FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

OMG! I failed with my tune, I tuned my improved touring class car with racing brakes on it but I forgot to add them to the list of parts added. Well, too late to fix it now. At least I know about it, i wouldn't have known if I weren't helping @DigitalBaka with the spreadsheet. So thank you DB for indirectly helping me.

Neuter it to get to 200hp. (Use power limiter) Looking at other tunes in the class my number is too high : banghead:. I'll edit to post later today once I get the right number. Sorry 'bout that :dopey:
No worries it's 90.7% i think I'll edit that number in a few have a couple more tunes to test in the next car before I reload yours, so hour or so I'll get it posted.

OMG! I failed with my tune, I tuned my improved touring class car with racing brakes on it but I forgot to add them to the list of parts added. Well, too late to fix it now. At least I know about it, i wouldn't have known if I weren't helping @DigitalBaka with the spreadsheet. So thank you DB for indirectly helping me.
I literly just got done testing your car, I didn't notice the missing racing upgrade on the brakes. still one of the fastest of tunes so far.

I wouldn't worry, the effects of racing brakes are debatable at best

I literly just got done testing your car, I didn't notice the missing racing upgrade on the brakes. still one of the fastest of tunes so far.
Yeah, I'm going through filling in the spreadsheet and was like, did I forget that? So I loaded the game and looked, it was installed. I don't think they will remove too much time anyways, just earlier braking.

@DaBomm4 well of all the parts to forget to list that was the best one to forget. they have little impact on time mabye a few thousands of a second to an average driver a hundredth to a top notch.

I will attach my co driver replay for Spec Miata class at Streets of Willow, it's done on ABS 1, should give better understanding of how the car can be pushed, most of the time the car can be driven hard. Take a note of the driver name :lol:

@DigitalBaka, @biffa3, @iainoflo85, @jules283, @Lionheart2113,
The replay will be useful to see how the car is driven for reference and comparison purposes. Lap is at 1:27.4xxx. When I test it with ABS 0, I managed 1:26s, my co driver next to me was fuming with rage :lol: we were playing together testing and tuning, lots of input from my co driver was used to build the Spec Miata tune.

@Motor City Hami : Is this okay for me to share test lap replay ? If not I will take it down :)

Attachments

• RidoxSpecMiataTestLap-CoDriverABS1-KT.zip
    311.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hmmm incomplete....wonder which one that is??? I just wrapped up the Spec testing. Are we supposed to give just the scores on the spreadsheet or do you think it would be beneficial to include a post that have notes and likes/dislikes as well?? And for the testers doing multiple categories, should we list them as soon as we are done, or just post them all at once? I know, a thousand questions....

I recommend doing one post in this thread for each class. I will type the lap time and driver's choice into the Google document. As for feedback, the way @Otaliema has just done it is perfect.

Tuner Name first
Lap time and DC right there at the top
Good feedback on how the car drove

The feedback does not need to be super long, but something to let the tuner know what the car did well and where it struggled.

Hmmm incomplete....wonder which one that is??? I just wrapped up the Spec testing. Are we supposed to give just the scores on the spreadsheet or do you think it would be beneficial to include a post that have notes and likes/dislikes as well?? And for the testers doing multiple categories, should we list them as soon as we are done, or just post them all at once? I know, a thousand questions....
@krenkme with your SCCA Improved touring class car I'm getting 214 hp with your listed parts and PL at 97.2% do I need to change the PL or take something off the car?

Hmmm. I do not remember having the same problem when I built his car last night. I remember it only being at 201 hp and only having to knock it down to 92.1%??? It was late, so I could be wrong. Getting a 214 hp number to me sounds like there is an additional part installed?

@Motor City Hami @DolHaus i was asking as the tune as posted was giving 214 hp, with the 97.2% PL I was asking if he added parts or typo-ed the PL he answered that it was the PL. I know it's not an oil change issue as the other 1880 RS came out perfectly and I just update the tune for each new car.

@Motor City Hami @DolHaus i was asking as the tune as posted was giving 214 hp, with the 97.2% PL I was asking if he added parts or typo-ed the PL he answered that it was the PL. I know it's not an oil change issue as the other 1880 RS came out perfectly and I just update the tune for each new car.

otaliema...!!! you mean you changed the parameters of Mazda Roadster NC'07 ??

SCCA Spec Miata Tuners

Right, before I begin, I want to state a few things and how I went about testing. Notice the controller set up, yes it’s prehistoric and in the words of Jeremy Clarkson “Just Sh-tupid”, but it’s what I’m used to. The other thing is Stock vs Tune.

Stock = All purchased parts installed, per tune, but not modified (ie Customizable LSD would be installed, but left at the default setting 10/40/20) and the weight modifications were made according to the tune. These times do not count for anything….just notes.

Tune = The EXACT specifications of the tune…some of the engine percentages could have been raised .1-.3% on a few, but left exactly as stated in the tune. These are the times that will be registered.

I would drive 5 laps using the Stock tune setup to get a feel for the car. I would then do a 2 lap time trial trying to set the best ghost car/time.
I would then take the Tune out for 5 laps and race it against the ghost car for comparison. After the first 5 laps the goody’s were gone, so I would restart and do another 5 laps. If I felt like I messed up or that the time could be a little better, I would give it another fresh 2 laps. The reason for doing this was for study purposes (mainly for my notes) but since you are all like brothers, I thought I would share! The comments are based off of the Tune car itself.
I’m not a negative person, so if there is any criticism it’s not meant to be an insult, and if my time is slower than what you have, then that’s fair enough. These are non bias opinions based on how I drive and should be taken with a grain of salt! I respect and appreciate the time the tuners have put into their tunes and I will try everything I can to get the most out of the tune itself.

Track: Streets of Willow Springs (1.66mi)

Track Settings: Grip Reduction = Real

Driving Setup: DS3, D-pads, “X” throttle, square brake, & Automatic transmission

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5

DaBomm4
Mazda MX-5 (NA) ‘89
Stock: 1:27.318

Tune: 1:27.134 Drivers Choice: 7.5
The car was stable during braking, but felt a little nose heavy. Snug through the center of the turn with the rear end kicking out if you applied full throttle. A little easy on the gas and this car can handle its own.

Chipmonk77
Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) ‘89
Stock: 1:26.971

Tune: 1:26.910 Drivers Choice: 8.5
The stock tune was squirrelly with poor sway. The tune resolved that issue and gave it better braking. The only thing that still lingered was the loose on full throttle. Throttle control is needed through the chicanes, if not, you will find yourself chasing the rear of the car instead of pointing the front at the next turn.

bread82
Mazda MX-5 J-Limited (NA,J) ‘91
Stock: 1:27.435

Tune: 1:26.898 Drivers Choice: 8.5
Pushes a little on corner entry but great brakes. Even though it has the fastest time, I had to rely heavily on the e-brake to help get the back end to rotate. Who knows, if Camber ever gets sorted in GT6, that would help make this car a monster.

backnfourth
Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA,J) ‘95
Stock: 1:28.045

Tune: 1:27.595 Drivers Choice: 9.0
Great car. This tune was the most comfortable to me. The rear end stayed where you wanted it to. Even if you took a bad line, the rotation thru the center would allow you to correct and save the turn with minimal damage. This tune was the most consistent for me being able to run mid 1:27’s every lap. (I would take this car to an endurance race any day of the week)

JackWilson
Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA,J) ‘95
Stock: 1:27.933

Tune: 1:27.665 Drivers Choice: 7.5
I’ll admit I was drooling when running the stock version around the track thinking just a few tweeks here and there, this car would be unstoppable. But the tune version, although a tick faster, was a little too tight. If you weren’t perfect on your approach, you would spend the rest of the corner trying to correct it. Kudos to you Jack on your sub 1:27!

Bowtie-Muscle
Mazda MX-5 SR-Limited (NA,J) ‘97
Stock: 1:27.730

Tune: 1:27.528 Drivers Choice: 7.5
The Stock version of this car with the parts chosen and the weight distribution were pretty good. The Tune, however, got a little snug on corner entry. Backing up braking points and patience with the throttle on exit helped, but it did take a perfect lap in order to beat the Stock time.

HTR Tuning
Stock: 1:27.479

Tune: 1:27.210 Drivers Choice: 7.5
Had to really feather the throttle on exit, this car wanted to slide more than average. Maybe a gas pedal suits this car more than a button. Still had a grin on my face while driving it!

Harsk100
Stock: 1:28.130

Tune: 1:28.081 Drivers Choice: 6.0
I found this tune to be hella tight. Either I was tight all the way through the turn, or when I tried changing my line and braking early, it would like to lock up, still causing me to take a poor line. Couldn’t get a handle on the car or what it wanted.

Ridox2JZTGE
Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (NA,J) ‘97
Stock: 1:27.218

Tune: 1:27.878 Drivers Choice: 8.0
Yes, you are reading those times correctly. I apologize Ridox, I ran more laps in this car than any other because it didn’t make any sense to me. The Tune ate up corner exits like there was no tomorrow. Lap after lap I was looking at a sub 1:27, leaving the tune ghost car in my dust…then came turn 8, the right u-shape turn leading to the back stretch. I still can’t explain it, I tried sooo many lines, but the ghost car would slaughter me from that point all the way to the start/finish line. It’s gotta be me, or atleast I’m hoping it is. Still top marks for the corner exit, amazing!

DozUK
Stock: 1:28.227

Tune: 1:27.513 Drivers Choice: 7.0
I was apprehensive when I saw the Stage 2 Turbo installed. A low power car, automatic transmission, (my fault not yours) that couldn’t be adjusted, tight turns, and hills. The delay coming out of the corners killed my time, because I couldn’t keep the RPM’s up enough. But the tune itself was comfortable and stable. Can’t wait to see how the manual’s handle it.

killerjimbag
Mazda MX-5 J-Limited (NA,J)
Stock: 1:27.670

Tune: 1:27.397 Drivers Choice: 7.0
Comfortable tune once you get used to it. Lost a little of the ability to roll thru the center of the turn becoming a little snug, then becomes loose on exit when standing on the gas.

otaliema...!!! you mean you changed the parameters of Mazda Roadster NC'07 ??
I think what you are wondering is, when he finishes testing a tune, he just changes everything in the settings and continues onto testing the next (new) car.

@krenkme :dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce: i left another part on the car from the previous tune sorry your posted tune was completely correct I just missed it sorry :dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::banghead::banghead: I need more coffee or more sleep.

Just wondering, did you reset the transmission and then try tuning it from there?
or thought I did. going back and checking i seem to off a little bit to day as i just figured out with krenkme and the fact i had left another part on the car and I didn't notice it even after 4 checks before i posted here.
OK i'm taking a break thats two set up errors that oridingated between the controller and the couch. :banghead:

Ridox2JZTGE
Stock: 1:27.218

Tune: 1:27.878 Drivers Choice: 8.0
Yes, you are reading those times correctly. I apologize Ridox, I ran more laps in this car than any other because it didn’t make any sense to me. The Tune ate up corner exits like there was no tomorrow. Lap after lap I was looking at a sub 1:27, leaving the tune ghost car in my dust…then came turn 8, the right u-shape turn leading to the back stretch. I still can’t explain it, I tried sooo many lines, but the ghost car would slaughter me from that point all the way to the start/finish line. It’s gotta be me, or atleast I’m hoping it is. Still top marks for the corner exit, amazing!

Thanks for the detailed review :) So my tune is slower than stock :eek:, anyway for turn 8 ( fishbowl ), you can download the replay that I attached on a post above, it should give you great input on how to enter the turn and full throttle all the way from the apex :D You can also see how the car can be on full throttle on most corners - yeah I tuned it so it can exit every corner like a boss :lol:

@DigitalBaka - I do think we need to develop a standardized entry form for the tunes. Without car sharing, this is a ton of work for the testers. It took me a few hours last night just to build Spec Miata and Improved Touring. Maybe a format is posted in the OP and everyone must copy/paste it into a post or maybe a Google Doc to enter your tune like you are building? Something.
Agreed. If they get us car sharing soon we can go back to our old ways but until then it is definitely tough.

We can experiment with the tune sheet I linked earlier. If folks want to try to enter in some info, even if just a little we can see if that method might make things easier.

Spec Miata is done apart from @demonchilde , might take a while longer to finish all the tunes. I will leave that for tomorrow as I need to be up early and don't want to sit upright anymore. :P I sound old. :indiff:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NTY1RkUl83c0t1XzRjZHhYOWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

EDIT: Currently I have open editing on the sheet. If anyone sees something amiss please feel free to change it. And if you feel like taking on the other tabs have at it! :D
All of the Improved Touring Class has been updated. Transmission is currently on the bottom, should it be moved up where it belongs?

Thanks for the detailed review :) So my tune is slower than stock :eek:, anyway for turn 8 ( fishbowl ), you can download the replay that I attached on a post above, it should give you great input on how to enter the turn and full throttle all the way from the apex :D You can also see how the car can be on full throttle on most corners - yeah I tuned it so it can exit every corner like a boss :lol:

Mission accomplished on the corner exit. First car for me in GT6 that could handle like that. Will def be looking at the video, because I'm at a loss. I'm no spring chicken, and I tried every trick at my disposal.

View attachment 122670 Hey Guys,

Here are my tunes:

SCCA SPEC MIATA Class

MX-5 Miata (NA) '89

Dolomitengrau (BMW 507 '57)
Rims +1 RAYS TE37V in Bianco White
Aero Front Wing A
Comfort Soft Tyres

Fully adjustable Suspension
Fully adjustable LSD
5-speed transmission short
Window Ballast reduction
Carbon Hood
Weight reduction 1

Engine Tuning 1
ECU
Sports exhaust
Isometric manifold

Settings:

Supsension
92/98
6,90/5,95
5/4
6/5
2/5
0.0/0.0
-0,05/0,00

Brakes 8/8

Engine
90,0 %

LSD 8/15/7
Weight 91kg at 20 % 950kg 52:48

135 bhp at 5.900 rpm and 165 nm at 5.800 rpm

Hey Testers and Tuners,

I am very happy with the first testers' impressions on my SCCA SPEC MIATA TUNE.
I try to understand what you mean and it helps me to improve my tuning abilities.

For your Information and helping to understand my tunings specs i just want to tell you what equipment i used tuning my cars:

I am using a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel and use it with 900 degree wheel axis.
All you Testers using a wheel like GT Wheel or Logitech G25/27 can easily adapt the same feelingi have on my wheel.

The big difference is in the brakes. I usethe CSR Elite Pedals, that have a pressure sensitive Loadcell. That means the brake pressure on the car is like in reality depending on how hard you brake on the pedal. This gives me much more sensitivity on the the pedal than the "normal" pedals who translate the brake pressure by the way you push the pedal down.

As you all know GT6 is much more accurate in braking. Like in reality it is not the same if you lower the braking pedal quickly or smoothly. Or if you push the pedal down quickly in comparison to brake slowly with increasing pressure.

That is what i am doing different than in GT5. I initially step on the brakes with not more than 50% pressure ( as you can see on your cockpit view) and then increase the pressure to 90 %. In my pedal configuration i can set a level above which my wheel gives me an ABS Feedback. I set it to this 90% which means my wheel gently vibrates when ever the in game brake pressure rises above 90%.
This gives me much more accuracy on the brakes and i am much quicker now than in the old GT5 days...

I wanted to mention this advantage because it is very easy to use these Fanatec Pedals with your logitech wheels and it could be a good investment

Greets from Germany,
Chipmonk77

@krenkme :dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce: i left another part on the car from the previous tune sorry your posted tune was completely correct I just missed it sorry :dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::banghead::banghead: I need more coffee or more sleep. :banghead:

No worries my friend. Between my fat fingers, my hunt and peck(er) style of typing, and my tired eyes most days, I make a lot of mistakes. I'll still double check to make sure it is as posted.

Now you get some rest. You testers work WAY too hard for us tuners, and for that we owe you :bowdown::dopey:

Mission accomplished on the corner exit. First car for me in GT6 that could handle like that. Will def be looking at the video, because I'm at a loss. I'm no spring chicken, and I tried every trick at my disposal.

It's a replay file, all you need to do is unzip it, copy the folder to a flash drive, create this directory : x:\PS3\SAVEDATA, put the replay folder under savedata folder. Insert the flash drive into the USB port of PS3, run GT6, under gallery, import the replay and watch ( if I remember correctly ) or maybe the replay can be copied from XMB :D Enjoy the replay 👍 It was done with ABS 1, stick controller.

Aim to hit the apex on turn 8 at 80kmh or more :) Brake from middle or outside while pointing the nose inward, stay close to the inside white line, then full on gas while turning to exit. Might need several tries, you can see how the brakes applied on the replay too, good luck :cheers:

I am using a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel and use it with 900 degree wheel axis.
I use the CSR Elite Pedals, that have a pressure sensitive Loadcell.

This gives me much more accuracy on the brakes and i am much quicker now than in the old GT5 days...

This is the same setup as me, and I am also faster now with these pedals than when I used a DFGT. 👍

Wow, this is exciting. First of all, thanks for The testing feedback so far. This is my first time attempting this and it's so good to be welcomed into such an active community, this is so much fun. The feedback is most certainly appreciated and I'm loving seeing the times the testers have been getting from my tune. It really does inspire me to improve.

I do appreciate the time put into both with organising the challenge and all involved helping to make it work. Loving it!

Okay, just looked at my tune and it is as posted. Make sure you leave a standard exhaust on it (Semi-racing got the 214hp setting) and the 97.2% limiter should be okay... Just 'cause I hate limiting POWER!!!! :dopey:

All of the Improved Touring Class has been updated. Transmission is currently on the bottom, should it be moved up where it belongs?
Doesn't necessarily matter. As long add it's there I can mess with it and put it into some kind of order.

Ideally I'll create some sort of standard template to use for these events and perhaps also a tuning garage. May even go so far as to add this to an idea I've been tossing around as far as an improvement to the site itself.

@Otaliema @Lionheart2113
Thanks for the feedback and for testing. I'm happy to read that your thoughts line up what with the tune I chose to post. I had several for that car. The one I posted didn't have the fastest lap but felt the most comfortable and consistent to me.
I never got around to thanking all the experienced FITT tuners for their sage advice they posted in this thread and elsewhere about the tuning process. I'd list you guys, but it was pretty much everyone that in one way or another helped me. Whether it be a tuning guide you've written, or just advice about how you approach tuning a car and knowing when it is finished. I'm really happy you all are reaching out to newcomers like me and I feel that the Spec Miata class was the absolute perfect approach that made me feel comfortable (not having to worry about transmissions, aerodynamics or significant part choices and fiddling with the power limiter for the most optimal setting) It really broke tuning down to the basic and essentials and that I appreciated that.
So thank you all. I'm excited to get my testing underway(been out of the loop for a few days). I will do my best, time willing, to test more than I signed up for simply because I really do appreciate everyones help and encouragement.

Back