FITT-Hot Hatch Tuning Challenge - Final Results are in!

Gazing into a crystal ball, in a trance. "I feel a presence from the other side, it's trying to push through. Ugggh! Ack! No! No! No, Jack! You will not possess this thread!"

Begone! Begone, foul spirit!" Trance ends.
Not that 🤬 idiot again :rolleyes:

Gazing into a crystal ball, in a trance. "I feel a presence from the other side, it's trying to push through. Ugggh! Ack! No! No! No, Jack! You will not possess this thread!"

:lol:

But you don't have the irrefutable concrete evidence that it is him? Oh wait a minute, you didn't say that.lol

I feel a bit lost in all that but I've heard a few musings and rumors. Just make sure we're all staying within the AUP and Rule 13. No sense in being a nuisance while trying to get rid of one. :cheers:

Use an adjustable gearbox and tune the gears yourself, your problems solved ;)

If in a shoot-out and you want to be certain the same gears are used, just copy the gearing from the 6spd and tell people to use those gears on an adjustable gear set.

If you got to use a 6spd take it how it comes. As I said originally, gears use rpm for max speed calculations.

My Golf set up if I add a 6spd after all performance parts are added will give the following gears

Top Speed of 134mph with my Tune

If I remove all power upgrades and reapply the 6spd I get the following

I reapply my performance parts

Top speed is now 154mph same tune.

20mph gain by adding the 6spd before performance parts

Lmfao it is what it is.

Last edited:
If the challenge requires a non-customizable transmission, then this will not work. That is what the situation here is.

Note the way you apply the 6spd, before or after any mod that raises revlimit and to be sure write the gears down and include it in the post of the tune so people know it's right.

Use the trick I showed to manipulate the gearing of the 6spd to your advantage. While 6spd is fixed you can alter top speed.

Note the way you apply the 6spd, before or after any mid that raises revlimit and to be sure write the gears down and include it in the post of the tune so people know it's right.

Use the trick I showed to manipulate the gearing of the 6spd to your advantage.

Yeah we all know that but in this case we want the opposite, the shorter gearing. The car barely gets up to 6th speed on main straight. Before that straight there is this mid-fast right hander that's so crucial for getting it right to set a faster lap time. I'd like it to stay on 4th gear to take that corner, I want to avoid having to use 3rd gear only for a little bit and upshift. The car has stock clutch and is turbo-charged. The unnecessary shifting costs you time. So shorter gearing enables me to use 4th gear in usuable power band on that corner, and it can be achieved with reseted transmission that gives me slightly shorter ratio.
@JujiroMatsuda is correct with the reason "manipulating" is not useful, if you have faster top speed, you have longer gears that work against you in some/most corners.

Please, is this guy serious? Jack is that you? You want to show us a trick about tuning? You joined Friday,correct? Go read up on who your actually posting too,then you can slowly turn around,put the tail between your legs and walk off into the abyss that is the internet.

If in a shoot-out and you want to be certain the same gears are used, just copy the gearing from the 6spd and tell people to use those gears on an adjustable gear set.

If you got to use a 6spd take it how it comes. As I said originally, gears use rpm for max speed calculations.

My Golf set up if I add a 6spd after all performance parts are added will give the following gears

Lmfao it is what it is.

It's actually a wrong answer mate, the correct answer is "Who is Jack you guys talking about?"

Lmfao it is what it is.

It's not your tuning, it's all these mythical parts you added. "JACK"

The car it's based on has Neuspeed springs, strut bar, & sways. Bilstein damps, BBS RS wheels, GiAC chip, Boost Controller & BOV, turbo back & gutted Catt using the WRX CEL eliminator. Hawk Pads & Falken rubber. Carbon hood, B&M short throw, M3 side mirrors, eyelids and front lip. I'll get pics when I can.

Lol sure thing there Bud, mythical parts, good one. Want some schooling in real tuning or just GT?

Manipulating top speed is on the tuner. If you need more out of a gear ahhhh you can get it. It's not a given manipulation top speed will be beneficial but then again it's not a given leaving it at the slowest top speed will either. It's going to come down to track, tune, driver. Certainly knowing how and defining the ability is not "wrong" lmfao but maybe on this planet straying far from the heard is "wrong". Often fixed 6spd gear sets are too short in the first 2 gears anyways unless the tq is neutered, so a little more gearing CAN be used to get better power down, but again it's on the tuner.

Low post count doesn't say much about how long or how much tuning experience I have IRL OR the game, but chances are it's more than most.

Last edited:
my head is spinning..... so to get things back on track. I've started testing the MiTo's and they are a bunch of fun. Some really nice tunes and I think I'm learning a little based on some of these settings how to get FF's to rotate better into and through turns and then pull tighter when exiting the turns instead of pushing wide on the exit. It is a really tough balance to get an FF to feel fluid through the whole turn but you tuners having done some good work. Different driving styles are definitely necessary as some require a slow in/fast out approach and some allow for trail braking into turns. Slowly but surely my confusion and frustration with FF's is decreasing

Manipulating top speed is on the tuner. If you need more out of a gear ahhhh you can get it. It's not a given manipulation top speed will be beneficial but then again it's not a given leaving it at the slowest top speed will either. It's going to come down to track, tune, driver.
Remember, this is still on the challenge restrictions of non-customizable transmission.

If you have your power where you want it and you reset the transmission at that point, but you still could gain time on the track with a better transmission, there is no manipulation that can give you a shorter gearing.

Manipulating top speed is on the tuner. If you need more out of a gear ahhhh you can get it. It's not a given manipulation top speed will be beneficial but then again it's not a given leaving it at the slowest top speed will either. It's going to come down to track, tune, driver. Certainly knowing how and defining the ability is not "wrong" lmfao but maybe on this planet straying far from the heard is "wrong". Often fixed 6spd gear sets are too short in the first 2 gears anyways unless the tq is neutered, so a little more gearing CAN be used to get better power down, but again it's on the tuner.
Unless you are on a track where the first 2 gears are used non-stop, they don't affect enough of the track to decrease a lap time, thus, manipulating still fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol sure thing there Bud, mythical parts, good one. Want some schooling in real tuning or just GT?

Manipulating top speed is on the tuner. If you need more out of a gear ahhhh you can get it. It's not a given manipulation top speed will be beneficial but then again it's not a given leaving it at the slowest top speed will either. It's going to come down to track, tune, driver. Certainly knowing how and defining the ability is not "wrong" lmfao but maybe on this planet straying far from the heard is "wrong". Often fixed 6spd gear sets are too short in the first 2 gears anyways unless the tq is neutered, so a little more gearing CANA help.

Low post count doesn't say much about how long or how much tuning experience I have IRL OR the game, but chances are it's more than most.

Yes actually, I would love some schooling in tuning.:sly: I could create a room right now and you could show me some of your tricks,:nervous: or perhaps you could teach me how I should maybe tune my 1971 Chevelle or maybe my motorcycle or snowmobile. I could always use some help.:lol: I mean I would have no clue what so ever about a video game or reality. Yeah, being 52 and wrenching on car's, bike's, snowmobile's, since I got outta diapers, I would have no clue about real life. Hit me up on PSN and pick your poison. I'm always in the mood to learn.:P

Remember, this is still on the challenge restrictions of non-customizable transmission.

If you have your power where you want it and you reset the transmission at that point, but you still could gain time on the track with a better transmission, there is no manipulation that can give you a shorter gearing.

No won't get shorter gearing the when all parts removed, your limited to raising gearing if you need or want to. That is true. No getting slower gearing, just faster.

Often a 6spd has gears too short in 1st & 2nd when tq is increased, it's max speed is set to the stock gearing of 5th on a 6spd (6th overdrive) and for stock power it's okay, but raise it and short gears may be too short.

No won't get shorter gearing the when all parts removed, your limited to raising gearing if you need or want to. That is true. No getting slower gearing, just faster.

Often a 6spd has gears too short in 1st & 2nd when tq is increased, it's max speed is set to the stock gearing of 5th on a 6spd (6th overdrive) and for stock power it's okay, but raise it and short gears may be too short.
Faster how? If you install the transmission and then the power, you have a higher top speed, but it accelerates slower.

OK OK OK....this is where we are at: a situation was noted and I was informed, after some discussion a solution was found. And that is this: when building a tune or changing from 1 tune to another, Trans should be reset to standard trans, set the rest of the tune and the final thing to do is to add the NON-ADJUSTABLE 6spd trans. That is where the issue lies, not with Fully Customizable Trans. This will be official for this shootout and I will add a special note to the testers on the first page. I should remind everyone of what has already been said, Rule 13 and the AUP apply. @Motor City Hami and @DigitalBaka are founders of FITT and should be treated and respected as such! Thank You!

OK OK OK....this is where we are at: a situation was noted and I was informed, after some discussion a solution was found. And that is this: when building a tune or changing from 1 tune to another, Trans should be reset to standard trans, set the rest of the tune and the final thing to do is to add the NON-ADJUSTABLE 6spd trans. That is where the issue lies, not with Fully Customizable Trans. This will be official for this shootout and I will add a special note to the testers on the first page. I should remind everyone of what has already been said, Rule 13 and the AUP apply. @Motor City Hami and @DigitalBaka are founders of FITT and should be treated and respected as such! Thank You!
Amen to that
Amen to that brother :bowdown:

I know there were other respected members of the Planet involved in the creation of FITT and I mean them no disrespect. However, DB and MCH have been part of this ongoing discussion and that's why only they were mentioned. No disrespect meant at you @krenkme as I know you have been around longer than I have.

I know there were other respected members of the Planet involved in the creation of FITT and I mean them no disrespect. However, DB and MCH have been part of this ongoing discussion and that's why only they were mentioned. No disrespect meant at you @krenkme as I know you have been around longer than I have.

Oh none taken at all!!! Just making light of the situation as always my friend :D

I've hosted two shoot outs, so I know a little comic relief is needed from time to time. That's me :dopey:

Back