FM Vs GT - Discussion Thread (read the first post before you post)

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 8,743 comments
Damage isn't that important in my eyes. In real live usually a accident means the race is over.

Which makes GT sound more like an arcade game by those standards or a semi-sim that is very forgivinging to players. Also if they made it like real life, dont you think you'd become a better driver?

Which makes GT sound more like an arcade game by those standards or a semi-sim that is very forgivinging to players. Also if they made it like real life, dont you think you'd become a better driver?

If they make it like that ,Most People Won't Buy it.

How can GT5 be more "Sim" then Forza when it doesn't even have car damage. In GT, you can slingshot your car around the corner using the car in front of you as a guard rail. Where is the realism in that ?

This the reason why I playing Forza instead of GT :

- Livery Editor
- Seamless integration between offline/online
- Auction house
- Car damage
- More DLC
- A very deep offline World tour/event list
- Rival mode (very addictive)
- Rewards clean drivers and penalize "dirty" lap
- Sharing car among club member
- Finally a decent Wheel support
- Faster AI

It doesn't mean GT5 is bad. It is just failing short. It hasn't involve since the days of GT3. It's still a great game but it has aged. It's the reality, It's no longer the King of "sim" console racer.

Please tell me your kidding right GT5 has damage and why do you state these things as facts It's really annoying.

True since most players are gamers and not car enthusiast like me...hence why there are games for people like me (iRacing for example).

Yes Iracing is more Hardcore Based sim but IN my Opinion Owning a rig is way too expensive for alot of People (Me included)So when Forza and GT are released without as much cost to us we really should be thankful for both games.

Rfactor 2 looks promising as well.

JDMking13 where did he said, that there wasn't ?
Maybe he prefers the Forza damage, it's better than GT5, even if it's not nothing special...

He says, why he plays forza instead of GT, it's his opinion....

On Gt5 the damage depends on the models, on premiums is very good, once you reach a certain level....
On standards it's a joke...

I would like grid's damage, why that game gets the green light, and GT and Forza don't ?
I remember the first time, i've played TOCA racing cars, That damage !
Or when playing Richard Burns Rally, a great rally simulator....
Or playing Rally Trophy...
Sure GT5 offers rally, but it isn't the same thing, is it ?

Last edited:
Yes Iracing is more Hardcore Based sim but IN my Opinion Owning a rig is way too expensive for alot of People (Me included)So when Forza and GT are released without as much cost to us we really should be thankful for both games.

Rfactor 2 looks promising as well.

I'm not sure what we should be thankful for, I think being thankful for a job is far more important but that's where I guess I don't see eye to eye with people when it comes to this debate.

I agree about the rig though...especially a pc based rig. I mean a console one is expensive as well, but a PC one is not just the seat and steering wheel, it's a good computer as well. It's just crazy...but we all can dream I guess. Better yet I can just build one...I do have a degree in welding.

Also I think Rfactor 2 is going to be great as well...when ever it comes out, the one only other game I see with as much wait time as a full GT game.

Please tell me your kidding right GT5 has damage and why do you state these things as facts It's really annoying.

That looks like an opinion...didn't you call me out only yesterday and accuse me of the same thing, you're doing now to that user?

The irony, oh the irony!

Since when does "here are the reasons that I prefer Forza over GT5" (which is what he actually said) mean the same thing as "here are the the objective facts that show why Forza is better than GT5" (which you are projecting onto him)?

Toronado, how can i Update gt5 to spec 2.0, without a good Internet connection ?
I'm going to give another shot, to view the quality of textures of the standards...
I've already bought the tracks pack, but they don't blend with career do they ?

Since when does "here are the reasons that I prefer Forza over GT5" (which is what he actually said) mean the same thing as "here are the the objective facts that show why Forza is better than GT5" (which you are projecting onto him)?

Thx.

Personally, what GT5 has its not even remotely close to what car damage should be when you compare it to any Forza title.

Forza in that department, isn't nothing special....either...
But i agree, Gt5 damage is the first attempt of PD, Forza's shows nice damage and collision physics and heavy feeling for the cars...
Grid-like, or toca racing damage, would be recommended...

How can GT5 be more "Sim" then Forza when it doesn't even have car damage. In GT, you can slingshot your car around the corner using the car in front of you as a guard rail. Where is the realism in that ?

This the reason why I playing Forza instead of GT :

- Livery Editor
- Seamless integration between offline/online
- Auction house
- Car damage
- More DLC
- A very deep offline World tour/event list
- Rival mode (very addictive)
- Rewards clean drivers and penalize "dirty" lap
- Sharing car among club member
- Finally a decent Wheel support
- Faster AI

It doesn't mean GT5 is bad. It is just failing short. It hasn't involve since the days of GT3. It's still a great game but it has aged. It's the reality, It's no longer the King of "sim" console racer.

Don't see any opinion stated their that seems like he stating a fact, also the first is completely wrong about the damage part. The reason he likes FM is cool to me 👍 . I said it before everybody plays their racing games differently, and those points he listed matter to him. No problem there, but whats up with the king of racers? If any GT fan said GT is the king of racers you guys would of jumped all over him. @ LMS sorry nice try 👎

JDMking13 where did he said, that there wasn't ?
Maybe he prefers the Forza damage, it's better than GT5, even if it's not nothing special...

He says, why he plays forza instead of GT, it's his opinion....

On Gt5 the damage depends on the models, on premiums is very good, once you reach a certain level....
On standards it's a joke...

I would like grid's damage, why that game gets the green light, and GT and Forza don't ?
I remember the first time, i've played TOCA racing cars, That damage !
Or when playing Richard Burns Rally, a great rally simulator....
Or playing Rally Trophy...
Sure GT5 offers rally, but it isn't the same thing, is it ?

Last edited:
Don't see any opinion stated their that seems like he stating a fact, also the first is completely wrong about the damage part. The reason he likes FM is cool to me 👍 . I said it before everybody plays their racing games differently, and those points he listed matter to him. No problem there, but whats up with the king of racers? If any GT fan said GT is the king of racers you guys would of jumped all over him. @ LMS sorry nice try 👎

All he said at the end was that GT5 was no longer the king of sims. He did not say forza was.

All he said at the end was that GT5 was no longer the king of sims. He did not say forza was.

Oh sorry bomber It's only 2 console sim racers in competition FM GT5 So if GT5 is not the king who is NFS :rolleyes:? All i'm saying is why make your opinion sound factual? Any GT fan said that he would of got cream by you guys. I don't have any problem If he feels like FM is the king of racers It's a good game with many fun things to offer, he could of easily put in his opinion just as he did with the first part that's all I'm saying. I'm sorry if I got you guys upset.

The importance of a damage system isn't the visual fluff, but rather the affects to a car's performance after an incident occurs. Real time model changes or texture/model swaps is fine with me so long as the affects are realistic enough. I always race with damage set to full in all racers. It gives me the incentive to not bump n run nor wall grind, essentially not drive like a casual/arcade minded player.

Oh sorry bomber It's only 2 console sim racers in competition FM GT5 So if GT5 is not the king who is NFS :rolleyes:? All i'm saying is why make your opinion sound factual? Any GT fan said that he would of got cream by you guys. I don't have any problem If he feels like FM is the king of racers It's a good game with many fun things to offer, he could of easily put in his opinion just as he did with the first part that's all I'm saying. I'm sorry if I got you guys upset.

There are other sims out there like those for PC? Also your bias and sarcastic eyeroll is getting really annoying. Other users are trying to be fair to both games and the user that you're calling out even admits that that doesn't make GT5 a bad game. Once again your manipulating post but if someone calls you out on it for your post that actually seem like obvious GT5 is better than FM4 you get defensive and say that wasn't your intention. For someone that claims to be a fan of both games you sure attack people a lot for loving FM4 more than GT5...

The importance of a damage system isn't the visual fluff, but rather the affects to a car's performance after an incident occurs. Real time model changes or texture/model swaps is fine with me so long as the affects are realistic enough. I always race with damage set to full in all racers. It gives me the incentive to not bump n run nor wall grind, essentially not drive like a casual/arcade minded player.

Absolutely agree ^
Hence why I said what I said:

Damage isn't that important in my eyes. In real live usually a accident means the race is over.

I think we both are on the same page here. I don't get why people neglect the importance of a damage system for a sim game. Don't like it? Turn it off! That simple

To me not having damage promotes arcade minded driving. No care to ram the car ahead of you or take a turn to fast and just wall grind.

I think we both are on the same page here. I don't get why people neglect the importance of a damage system for a sim game. Don't like it? Turn it off! That simple

To me not having damage promotes arcade minded driving. No care to ram the car ahead of you or take a turn to fast and just wall grind.

I agree, why buy a sim game (which simulates real life driving) but not want damage? So you want to drive these cars unrestricted all the way, but not face consequences of when you mess up? I mean to me it just seems silly (hence why we agree).

I don't think anyone's arguing that a game having damage is a bad thing, but whether it's important is debatable. When I make a big enough mistake that it would probably end my race in real life, I restart or end the race and try again.

I think there are good reasons for PD to implement damage, and just in general make the game more realistic, even if that means more difficult. Or at least give us the option of playing on more difficult levels. Anything PD can do to encourage players to learn better driving skills is a plus for me.

I don't think anyone's arguing that a game having damage is a bad thing, but whether it's important is debatable. When I make a big enough mistake that it would probably end my race in real life, I restart or end the race and try again.

I think there are good reasons for PD to implement damage, and just in general make the game more realistic, even if that means more difficult. Or at least give us the option of playing on more difficult levels. Anything PD can do to encourage players to learn better driving skills is a plus for me.

Yeah I'd most likely restart and do it again as well, and I think that is a reason some license test in old GT games were a challenge but fun. No margin for error in the harder tests.

Damage IS part of racing. Period. Whether it be rubbing bumpers, a broken spring, a destroyed clutch, or a wreck that totals the car. Its a LARGE part of racing.

In fact just tonight, in FM4 online, I had these happen:

1. Destroyed my clutch in a Mercedes 190E by abusing it at the begining of a race (yeah FM4 doesnt just have rolling starts). Came in last, because it was damaged.

2. Rolled my 03 Mustang Cobra after taking a corner really bad, and hitting a curb. My race was over, and I was just sitting in my car on its side till folks finished.

3. Got T-Boned in my Boss 429 by a Camero that went off track and came back on...without yielding. I hit the wall, and it messed up my engine, and alignment. Again, I came in last limping around the track getting lapped, by going about 34 mph, and having to hold the wheel at 45 degrees to go strait.

Not only do you FEEL the damage, but you can see it as well. Bumpers falling onto the track, paint gone, fenders dented, and smoke coming out of your car.

Can you do any of that in GT5? Do you ever need to worry about killing your gears by dropping from 6th gear to 2nd? No. You dont. Do you ever cringe when overtaking somebody hoping they dont turn in, because it ccould end the race for you? Never happened to me in GT5, because, well, there is no
consequence, besides a little annoyance.

So I call FM4 more of a sim than GT5 anyday. Damage is just one reason.

There are other sims out there like those for PC? Also your bias and sarcastic eyeroll is getting really annoying. Other users are trying to be fair to both games and the user that you're calling out even admits that that doesn't make GT5 a bad game. Once again your manipulating post but if someone calls you out on it for your post that actually seem like obvious GT5 is better than FM4 you get defensive and say that wasn't your intention. For someone that claims to be a fan of both games you sure attack people a lot for loving FM4 more than GT5...

LMS why..... just like you told me before this is a GT vs FM thread not PC.... to keep it real I don't like you even with GTforzafan we might not agree but the man can debate he doesn't make himself seem, better than others or throw personal attacks I had a small problem with what he said and it's in the AUP do not state opinion as facts. I know your trying to get back at me but GTforzafan is a big boy and can hold his own once again please stop quoting me thank you.

Edit can someone help me with the ignore list I never used it before, but it's time thank you. 👍

At Vaxxx i'm going to use your famous quote you must not have played GT and to keep it real with you all I care about is mechanical damage which GT5 has so i'm good. 👍

Last edited:
Yeah I'd most likely restart and do it again as well, and I think that is a reason some license test in old GT games were a challenge but fun. No margin for error in the harder tests.

This is what i meant by that damage isn't that important. I restart again if i make a mistake that would be fatal. Most damage systems are too forgiving in my eyes anyway, or offer a rewind function.

Rewind is optional. As for damage, it's a sim, and damage is one of the most important aspects of a simulation...because it simulates what happens on the track everyday to all drivers.

As far as I am concerned, there is no comparison in damage. FM4's looks better, reacts better, has more functionality and is a dam sight more realistic than GT5's. As someone said, cooking clutches, brakes, proper tyre wear/damage, physical damage, aero damage etc.

Forza11.jpg

Latest Posts

Back