FM Vs GT - Discussion Thread (read the first post before you post)

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 8,743 comments
I would like to know why FM4 damage system is so better than GT5, only thing I think is better in FM4 is the transmission damage, other than that I play on heavy damage all the time, you hit the wall your race is over unless you make it to the pit's.

Well first off, damage isn't consistent throughout the game. It's locked into certain modes. Downshift redline pings in Forza will give me damage to engine/drivetrain but I haven't had much of that problem in GT5. In GT5 I actually have gotten used to aggressive downshifts because there is little to now damage effects in doing so, and doing that along with braking slows your car better for the turns than just braking alone.

Well first off, damage isn't consistent throughout the game. It's locked into certain modes. Downshift redline pings in Forza will give me damage to engine/drivetrain but I haven't had much of that problem in GT5. In GT5 I actually have gotten used to aggressive downshifts because there is little to now damage effects in doing so, and doing that along with braking slows your car better for the turns than just braking alone.

It's known there is no damage in a-spec mode which sucks, but doesn't bother me because I race online, free lap, arcade race where damage is available, The more you drive on a broken part the car gets worse, you mess up your engine it struggles and you can hear it. What I like about FM is the transmission damage GT5 doesn't have it and how if you over rev the engine it gets damaged. In GT5 the more you crash over time you also have to do a chassis repair which is cool.

I said that cuco. 👍 @ bogie to funny man :lol:. 👍

It's known there is no damage in a-spec mode which sucks, but doesn't bother me because I race online, free lap, arcade race where damage is available, The more you drive on a broken part the car gets worse, you mess up your engine it struggles and you can hear it. what I like about FM is the transmission damage GT5 doesn't have it and how if you over rev the engine it gets damaged. In GT5 the more you crash over time you also have to do a chassis repair which is cool.

So again, GT5 has damage is certain paramters are in place, right? And even then its still not as good as it should be. Again showing you how 1/2 assed GT5 is.

We have great cars! Well ok, not all...in fact not even 1/2.

Our cars still number in 1000+ though! Oh you are looking for a certain car? Well keep checking the UCD. Because not knowing what you will find isnt annoying...its fun!

We have weather though! Oh...only on certain tracks? Night too? Hmm.

We have great physics! Well ok, online and offline differ...but ya know.

We have tuning setups! Well ok, not tire pressure, no upgraded brakes though, or engine swaps, and cant upgrade every car.

We have Race Mods! So we only need less than 15 for RM's.

We have great tracks! You know, the Ring. Oh now Spa too!

We have head tracking! Oh...not in the whole game? Dang.

We have leaderboards...its says it on the box! Oh? We dont? Hmmm.

We have paint! So what if I cant put my teams livery on my car. Or even make race numbers for online leagues, or change wheels on all cars. Oh...I have to use paint chips? Oh...I cant just pick a paint?

We have damage! Ok it looks real bad, and there is no gearbox damage, and it cant be used in A spec, but its there...sometimes.

You see how many paramters you have mess with to get GT5 to look/play/sim well? GT5 can look and play great...*IF* this or that. Its a broken game.

Oh, one thing nobody can touch GT5 is on racing suits! Yes, clothes shopping in a race "sim" is awesome.

So again, GT5 has damage is certain paramters are in place, right? And even then its still not as good as it should be. Again showing you how 1/2 assed GT5 is.

Our cars still number in 1000+ though! Oh you are looking for a certain car? Well keep checking the UCD. Because not knowing what you will find isnt annoying...its fun!

We have tuning setups! Well ok, not tire pressure, no upgraded brakes though, or engine swaps, and cant upgrade every car.

We have head tracking! Oh...not in the whole game? Dang.

We have leaderboards...its says it on the box! Oh? We dont? Hmmm.

We have paint! So what if I cant put my teams livery on my car. Or even make race numbers for online leagues, or change wheels on all cars. Oh...I have to use paint chips? Oh...I cant just pick a paint?

We have damage! Ok it looks real bad, and there is no gearbox damage, and it cant be used in A spec, but its there...sometimes.

You see how many paramters you have mess with to get GT5 to look/play/sim well? GT5 can look and play great...*IF* this or that. Its a broken game.

Oh, one thing nobody can touch GT5 is on racing suits! Yes, clothes shopping in a race "sim" is awesome.

Over reacting are we, but going off a guy who said he is biased doesn't surprise me at all. The Forza faithfuls... Vatxxt what you did there can be done with any game including your precious.

Dj JDMKING13... spin it man... spin it...
Of course, every game can be criticized... but the inconsistency in GT5 is HUGE....
And Vaxtxx, speaks the truth...

JDMking, you could point out the cons in forza, i dare you to find so many neglected aspects, or half implemented features like in GT5....
But your choice, was a gollum's commentary...
If posting the truth, disturbs you....
Maybe it's you that need to step back, from that precious ..... ( using your words..)

HBK
^ This thread may be running in circles, but this guy still speaks the truth.
This threat is running in circles. Both are really excellent games. In the end it just depends on ones personal preference. But i guess i will leave for iracing sooner or later.

azrael...both are excelent games...
But in terms of "game", forza feels better and more consistent too... no one can deny it...
True, i can see the point of that. And i have to say Forza 4 is a big improvement to its predecessor and better then i expected it to be. Yet i can see already the finishing line and there is still so much i want to try out in GT5 and don't have the time for and this even one year after launch. I am just not so interested into customization.

Last edited:
True, i can see the point of that. And i have to say Forza 4 is a big improvement to its predecessor and better then i expected it to be. Yet i can see already the finishing line and there is still so much i want to try out in GT5 and don't have the time for and this even one year after launch. I am just not so interested into customization.

Exactly I don't care about customization, I wont knock it but some people think is the show stopper. I care about driving, driving experience. GT5 does this for me license test, special events, endurance races, weather, day to night cycles real pit crew and great online racing, tracks such as city tracks SPA :bowdown:( For you vaxxt) You want the better game you can take it I will take the better driving experience. 👍 Also I wont do what Vaxxt did he already stated he is a biased and it clearly shows I like FM4 and the series I won't go out my way to bash the game.

Last edited:
Forza has only customization ?
Have you played the game ?
I'm not saying that Gt5 doesn't offer more, but forza strong points aren't only customization....
The magic word.... "GT5 does it for me" ... no more word necessary

"great online racing. " /facepalm

"You want the better game you can take it I will take the better driving experience."
Based on your opinion... this isn't a fact
His posts, stated facts....
The features included in GT5, are not totally implemented in every track, they are limited experiences, on selected scenarios....
Like the premium cars and the standard cars...

But your sentence, about the better driving experince, shows your annoyance when some criticizes the cons of GT5....
I know I know, GT is god's gift on Earth.... /s
No one is saying, that Forza's is perfect, but you are confusing bashing with pointing out the inconsistencies of the game...

Bashing a game, would be like ... it's cartoon coloured, it has permanent assists, and so on...

Last edited:
You do know that there is a 150 level word tour mode ?
and you can see already the finishing line... You're kidding right ?
Please explain it to me...
It's easy to explain. I mean i can already see that i will stop playing it in the near future. As the races are quite short in single player, they don't interest me that much. I believe that the strong points of Forza 4+ for long time motivation are in customization, sozializing(trading, selling) and online multiplayer. But i don't plan to join X-Box live, because it doesn't make sense for me to pay a monthly fee just for that one game. In the end it's just a matter of personal preference. Give me a nice acr on the Nürburgring track and i am happy. Others might prefer Laguna Seca or Infineon, but it my eyes there is no comparison. Why should i lap a small track 4-5 times in 8 minutes if i can have a big giant track?

I'm not saying that Gt5 doesn't offer more, but forza strong points aren't only customization....

So I guess you are DJ GTForzafan now because nobody said FM just has customization, however Thats one it's strong points. Yeah the racing online with my friends and league is amazing. They can join the room anytime and hop in our current track day session which then can be used for qualifying, I can control and message them from important information from the game it self or my computer, they can race on tracks with me even if they don't have the tracks or if i'm not online (something you can't do in FM) We can race on our custom tracks, and many more. I love GT5 online mode, only thing that has me upset is the leader boards.

"You want the better game you can take it I will take the better driving experience."
Based on your opinion... this isn't a fact
His posts, stated facts....
The features included in GT5, are not totally implemented in every track, they are limited experiences, on selected scenarios....
Like the premium cars and the standard cars...

But your sentence, about the better driving experince, shows your annoyance when some criticizes the cons of GT5....
I know I know, GT is god's gift on Earth.... /s
No one is saying, that Forza's is perfect, but you are confusing bashing with pointing out the inconsistencies of the game...

Bashing a game, would be like ... it's cartoon coloured, it has permanent assists, and so on...

azrael...both are excelent games...
But in terms of "game", forza feels better and more consistent too... no one can deny it...

So I guess you forgot you said this huh, I see your DJ skills are getting better, you said FM is a better game and there is no denying that. I said you can take the better game GT5 is the better driving experience, so GTForzafan which is a contradiction like the skittle commercials stop trying to make like some bad guy, the way Vaxxtx replied to my quote was over board and at the same time he was bashing the game even if you say he right.

Last edited:
Azreal that i can understand, the Xbox live gold issue, it's pretty understandable...
But i can see, that you haven't played at all, forza! There aren't only short races, as you progress the laps also increase...
The Rivals mode is addicting, the different modes, please play the game at least for a while...

JDMking, you were talking like it was the only strong point, that why i've asked to point the cons of forza...
Not bash anything...

You are assuming that GT5 is the better driving experience....as a fact
I'm using facts, to prove that FORZA is a better GAME!
Which is the better driving experince, it's a matter of opinion....
You are trying really hard...

You need to convince someone...?

That's the PROBLEM, I see you can't deal with FACTS....

The truth is, you don't like to see that underlined, like Vaxtxx did.

The whole better driving experience, it's based on only preference.... YOUR'S

I can deal, that forza's variation of the day on the tracks, it's half implemented, the lack of weather and dynamic cycles as a con, the tire simulations it's a bit of a joke...

As i said before, don't confuse bashing with stating facts....

Last edited:
Azreal that i can understand, the Xbox live gold issue, it's pretty understandable...
But i can see, that you haven't played at all, forza! There aren't only short races, as you progress the laps also increase...
The Rivals mode is addicting, the different modes, please play the game at least for a while...

JDMking, you were talking like it was the only strong point, that why i've asked to point the cons of forza...
Not bash anything...

You are assuming that GT5 is the better driving experience....as a fact
I'm using facts, to prove that FORZA is a better GAME!
Which is the better driving experince, it's a matter of opinion....
You are trying really hard...

You need to convince someone...?

What facts did you put down to state FM4 is a better game I did not see any? :odd: Also just as you said how do you know that those facts you list are the same facts I'm going or anybody are going to like? So your game line is also an opinion that you stated as a fact. You are right I did not mean for my driving experience line as a fact it was my opinion.

In the End GTForzafan both games are great, it just depends on what a person is looking for in their sim. 👍

I can deal, that forza's variation of the day on the tracks, it's half implemented, the lack of weather and dynamic cycles as a con, the tire simulations it's a bit of a joke...

As i said before, don't confuse bashing with stating facts....

Whats the difference between what you said and Vaxxtx Hmm let me see.

You gonna tell me he is not mocking and bashing GT5 and fans? This would be an example of what Vaxxtx said but with FM4.

"oh we have variation of days in FM4" Yea it looks nice, but why no headlight, I mean FM1 had working headlight. Just as I said you can do what Vaxxtx did to any game, difference is I like both games and understand they have their good point and bad. I will not go out my way to bash a game like some biased folks we have on these boards.

Last edited:
This threat is running in circles. Both are really excellent games. In the end it just depends on ones personal preference. But i guess i will leave for iracing sooner or later.
GT5 is far from being an excellent game. It's not even a "good game" actually. GT5 has some great strengths (photorealism, handling model/physics engine), but the "video game" part is not one of them.

There's just too many crap to handle in order to experience what's actually great in the game for it to be considered an "excellent game".

"oh we have variation of days in FM4" Yea it looks nice, but why no headlight, I mean FM1 had working headlight.

I would have really liked to have headlights. But I am sure it would have taken them to much time to model all 500+ cars with headlights, also, they would have to integrate it with their new IBL lighting system which would take up more time. In the end, I think headlights would not be worth the time and effort.

It's true that i haven't tried all the game modes of forza 4 yet, so i will follow your advice and i am looking forward to it.

HBK
GT5 is far from being an excellent game. It's not even a "good game" actually. GT5 has some great strengths (photorealism, handling model/physics engine), but the "video game" part is not one of them.

There's just too many crap to handle in order to experience what's actually great in the game for it to be considered an "excellent game".
The average time i spent on a video game is about 10-14 hours. I have spent hundreds of hours on GT5, i am still enjoying it and still have lots of things to do. That is what makes it excellent for me.

It's true that i haven't tried all the game modes of forza 4 yet, so i will follow your advice and i am looking forward to it.

The average time i spent on a video game is about 10-14 hours. I have spent hundreds of hours on GT5, i am still enjoying it and still have lots of things to do. That is what makes it excellent for me.[

Exactly man, I just got back into rally with the special events professional and forgot how cool it is to start a race in that mode. I gold the tarmac but the snow and dirt is another story. :lol: I still have so much to finish. 👍

Just as I said you can do what Vaxxtx did to any game, difference is I like both games and understand they have their good point and bad. I will not go out my way to bash a game like some biased folks we have on these boards.

I stop in from time to time to check this thread for giggles. Sorry JDMKING13 I fail to find your "un-bias" viewpoints. All someone has to do is read your past posts and it is clearly evident that you for some reason go out of your way to defend GT5.

What many are saying is Forza 4 is a much more complete and consistent game and worthy of the praise it is receiving by gamers and the press. The GT series did garnish most of the attention for some years but it doesn't seem to be building (in a good way) from one version to the next. GT5 is a hodgepodge of features and functionality that many feel is a step back from the progression of earlier versions. It is a hit for some that can find those areas where they did a good job (Nordschleife, premiums, ???) but as a whole cannot stand up to the competition (fall of 2011). Granted this is my opinion, but Forza 4 is not inferior in any way (physics, graphics, game play, online, track/car selection) and excels in many other ways. Turn 10 did their homework and was very successful in most areas.
We can nitpick till the cows come home as no game is perfect but in the end it is clear which is the better game. I have many racing games on the PC, PS3, and Xbox. I am bias towards Forza at this point in time as it is doing a better job of providing a consistent and immersive experience. That will change (my bias) as new games emerge. I enjoyed GT5, as I did my others racing games, for a period of time, but I will move on as the latest and greatest are released. I could care less is someone needs to slam GTR, or rFactor, or GT5, as technology and innovation marches on!

Forza 4 with a good wheel/pedal set, sound system, and triple-screen setup is fantastic - how can I knock it for the little things it may not do perfect. I just hope future games take advantage of this hardware.

EDIT: To those that don't see longevity in Forza 4 have not investigated Rivals or the leaderboards. This alone, even with a huge career mode, make it impossible to complete and forever evolving. These are features every current game should have - competing against real human rivals throughout the game, not just online.

Another EDIT: To those that resist the Xbox Gold buy in (literally). When you get over the idea of having to pay for online play, the cost amortized over a year ($40) is really small peanuts. No one thought you would be paying for WATER when I was a kid. I am over it (LIVE cost) and can see the value of Xbox LIVE. Much more complete than anything on the PC's and better in many areas than what the PS3 offers.

I stop in from time to time to check this thread for giggles. Sorry JDMKING13 I fail to find your "un-bias" viewpoints. All someone has to do is read your past posts and it is clearly evident that you for some reason go out of your way to defend GT5.

What many are saying is Forza 4 is a much more complete and consistent game and worthy of the praise it is receiving by gamers and the press. The GT series did garnish most of the attention for some years but it doesn't seem to be building (in a good way) from one version to the next. GT5 is a hodgepodge of features and functionality that many feel is a step back from the progression of earlier versions. It is a hit for some that can find those areas where they did a good job (Nordschleife, premiums, ???) but as a whole cannot stand up to the competition (fall of 2011). Granted this is my opinion, but Forza 4 is not inferior in any way (physics, graphics, game play, online, track/car selection) and excels in many other ways. Turn 10 did their homework and was very successful in most areas.
We can nitpick till the cows come home as no game is perfect but in the end it is clear which is the better game. I have many racing games on the PC, PS3, and Xbox. I am bias towards Forza at this point in time as it is doing a better job of providing a consistent and immersive experience. That will change (my bias) as new games emerge. I enjoyed GT5, as I did my others racing games, for a period of time, but I will move on as the latest and greatest are released. I could care less is someone needs to slam GTR, or rFactor, or GT5, as technology and innovation marches on!

Forza 4 with a good wheel/pedal set, sound system, and triple-screen setup is fantastic - how can I knock it for the little things it may not do perfect. I just hope future games take advantage of this hardware.

EDIT: To those that don't see longevity in Forza 4 have not investigated Rivals or the leaderboards. This alone, even with a huge career mode, make it impossible to complete and forever evolving. These are features every current game should have - competing against real human rivals throughout the game, not just online.

Another EDIT: To those that resist the Xbox Gold buy in (literally). When you get over the idea of having to pay for online play, the cost amortized over a year ($40) is really small peanuts. No one thought you would be paying for WATER when I was a kid. I am over it (LIVE cost) and can see the value of Xbox LIVE. Much more complete than anything on the PC's and better in many areas than what the PS3 offers.

Like he said he is not the best photographer and I still think GT5 looks better, but those FM4 pictures are not the best. I have been on FMplanet and some of those guys make some great work. 👍 Mid thanks for the comparison though 👍

This was response to people saying that FM4 did not look good.

The way you express your opinion is well respected and you did not bash GT5 in the way Vaxxtx did. Did you not see his post? I mean " We got Spa" If FM4 got spa I guarantee He(Any) would be excited to. I don't have to defend FM4 because I don't bash it and we have many Forza faithfuls to do so. My problem in this thread is the double standards. Anyway If people could take your approach at debating it would be no problem, I don't agree with it 100 percent but I do respect what you wrote and feel. 👍

Maybe i am just not competitive enough but rivalsor leaderboards are not that important to me. Sure there are tenthousands of players faster than me, but ultimatly my true rival in hotlapping is myself. I am happy enough if i can beat my own fastest laps as i don't have any x-box friends.
Well and regarding the comparison of water with x-box live membership, i have to say Microsoft marketing must be doing something very, very right.

Last edited:
Maybe i am just not competitive enough but rivalsor leaderboards are not that important to me. Sure there are tenthousands of players faster than me, but ultimatly my true rival in hotlapping is myself. I am happy enough if i can beat my own fastest laps as i don't have any x-box friends.
Well and regarding the comparison of water with x-box live membership, i have to say Microsoft marketing must be doing something very, very right.

What is nice about the Forza Rivals/Leaderboards is that it can be filtered by All (world, universe :)), Near Me (not sure what that means), Club, Friends, Club & Friends. You don't need Xbox friends for competitive comparisons. I like to learn from others (their ghost) for corner entry/exit, braking points, and other techniques that I may be missing.
I find myself using my own ghost when tuning my car and shaving off time with a particular track/car combo but at some point in time I like to know how I stack up against other human racers. I am not overly competitive but the core of racing is competition. "Driving" is another matter. If I am going for a Sunday drive I don't care how fast I am getting from point A to point B and will stop for a burger and beer on the way :sly:

[/B]

Wow, if that is the impression some are getting from the forums something is not getting communicated correctly. Maybe it's the nitpicking that is giving a perception of an inferior product. The graphics do not detract in any way shape or form. Are the grahics super-computer level - no, but for a console they are great and ADD to the immersive experience. Surely doesn't detract.

Last edited:
What is nice about the Forza Rivals/Leaderboards is that it can be filtered by All (world, universe :)), Near Me (not sure what that means), Club, Friends, Club & Friends. You don't need Xbox friends for competitive comparisons. I like to learn from others (their ghost) for corner entry/exit, braking points, and other techniques that I may be missing.
I find myself using my own ghost when tuning my car and shaving off time with a particular track/car combo but at some point in time I like to know how I stack up against other human racers. I am not overly competitive but the core of racing is competition. "Driving" is another matter. If I am going for a Sunday drive I don't care how fast I am getting from point A to point B and will stop for a burger and beer on the way :sly:

I didn't mean that i am not competitive at all, it's just that some people are just too fast for me, I just can't keep up with their ghosts. But sure to be able to get other peoples ghosts comfortably is a very nice feature, there is no point in denying that.

I'm noticing a trend here,Most if not all petrol heads play and enjoy both games as well as others. And most of them post true unbiased opinions about both games.

[/B]

The way you express your opinion is well respected and you did not bash GT5 in the way Vaxxtx did. Did you not see his post? I mean " We got Spa" If FM4 got spa I guarantee He(Any) would be excited to. I don't have to defend FM4 because I don't bash it and we have many Forza faithfuls to do so. My problem in this thread is the double standards. Anyway If people could take your approach at debating it would be no problem, I don't agree with it 100 percent but I do respect what you wrote and feel. 👍

Actually, Spa is not even close to my top 5 favorite tracks, so your guarantee is wrong, and viod. You dont like people putting words in your mouth, but you sure dont mind doing it for me. You have said what I think in 3 previous posts, when you have no right to speak for me.

And bashing GT5? Sorry I dont need to, it has done fine by itself. All I did was post general things I hear, and the laughable truth behind it.

You show me a time in GT5 that you can have everything offered, without having to worry about what "mode" you are in. You cant. Because features being thrown together and only work with a certain combination. Its frustrating to think oh I can have damage online, but not in A Spec. Why? Why is that an issue? I can have head tracking, only while hotlapping. Why? Why was it even put in if it was 1/2 asses? Why spend time and energy on making night racing, yet limit it to certain tracks?

You call it bashing, because no matter what you say, you are a GT5 faithful. Truth is, I am only stating facts about GT5.

FM4 has consistency across the board. All cars are premium. Your tune offline, works online just as well. Damage in all areas. Head tracking in all areas. All cars can be tuned. All wheels can be changed. All cars can be painted.

Since I want a better racing game, I am glad I got into Forza. Physics, car variation, consistency, online, offline, cusomization, tuning, sounds, and just plain fun is what Forza does. And I dont have to on a certain track, in a certain car, in a certain game mode, to worry about it looking and playing well.

Without live you are missing so much. I played FM3 offline when I got it, and it was fun, but nothing compared to online.

Rivals against friends and your Car Club, is worth xbox live gold by itself.

I'm noticing a trend here,Most if not all petrol heads play and enjoy both games as well as others. And most of them post true unbiased opinions about both games.
It's really a good time for racing game fans. We got F1 2011, GT5 Spec II + DLC, Forza 4 + November Speed pack within a few months. We should all be happy.

Without live you are missing so much. I played FM3 offline when I got it, and it was fun, but nothing compared to online.

Rivals against friends and your Car Club, is worth xbox live gold by itself.
It probably is, but i have neither friends nor car club. My reallife friends are not into racing games unfortunatly. Most just play massively online role playing games. I am used to pay for playing online, just for me gold membership doesn't pay of, because most of my time playing games is spent on PC. I had about 3 or 4 months of gold membership during playing Forza 3 although, but without any friends it was just not worth it.

Last edited:
Back