FM4 Autumn Launch plus Boxart,content reveal..

• Thread starter vkss
  • 227 comments
Rims looks like they don't belong in the pictures...

The better it looks, the more obvious the flaws.

You're right. One thing I thought was good about Forza was even though the graphics weren't super stunning they were consistent and when you have that you have a believable environment. When you have things looking great on one level and something(s) looking far less in the same environment it not only takes away but actually brings down the whole immersion of the game. Take GT5's shadow on cars and in cockpit view. Totally killed the look of the game no matter how nice the graphics are. Then going from standards to premiums and having them racing in the same race just kept reminding you you're in a game.

I guess if something needs to be taken away from, at least in-race, rims would probably make the most sense being as typically during a race you shouldn't see rims as much as any other part of the car. During replays though it could be a killer since you're probably looking at the rims ALOT during replays. Hopefully this is still work-in-progress stuff and they get the attention they need.

Ignoring the whole kinect sales pitch, it looks like the game has the exact same FoV issue that FM1, 2 and 3 have making the tracks seem like they're 3.5 million miles longer then they actually are...

I don't know what to say on this except again I fall back on if it feels like driving in real life then I'm not affected by it if it's even an issue. 3.5 million miles longer , not quite getting that affect. Maybe you're playing games that skew tracks into feeling like their 3.5 million miles to close.

They don't look right.

And seriously, don't bother trying to say they do. Everyone I've shown the pictures too immediately points the rims out as looking "out of place"

I agree about the rims, to a point. The Honda rims are on point so no issue there. They don't take away. Some of the others are too dark to tell. But the BMW and Subaru could use some work. With the Subaru being the one that stands out the most. I'm pretty sure they can do something about this before release though for still pics. In motion who knows what they look like so we'll have to wait to see.

The above video is nice to see. Should at least put to bed the idiotic idea that FM4 was going to be Kinect or Controller pad based only. LMAO.

I don't know what to say on this except again I fall back on if it feels like driving in real life then I'm not affected by it if it's even an issue. 3.5 million miles longer , not quite getting that affect. Maybe you're playing games that skew tracks into feeling like their 3.5 million miles to close.

I ran into these videos ages ago.
Default FoV
Adjusted FoV

It was the same story with FM3, it's going to be the same with FM4.

The way out of whack FoV just ruins any sense of track accuracy just so it can make the casuals feel like they're going fast.

They don't look right.

And seriously, don't bother trying to say they do. Everyone I've shown the pictures too immediately points the rims out as looking "out of place"
I was just hoping for a succinct explanation, since it's not so obvious to me.

Last edited:
Saw the head tracking video released today and I have to say I might be excited to use my Kinect with it. Before I was highly doubtful of it since I didn't care for the driving part w/Kinect. It looks like it works well. I'm now craving for more info so I can't wait for E3!

The wheels look fine to me. I don't understand what the complaint is here.. They don't look out of place and are good representations of the wheels from the actual cars. At least it looks like they modeled the bolts for those who want as much detail as possible, unlike some 'premium wheels' in GT which are just a texture for the bolts.

Also, the FOV trick in Forza 3 let's you fine tune and adjust the viewpoint inside the cockpit. There's a ton of variability in it. It's not just 2 or 3 settings and you're done. Find the one you like and be done or do like me, who doesn't normally use the cockpit view.. use hood cam.

Ignoring the whole kinect sales pitch, it looks like the game has the exact same FoV issue that FM1, 2 and 3 have making the tracks seem like they're 3.5 million miles longer then they actually are...

Good thing it does have the same FoV. For the majority, they don't see it the way you do.

They don't look right. And seriously, don't bother trying to say they do. Everyone I've shown the pictures too immediately points the rims out as looking "out of place"

They do look right.

Needless to say, the Kinect implementation looks ****ing awesome!

There have been a couple of trailers I think, as well some official comments on some websites but as far as I’m aware no comment saying it is exclusive to Xbox 360. You can see in the articles above, not one word in it says it is exclusive to Xbox 360.

The first line of the first paragraph of the Forza 4 webpage (underlined so you don't miss it):

The ground-breaking Forza Motorsport series will return to Xbox 360 in fall 2011, featuring support for Kinect as well as the classic controls you’ve come to expect from the Forza series.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/ForzaMotorsport4/default.htm

The wheels look fine to me. I don't understand what the complaint is here.. They don't look out of place and are good representations of the wheels from the actual cars. At least it looks like they modeled the bolts for those who want as much detail as possible, unlike some 'premium wheels' in GT which are just a texture for the bolts.

Also, the FOV trick in Forza 3 let's you fine tune and adjust the viewpoint inside the cockpit. There's a ton of variability in it. It's not just 2 or 3 settings and you're done. Find the one you like and be done or do like me, who doesn't normally use the cockpit view.. use hood cam.

The wheels colors look "off" on some of these cars in the pic and kinda catches the eye. Is it GT5 shadows bad? No, but in those stills they could use just a tad more work. It's really one of those things were if you're not looking for it you wont really see it. If you're looking for something to gripe at FM4 you'll see it right away with a smile and if you're critically just looking at the pic it'll eventually catch your eye pretty fast.

Now if someone says ALL of the wheels are bad then that's just garbage for obvious reasons. That will pretty much weedout those who are looking to flame versus those being critical.

As for the FOV thing I forgot I early on corrected that so too me it's a non-issue since it's well known how to adjust to one's liking.

Now if someone says ALL of the wheels are bad then that's just garbage for obvious reasons. That will pretty much weedout those who are looking to flame versus those being critical.

As for the FOV thing I forgot I early on corrected that so too me it's a non-issue since it's well known how to adjust to one's liking.

You're right, saying all the wheels look wrong is, well, wrong. For example, the CRZs wheels look right but the Cooper Works, Subaru and Alpha all look wrong due to lighting and texture choices.

On another note, the Alphas chrome mirrors :drool:

I was hopeful of the implementation of head tracking with kinect, but it seems off. And seeing it in action worries me that it'll slow people down more than anything.

Judging from the short clips of gameplay in that video, the physics still seem floaty. They better not be. :grumpy: I was really hoping this would be an alternative Sim I could use.

I'll have to wait for E3 to see FM4's new features to make up my mind.

It looks awesome. Still a not a chance I would purchase it until they support Logitech wheels.

You are losing out MS and T10, I'd also need a new xbox to play on....

Care to elaborate? From the 15 seconds or so that shows both the screen and the player at the same time it seems pretty nice to me, just as good as any of the TrackIR stuff I've seen.
He turned his head to the right, quickly, and you can see a lag. So then, he compensates by turning his head to the left ever so slowlier. I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out, but only because I still haven't slept yet. My sleeping schedule is completely screwy. Gotta compensate, myself.

Either way is correct to be honest. At this point it's well-known the 360 doesn't support HID, so the lack of Logitech wheel support in any official capacity is on Logitech now.

Am I the only one that found it funny how this video showed off Kinect when the player was using an obsolete MS 360 wheel? Unless that was the madcatz new wheel of course.. but it looked like the MS 360 one.

Was that FM4? It looked more like 3.

If so, then it looks like they are using the same naff lighting engine from FM3 :/

What happened to the "improved visuals"?

Post here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156
and try not troll FM section

👍

Wow, double standards much? I notice that when GT5 receives the same treatment it gets conveniently overlooked:
Wow Forza, where premium comes as standard.

Looks fantastic. Great draw distances too.

The bottom line is that Forza's lighting engine hasn't improved since the 2nd iteration, and you're doing the series no favours in refusing to accept that.

No double standard infamousDee.. you're of the few who comes here with an agenda, and don't act like we haven't noticed ;)

Besides... There's only been 1 iteration after FM2..

FM3's lighting was fairly the same though, that I'll agree but the game added a whole lot on top of FM2. From what we've seen w/FM4, it looks like a major step in the right direction.

Back