Tuner 11 S2000
I struggled finding speed in this car. My only guess would be the extra 50Kg. It was easy to drive but down the long stretch I watched previous ghosts pull away.

Great job tuners, as always you guys did an amazing job creating cars better than the stock settings.:cheers:
👍👍👍

As for the guesses, I submitted a copy of them to Bowtie yesterday, but I will post them here in a day or so. Until then, I'm looking forward to other tests and guesses maybe put doubts in the minds of my other testing competitors!:cool:
Great job as usual, always love your reviews. Your comments are gold, now how many did you get right.......

Only I know and I'm not saying yet.:mischievous::mischievous::mischievous::mischievous:

Thank you my friend 👍

The Duel
Blind Tuner Challenge

Track:

Car(s):
Honda S2000 '06
Mazda RX-8 Type S '07

Driving Options

DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

Tuner 1 RX-8

Tuner 2 S2000

Tuner 3 RX-8

Tuner 4 RX-8

Tuner 5 S2000

Tuner 6 RX-8

Tuner 7 RX-8

Tuner 8 S2000

Tuner 9 RX-8

Tuner 10 RX-8

Tuner 11 S2000

👍👍👍

I'm happy with your review, fair and square, what you have said about the car is true :D

The Duel
Blind Tuner Challenge

Track:

Car(s):
Honda S2000 '06
Mazda RX-8 Type S '07

Driving Options

DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

Tuner 1 RX-8

Tuner 2 S2000

Tuner 3 RX-8

Tuner 4 RX-8

Tuner 5 S2000

Tuner 6 RX-8

Tuner 7 RX-8

Tuner 8 S2000

Tuner 9 RX-8

Tuner 10 RX-8

Tuner 11 S2000

👍👍👍

Nice going man, you beat me but with a different car, that was an excellent lap 👍. Are you ready to post your guesses yet?

The Duel
Blind Tuner Challenge

Track:

Car(s):
Honda S2000 '06
Mazda RX-8 Type S '07

Driving Options

DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

Tuner 1 RX-8

Tuner 2 S2000

Tuner 3 RX-8

Tuner 4 RX-8

Tuner 5 S2000

Tuner 6 RX-8

Tuner 7 RX-8

Tuner 8 S2000

Tuner 9 RX-8

Tuner 10 RX-8

Tuner 11 S2000

👍👍👍

None of this "if I were a better tuner" crap you beat @praiano63 for the podium not to long ago :) interesting results. Great job.

Not at all, no one have guessed right on mine :lol: I should have given riddles instead :lol:
You mean that I.....I didn't.............I didn't guess yours right?
desperate-rage-smiley-emoticon.gif
Shucks, ah wait I can still get 11 of 11................wrong
mr-burns-evil-laugh-smiley-emoticon.gif

banging-head-on-keyboard-smiley-emoticon.gif
saw this and thought of you.

The Duel
Blind Tuner Challenge

Track:

Car(s):
Honda S2000 '06
Mazda RX-8 Type S '07

Driving Options

DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

Tuner 1 RX-8

Tuner 2 S2000

Tuner 3 RX-8

Tuner 4 RX-8

Tuner 5 S2000

Tuner 6 RX-8

Tuner 7 RX-8

Tuner 8 S2000

Tuner 9 RX-8

Tuner 10 RX-8

Tuner 11 S2000

👍👍👍

Nice times sir. Seem to be on par with what other have done in terms of spread on the cars. I'll get you loaded up later tonight.

None of this "if I were a better tuner" crap you beat @praiano63 for the podium not to long ago :) interesting results. Great job.
You're right, but that car was made better with Mr. P's advice! All of my tunes take forever as I adjust, test, re-adjust, then repeat. You and some others here know exactly what to tweak to make a car better, I'm still learning from you FITT boys.

@TurnLeft I just reviewed your guesses to mine and I have 4 tuners that match yours...

👍👍👍

- I congratulate you for the times obtained. his words were like honey to bees but the truth and. without the testers as we could make adjustments without your knowledge, often you guys tell us how to improve our setup, showing data etc .Thank you.:cheers::bowdown:

Back