FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

Good news for tuners - the copy settings sheet feature has returned! No more writing down settings and inevitably losing the piece of paper with your original setup. No more having to laboriously copy your custom transmission settings every time you want to try an alternative tuning approach to your suspension

I believe that all test driver results are now entered into the official scoring sheet. Test drivers, please double check that I did not miss you. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...allenge-one-week-to-test.303511/#post-9366693

Here are the current leaders as of this point in time. All test results are due by this Sunday at Midnight. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...allenge-one-week-to-test.303511/#post-9366694

SCCA Spec Miata Leaders:
Lap Time:
@Bowtie-muscle
@HTR Tuning
@backnfourth

Driver's Choice:
@backnfourth
@Bowtie-muscle
@JackWilson

SCCA Improved Touring Leaders:
Lap Time:
@Onboy123
@DaBomm4
@Lionheart2113

Driver's Choice:
@Onboy123
@DaBomm4
@Bowtie-muscle, @NEWDRIVER2 & @Lionheart2113

Street Touring Leaders:
Lap Time:
@Motor City Hami
@Onboy123
@JackWilson

Driver's Choice:
@Motor City Hami
@ACSR421
@Onboy123

Touring Car Leaders:
Lap Time:
@praiano63
@iainoflo85
@kapnk006

Driver's Choice:
@praiano63
@Motor City Hami
@iainoflo85

Last edited:
@Onboy123 iirc it was the high and low speed corners that it had the understeer issues the mid speed where stable. The breaking was only when I had to come way down or just tap the brakes to load the front tires to turn.

Ah, I see then. 👍 The braking matches with what everyone's been saying, and the understeer issue is something I had during tuning as well. It'd understeer if I braked at the wrong time or stood on the brakes too long/accelerated too early, or something like that.

Ah, I see then. 👍 The braking matches with what everyone's been saying, and the understeer issue is something I had during tuning as well. It'd understeer if I braked at the wrong time or stood on the brakes too long/accelerated too early, or something like that.
Sounds like your LSD deceleration is set too high

I believe that all test driver results are now entered into the official scoring sheet. Test drivers, please double check that I did not miss you. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...allenge-one-week-to-test.303511/#post-9366693

Here are the current leaders as of this point in time. All test results are due by this Sunday at Midnight. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...allenge-one-week-to-test.303511/#post-9366694

SCCA Spec Miata Leaders:
Lap Time:
@Bowtie-muscle
@HTR Tuning
@backnfourth

Driver's Choice:
@backnfourth
@Bowtie-muscle
@JackWilson

SCCA Improved Touring Leaders:
Lap Time:
@Onboy123
@DaBomm4
@Lionheart2113

Driver's Choice:
@Onboy123
@DaBomm4
@Bowtie-muscle

Street Touring Leaders:
Lap Time:
@Motor City Hami
@Onboy123
@JackWilson

Driver's Choice:
@Motor City Hami
@ACSR421
@Onboy123

Touring Car Leaders:
Lap Time:
@praiano63
@iainoflo85
@kapnk006

Driver's Choice:
@praiano63
@Motor City Hami
@iainoflo85

3 way tie for third in the DC of the improved category with 3 testers to post...going to be close!:scared:

Looks like you need to add my last two Spec Miata times for Doz and Ridox:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...the-testing-begin.303511/page-20#post-9422980

I will start on the Touring Car @ Silverstone after I update tonight. Just FYI.

SCCA Spec Miata Tuners

DozUK
Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (NA,J) ‘97
Stock: 1:28.227

Tune: 1:27.513 Drivers Choice: 7.0
I was apprehensive when I saw the Stage 2 Turbo installed. A low power car, automatic transmission, (my fault not yours) that couldn’t be adjusted, tight turns, and hills. The delay coming out of the corners killed my time, because I couldn’t keep the RPM’s up enough. But the tune itself was comfortable and stable. Can’t wait to see how the manual’s handle it.
Erf? Did I read the wrong tune or did you? I don't remember putting a turbo on anything... :odd:

Yes, that's how I tuned in GT5, but from the few cars (very few) I've tampered with in GT6, the decel is higher for some reason...I'm sure the artists would be able to tell us.:dopey:
Its a little higher but not dramatically so, the same process still applies for finding the correct settings. I find the first corner at Daytona RC is a really good place to tune it, hard braking from high speed whilst turning, start at around 8 and keep increasing it by 2 until it starts straight lining then knock it back a few.

Looks like you need to add my last two Spec Miata times for Doz and Ridox:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...the-testing-begin.303511/page-20#post-9422980

I will start on the Touring Car @ Silverstone after I update tonight. Just FYI.

Erf? Did I read the wrong tune or did you? I don't remember putting a turbo on anything... :odd:

You're right, Digital there is no turbo, it was using the stock transmission settings that killed me in the turns.:dunce:
Glad I kept my notes, a shame I can't read them correctly the first time. Sorry Doz.

Its a little higher but not dramatically so, the same process still applies for finding the correct settings. I find the first corner at Daytona RC is a really good place to tune it, hard braking from high speed whilst turning, start at around 8 and keep increasing it by 2 until it starts straight lining then knock it back a few.
I use Grand Valley East Reverse. Much shorter course. ;) The second turn is less dramatic than DRC but still works well as the run off between corners is a bit of curb, grass and sand instead of tarmac. I find that to be a better motivator to get it right.

My two cents (or maybe one in this case :P) would be either the extension too high or brake balance too even?

Just wanted to say thanks to all the testers for their feedback, which I have copied to a word document with my settings for reference. Several people were saying my ride was a bit blobby - when I submitted it I knew that my spring rates were considerably less than everyone else's! I think my eyes crave the body pitch and roll as feedback on the amount of force I'm generating - but there obviously comes a time where the car is too mushy and slow to respond.

I bit the bullet and upped all springs by 20% - still quite soft - but now the quick weaves after the fishbowl feel a lot more controllable and therefore my braking for the following sharp left hander has improved. Before, that section of the track always felt like a rollercoaster just as you go over the top of a hump.:ill:

I've not touched the ARBs so I've probably affected the balance a little, but if it has changed it's certainly not for the worse, a little looser perhaps.

I'm also loving the 1.05 return of the settings slot copy button - I was moving those settings bars back and forth during initial tuning like I was tuning a bloody radio, and probably wiped out a small rainforest making paper notes...

Cheers,

Bread

Just wanted to say thanks to all the testers for their feedback, which I have copied to a word document with my settings for reference. Several people were saying my ride was a bit blobby - when I submitted it I knew that my spring rates were considerably less than everyone else's! I think my eyes crave the body pitch and roll as feedback on the amount of force I'm generating - but there obviously comes a time where the car is too mushy and slow to respond.

I bit the bullet and upped all springs by 20% - still quite soft - but now the quick weaves after the fishbowl feel a lot more controllable and therefore my braking for the following sharp left hander has improved. Before, that section of the track always felt like a rollercoaster just as you go over the top of a hump.:ill:

I've not touched the ARBs so I've probably affected the balance a little, but if it has changed it's certainly not for the worse, a little looser perhaps.

You are welcome for my part! 👍 I am quite glad to see 1) a new "face" and 2) that you went back and experimented based on feedback. That is exactly the kind of thing we wanted when FITT was first created.

Note: that credit does not go to me, I just manage the thread. Credit/blame goes to @XDesperado67 @Onboy123 and several others (I'm sure there's a list somewhere) for starting to organize things. The "powers that be" have changed some but the core ideas remain.

I was moving those settings bars back and forth during initial tuning like I was tuning a bloody radio, and probably wiped out a small rainforest making paper notes...
:lol::lol::lol:

:cheers:

Updated.

That and the Street Touring average lap times of the top three are within 0.132. With three testers to go. That podium could go in any direction.

Those average lap times are certainly going to take a battering by the time i'm finished. Don't think i've ever tested an event where the number of red laps far outweigh clean ones!! Also starting to get triangle thumb!

Those average lap times are certainly going to take a battering by the time i'm finished. Don't think i've ever tested an event where the number of red laps far outweigh clean ones!! Also starting to get triangle thumb!

Triangle? That's my reverse!:lol: What do you use it for?

^ Great excuse to use on the S.O. to get a wheel! :sly:

I find upping the drama works well. "But...my thumb will fall off if I don't get one!"

Or maybe my wife just finds me cute and irresistible. ....hmm, maybe not. :dunce:

Crap, I had forgotten about this. :banghead: :dunce:

Guess I'll start testing right away!

@ridox
After a morning (well, morning for me at least) of fantastic, mind blowing racing @ the Ring with NewDriver2, Danbojte, ACSR421, and a few others (unfortunately not Praiano, he had connection problems) I took a deep breath, tried to clear my mind and reran your car.

My best time in this session was 1:35.408.

First) I apologize, my previous criticism of your car was due as much to my state of mind as your tune.

Second) after several more laps I figured out what disturbs me about your tune. Most tunes rotate "in the middle." Somewhere between letting off the throttle and applying the brake. Your car is the opposite. This is most apparent in the tightest corner on the track: I enter from high speed, try to use BLOR to rotate the car and accelerate just after the 1/3 mark. In the BLOR rotation the front will dive in, shift out, then back in, unless I get it just right. Its more obvious on this corner, but the same thing is happening on every corner, just more subtly.
I had the image of (american style) football players doing the exercise where they run in place with their arms in tight, then drop spread eagle, then jump up to run in place again.
This bend-straight-bend nature makes it hard to judge entry. Once I'm in a corner there's no adjusting, if I lift off the throttle once I apply it in a corner the car spreads its arms and drops into massive stable position. Instead of rotating on slight brake lift off the car understeers, and will continue to understeer until long after I apply the gas again.

Third) if I get it just right I can use this bend-straight-bend on the Euler corners. But once I enter a corner my line is static, nothing I do once I enter the corner will benefit from correction. Any correction will only worsen the line. This is a good thing if a tester could learn the car, but it would take many, many, many laps to unlearn my learned style and adjust.
On a "normal" corner the cars tendency to push out in the middle of the corner makes it near impossible to get every corner correct.
Every corner must be perfect from entry or the hot lap is lost.

Fourth) I'm holding to my original DC score. I'm more comfortable with a stock car than yours.

I hope this helps,
Ron

Back