FITT Car of the Month - January '14 - Mazdaspeed Atenza '05

DigitalBaka

How hard can it be?
Premium
United States
IL, USA
DigitalBaka
DigitalBaka587
Welcome to the latest addition to FITT, the car of the month! Our aim is to provide a central thread to highlight tunes for a particular, little used car in GT6. While similar to the "Beater or Sleeper Car of the Week" we will try to differentiate this as a more in-depth discussion of each car and a reference collection for tunes.

So what do I do here?

As a tuner, please post or link your tunes in the thread and I will compile a listing at the front for archival purposes. Feel free to share any difficulties, tips or ask questions about the tuning each car. Please be sure to add the game version your tune was made with as this will help in the future should there be any major physics changes.

If you're just here browsing, please go ahead and try out the tunes and if you can let us know how well or not they worked for you. Please remember Rule 13 when submitting feedback!

How else can I help?
Encourage your friends who may have used the car to post tunes or feedback here. If you know of a tune that has been posted but is not linked here please try to get permission from the tuner to link it here or let them know about the thread so they can post it.

How do you choose the Car of the Month?

This first one is completely random. I literally closed my eyes in the dealership and moved the cursor around the brands. Once I had one I looked through to see if there was anything that stood out as a dust collector. Voila!

For future months I plan to use popular opinion and suggestions. Vote in the poll at the top and post suggestions in the thread. The winning category will be taken out for the following month and I will randomly select from the suggestions made in the thread commentary.

And with that out of the way, on with the show!

Last edited:
mazda_mazdaspeed_atenza_05.jpg

What GT6 says:

"Mazda has a habit of making high performance versions of its cars, even if that car is a 4-door people-hauler. Thus, the Mazdaspeed6 was created, a special high-performance version of the company's mid-sized sedan, the Mazda6. The Mazdaspeed6 (called the Mazdaspeed Atenza in Japan, the Mazda6 MPS in Europe) was unveiled at the 2004 Paris Motor Show.

Under its hood was a newly-developed turbocharged 2.3-liter direct-injection inline-4 that sent power to all four wheels. The engine was not just about peak power, but was tuned to produce a hearty low-end punch, usually uncharacteristic for a turbocharged engine.

Mazda also improved the car's chassis. Mazdaspeed engineers made sure the body could handle the extra engine power by strengthening structural rigidity and firming up the car's suspension system. The all-wheel-drive system consisted of Mazda's own Active Torque Control Coupling system that managed the torque between the front and rear wheels for maximum cornering ability. It monitored the car's steering angle, yaw rate, lateral G-force and engine conditions in real time, enabling the system to adaptively adjust the torque split ratio from 100 percent to the front tires to a 50/50 split between the front and the rear.

The car looked sportier than the base model thanks to a revised hood, 18-in. wheels and air intakes in the front bumper. The Mazdaspeed6, which went on sale in 2005, was a refreshing entry in an otherwise stale segment.
"

Last edited:
Actually have a tune for one of these nearly ready for release. Will get it posted in next couple of days.👍👍

Love it, once some tunes get posted here I will link to this thread in my op if that's okay.

XS
Love it, once some tunes get posted here I will link to this thread in my op if that's okay.
Perfectly fine! Hopefully these will help to fill out some of the dusty areas of your archives. :)

So, I realize there is no poll right now. I made a boo boo when I created the thread. I've asked a couple admins if they can add one for me, but if not I will make a separate thread for that. :embarrassed:

Hmm. That's weird. In the PAL version of GT4, when this car first appeared, it was called the Mazda6 MPS (ie its English name). So you'd think they'd duplicate the two models...but no, it's just the Atenza here. Still, at least they got one dupe case right but...it's the wrong one they chose :P

What do I care though. I'll go out and do this at some point.

I threw a quick one together last night. Is this for anyone to post or just people involved FITT?
Feel free to post your tune! Anyone and everyone is welcome to post here, discuss, etc.

Nope. Whatever you've got! :sly: Max tune, restricted, drift, drag, cruise....anything goes.

I purchased the car and gave it a semi "stock" tune (suspension and LSD). Not a bad ride 👍 might play around with it some more :dopey:

Queen of Hearts, 550PP SH-SS Tires
Can be a very quick car, but is also a bit demanding and will happily kill you if your not 100% focused.

If you want a more relaxing 550PP drive buy a BMW or something. If your looking for a challenge, not just of the other cars your racing but your own skill and endurance then try the "Queen of Hearts"!:crazy::lol:

I have a tune near ready. It is still a challenge to get 4wd cars to turn in GT6.
The Golf R32 is the exception. It's shockingly good, especially on-throttle. 7:40 'ring time with nothing more than SS, Racing LSD, and adjustable center diff.

XS
The Golf R32 is the exception. It's shockingly good, especially on-throttle. 7:40 'ring time with nothing more than SS, Racing LSD, and adjustable center diff.
I love tuning and driving 4wd cars.
The Atenza is the toughest one I've ran into so far, but even it I managed to get fairly decent rotation out of.
If you like the Golf you should love the Audi S3 I'm working on. Also suggest you try out my Quattro '82 and RS200. :cheers:

I don't own the Quattro yet, but I'll certainly check out the Atenza and RS200 tomorrow 👍.

discussion are welcome, but something is interfering in some cars eg a hearing tuned soft sports tire the car was good, but it's time to put the soft tire race, the car is uncontrollable, that does not happen in GT5.
have cars that are not updated as in GT5.Audi and one

11851672813_baa02b60ca_b.jpg

My Tune for the Mazdaspeed Atenza 05':

493pp, 400hp, 1500kg, 56:44 weight split.

Parts Installed:
Sports Hard tires
Full Race Susp
Racing Brakes(9:3)
Sports Computer
Semi-Race Exhaust
IsoMet Exh Mani
Sports Cat
Full Adj LSD
Adj Center Diff
Twin Plate Clutch
Ballast
Weight Red Stage 2
Carbon Hood

Suspension: Front Rear
Ride Height 90 95
Spring Rate 9.02 9.93
Damp Comp 2 3
Damp Ext 4 4
ARB 2 3
Camber .5 .9
Toe 0 0

LSD: Front Rear
Int 25 10
Accel 36 30
Decel 17 30

Tq Split: 30:70(stock)

Ballast: 200kg @ full rear

NOTES: Its a pretty straight-foward tune. No fancy tricks to get it to go. Steers great, with a touch of oversteer if your not carefull with the throttle on corner-exit. All tuning was done at Deep Forest using a G27 wheel, no clutch. I suck at the Nordshleif but i managed to get a 7:48 on SH...not sure if thats good for a 493pp car or not.

Feedback extremely welcome!

Last edited:
Added a pic from my friend Google and linked the posted tunes up top. I haven't heard back from the admins yet so I'll post a poll for next months COTM in a new thread later today. I'll get a pic of my own and maybe finish up a tune once it warms up enough to brave the basement for a couple hours. :scared:

NOTES: Its a pretty straight-foward tune. No fancy tricks to get it to go. Steers great, with a touch of oversteer if your not carefull with the throttle on corner-exit. All tuning was done at Deep Forest using a G27 wheel, no clutch. I suck at the Nordshleif but i managed to get a 7:48 on SH...not sure if thats good for a 493pp car or not.

This is a very nice time indeed. 7.39 was the ultimate time for the R35 GTR in 2009. With the same level in tires and over 500PS in reality (485PS the ofiicial number but we all know...)

11851672813_baa02b60ca_b.jpg

My Tune for the Mazdaspeed Atenza 05':

493pp, 400hp, 1500kg, 56:44 weight split.

Parts Installed:
Sports Hard tires
Full Race Susp
Racing Brakes(9:3)
Sports Computer
Semi-Race Exhaust
IsoMet Exh Mani
Sports Cat
Full Adj LSD
Adj Center Diff
Twin Plate Clutch
Ballast
Weight Red Stage 2
Carbon Hood

Suspension: Front Rear
Ride Height 90 95
Spring Rate 9.02 9.93
Damp Comp 2 3
Damp Ext 4 4
ARB 2 3
Camber .5 .9
Toe 0 0

LSD: Front Rear
Int 25 10
Accel 36 30
Decel 17 30

Tq Split: 30:70(stock)

Ballast: 200kg @ full rear

I've built it. The oil is changed. I can only reach 479PP/357BHP, and not 493PP/400BHP.
Will you check the parts listed, please? Thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't yet, but I think I will drive a bunch this weekend to see if I can figure out what is wrong with mine. A fresh perspective, if you will. :)

@xande1959 I noticed you have a tune for the Atenza in your garage. Do you mind if I link it here?

@DigitalBaka I'm not sure my tune will help you figure anything out other than that I'm crazy.:lol:

While it's plenty fast and I think I've gotten rid of the worst of the understeer, driving it at least for me is sort of like riding a half tamed wild horse that if your forcful enough with will mostly go where you want in a big hurry.

Think it's better than stock, but definitely wouldn't call it a great tune. Unfortunately driving it is just to exhausting for me to try making it better.:drool:

My Caldina tune, S.M.U.T., is both easier to drive and quicker, so think the Atenza may just be one of those cars that are going to be a major challenge to get top notch performance out of.

I was surprised how good it was to drive stock. Even with just sports hard tires it felt very good. Not particularly fast per se but it was a nice drive.

I think I'm getting too much weight transfer to the front outside in the corners. It doesn't go red unless I really dive in but it stays a dark yellow just about all the time. Maybe I'll post it in here and get some ideas from the pros. Bros? Pro bros? :)

Back