FM2 Nurburgring

• Thread starter SouL
  • 89 comments
Okay, I know there's a serious discussion going on here. And probably my question will just be burried in the rubble of all the heated flame. But! I saw the thread heading and thought this'd be a good question to ask here.

I have driven Numerous Virtual Laps of the Ring' in different games. Right from GT4 (that being my first virtual drive of the ring), to Enthusia, PGR3, FM1, FM2 (Which btw, I did not find AS NARROW and FLAT, playing it on Live AS I did playing it offline). etc..

Now the question! :
I plan to goto the Ring once in my lift time (and that too soon). And because I may have only a few laps go, I want to do it good and fast (not insanely game speed fast, but still fast enough). So which game version of the Track should I keep in mind and drive, as all drive and feel a little different from each other. If I drive too fast keeping PGR / FM or FM2 version in my mind, will I end up dead, or badly injured or WORSE ... WRECKING THE CAR???
GT4 version Track, right?? - See, end of discussion. Next Topic Please! :P
(sorry for being an idiot, I just couldnt help but see the funny side of this discussion, please dont flame me)!

With a track like the 'Ring, I'd never suggest it. It'll be a waste of time as you may get caught stuck in traffic half the time, plus, the track experience is just too different from the game. There's too many elements in 'Ring's area to set it apart. I suggest doing one lap at an ok pace, then giving it a bit more speed every next lap when you go to the track.

And bring lots of money. Those Germans love da money for that track. :D

I agree the same thing can be said about driving, but I don't use video games as a simulation. I use them the way I would watch a movie, I need entertainment and the console provides me it.

I agree the same thing can be said about driving, but I don't use video games as a simulation. I use them the way I would watch a movie, I need entertainment and the console provides me it.

Well, I'm a bit on the fence, but I could easily see using a game to get an understanding of a track's layout (a closed circuit, not one used by everyone often). I agree, I'd never use it as an actual way to drive in real life, though.

Joey, the key here is that Forza 2 is a sim, not an arcade game where if it sounds fun, it's plausable to be included. A sim is supposed to be realistic. If I didn't enjoy sims for being realistic I wouldn't spend so much time playing sims and I'd spend far more time playing Need for Speed and Burnout. Now I completely understand the point of playing games for entertainment, but if that entertainment is a sim, then surely realsim should be high on the list of providing that entertainment as it is mine. If it isn't, then why choose a sim in the first place.

Yet you still haven't countered several points, a common thing for people on that fast losing side of a debate.

It's like someone saying X is better than Y, someone else asking why, the reply is simply beause it is. They ask why again, they get the same response. That's why your losing this, beause you keep saying the same thing over and over. People have made points to counter what your saying but your not adjusting what your responses. Your simply repeating yourselves and seemingly ignoring thoes counter arguments.

I'd give you +rep if the forum would let me. 100% brilliant post. And especially the point in bold. Good, the old Blazin' is back! 👍
Thank you for proving my point even further.

See, I've used GT4 to analyze my own driving styles. Took me a while to fully realize how much I trail braked and so on.

The Nurb is a very important track to me because it is more like a windy road than a race course. I love rally racing, touge, and general racing on real roads. The Nurb in GT4, with its bumps and elevation changes provides the feeling of that. Its a unique feeling to get in a car... those of you that have taken cars to high speeds on windy narrow roads know what I mean. The bumps, the odd cambers, elevation changes that make you nervous going into a corner because you know your car is going to lift a little right before.

These challenges don't exist in FM2. Its just a longer circuit basically. I'm not saying its a bad track, but its not the Ring. A race track that FM2 has that uses the Ring as a basis. I found Laguna SECA more interesting, and I normally avoid it in GT4 because it is a complete circuit track.

For me, this is enough to curb my desire to get an XBOX 360 and FM2. I was willing to overlook it not having my car, the Mk1 MR2. But now with the bland feeling of FM2's Nurb, I'd only have interest in online play, and I don't have the time or patience to deal with Xbox live kids.

If you don't want to buy a system based on one game you are seriously missing out. It's like me with the PS3, I can't afford one right now and I know I'm missing out on some pretty cool games like the Formula 1 one.

What? He agrees with what I say so he's wrong?
No, if you read the other quote then it should make sense that he's once again avoided all the counter argumets without making a single effort to address them and then he'll winge that he's just being ganged up on. Nothing to do with what you posted.

Why do you have to get so serious and nitpicky OVER A GOD DAMN GAME?!?!?!?!?

This is the same site that has about a billion threads moaning about the things wrong with pretty much every Gran Turismo game.

I must admit though I am kinda dissapointed in the nurbs recreation in FM2 tho. Mainly the damn thing is waaay too smooth in FM2, like diego the most of my time in GT4 was spent on the ring and even after 2 years I would sometimes get caught out by offcamber bits of road and bumps in the tarmac. In FM2 it's just too damn flat and I can go flat out in sections that in GT4 i'd have to be a bit more careful due to the surface.

If you don't want to buy a system based on one game you are seriously missing out. It's like me with the PS3, I can't afford one right now and I know I'm missing out on some pretty cool games like the Formula 1 one.

Thing is, I don't buy alot of video games... at least not new. I've purchased, in the 3 years I've had a PS2... 5 games. GT3, GT4, Kingdom Hearts 2, Automodelista, and Soul Calibur II. I have Kingdom Hearts 1 because my bro gave it to me, and Madden something or another because it was included in the PS2. I've never played it.

Basically, I'll get a console for a game, and then a few other games that I find interesting. The only game I am looking forward to coming out soon is Metroid Prime 3, corruption, for Wii.

And Forza 2 being the only game I've had much interest in on the XBOX 360, its a fairly major factor in me deciding on whether to get one.

Well I gave it another go at the Ring after my first impression, and I have to say I've changed my mine alot. I guess I just drove to slow and a car that was to slow, or jumped to fast to a conclusion :) I took a Focus ST and an Elise gave it some stick, and now the bumps on the track comes more alive. So the track isn't a smooth as I taught at first. Infact the car got quite unsettled on some bumps.

I also think maybe because the physics and so much more feedback from the car compared to GT4 doesn't make you feel so much on edge at the Ring?

When it comes to the layout, I'm not so disapointed anymore, because again pushing really hard in a faster car made some more challenging than first impression. Still corners like Angst Kurve seem very easy, and I miss the rumble stones in Whipperman (I think it's called) that I love to runover.

Infact I think I'll be quite happy pushing stock cars around the Ring, and that's all that matters :)

Well I gave it another go at the Ring after my first impression, and I have to say I've changed my mine alot. I guess I just drove to slow and a car that was to slow, or jumped to fast to a conclusion :) I took a Focus ST and an Elise gave it some stick, and now the bumps on the track comes more alive. So the track isn't a smooth as I taught at first. Infact the car got quite unsettled on some bumps.

I also think maybe because the physics and so much more feedback from the car compared to GT4 doesn't make you feel so much on edge at the Ring?

When it comes to the layout, I'm not so disapointed anymore, because again pushing really hard in a faster car made some more challenging than first impression. Still corners like Angst Kurve seem very easy, and I miss the rumble stones in Whipperman (I think it's called) that I love to runover.

Infact I think I'll be quite happy pushing stock cars around the Ring, and that's all that matters :)

I don't know the corner names... but yeah. Even the small things like the grass-crete at the edge of the track that's missing takes away from the experience. Is Whipperman the long series of fast corners before the first Carousel? There's that one area where there's grass-crete near the right side railing. I often take the car right in there before braking to take the upcoming left hander.

By the way. Am I the only one that notices that nearly all the cars have no front spring compression under braking? It's a bit.... weird.

Joey D, you just didnt understand what I was trying to say, did you?
Anyway,
What I meant was, I am NOT going to hammer the throttle every chance I get, like I do in the game. I just want to learn the basics, the racing line, the intensity of the curves, the curves ahead, the braking points and braking intensity etc. I pretty much am just going to cruise around as far as the pace goes. But still having GT4's version in mind will atleast make me fear-ful to some of the turns, which may seem easy but are really tricky (as even seen in the many incar videos of the ring I have seen.. Now videos dont tell you the intensity, until you compare it with the game version yourself).

I defintely know you cannot compare anything virtual with reality. Hi-fi Simulators are different (ones that NASA uses for Shuttle launch and landing), similar high profile groups using simulators for different purpose, they are different. Games are merely for entertainment. But there is some bit of credit u should give to some of these devs.
I know I can vouch for them, because a friend's son (who was 11 at the time), used to kick me n my friend's time trial times in GT4 quite easily and trust me we're fast, but he was always marginally quicker, in GT4 (and GT3 too) And this was only with DS2 controller. We got him some ****ty assed wheel and stuff for GTR on the PC and he was pretty decent at that too (used to spin out a lot, though, with all assists off)..
We put him in a Go-Kart and today after 3 years he is driving Formula 800s here in India. (these are really powerful forumla cars for anyone. They're powered by a very highly tuned 800cc engines and are capable of taking corners at 180k+ speeds. And he can handle it well. And his basics?? (NO RACING SCHOOLS NOTHING, only GT4 and he's taking part in national under 19 championships, which on it's own is HUGE!!). Even though racing in India is still very limited and not many under19 kids are driving are quality drivers, this still is pretty huge, coz when I tried to go around the track in that F800 car, it was SCARY, still I was just 3 seconds behind the fastest laptime on that track with that car.. (again my basics, video games ONLY).. With video games you get a basic idea of Braking (not to jamm on them and when to do so, like NOT while turning in, just b4 u start turning u start easing off the brakes), hitting the APEX right and gradually accelerating and NOT to spin the wheels) etc.. All of this, people like us learnt from games. The people on the track were stunned to see me drive like that considering my only REAL background was on a Karts. I have done fast Rotax Karts too, but this was something else. Although I can say one thing. The View from the cockpit and the vibrations and the G force ofcourse... is what NO game can ever represent..

My opinion:

In my time with the Nurburgring from PGR2 on up, I'd have to rate the FM2 version of the track at about an 80%. Its not enough to make me avoid the track, but it was enough to disappoint me just a bit after my first time around.

The thing I noticed right away was the odd lengths of some of the sections of the tracks. Assuming that GT4 is the most accurate representation of the 'Ring that we have today, sections of the track, particularly after what follows the hill (whatever thats called) threw me off. They all felt too long, and seemed like they were at odd angles.

...But still, the corner with the radio tower that follows shortly always seems to collect my car somehow...

Either way, the track isn't exactly right, but its better than what we had in FM1, and thats a start. Sure, I love the details of GT4, but FM2 keeps me happy. I still enjoy PGR3 on the 'Ring, so you can tell how demented my tastes are...

I'm not upset, I'm just a shade of disappointed. But I'll survive, just like the rest of us. It may lack a few of the bumps here and there, but I'm not dying to experience them. The track may be a bit wide, but it doesn't ruin the experience overall.

I'd give it 80%, and thats good enough for now.

---

...Although, someone did mention Laguna Seca, and I'd agree; That track has become a lot more interesting with the more realistic changes they made...

Gotta agree with the good Laguna Seca changes, although I've seen people online completely skip over the sand on the corkscrew and not be penalised in the race (lap time yes, but that doesn't affect position)

You could in theory download a new version of the Ring, but it wouldn't be a track update, it'd be a new track. I don't think we'll be seeing that though.

Well again I have to say I'm more happy with the track now than first impressions. After taking the the Porsche GT3 around for a couple of laps, the bumpy surface shows, and you have to keep the car balanced over them. Hard work putting in a good lap.

You could in theory download a new version of the Ring, but it wouldn't be a track update, it'd be a new track. I don't think we'll be seeing that though.

Maybe they should create an expert version of the track and sell it , I wouldn't mind buying it if its good, so people who think the is no problem with the 'Ring don't need to buy it ...

Maybe they should create an expert version of the track and sell it , I wouldn't mind buying it if its good, so people who think the is no problem with the 'Ring don't need to buy it ...

would never happen though:(

Well again I have to say I'm more happy with the track now than first impressions. After taking the the Porsche GT3 around for a couple of laps, the bumpy surface shows, and you have to keep the car balanced over them. Hard work putting in a good lap.

Yeah. The track is pretty bumpy, which is cool. But does anyone else get the feeling that, even though the car is undulating over the bumps, there's never really a sense of losing control of the car? Sure you can understeer into the barriers. But it seems really hard to spin out for some reason.

Not nitpicking here. Just something I noticed.

I'm getting used to it the more laps I do. I still get angry every time I want to use the kerbs... but can't 'cause they're not there. Haha

...Although, someone did mention Laguna Seca, and I'd agree; That track has become a lot more interesting with the more realistic changes they made...

What changes? I'm a HUGE fan of Laguna Seca. I'd love to see it a bit more realistic in the corkscrew. I, too, see people skip over the sand and get little penalty. Forza 1 you'd slow down a bit, but you could still theoretically enter the corkscrew fast enough to litterally fly over the larger portion of the sand. 95% of the best laptimes for that track that I've done are when I actually do the correct line through the corkscrew and not hit a bit of sand.

So any of you compared your lap times vs real life?

In GT4 I was usually much faster, and in Enthusia I was pretty close or a little faster than real life laptimes.

In Forza 2 I'm much slower and it's gonna be hard getting close to real life laptimes. I know I have a higher speed in some of the fast key corners in Forza 2 compared to the other games.

So what's your guys second opinion on the track? I actually quite enjoy it now. The last time trial in the Porsche 962 sure is a blast. I noticed the best times in the 962 is pretty close to the real life track record of 6:11. Then again we don't have the fear factor :)

If you don't like the way Turn 10 did the track a.) don't buy the game b.) don't race the track.
c.) Don't crow about how stupendous and superior Forza 2 is to other racing games. ;)

However, I must say that even though the FM2 Nurb is almost as bad as in Forza 1, it's still a lot of fun. The whole game rocks, but the fanboys who wet themselves over Forza 2 do give me the rolleyes.

Well i've only driven on the ring in a couple of cars but to me it seems a lot tighter/narrower and a lot more hair raising than it was in FM1, so i'm a fan of it. :)

Back