Flyin' Miata Super Cup | Season 1 | Congrats to Champion GT_Alex74!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 745 comments

Preferred start time?

• 12pm PDT / 3pm EDT / 7pm GMT

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • 1pm PDT / 4pm EDT / 8pm GMT

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 2pm PDT / 5pm EDT / 9pm GMT

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 3pm PDT / 6pm EDT / 10pm GMT

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Announcement:

First off I want to thank everyone that committed to this series and made it possible. We started to struggle mid season to fill up the room but in the end the racing was GREAT and that is what matters. Some good battles out there throughout the field. We even made the official Gran Turismo social media pages for an epic lead battle at Autopolis thanks to @GT_Alex74 ! Below you will find the final championship points standings after drop rounds have gone into effect. Fingers crossed it's accurate so if something seems off please let me know. :nervous: Congrats to Alex for making it look easy! :lol:

With that, I do welcome suggestions for another season for those that are interested. To combat the reduction of grid size as the season goes on, I will probably implement a co-driver system. In this system, you would choose which one of you is the main driver and that person will race most of the races alone, however if the main driver can't make it for any reason, the co-driver will step in and race for you. Together you will earn points throughout the season. This will go into effect, along with any other changes we agree should be made. I think the overall format is good, so the only changes likely being to the car and the circuits on the schedule.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to open a room shortly for some track testing with possible changes to the car. Just some hot lapping to see if the track/car combo works well, no races. If interested you are welcome to join.

Edit: Ok, here are the changes I am proposing to the car and the schedule:

Adding weight to make the car more realistic. A base NA 1.8L weighs around 2,180 lbs. Lighter seats, no carpet or sound deadening, and lighter hood (carbon) will reduce weight but not a lot. Wheels are probably a wash because aftermarket 17's or 18's more than likely weigh the same or more than the stock wheels. Add in the weight for the cage and rear spoiler and there is no way this car weighs what PD says it weighs. :lol: SO, I am proposing a weight increase to 2,086 lbs or 946 kg (Level 119)

To make up for the added weight, bumping the power to 227hp (Level 111). At Brands Hatch Indy the car was in the high 51's which is 3-4 tenths slower than the fast lap run during our races this past season. With a faster driver it might be about the same. With that said, I REALLY like the way the car feels now. Not so twitchy, more traction in 2nd with the added weight, and just overall better balance. Please let me know what you think after doing some laps.

As far as the schedule goes, here are my initial thoughts:
  1. Autodrome Lago Maggiore - East II (really like the flow of this track)
  2. Tsukuba Circuit
  3. Tokyo Expressway - South Outer Loop (I want rain here PD...)
  4. Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
  5. Dragon Trail - Gardens
As you can see I went for some shorter circuits and mixed it up with some fictional locations. Would like some rain in the schedule but it is what it is. Maybe PD will add it to one of them this month and we can throw it in.

And a new look for me, still a WIP.

7134357127345209344_0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to open a room shortly for some track testing with possible changes to the car. Just some hot lapping to see if the track/car combo works well, no races. If interested you are welcome to join.

Edit: Ok, here are the changes I am proposing to the car and the schedule:

Adding weight to make the car more realistic. A base NA 1.8L weighs around 2,180 lbs. Lighter seats, no carpet or sound deadening, and lighter hood (carbon) will reduce weight but not a lot. Wheels are probably a wash because aftermarket 17's or 18's more than likely weigh the same or more than the stock wheels. Add in the weight for the cage and rear spoiler and there is no way this car weighs what PD says it weighs. :lol: SO, I am proposing a weight increase to 2,086 lbs or 946 kg (Level 119)

To make up for the added weight, bumping the power to 227hp (Level 111). At Brands Hatch Indy the car was in the high 51's which is 3-4 tenths slower than the fast lap run during our races this past season. With a faster driver it might be about the same. With that said, I REALLY like the way the car feels now. Not so twitchy, more traction in 2nd with the added weight, and just overall better balance. Please let me know what you think after doing some laps.

As far as the schedule goes, here are my initial thoughts:
  1. Autodrome Lago Maggiore - East II (really like the flow of this track)
  2. Tsukuba Circuit
  3. Tokyo Expressway - South Outer Loop (I want rain here PD...)
  4. Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
  5. Dragon Trail - Gardens
As you can see I went for some shorter circuits and mixed it up with some fictional locations. Would like some rain in the schedule but it is what it is. Maybe PD will add it to one of them this month and we can throw it in.

And a new look for me, still a WIP.

7134357127345209344_0.jpg
Good idea. I will give you an advice: when we have the drivers list, GT_Alex chooses his teammate, then Nic does, then you do, to give an advantage to those who have joined Season 1 on GT Sport of the FMSC. Tell me if you like the idea. I just don't like the co-driver idea: no one wants to be it, as you can do 0 races if your "official driver" is always free.

I will probably implement a co-driver system. In this system, you would choose which one of you is the main driver and that person will race most of the races alone, however if the main driver can't make it for any reason, the co-driver will step in and race for you.
I just don't like the co-driver idea: no one wants to be it, as you can do 0 races if your "official driver" is always free.
Or maybe there's an other way.
I think that drivers can sign up as "team" of 2 drivers. They decide which track they will race each. and they can change during the season if someone can't do the next Round for any reason. With that said, I think that maybe 6 Rounds would be ok cause it would give 3 Rounds for each drivers (in case they decide to split in the middle)

And maybe Spa as a final Round?

Or maybe there's an other way.
I think that drivers can sign up as "team" of 2 drivers. They decide which track they will race each. and they can change during the season if someone can't do the next Round for any reason. With that said, I think that maybe 6 Rounds would be ok cause it would give 3 Rounds for each drivers (in case they decide to split in the middle)

And maybe Spa as a final Round?
Yes! This is the best idea. If this happens, I think we should do not just a 6 round championship, maybe also a 12 round big championship if there is a lot ot interest. Then @R1600Turbo , you should open another thread if we do another season, to make it easier to the new guys.

I just want to say thank you to @R1600Turbo for hosting and putting together this series, I had a ton of fun and learned a lot from chasing you Aliens around all season. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to continue on next season as Sunday's aren’t really the best day/time for me. But if it turns out to be at a time I can make, I’ll definitely be back. Thanks again for the great season! :cheers:

Last edited:
Doesn't need to be overly complicated. If some one is always free, they won't need a co-driver. It's only in place to help those that know they can't make every race.
Fair point!
Thank you again Turbo for hosting it, you helped me getting into sim-racing, I already told you this was my first championship and so I am sorry with everyone if I screwed them with contacts, spins, or just illegal moves. If you can, keep times between morning and afternoon, so we Europeans can join. The car feels good on the tracks you've selected, so why not, I think I won't mind joining another season with the Miata!

I just want to say thank you to @R1600Turbo for hosting and putting together this series, I had a ton of fun and learned a lot from chasing you Aliens around all season. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to continue on next season as Sunday's aren’t really the best day/time for me. But if it turns out to be at a time I can make, I’ll definitely be back. Thanks again for the great season
Probably around the same time.

Also, I forgot to say something: what about streaming on YouTube/Twitch? These races have been side-by-side close action, and I'm sure people will love seeing them. Some years ago I created a YouTube channel called "International Racing Championships" because I wanted to organise some leagues. Well, it still has 0 videos. So if someone knows a guy who might be a commentator, I can give my channel to him and we might start streaming the series.

Also, I forgot to say something: what about streaming on YouTube/Twitch? These races have been side-by-side close action, and I'm sure people will love seeing them. Some years ago I created a YouTube channel called "International Racing Championships" because I wanted to organise some leagues. Well, it still has 0 videos. So if someone knows a guy who might be a commentator, I can give my channel to him and we might start streaming the series.
I only have 700kb upload internet at the moment so currently not possible for me. However I'm moving in January and better internet is available there so definitely plan on it.

I only have 700kb upload internet at the moment so currently not possible for me. However I'm moving in January and better internet is available there so definitely plan on it.

If I’m able to compete next season I can stream the races no problem. :)

If I’m able to compete next season I can stream the races no problem. :)
If you are a driver in the series you don't have to stream, it should be another guy, out of the series, who streams the races, to have a 3rd person view, which will be a dream to watch in night tracks like Tokyo.

Isn't there a another to incitate people to participate to every event? I dunno this co-driver system seems a bit silly to me since we want to fill up lobbies not have people ready to race sitting on the side lines. Or maybe i just didn't get the system at all ^^' . A thing that may work (or not hehe) is maybe having a point system where people who participate to all the event have few bonus points at the end of the season or something like that. But even that i don't know, some people are not racing because that have things planned over the weekend not because they get excited about something they aren't into in reality ; we don't want the series to become too strict don't we?

Still, to me it looks like a considerable option

Building up the hype the week before the race could work as well : you know, pictures, open practice lobby, conversation, that kind of stuff (we are on a forum after all). That's how companies make people excited about their stuff/event so why not we do the same. Don't have to be overwhelming, just few things here and there

Or, maybe having a race every two weeks instead of every week
could be a good idea. It could help people free up their schedule before race week. Like i said a lot of people aren't coming because they are busy. That'll add a bit of breathing room in between races in other word and more time to practice for the same people who don't have much time on their hands. I'm watching a racing series in Québec where they do that format and everyone that signed up is present for race day every two weeks.

That's a few ideas of mine

I dunno this co-driver system seems a bit silly to me since we want to fill up lobbies not have people ready to race sitting on the side lines.
Nobody is sitting idle. If they sign up they know how it works, I'm sure the lead driver will tell them ahead of time when they need to race.
But even that i don't know, some people are not racing because that have things planned over the weekend not because they get excited about something they aren't into in reality ; we don't want the series to become too strict don't we?
I don't see anything as being strict. And I'm fine with people missing races, as long as they let me know ahead of time. What irks me is when people sign up, run the first event or two, and then no-show for the rest of the season with no explanation as to why. Communication is key.
Building up the hype the week before the race could work as well : you know, pictures, open practice lobby, conversation, that kind of stuff (we are on a forum after all). That's how companies make people excited about their stuff/event so why not we do the same. Don't have to be overwhelming, just few things here and there
I'm excited. The racing this season has shown how great we are, I tend to let that speak for itself.
Or, maybe having a race every two weeks instead of every week could be a good idea.
Spacing things out tends to work in the opposite way you expect it to.
Like i said a lot of people aren't coming because they are busy.
I'd love for them to let me know that. :)

Well you know more than me about making series that’s for sure ^^’ i may be talking about things i dont have a clue about, i dont know, but these are just suggestions not demands

Tbh i care about this series because the few races i took part we’re really fun and challenging and i want to be part of more of it, thats why i’m trying to help

I really understand the frustration of having people that register, but don’t really participate (or even don’t care at all)

Turbo, the true reason why people miss rounds without telling you it's because they hate this car. Did you see DaTrentster? In the lobby of preseason testing he spun and he said "Gr **** this car" and he never came back on this thread. Rowdy and GaudyHornet also did the same. I also wanted to quit for forever, but then I thought that I was having fun anyway even if I were last. So, in my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong, this car is so understeery that noobs like me decide to quit, full of frustration inside them.
P.S. I'm not talking about DesertPenguin or Yeratel, they were busy, just letting you know something that happened in the Silver Cup when we had it.

Turbo, the true reason why people miss rounds without telling you it's because they hate this car. Did you see DaTrentster? In the lobby of preseason testing he spun and he said "Gr **** this car" and he never came back on this thread. Rowdy and GaudyHornet also did the same. I also wanted to quit for forever, but then I thought that I was having fun anyway even if I were last. So, in my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong, this car is so understeery that noobs like me decide to quit, full of frustration inside them.
P.S. I'm not talking about DesertPenguin or Yeratel, they were busy, just letting you know something that happened in the Silver Cup when we had it.

Hmm, what were these people expecting? Gr2 level of downforce? This car is litteraly a stock Miata with a rear wing and few improvements, of course it’s gonna be understeering. Gr4 are understeering like crazy and you don’t see people complaining about them

I just dont see the point, if people don’t try other style of racing like the miata or other N class instead of sticking to Gr3, people will never understand how cars works and get good at racing ; practice makes perfect

Hmm, what were these people expecting? Gr2 level of downforce? This car is litteraly a stock Miata with a rear wing and few improvements, of course it’s gonna be understeering. Gr4 are understeering like crazy and you don’t see people complaining about them

I just dont see the point, if people don’t try other style of racing like the miata or other N class instead of sticking to Gr3, people will never understand how cars works and get good at racing ; practice makes perfect
Yes, I have the same opinion. No one likes N class, they just want Gr.2, Gr.3 and Gr.4. I don't think the Miata is bad, this is just what other people think of it. You probably misunderstood the message.

You ran the series well, R1600. There's two issues that made grids die:

1. It's not Yet Another GT3 Series™ and unfortunately, due to the esports aspect of the game, that's what people seem to want.
2. PD completely screwed up the tires (feel like sponges) and transmission (shifts way too fast, and imo it feels like the car accelerates too fast for the power/weight). When you can get the car dialed in, it's fun to drive, but there were times where I'd completely lose the car for a session. I'd considered running a series at 150hp on CH tires, with tuning; this helped a bit but it still didn't feel fun 100% of the time to me.

Car was quite the opposite for me. Oversteer for days.

. PD completely screwed up the tires (feel like sponges) and transmission (shifts way too fast, and imo it feels like the car accelerates too fast for the power/weight). When you can get the car dialed in, it's fun to drive, but there were times where I'd completely lose the car for a session. I'd considered running a series at 150hp on CH tires, with tuning; this helped a bit but it still didn't feel fun 100% of the time to me
Hopefully the changes I made will help?

Would anyone be interested in a support series? Maybe a different car, one 15 minute race. Then we follow that up with two 20 minute races in the Miata, last one reverse grid? Kinda mix it up a bit.
Ok, kinda strange but ok. I think it's better to do two separate championships, also on the same day if necessary.

Back