• 71 comments

Gturbo5

(Banned)
Poland
Poland
Gturbo5
Thread about Flat Floors here.
52a3797c3ca0a-Cape_Ring_South_2.jpg

Custom parts - Flat Floors add PP about +20PP (More aeroydomics only rear) why no give front aero?

I tested a car Toyota 86 GT "Racing" with or without Flat Floors:

With - 450pp (Downforce Rear is 5/50 +with spoiler) [5/50 or 50/50 is same PP].
Without: 430pp (Downforce with only spoiler is 5/20)

Time trial Track: CAPE RING SOUTH

450pp Time lap - 1.29.500
430pp Time lap - 1.27.900

What bad flat floors too high PP and slowly? :/

Flat floors on the underside of cars creates downforce due to the way airflow creates lower pressure under the car. There is a specific principle of physics/aerodynamics at work, but I can't off the top of my head remember which (I'm sure you can google it). The entire underside of the car is designed to be as flat as possible.

preparing%20the%20floor.JPG

So do that flat floors in GT6 actually do anything? I can understand how its suppose to work in real life. Just wondering if its actually worth it in the game

Haha, wondered why my 86 Racing was so slow compared to a few other cars, it did feel locked down though. But either way 20 pp is way too much especially considering downforce, in general, is not accounted for in pp.

Flat floors on the underside of cars creates downforce due to the way airflow creates lower pressure under the car. There is a specific principle of physics/aerodynamics at work, but I can't off the top of my head remember which (I'm sure you can google it). The entire underside of the car is designed to be as flat as possible.
Bernoulli's principle.

at the moment the game doesn't state when buying it that it will raise the PP, I didn't find that out when I bought it and tried the same race again when I noticed my PP went up and couldn't enter the race, so PD will have to patch that. but yes the flat floor as gt6 calls it is a underbody diffuser, its supposed to add downforce to the car so I figure cars with it in the game will stick to the ground and corner better.

Haha, wondered why my 86 Racing was so slow compared to a few other cars, it did feel locked down though. But either way 20 pp is way too much especially considering downforce, in general, is not accounted for in pp.

Adding wings is not accounted for and that makes sense. I imagine adding a "flat floor" adds something to the car.

Well I have no comparison to the original set up but I added the flat floor to my 86GT (not the racing) and all it wants to do on basic settings is drift everywhere!! Absolutely no grip what so ever!

Top speed is also lower. I have a Nissan GT-R black edition with 1137 hp. With a flat floor it goes up to 420km/h without nitro, without flat floor it goes all up to 457km/h

Cars seem to lose a considerable bit of top end acceleration with the flat floor installed. Just wondering, how realistic that is? I mean, isn't a flat floor supposed to reduce drag? Less drag means more top speed as far as I am aware.

I tested flat floors the other night on a s2000. Same tune and i was over a second slower per lap at deep forest. It seems that flat floors increase your downforce adding more grip, but they also add a ton of drag that overpowers the benefits.

A flat floor is just that... flat, often with venturis/tunnels/diffuser at the rear to get rid of the air quickly.

The air going over the top of the car travels slower and causes more drag while the air underneath is travelling quicker (not too mention a shorter distance). It creates a vacuum helping the car get sucked to the ground.

Therefore it should be more stable at least on GT6. It should be quicker round corners as well of course. Not sure why it is slower top-end unless the extra weight of the extra downforce is grounding the car out. It would be helpful to have the old GT5 telemetry back.

Maybe try rising the ride-height?The key to untapping it's potential may well be setup rather than installing it and hoping for the best.

Doing some testing for my weekly racing thing, where we are running a S2000 and each week adding new parts to it to make it faster. This week we are doing flat floor on the stock car on Sport Soft tires, so I figure I'll try to see what the difference might be. I tried it on 2 tracks, Street of Willow, and Brands Hatch GP course. First is a slower track where most corners are 2nd gear and low speed tight radius with a few odd ball awkward braking zone and the 2nd is a fast high speed corner track. The stock car without floor did a 1:20.8 around there for me, with probably at least another 5-8 tenth to find since I have tried 8 laps and maybe 2 were clean. Added the floor, my best lap went to 1:19.5, and that was on the 3rd lap of 3 clean lap. The car has more stability under braking and get get on power sooner without correcting. Around Brands Hatch, the stock car did a 1:40.8, after 3 clean lap. The floor car actually ran slower around here at first at 1:41.1. So I tried harder and pushed that down to 1:40.4. I think there might be some truth to the slower speed thing, with extra downforce on faster track I think you are gaining a lot of speed in the highspeed turns, but with the car being quite limited on power you are having to try a lot harder to make up for the lack of straight line speed on those flat out undulation on that track...

Outside of that, I've found that my other S2000 with the floor is much more stable to drive, especially on those section at Matterhorn at the highspeed kinks...

A flat floor is just that... flat, often with venturis/tunnels/diffuser at the rear to get rid of the air quickly.

The air going over the top of the car travels slower and causes more drag while the air underneath is travelling quicker (not too mention a shorter distance). It creates a vacuum helping the car get sucked to the ground.

Therefore it should be more stable at least on GT6. It should be quicker round corners as well of course. Not sure why it is slower top-end unless the extra weight of the extra downforce is grounding the car out. It would be helpful to have the old GT5 telemetry back.

Maybe try rising the ride-height?The key to untapping it's potential may well be setup rather than installing it and hoping for the best.

I don't think ground effects have the same effect of slowing a car down that other 'normal' aerodynamics have, but I may be wrong.

I took my car for a bit of serious rolling (see https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/too-easy-to-roll.293264/page-5#post-9092067) and the game obviously models the flat floor once installed. It is really quite flat. I honestly don't see how such a flat floor could possibly increase drag.

I don't think ground effects have the same effect of slowing a car down that other 'normal' aerodynamics have, but I may be wrong.

I took my car for a bit of serious rolling (see https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/too-easy-to-roll.293264/page-5#post-9092067) and the game obviously models the flat floor once installed. It is really quite flat. I honestly don't see how such a flat floor could possibly increase drag.

Sorry that's not what I meant. I'm just saying the air going over the top has more drag to the air travelling underneath. The flat floor reduces the drag underneath as it's not flowing through and around the gearbox casing, driveshafts etc.

I was just saying increasing the ride height (or stiffening the suspension for that matter) might help, just to offset the effect of the car effectively being heavier under load of the aero caused from the flat floor. Just something to try.

Great roll though. Physics hold up well! GTR2 used to flip them up into the air stupidly high

Last edited:
I see what you mean now. Still, I don't think it is plausible, as it would mean that all those race cars that sit much lower than a street car would actually be worse off with a flat floor. Obviously, in reality this is not true.

Who knows though, PD might have done it that way :odd:

It should be quicker. I just tried it in my NSX '91 and went quicker with a flat floor round Grand Valley. Corner speed and stability certainly increases.

If the car is pushed down the suspension travel is limited but I have no idea why the top end is slower.

Last edited:
Whats most ironic is that downforce/aero dont affect pp in GT6.
Except for flat floors.
Except for the Viper ACR.

I was also curious about this, When I read "optimal aerodynamics" and "airflow thereby improved" it sure as hell didn't translate in my brain to "top speed will be reduced significantly".

The flat floor decreased my speed on my GTR Black Edition. If it improves airflow, shouldn't there be less drag and therefore IMPROVE top speed?

I thought that top speed was a trade off to downforce....increasing downforce will reduce top (straight line) speed. That's what F1 is all about. Of course it will increase cornering speed but the car is 'heavier' and thus 'slower'.

So here's what the flat floor "offers" the ACR.

Absolutely no extra downforce, top speed reduced anyway by approximately 20mph. PP raised 22 points.
ACR spec @600pp
Without FF: 610hp/1242kg
With FF: 515hp/1242kg

Im guessing on this car the flat floor will only cost time, possibly on every single track.

I use flat floor to improve handling/cornering, as I install this on replicas, PP do not matter :) and I kind of like the more realistic top speed of the car, with it, now the car suffers from drag in high speed. GT6 still has nasty bug where cars without aero almost do not have drag in high speed, cars can accelerate hard above 200kmh, even on lower power car - around 300-400 HP.

I use flat floor to improve handling/cornering, as I install this on replicas, PP do not matter :) and I kind of like the more realistic top speed of the car, with it, now the car suffers from drag in high speed. GT6 still has nasty bug where cars without aero almost do not have drag in high speed, cars can accelerate hard above 200kmh, even on lower power car - around 300-400 HP.
Yeah the ACR hit 221 in 5th on a flat road stock,(226 downhill using 6) and the SRT hit 234 stock. :odd: (I don't think either can hit 210 irl)

Counter-intuitively, while the floor is flat and more aerodynamic, because it is creating downforce, it's also creating resistance.

Air is compressed under the car, and is forced to move under the car faster than the standing (still) air around the car, creating low pressure under the vehicle, which works the same as downforce.

The air is quite literally, compressed and accelerated under the vehicle, which requires force (or power). At speed, there is a LOT of air being compressed and accelerated, every atom of which requires horsepower.

This is why the top speed is decreasing. The only time you see a top speed increase with a flat floor IRL is when you have a relatively high ride height that prevents the compression effect, eliminating the downforce bonus. At that point, it's just lower under-carriage resistance (see real E and S class Benz's for an example of this. They also use dimpled panels, like a golf ball, to detach the air from the floor and lower resistance).

(Or, standing aero, like spoilers, are reduced, creating a net 0 gain in downforce, but a slight drop in resistance. Looks like GT6 isn't modeling this correctly)

i just tested this on a mostly stock s2000. without flatfloors it will hit the limiter at 160mph and i changed nothing, but added flat floors and only went 147 mph. i didnt test handling, but it did add quite a bit of drag.

Back