FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

hello everyone,
results "SCCA Improved Touring Class"
thank you to all the tuners again fun !!! đź‘Ť

No aids, except ABS 1, DS3, manual

13041619993_58ffdd742c_b.jpg

and the video with SETUP OnBoy123 :

Thank you for testing, I like the attached video of the fastest lap, nice touch.
I've never really been able to figure out a good line through the first corner at Apricot Hill. I use a drift style entry, braking hard as you hit the first curb and sliding the car sideways on the brakes, when it works its great but it usually results in a crash lol

With having this update coming tonight, how should we go about it with testers? Should they be allowed to update to it? I don't know and it is just a thought that came to my head.
Another test session, another update:banghead: I wasn't part of the last challage but didn't the same thing happen?

@DaBomm4 as there is no guarantee that the update will alter the games physics, it's best not to worry about it.

Plus you can't enforce a rule against the testers updating their game. Then you would have no more testers. Remember they're providing a service, you can't ask them too much or they'll just not help you out in future.

Yes it did, and that is why I brought it up. But if I remember right, the other one happened the Tuesday of the start of testing. Everyone has been waiting for an update, FITT finally has a challenge happen again, and now the update comes. Kaz must watch for our challenges to start.

Yes it did, and that is why I brought it up. But if I remember right, the other one happened the Tuesday of the start of testing. Everyone has been waiting for an update, FITT finally has a challenge happen again, and now the update comes. Kaz must watch for our challenges to start.
I suppose it will still be a level playing field as IF there is a change it should effect all tunes. Edit: I believe Dabomm was replying to me.

@DaBomm4 as there is no guarantee that the update will alter the games physics, it's best not to worry about it.

Plus you can't enforce a rule against the testers updating their game. Then you would have no more testers. Remember they're providing a service, you can't ask them too much or they'll just not help you out in future.
I understand, and this is why I am asking out here, I was not sure how you guys deal with it.
Yes what did? I was saying the next update might not change the physics just because the last one did.
You tree'd me with this statement by a few seconds as I was replying to @Bowtie-muscle, that is why you are confused.

I understand, and this is why I am asking out here, I was not sure how you guys deal with it.

This was aimed at bowtie.

Oh sorry about that. Last time the update hit before the tuner deadline. This time it'll hit after the tuner deadline. So it really shouldn't affect the shootout a great deal - testers have the option of not finishing if there is a dramatic changes to tunes, or they also have the option of not updating, finishing their testing and then updating after. But we won't know what will happen until the update hits, whenever that might be - Monday, Tuesday or March 31st.

I thought the deadline was the Sunday before the Tuesday 0400 GMT update, which is Monday night for me.
And yes we know it will be 0400 GMT March 10th.

I thought the deadline was the Sunday before the Tuesday 0400 GMT update, which is Monday night for me.
And yes we know it will be 0400 GMT March 10th.

I can't remember when the update hit before - but I remember Praiano complaining about not being able to change his brakes because the update changed braking physics.

And the maintenance is confirmed for March 10th, as well as usual maintenace on the 11th as well, but the news message in GT6 says maintenance not update. I know people are hoping for the update then, but don't expect it, else you might face some disappointment.

I'm only assuming that it is an update of a sort because they could have just waited for Tuesday to come around to include the maintenance if that is all it actually is.

I'm only assuming that it is an update of a sort because they could have just waited for Tuesday to come around to include the maintenance if that is all it actually is.

It's extra maintenance - which I think would imply an update - but I'm predicting an update during Tuesday's maintenance because I think the maintenance tonight/tomorrow will be a stage-one of a two-stage maintenance which enables the Community features.

@backnfourth thank you for the testing and feedback, understeer is something I battle all the time with my tunes, just gotta get that under control.

The understeer really showed mostly in the high speed corners. Through the those quick low speed turns at the end it felt very balanced.

As far as the update goes, I would think as long as each tester does all the tunes on one version or the other that it should be fair. I have to test the roadsters and silverstone still and plan on not updating until after I finish that.

And that's all assuming that it is a major update that changes the physics. No one knows what the heck PD will change, if anything.

SCCA Improved Touring Miata Tuners

All cars painted Solid : Lime Lite.
All cars have the same sized wheels as the tune (+1 inch are required in this shootout), BBS RS, painted the same color as the car.

Settings:
All aids off, ABS 1
Grip: Real
Controller: DFGT
FFB: 7
Controller Sensitivity: Irrelevant!
Offline, Arcade Mode, Time Trial, Apricot Hill

Ridox2JZGTE MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS (NB, J) '98
I tried this car first, but after a couple of laps I gave up trying to learn this track with this car. I'll test it last.
-- later --
1:36.380, 3
My grandmother raised me to believe, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
Anything at all.

DolHaus MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '00
1:35.204, 7
Fun, but at the edge of slip the car is very... Umm, temperamental? Its easy to overpower the rear on exit, which I like, nothing wrong with a little throttle control, but in this case its hurting this cars times. This is not a car I would race against other cars online, I would prefer a more stable car at the limit for that.
Corner entry is hindered by the quick weight shifts, its very difficult to brake gently and subtly. Half of my laps were lost on corner entry as I tried to brake for the Euler epex*, only to slip into the grass. Trail braking is almost a must on this track with at least 3 Euler corners* that call for reducing your speed while in the corner, rather than before.
Mid corner is where this car excels. If I get the entry correct then mid corner rotation flows nicely into the corner exit without too much understeer push or oversteer over rotation.
Corner exit is fine as long as you don't like to get on the gas too quick, throttle control is a must. I'm not sure if the oversteer slip on corner exit is due to too much power, or not enough grip. The hyper weight shifts under braking only accentuate the slow body roll.

* A Euler corner is a reducing radius corner, it tightens later in the corner. If you go in at the edge of control for the first part of the corner you won't be able to make the tightening apex later in the corner, not without braking while in the corner.

krenkme MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '00
1:35.730, 6
Very stable. But not to the point where you can just throttle as you please.
On entry the car feels planted, all four wheels working as they should. BLOR is a problem only if I over do it. Late braking is only a problem if you don't brake before the corner. After a few laps I learned it wasn't reasonable to expect to enter a corner on the edge of slip and expect a smooth transition to mid corner.
At mid corner the car can accept a lot (and I mean A LOT) of of steering input. In fact it might be too much. On my first lap i was sawing so much at mid corner in order to find the optimum angle/rotation. On later laps I was either trying to get the rear slip to match the front slip or trying to keep the front under slip under the rear slip. A good feeling rotation isn't possible on long corners, and is only possible on tighter corners under BLOR. A more balanced slip would help this car a lot. I'm not sure it its too much front slip or not enough rear.
Corner exit, if I can get the car setup correctly, is the best part of a corner for this car. Its possible to over throttle, but its not a problem, its predictable.

DaBomm4 MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (NB, J) '04
1:33.961, 7
On my first lap I found the braking to be too heavy and without subtlety. On my second lap I was raging into corners, tapping the breaks (pre-entering about 3 feet) and throttling through the apex and out the exit.
And the car still has a nice balance through sweeping corners, as long as I don't look at the brakes. ...
By my 4th lap I was done having fun and tried a more balanced approach, braking early and throttling through the corner.
After 12 laps I found myself wishing for more subtle brakes. This tune could rock if I was able to use the brakes as more than a boolean switch. I'm either braking or I'm not, there's no range.
I never found a good rhythm, the disparity between throttling and being neutral was a huge difference in the cars attitude, braking throws the already large disparity into an extreme. If the weight is shifting forward or already is forward then the car is very stable and will under steer like a pig. If the weight is shifting back or already is back then the car wants to rotate, and just a bit more rotation than I like (but rotation is predictable and I can work with it).

jtqmopar MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (NB, J) '04
1:34.143, 7
Braking is subtle but lacks stopping power from high speed (there's just no pleasing me :) ).
... 6 laps later... OK, I know what it is now. Someone posted about FTS (first tune syndrome). The tune will be slower because you're still learning the track. In think this tune suffers from DSWS (driving style wack syndrome). This is when you go from one extreme (such as a car that's very stable under braking and unstable under throttle) to another extreme.
This car is very stable under throttle and will push out ever so slightly unless you use situational oversteer to counter it. Under braking this car will rotate on a dime.
I was never comfortable with this tune, I never found a good rhythm. Again I think that was due to the disparity of attitudes between front weight shifts and rear.

Onboy123 MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (NB, J) '04
1:33.512, 9
Ahhh, balance, subtly, grace. How about a few more adjectives: consistent, predictable, relaxing, power, controlled-drift. (Ok, that last one isn't one word, but I can't think of a single word that fits, so lemmealone.)
Braking is powerful but doesn't make the car too stable (understeer) or too loose (oversteer). BLOR can be a problem and takes a few laps to mediate. On later laps I found that I only braked for speed, not effect, throttle lift off gave me all the attitude adjustment I needed.
Corner entry is predictable and free of understeer unless I really @#$% up.
Mid corner is very good as long as I get the entry correct. I have to be careful at mid corner, the car at this point is only as good as the driver. The car will under or oversteer depending on the weight shift. Smooth inputs are a must.
Corner exit is a balancing act, mainly with the throttle, but steering is a large part still Steering isn't as sensitive as the throttle. Corner exit is a continuation of mid corner. Many other cars make it easy to distinguish between entry, mid and corner exit. This car is so dynamic its hard to tell where one part ends and another begins. The car also has enough non-LSD-limited power to drift out on exit. When I get a long sweeping corner right (and I know when I get it right, I can feel it {I become more relaxed} and my times improve) I'm usually under so much power and the car is so well balanced that both the front and rear tyres are all in a four wheel slight drift. Hella'fun.
My fastest lap (ten) I used a lot more drifting than I usually would. When shifting from one turning direction to the next the car would snap past the middle into a gentle weight catch on the other side. If you've ever done an egg toss, especially over 20 feet, then you have the idea.
I'm not sure I would like this tune for online racing, I like a more stable car when around other drivers. But for a TT tune its a car I'm comfortable getting comfortable with. :)
I limited myself to 12 laps, like all the other tunes I've done so far and will do, but I could spend hours trying to perfect my time in this car. It wouldn't be boring, it would be relaxing. Not quite a "mind control car," but only a few hairs widths away.

ACSR421 MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:34.019, 6
Stable under throttle, over agile under braking.
Corner entry is the most difficult part of a corner. BLOR is a real problem and where most of my difficulties come from. I have to brake my tendency to brake late into most corners. With this car I need to brake very early and get on the throttle long before I start turning in. This makes entering Euler corners hard to predict, and a driving line hard to discover. Should I brake before the corner, go slow through the first part of the corner under throttle then hope I haven't gained too much speed that I miss the tightening apex later in the corner. Or should I enter the corner under throttle, brake while in the long gentle turn, continue decreasing speed till I hit the entry to the apex and throttle through till the apex. I prefer the second option, I get the best times this way, but this car isn't stable enough under braking, more specifically brake lift off, to execute this.
Mid corner and corner exit are the same. Under throttle the car is very stable and predictable. It will accept a lot of steering input, even a tad of counter steer without losing time.
By the end of my 12 laps I was more frustrated than anything. My best lap was 5, I somehow got the car to rotate through the long-entry-tightening-apex (Euler) corners without spinning out or loosing too much time. "Too much time" being subjective, I felt like I was crawling through the entry of most corners. After lap 5 it felt like a crap shoot, "can I enter this corner with speed and rotate correctly?" 95% or the time the answer was: no. And with 3+ Euler corners on this track 95% x3 = SOL.

Bowtie-muscle MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:34.332, 7
Great stopping distance, slight problem with BLOR, but that's workable, even useful on the tightest corners.
Corner entry is stable but under braking understeer will push the car out.
Mid corner is fairly balanced, but unstable enough that half my laps are useless (but that's as much about pushing the limits as the cars instability).
Corner exit is smooth, with enough power left over to make throttle control necessary on slow and mid speed corners.
It felt fairly balanced but also felt like it didn't have as much grip as other cars. The brakes were extremely sensitive and I either buried my foot, or tried to only use 1%. At high speed there's not much room between the two.

Chipmonk77 MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:34.098, 7
Stable on entry, enough that trail braking into the Euler's is fairly easy and predictable. There's still a lot of agility left over if you need it, the car can still rotate quickly. BLOR was never a problem, I just had to be aware it would happen and it became a tool. On many cars this 'tool' is like a hammer hanging over your head, its a tool but its dangerous. With Chip77s tune this hammer stays in the tool box, but close at hand when needed.
Mid corner is my largest problem area. The rear end is just too loose at mid corner, especially in a chicane where the weight shifts from one direction to another. Going from straight into a curve isn't a problem, but if the weight is already on one side it takes a long time for it to move from that side to the middle and arc over. Its that egg toss analogy but this time after it leaves the first persons hand the egg goes into bullet time till it hits the top of its arc, then it goes back to normal to fall into the waiting guys hands. (I just had a weird image of Stephen Hawking as Neo dodging egg bullets. Now you have the image too.)
Corner exit goes back to the same attitude as corner entry: stability with agility. Its a hard combo to pair, most times you get one or the other. Praiano the only tuner I know who always seems able to find that balance. But to find it on even one car is an achievement. Unfortunately there's a contrivance going on. The 'stability+agility' is only achieved at the sacrifice of mid corner stability. If Chip77 could have found a way to make the mid corner retain the same attitude as entry and exit this would be a 9-10 car. Unfortunately the mid corner instability is like a stake through Dracula's heart. Sure he's powerful and bada$$, but with a wood stake through his heart...
I did try to make the mid corner I stability work for me, the first corner is a good example: I treated the long entry as the entry, the late apex as mid corner and exit as exit. With that configuration the car doesn't need braking, just lose speed as it understeer out with pre-entry, after enough speed is scrubbed the car would naturally arc in more, I'd apply slightly more throttle till the car became completely straight. Unfortunately it didn't work that way. The speed scrubbing worked well, but whenever I tried to go past the apex the cars instability made continuity almost impossible.
The transmission has strange shifting points. I got used to them but it felt I'll timed.

HTR Tuning MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:34.257, 6
I'm back to the egg toss analogy (try not to think about Stephen Hawking, too late!). This time the egg passes from 25-75% very quickly. From 0-24% and 76-100% the egg is slower.
On entry the car is fairly stable with just enough rotation to make hitting Euler corners a blast. The first corner on the first lap put a massive smile on my face.
Then I hit mid corner and things went downhill. After corner entry I'm fighting on the limit of grip on many corners. I either feel like the weight is moving too fast (0-24% + 76-100%) or too slow (25-75%). Balance is rarely achieved, just passed by with a glance (woosh, "what was that? Too late, I'll never know.")
Corner exit has a slow oversteer problem, I have to always be 5% under the throttle I want to give. If I give the car the throttle I want then it will slowly buildup on the outside rear tyre (at a point when most cars are 50 yards past where they gained stability/balance) and if I don't back off the throttle (losing me a lot of time) or counter steer (again losing time) the car will either continue to slowly rotate or burn out the outside tyre. This is KILLING the cars time. On long straights where I want to be powering out I'm puttering around waiting on the outside rear tyre, and waiting, and waiting... This isn't throttle control, this is throttle martial law.
The transmission is top of the line SOTA. Well done there. Shifting was instinctual. The only time I thought about shifting is to reflect on the fact that I never had to think about shifting. ;) (or maybe I had so much other stuff to worry about I didn't have time to think about shifting? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.)
While I like an unstable car over a too stable car, this one pushes that too far and adds in a dynamic attitude that's hard to predict. ¢¢

Lionheart2113 MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:33.917, 7
Great corner entry. Braking is sensitive and I can apply just as much as I want. Predictability and accuracy are very high. The car feels planted and responsive even when swaying in a chicane.
BLOR is a wonderful hammer stored just within reach. If I was a geek I'd refer to the BLOR of this car as Mjolnir, but no.
Mid corner is a continuation of entry. Stability and agility. Aim and throttle, simple as that.
Corner exit is a continuation of mid corner.
The transmission is very good, instinctive.
Power is lacking. Most of the stability feels like a lack of power, at least on corner exit. If this car was just a little bit less constrained, needed just a little bit more throttle control, this car would be a rocket. This car would be much worse without the agility. Lack of power with a lot of stability usually equals a tune I'll suited to my driving style. Somehow Lion has added agility/rotation to an underpowered stable car. Kudos.
As a side note I got blue times on lap 1, 2 and three, then didn't get any better times till laps 10, 11 and twelve. This is the only car I tried 13 laps on. 13 isn't lucky for this car, :).

NEWDRIVER123 MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:34.377, 8
One word I don't think I've ever used to describe a car is poise. But that's one of the first words that came to mind. Grace, power, and poise. Like a ballerina on steroids.
Corner entry is very good. Predictable and accurate. Braking distance is very short and stable.
Mid corner is a balancing act. There is more than enough power and rotation to send the car into a spin on most corners.
Corner exit is a continuation of mid corner. More than enough power to send the car into a spin. The car had very little push, but would continue to rotate under throttle.
Its just a feeling but I wish the car had more traction under throttle, it feels like its rotating just a smidge too much and would benefit from more push/front wheel grip.

shaunm80 MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:33.987, 8
This is the first car I had a problem meeting spec on. The weight is off. I added weight reduction stage 3 instead of stage 2, and window weight reduction, and changed the ballast from 19kg to 17kg.
Corner entry is stable with some (fairly mild and predictable) understeer. The rear is just agile enough to make rotation possible as long as I prepare for it.
Mid corner is a smooth transition from stability (entry) to agility. The car doesn't want to spin out, but it can it you push the car past its limit, which only happens when you want.
Corner exit is a beautiful blend of steering and throttle, agility and stability. But if I get mid corner correct corner exit feels underpowered.
After several laps I found the car could accept more slip through the first two parts of the corner, but the accuracy and predictably go down.
The transmission never uses 6th gear and I can't help but think that hurts the cars time.
BLOR is nonexistent.

ugabugaz MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (NB, J) '04
1:33.831, 8
Corner entry is accurate and predictable, stable with little understeer. Trailbraking has the most control of all the cars I've tested.
Mid corner transitions well from entry. BLOR is rarely a problem and can be useful, but its easy to over rotate under BLOR. Mid corner understeer is my biggest problem and ruins most of my laps. Its hard to find a balance between throttling enough for speed and pushing out, and keeping the understeer under control.
If I don't push out too much on mid corner corner exit is good. There's still enough power to oversteer on exit, but the understeer from mid corner transforms into a stable balance.

It's extra maintenance - which I think would imply an update - but I'm predicting an update during Tuesday's maintenance because I think the maintenance tonight/tomorrow will be a stage-one of a two-stage maintenance which enables the Community features.
That could be plausible, and yeah, the community features would then cause no change, I was just wondering how the community wanted to handle this for this challenge. I know that if there were physics changes that affect us, @DigitalBaka would probably have to retest some cars because of it. But like we have been saying, we don't know what it is and what will change, so I guess my point is that it is now out there.

That could be plausible, and yeah, the community features would then cause no change, I was just wondering how the community wanted to handle this for this challenge. I know that if there were physics changes that affect us, @DigitalBaka would probably have to retest some cars because of it. But like we have been saying, we don't know what it is and what will change, so I guess my point is that it is now out there.

At the end of the day we don't know what the update will contain/fix/break/change whatever - and only when the time comes can Motor City Hami make the decision on what to do about it (he's the shootout organiser) based on the changelog that GTP usually helps to produce because PD don't often go into much detail on their own website about what they've altered.

On my first lap I found the braking to be too heavy and without subtlety. On my second lap I was raging into corners, tapping the breaks (pre-entering about 3 feet) and throttling through the apex and out the exit.
And the car still has a nice balance through sweeping corners, as long as I don't look at the brakes. ...
By my 4th lap I was done having fun and tried a more balanced approach, braking early and throttling through the corner.
After 12 laps I found myself wishing for more subtle brakes. This tune could rock if I was able to use the brakes as more than a boolean switch. I'm either braking or I'm not, there's no range.
I never found a good rhythm, the disparity between throttling and being neutral was a huge difference in the cars attitude, braking throws the already large disparity into an extreme. If the weight is shifting forward or already is forward then the car is very stable and will under steer like a pig. If the weight is shifting back or already is back then the car wants to rotate, and just a bit more rotation than I like (but rotation is predictable and I can work with it).
Would the braking be more LSD issue or the fact that I tuned with Racing Brakes but forgot to include them in my post? Thanks for the feedback.đź‘Ť

All cars have the same sized wheels as the tune (+1 inch are required in this shootout), BBS RS, painted the same color as the car.

Settings:
All aids off, ABS 1

I tried this car first, but after a couple of laps I gave up trying to learn this track with this car. I'll test it last.
-- later --
My grandmother raised me to believe, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
Anything at all.

Fun, but at the edge of slip the car is very... Umm, temperamental? Its easy to overpower the rear on exit, which I like, nothing wrong with a little throttle control, but in this case its hurting this cars times. This is not a car I would race against other cars online, I would prefer a more stable car at the limit for that.
Corner entry is hindered by the quick weight shifts, its very difficult to brake gently and subtly. Half of my laps were lost on corner entry as I tried to brake for the Euler epex*, only to slip into the grass. Trail braking is almost a must on this track with at least 3 Euler corners* that call for reducing your speed while in the corner, rather than before.
Mid corner is where this car excels. If I get the entry correct then mid corner rotation flows nicely into the corner exit without too much understeer push or oversteer over rotation.
Corner exit is fine as long as you don't like to get on the gas too quick, throttle control is a must. I'm not sure if the oversteer slip on corner exit is due to too much power, or not enough grip. The hyper weight shifts under braking only accentuate the slow body roll.

* A Euler corner is a reducing radius corner, it tightens later in the corner. If you go in at the edge of control for the first part of the corner you won't be able to make the tightening apex later in the corner, not without braking while in the corner.

On entry the car feels planted, all four wheels working as they should. BLOR is a problem only if I over do it. Late braking is only a problem if you don't brake before the corner. After a few laps I learned it wasn't reasonable to expect to enter a corner on the edge of slip and expect a smooth transition to mid corner.
At mid corner the car can accept a lot (and I mean A LOT) of of steering input. In fact it might be too much. On my first lap i was sawing so much at mid corner in order to find the optimum angle/rotation. On later laps I was either trying to get the rear slip to match the front slip or trying to keep the front under slip under the rear slip. A good feeling rotation isn't possible on long corners, and is only possible on tighter corners under BLOR. A more balanced slip would help this car a lot. I'm not sure it its too much front slip or not enough rear.
Corner exit, if I can get the car setup correctly, is the best part of a corner for this car. Its possible to over throttle, but its not a problem, its predictable.

Braking is subtle but lacks stopping power from high speed (there's just no pleasing me :) ).
... 6 laps later... OK, I know what it is now. Someone posted about FTS (first tune syndrome). The tune will be slower because you're still learning the track. In think this tune suffers from DSWS (driving style wack syndrome). This is when you go from one extreme (such as a car that's very stable under braking and unstable under throttle) to another extreme.
This car is very stable under throttle and will push out ever so slightly unless you use situational oversteer to counter it. Under braking this car will rotate on a dime.
I was never comfortable with this tune, I never found a good rhythm. Again I think that was due to the disparity of attitudes between front weight shifts and rear.

Ahhh, balance, subtly, grace. How about a few more adjectives: consistent, predictable, relaxing, power, controlled-drift. (Ok, that last one isn't one word, but I can't think of a single word that fits, so lemmealone.)
Braking is powerful but doesn't make the car too stable (understeer) or too loose (oversteer). BLOR can be a problem and takes a few laps to mediate. On later laps I found that I only braked for speed, not effect, throttle lift off gave me all the attitude adjustment I needed.
Mid corner is very good as long as I get the entry correct. I have to be careful at mid corner, the car at this point is only as good as the driver. The car will under or oversteer depending on the weight shift. Smooth inputs are a must.
Corner exit is a balancing act, mainly with the throttle, but steering is a large part still Steering isn't as sensitive as the throttle. Corner exit is a continuation of mid corner. Many other cars make it easy to distinguish between entry, mid and corner exit. This car is so dynamic its hard to tell where one part ends and another begins. The car also has enough non-LSD-limited power to drift out on exit. When I get a long sweeping corner right (and I know when I get it right, I can feel it {I become more relaxed} and my times improve) I'm usually under so much power and the car is so well balanced that both the front and rear tyres are all in a four wheel slight drift. Hella'fun.
My fastest lap (ten) I used a lot more drifting than I usually would. When shifting from one turning direction to the next the car would snap past the middle into a gentle weight catch on the other side. If you've ever done an egg toss, especially over 20 feet, then you have the idea.
I'm not sure I would like this tune for online racing, I like a more stable car when around other drivers. But for a TT tune its a car I'm comfortable getting comfortable with. :)
I limited myself to 12 laps, like all the other tunes I've done so far and will do, but I could spend hours trying to perfect my time in this car. It wouldn't be boring, it would be relaxing. Not quite a "mind control car," but only a few hairs widths away.

Corner entry is the most difficult part of a corner. BLOR is a real problem and where most of my difficulties come from. I have to brake my tendency to brake late into most corners. With this car I need to brake very early and get on the throttle long before I start turning in. This makes entering Euler corners hard to predict, and a driving line hard to discover. Should I brake before the corner, go slow through the first part of the corner under throttle then hope I haven't gained too much speed that I miss the tightening apex later in the corner. Or should I enter the corner under throttle, brake while in the long gentle turn, continue decreasing speed till I hit the entry to the apex and throttle through till the apex. I prefer the second option, I get the best times this way, but this car isn't stable enough under braking, more specifically brake lift off, to execute this.
Mid corner and corner exit are the same. Under throttle the car is very stable and predictable. It will accept a lot of steering input, even a tad of counter steer without losing time.
By the end of my 12 laps I was more frustrated than anything. My best lap was 5, I somehow got the car to rotate through the long-entry-tightening-apex (Euler) corners without spinning out or loosing too much time. "Too much time" being subjective, I felt like I was crawling through the entry of most corners. After lap 5 it felt like a crap shoot, "can I enter this corner with speed and rotate correctly?" 95% or the time the answer was: no. And with 3+ Euler corners on this track 95% x3 = SOL.

Great stopping distance, slight problem with BLOR, but that's workable, even useful on the tightest corners.
Mid corner is fairly balanced, but unstable enough that half my laps are useless (but that's as much about pushing the limits as the cars instability).
Corner exit is smooth, with enough power left over to make throttle control necessary on slow and mid speed corners.
It felt fairly balanced but also felt like it didn't have as much grip as other cars. The brakes were extremely sensitive and I either buried my foot, or tried to only use 1%. At high speed there's not much room between the two.

Stable on entry, enough that trail braking into the Euler's is fairly easy and predictable. There's still a lot of agility left over if you need it, the car can still rotate quickly. BLOR was never a problem, I just had to be aware it would happen and it became a tool. On many cars this 'tool' is like a hammer hanging over your head, its a tool but its dangerous. With Chip77s tune this hammer stays in the tool box, but close at hand when needed.
Mid corner is my largest problem area. The rear end is just too loose at mid corner, especially in a chicane where the weight shifts from one direction to another. Going from straight into a curve isn't a problem, but if the weight is already on one side it takes a long time for it to move from that side to the middle and arc over. Its that egg toss analogy but this time after it leaves the first persons hand the egg goes into bullet time till it hits the top of its arc, then it goes back to normal to fall into the waiting guys hands. (I just had a weird image of Stephen Hawking as Neo dodging egg bullets. Now you have the image too.)
Corner exit goes back to the same attitude as corner entry: stability with agility. Its a hard combo to pair, most times you get one or the other. Praiano the only tuner I know who always seems able to find that balance. But to find it on even one car is an achievement. Unfortunately there's a contrivance going on. The 'stability+agility' is only achieved at the sacrifice of mid corner stability. If Chip77 could have found a way to make the mid corner retain the same attitude as entry and exit this would be a 9-10 car. Unfortunately the mid corner instability is like a stake through Dracula's heart. Sure he's powerful and bada$$, but with a wood stake through his heart...
I did try to make the mid corner I stability work for me, the first corner is a good example: I treated the long entry as the entry, the late apex as mid corner and exit as exit. With that configuration the car doesn't need braking, just lose speed as it understeer out with pre-entry, after enough speed is scrubbed the car would naturally arc in more, I'd apply slightly more throttle till the car became completely straight. Unfortunately it didn't work that way. The speed scrubbing worked well, but whenever I tried to go past the apex the cars instability made continuity almost impossible.
The transmission has strange shifting points. I got used to them but it felt I'll timed.

I'm back to the egg toss analogy (try not to think about Stephen Hawking, too late!). This time the egg passes from 25-75% very quickly. From 0-24% and 76-100% the egg is slower.
On entry the car is fairly stable with just enough rotation to make hitting Euler corners a blast. The first corner on the first lap put a massive smile on my face.
Then I hit mid corner and things went downhill. After corner entry I'm fighting on the limit of grip on many corners. I either feel like the weight is moving too fast (0-24% + 76-100%) or too slow (25-75%). Balance is rarely achieved, just passed by with a glance (woosh, "what was that? Too late, I'll never know.")
Corner exit has a slow oversteer problem, I have to always be 5% under the throttle I want to give. If I give the car the throttle I want then it will slowly buildup on the outside rear tyre (at a point when most cars are 50 yards past where they gained stability/balance) and if I don't back off the throttle (losing me a lot of time) or counter steer (again losing time) the car will either continue to slowly rotate or burn out the outside tyre. This is KILLING the cars time. On long straights where I want to be powering out I'm puttering around waiting on the outside rear tyre, and waiting, and waiting... This isn't throttle control, this is throttle martial law.
The transmission is top of the line SOTA. Well done there. Shifting was instinctual. The only time I thought about shifting is to reflect on the fact that I never had to think about shifting. ;) (or maybe I had so much other stuff to worry about I didn't have time to think about shifting? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.)
While I like an unstable car over a too stable car, this one pushes that too far and adds in a dynamic attitude that's hard to predict. ¢¢

Great corner entry. Braking is sensitive and I can apply just as much as I want. Predictability and accuracy are very high. The car feels planted and responsive even when swaying in a chicane.
BLOR is a wonderful hammer stored just within reach. If I was a geek I'd refer to the BLOR of this car as Mjolnir, but no.
Mid corner is a continuation of entry. Stability and agility. Aim and throttle, simple as that.
Power is lacking. Most of the stability feels like a lack of power, at least on corner exit. If this car was just a little bit less constrained, needed just a little bit more throttle control, this car would be a rocket. This car would be much worse without the agility. Lack of power with a lot of stability usually equals a tune I'll suited to my driving style. Somehow Lion has added agility/rotation to an underpowered stable car. Kudos.
As a side note I got blue times on lap 1, 2 and three, then didn't get any better times till laps 10, 11 and twelve. This is the only car I tried 13 laps on. 13 isn't lucky for this car, :).

One word I don't think I've ever used to describe a car is poise. But that's one of the first words that came to mind. Grace, power, and poise. Like a ballerina on steroids.
Corner entry is very good. Predictable and accurate. Braking distance is very short and stable.
Mid corner is a balancing act. There is more than enough power and rotation to send the car into a spin on most corners.
Corner exit is a continuation of mid corner. More than enough power to send the car into a spin. The car had very little push, but would continue to rotate under throttle.
Its just a feeling but I wish the car had more traction under throttle, it feels like its rotating just a smidge too much and would benefit from more push/front wheel grip.

This is the first car I had a problem meeting spec on. The weight is off. I added weight reduction stage 3 instead of stage 2, and window weight reduction, and changed the ballast from 19kg to 17kg.
Corner entry is stable with some (fairly mild and predictable) understeer. The rear is just agile enough to make rotation possible as long as I prepare for it.
Mid corner is a smooth transition from stability (entry) to agility. The car doesn't want to spin out, but it can it you push the car past its limit, which only happens when you want.
Corner exit is a beautiful blend of steering and throttle, agility and stability. But if I get mid corner correct corner exit feels underpowered.
After several laps I found the car could accept more slip through the first two parts of the corner, but the accuracy and predictably go down.
The transmission never uses 6th gear and I can't help but think that hurts the cars time.
BLOR is nonexistent.

Corner entry is accurate and predictable, stable with little understeer. Trailbraking has the most control of all the cars I've tested.
Mid corner transitions well from entry. BLOR is rarely a problem and can be useful, but its easy to over rotate under BLOR. Mid corner understeer is my biggest problem and ruins most of my laps. Its hard to find a balance between throttling enough for speed and pushing out, and keeping the understeer under control.
If I don't push out too much on mid corner corner exit is good. There's still enough power to oversteer on exit, but the understeer from mid corner transforms into a stable balance.
Another detailed tester review, very nice Ronald, and thank you! I think Hami will like your color choice.:cheers:

Settings:
All aids off, ABS 1

-- later --
Anything at all.

BLOR is nonexistent.

Great review, very informative. Thank you

@DaBomm4 : I don't think it was the brakes themselves, but the weight transfer due to braking. Tap the brakes and the weight is instantly forward. Stronger brakes would only make that worse. LSD work might help but you'd have to ask Hami about that.

@DolHaus and @Lionheart2113 : no problem. Most of these cars were enjoyable and only accentuated the high points of each others cars.

Ok, thanks @Ronald6, I am still very new at tuning and how to understand what the car is saying. These Miata's are helping a lot though, and this one is very fun to drive to me.

Street Touring Roadster Testing Results – Mazda Roaster RS (NC) '07

Track: Matterhorn Rotenboden
Driving Setup: DS3 (sticks), automatic transmission,
Controller Sensitivity: 0
All aids off except ABS: 1

Each car was initially given 8 clean laps. I thought I had adjusted to the track before testing and was comfortable with how to approach it, but after testing all the tunes there was a noticeable decrease in lap times as I drove the track more. I went back and gave every tune 5 more clean laps and there was an improvement on pretty much every tune and a very noticeable improvement on the first few tunes as far as lap time. So every car got 13 laps. This is my first time testing so I'm still learning.

***Special note: I drove automatic and with a handful of the tunes this had a significant effect on 1st sector times because I was not in the correct gear for the uphill. I don't fault the tuner and it didn't effect the DC score I gave. I pointed this out specifically with 2 of the tunes because It was an issue that occurred nearly every lap and led to lower lap times overall.

Comments that apply to all the tunes: I was really impressed with the stability and control on such a demanding track. I felt comfortable pushing all the cars and was really impressed with the control I had getting airborne and then landing for the blind left that led to the hard downhill braking part. Especially with my second round of testing the number or red laps, flips, and spinouts was very low. Really a great group of tunes all around.

@ACSR421
Fastest Lap:1:43.470
DC:9
Comments: Great tune. I always felt comfortable and in control of the car. Handled the edges of the track very well. Mostly manageable oversteer.

@DolHaus
Fastest Lap:1:44.513
DC:7.5
Comments:Excellent brake setup as far as stability. Good transmission set up, got up to speed quickly but max speeds felt slow. Oversteer exiting corners and less stable on the edges of the track.

@donpost
Fastest Lap:1:43.863
DC:8.5
Comments: Very comfortable feeling slight understeer. Mostly stable on the edges of the track. Good rotation when braking. Felt transmission was holding this tune back.

@JackWilson
Fastest Lap:1:43.089
DC:8
Comments:Rotated very nicely through corners. Transmission fits tune very well. A little rigid on the edges of the track. I would lose the rear end on uneven parts of track. Felt forgiving and hard to argue the lap time.

@jtqmopar
Fastest Lap:1:45.865
Comments:Stable, easy to handle and control. Solid on the edges of the track. Felt slow through turns because of understeer throughout turn. (had the issue of driving automatic and losing time because I wasn't in the gear I should have been in on the first uphill)

@NEWDRIVER2
Fastest Lap:1:44.438
Comments:Easy to rotate and could maintain control even though I felt I had less grip at times. Felt good speed throughout track but didn't show up in lap time. Stable most of the time but thrown off on some uneven sections of track and exiting corner.

@Otaliema
Fastest Lap:1:43.865
DC:8
Comments:Good stability throughout. Very quick through the low speed corner section. Transmission fit tune well. Felt understeery on turn in and mid corner mostly at higher speeds.

@Onboy123
Fastest Lap:1:43.517
Comments:Great tune. Good rotation and controllable oversteer. Solid braking set up. Forgiving when I missed brake points and apex.

@praiano63
Fastest Lap:1:44.150
Comments:Incredibly stable back end. Easy to get on the gas quick out of turns. Transmission was spot on and led to high speeds. Back end rotated well but turning radius felt wide because of understeer.

@Ronald6
Fastest Lap:1:43.623
Comments:Great tune. One word... “neutral”. Balance and stability felt spot for both front and back end. Became unstable if not braking in a straight line and felt like I was sliding when in a straight line (red hot front tires on the downhill).

@ugabugaz
Fastest Lap:1:44.800
Comments:My first thought, 'uh oh flat floors'. What a pleasant surprise! On this track, with this tune the pros and cons nearly cancel each other out. Awesome brake distance, could brake really late on steep downhill. Could stay full throttle and in control for sections that required lift off with other tunes. A bit of understeer entering and mid corner.

@xande1959
Fastest Lap:1:46.032
Comments:Excellent grip to track and stable. Again, could stay full throttle and in control for some sections that required lift off on other tunes. Would slide on me and over rotate on the tight corners. Felt flat floor held this tune back. (had the issue of driving automatic and losing time because I wasn't in the gear I should have been in on the first uphill)

@Motor City Hami
Fastest Lap:1:43.867
Comments:Solid tune. Stable and balanced. Slight understeer entering corner but great rotation mid and exiting corner. 6th gear could be a smidge longer, reached point where it stops accelerating a couple times.

@PKS 80
Fastest Lap:1:44.762
DC:7
Comments:Good stability overall and on the edges of the track. Felt quick but didn't translate to lap times. Oversteer and having to countersteer slowed me down at times. 6th gear needs to be longer, reached the point where it stops accelerating every lap.
Thanks for driving me, know that I was wrong in tuned to, I lost about 27 hp with the placement of (flat floors) but it was already posted on the FITT. beautiful work.:cheers:

@DaBomm4 : The Improved Touring Class is a good example of a wide range of tuning/driving styles. Take them for a spin, make notes, compare those notes to the tunes/settings/numbers. This should give you a good idea of how different settings work together.

After a few cars you can begin to anticipate what the settings are based on the how the car handles. Then focus on what you got wrong. If you anticipated strong spring settings but instead the tune had strong dampers, why did you get it wrong?

You can't tune till you know how to drive. Knowledge is power. The larger your vocabulary the better your tunes will be.

Regarding the coming game update. Let's wait and see. Through all of GT5 and GT6 so far, every game update was met with wild speculation from the community about ghost or secret physics updates from PD. Every single update! So this one will be no different. Frankly, I do not buy that there were any changes to physics during the Muscle Car challenge. At least I saw no testing that proved any differences. My own testing with my entered car showed that I could run the exact same lap times pre and post update. So this one will be the same. The community will "feel" something different, but noone will post concrete results.

I will need some pretty sound test results to compare in order to make any changes to the competition or before I allow any re-tuning. I guess my best advice for now is that testers should try to avoid splitting a class down the middle with some testing before and some after the update. Do all of your testing for one class either before or after the update. Since we are working with average lap times, if a driver tests all cars under the same conditions, things should balance out.

Back