FM4 and G27/G25 compatibility

• Thread starter Neenor
  • 67 comments
For purely selfish reasons I hope that the Logitech wheels never get supported for the 360. Reason why is because if this happens I guarantee that developers would get lazy and not fully support the Fanatec wheels. I've said it before but for a recap. The Fanatec wheels have 2 additional motors for everything but Force Feedback in addition to the main motor which does the Force Feedback. The xbox's XID fully supports these 3 motors. The Logitech wheels do not have separate motors for rumble , engine vibration, tire effects etc. This added feedback , in my opinion, greatly enhances the driving simulation experience. However, if the Logitech wheels were supported on the 360 there would be no need for developers to go through the hassle supporting the Fanatec's additional motors. They would just make it emulate a G27/25. Need proof? See GT5. It makes the steering wheel SOOOO hollow and toy like when not having that extra feedback.
First ISR noted that Forza 3 had weak rumble probably because of Micosoft Wireless wheel so Forza 3 didn't take advantage of this features. Also NTG 2011 didn't support the Fanatec GT2 until people requested it (and because it the only X360 ffb wheel still being sold) and will be support later in patch 2. So your theory doesn't hold much water since there are examples of the lack of Fanatec support on the X360.

There are by far better options than the logitech wheels out there, so I can't see any reason not to buy the game and get the better wheels if you really want to get into the sim hobby.

Logitech has a lot better customer services than Fanatec which can only be bought online. One advantage of a buying anything in the stores including Logitech wheels if I have a problem I can immediately return it to the store for my money back or exchange. God help you if you got a defected Fanatec product.
X360 seriously needs a descent wheel at a reasonable price that can be bought at a store.

Logitech has a lot better customer services than Fanatec which can only be bought online. One advantage of a buying anything in the stores including Logitech wheels if I have a problem I can immediately return it to the store for my money back or exchange. God help you if you got a defected Fanatec product.
X360 seriously needs a descent wheel at a reasonable price that can be bought at a store.

I have had no issues with Fanatec. However, I have had replaced a Logitech wheel once before because of the quality.

As for Xbox 360 wheels, there are choices....

CSR Racing Wheel for Forza Motorsport 4:
CSR_elite.jpg

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Forza4_Wheels/

MadCatz Xbox 360 Racing Wheel:
47502.jpg

http://www.madcatz.com/wheel

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Racing Wheel for Xbox 360
02_gt2.jpg

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=2302&lang=en

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Racing Wheel for Xbox 360
pwts_front_03.jpg

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=250&lang=en

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel
5803366092_a22d80ca43.jpg

Mad Catz Xbox 360 Racing Wheel
9926531_ra.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mad+Cat...Id=9926531&st=xbox 360 racing wheel&cp=1&lp=1

Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel (discontinued, but can be found at select sites):
51GvtUXbCML.jpg

You forgot the oldest of the bunch.. Logitec FX wheel. Obviously obsolete and hard to come by.

Really wished MS would open up 3rd party wheel support. That way current Logi G series wheel owners can use their wheel and won't complain, legitimately, about having to buy another wheel to work on MS's platform. I have an older PC Logitech wheel (granted it seems to be dead now, but that's not the point) which apparently works on PS3 but won't on 360.

It seems logitech arent prepared to do whats needed to get a wheel on the platform. Yet somehow thats T10's fault? Or Microsofts fault? I think not. Fanatec and madcatz are prepared to jump through the required hoops. Too bad logitech feel they are too good to comply and provide true multiplat wheels.

It seems logitech arent prepared to do whats needed to get a wheel on the platform. Yet somehow thats T10's fault? Or Microsofts fault? I think not. Fanatec and madcatz are prepared to jump through the required hoops. Too bad logitech feel they are too good to comply and provide true multiplat wheels.
So you think Logitech wouldn't want their wheel to work on the X360? Mircosoft has the full say if they want something to work on the X360 just like Sony on the PS3. It's the same Sony allowed any HDD to work with PS3 while Micosoft didn't. There were another example with Il-2 that Sony allow the developers to use PC flight sticks with the PS3 version while Microsoft didn't.

Microsoft obviously have a set of requirements they want a dev to meet before licencing a product, while fanatec and madcatz are happy to do ehats required. Logitech obviously are not. So no, I dont think they want it as bad as other hardware devs obviously do.

On another note, Is that the new club sport shifter and handbrake in the csr pic??? :embarrassed:

Microsoft obviously have a set of requirements they want a dev to meet before licencing a product, while fanatec and madcatz are happy to do ehats required. Logitech obviously are not. So no, I dont think they want it as bad as other hardware devs obviously do.

On another note, Is that the new club sport shifter and handbrake in the csr pic??? :embarrassed:
Except everyone knows Logitech DFGT is the official wheel for GT5/ PS3.

Except its not. Didnt pd remove support of some if its features and name the t500 as the official wheel? Good thing too id hate to be officially represented and judged by a toy

And whats any of that got to do with logitech not being prepared to meet the requirements that other devs are to become a licenced, supported xbox product???

Except its not. Didnt pd remove support of some if its features and name the t500 as the official wheel? Good thing too id hate to be offixially represented and judged by a toy
The same with T500RS. I seriously doubt Microsoft would allow this wheel to be used on the X360 is they refuses even PC devices to be used on their system.

PD initially buggered up the Dial function on the DFGT.

I think it gas since been remedied though.
Not sure tbh.

So you think Logitech wouldn't want their wheel to work on the X360? Mircosoft has the full say if they want something to work on the X360 just like Sony on the PS3.

Microsoft allows others to do it. It's up to logitech to support it.

It's the same Sony allowed any HDD to work with PS3 while Micosoft didn't.

Yet Microsoft let their HDD be portable with any Xbox 360, Sony did not allow their HDD to be portable with any PS3.

Except everyone knows Logitech DFGT is the official wheel for GT5/ PS3.

That has nothing to do with Logitech not licensing their wheels with Microsoft like other companies do.

The same with T500RS. I seriously doubt Microsoft would allow this wheel to be used on the X360 is they refuses even PC devices to be used on their system.

PC devices can be used on their system, as noted above.

Once again, logitech. And seemingly thrustmaster arent prepared to jump through the required hoops to become supported licenced products. Are you really this thick or are you playing dumb? Fanatec and madcatz are prepared to do the extra work for ms licencing and support. Logitech are not. Plain and simple.

Someone mention to Logitech that why they didn't make the g27 work on the X360 like Fanatec did on the Ps3 (emulating a G25 wheel) and their reply was as a much larger company they had to be careful to cross every t and dot every i.

As thomas has mentioned in interviews, fanatec need to purchase the hardware identifier chips from ms to use otherwise the xbox wont send xid data to the device. Logitech cant just "make it work" there are hoops they need to jump through and they obviously arent prepared to do whats required to work with ms and get ms support and licencing. As per your several year old quote from logitechs forum. Thats just pr speak. At the end of the day logitech wont do whats required while other companies will. I suggest people spend the money they saved buying a logitech on some tissues and stop blaming everybody but logitech for something logitech arent prepared to do!

As thomas has mentioned in interviews, fanatec need to purchase the hardware identifier chips from ms to use otherwise the xbox wont send xid data to the device. Logitech cant just "make it work" there are hoops they need to jump through and they obviously arent prepared to do whats required to work with ms and get ms support and licencing. As per your several year old quote from logitechs forum. Thats just pr speak. At the end of the day logitech wont do whats required while other companies will. I suggest people spend the money they saved buying a logitech on some tissues and stop blaming everybody but logitech for something logitech arent prepared to do!

Amen. And like I've said ad nauseum this is one time MS got it right. And they should stick to their guns instead of having the racing experience on the 360 watered down by having Logitech wheels work with the console without the necessary hardware/software needed.

Amen. And like I've said ad nauseum this is one time MS got it right. And they should stick to their guns instead of having the racing experience on the 360 watered down by having Logitech wheels work with the console without the necessary hardware/software needed.

You mean you haven't seen what Microsoft call a wheel in a shape of a horseshoe yet? Microsoft Wireless wheel was one of the most sorry wheels I ever owned so I surely don't see Microsoft high standards when it comes to wheels. Even the first Logitech PS2 ffb wheel were build better the MWW. MY MWW has some serious play in the wheel.

Last edited:
You mean you haven't seen what Microsoft call a wheel in a shape of a horseshoe yet? Microsoft Wireless wheel was one of the most sorry wheels I ever owned so I surely don't see Microsoft high standards when it comes to wheels. Even the first Logitech PS2 ffb wheel were build better the MWW. MY MWW has some serious play in the wheel.

The Microsoft Wheel was not a bad wheel, if you got a good one. Most people got a good one but those who didn't there were problems. One problem which is for everyone but depends if you're heavy handed or not is the shifters. All that aside I guess I need to repeat what I've said a hundred times because you definitely aren't addressing what I'm talking about.

First off don't even mention the horseshoe wheel as I've never commented on/owned/used or whatever that particular device. This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about

The way MS does the force feedback is a great theory , when coupled with adequate hardware that theory becomes fantastic practice. The Logitech/PS3 implementation uses one motor to simulate everything. Rumble, force feedback, effects and anything else is the sole responsibility of the one motor (yes some logitechs have two motors but these motors are really one as they are acting together to do the same thing). Microsoft decided to use one motor for the actual force feedback and two smaller motors to simulate everything else. Rumble, braking effects, engine vibration and all is simulated with the 2 other separate motors. This has a number of effects. First it simulates effects that the Logitechs just aren't capable of doing. Second it makes the effects "clearer" to the user. They are more pronounced and distinct in play than what one motor could do own it's own. This implementation, in my opinion adds so much more to the immersion factor that when going back to other methods they just feel hollow and dead.

It's Microsoft's XID versus the industry standard HID. In this instance, for my personal pleasure, XID wins.

EDIT: Now why am I adamant that the Xbox stick with this stance? Because if developers get a chance to be lazy and get away with it, they will. Example: See GT5.
There's no way in H E double hockey sticks that Kaz, the dev team or anyone who had a hand in GT5 didn't know that the Fanatec wheels were capable of this yet the game does not use these motors at all. They treat the Fanatecs that are capable of doing this like every other standard wheel.

Last edited:
Zoom!Zoom!

Opinion noted. Not everyone agrees though.

EDIT: Now why am I adamant that the Xbox stick with this stance? Because if developers get a chance to be lazy and get away with it, they will. Example: See GT5.
There's no way in H E double hockey sticks that Kaz, the dev team or anyone who had a hand in GT5 didn't know that the Fanatec wheels were capable of this yet the game does not use these motors at all. They treat the Fanatecs that are capable of doing this like every other standard wheel.

Again X360 version of NTG 2011 as of now has no Fanatec wheel support.

t.o. while I completely agree with you I have to say you're wasting your time and energy posting your thoughts here. You might as well be trying to explain evolution to the pope.

Again X360 version of NTG 2011 as of now has no Fanatec wheel support.
And that has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about but I'm sure you'll enlighten us.

t.o. while I completely agree with you I have to say you're wasting your time and energy posting your thoughts here. You might as well be trying to explain evolution to the pope.
I'm starting to agree with you.

Zoom I can only tell you to give Fanatec another chance. Obviously you had a bad experience with them so I can understand your frustration if that's the case but I would suggest you give them another chance. I, and the others I've played with, have had nothing but great times with the wheels. Not saying I haven't heard some friends have issues but they get sorted and their back up and running and they ALL say they wouldn't trade the wheels for anything in the world. What exactly happened to you with the wheels?

Does anyone know if there is any news on this? i.e. whether Logitech wheels will be supported?

They wont unless Logitech makes a new wheel that is supported it simply wont work without a XCM and even then it wont work properly. The G25/27 wont work with any xbox games.

Back