For the Ford Fans: New Shelby GT Photos

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 43 comments
  • 1,745 views

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
Good news for you guys:

Leftlanenews.com
Ford has approved plans for a retail version of the new GT-H Hertz Mustang, according to Automotive News. Last week, the Detroit News reported that Ford would announce a new Shelby model this week. It turns out that model will be a consumer version of the 325-horsepower Hertz Mustang rent-a-racer. According to Auto News, the car will use the 'Shelby GT' moniker. It will be available in black or white with silver stripes.

At a dealer meeting in Las Vegas — where Ford revealed plans for the Shelby GT — Ford also said would deliver production versions of the Ford Fairlane and Lincoln MKS concept in early 2008.

Ford's Mark Fields is expected to disclose more information on production plans at speech scheduled for Wednesday.

So that would be:

ford_mustang_shelby_gth_top.jpg

A production version of the GT-H, most people will call it a GT350.

alt01.jpg

The Ford Fairlane, probably will use a different name, will replace the Freestar.

enclosure..ee8f139

The Lincoln MKS, the successor to the Town Car and the true MK name.
 
That GT-H looks hot!
 
That Fairlane concept looks a bit like Range Rover Sport.
 
IMHO, I think they should stick to history and just make the GT350-Hs available in a couple years.
 
Despite the Chrysler-ish look on the Fairlane, I think it would probably sell well, and looks like a genuinely interesting cross-over (semi-van, semi-SUV) vehicle.

The MKS? Please, Lord, let it at least be AWD and not FWD. If it shares the drivetrain of the Mazdaspeed 6 and has the new 3.5 liter V6, I doubt many will complain as much as with the Zephyr.

If it has RWD, people will be ecstatic.
 
The MKS isn't the Zephyr, that would be the MKZ. The MKS is an all-new model designed to take on the Cadillac STS and Acura RL by using a 4.4L 315 BHP V8, a 6-speed automatic, and all-wheel-drive.
 
Ah... then by AWD and 4.4 V8, we're probably talking about a transverse mount based on the S80? That means people will still b*tch about it not being a longitudinal mount platform.

Lets hope that Ford can eke some performance brownie points out of the car.
 
Did you know they're debuting a restyled Five Hundred at the NAIAS in January?

Is the brand essentially conceding defeat?
 
Only Fords I've ever liked were Mustangs. Well, maybe some Foci (plural of Focus) and think the Ka is pretty nice. The GT-H IS a sweet Mustang. I'd probably go for a Midnight Blue and white stripe combination like the Ford GT. The black and (I guess) tan or almond stripes isn't bad either. I don't know if it's an aftermarket thing, but I've seen some 2005 Mustangs with the auxillary lights and Mustang logo done up like the 1960s Mustangs that I love so much. How can you not be excited over the GT-H if you like sports cars (or at least American cars in general)?

I thought the Fairlane (from the past) was a considerable sports car or something. I found this website: { http://www.fordfairlane.com/ }. The site features pictures of the older Fairlane from the late 1960s. It also features the Torino in pictures. Now Ford's decided to revive the Fairlane as a minivan or SUV. Kind of surprising to revive the Fairlane in this form. Only thing worse would be if Chevrolet decides to make the Camaro (or even the Corvette) into a 150hp FWD car capable of no more than 140 mph. Considering the past with the Fairlane, I say it is a pretty sad deal that with the revival of the modern muscle car that Ford would do this to replace the Freestar. Wow. Freestar didn't last very long. Going to the junkyard with the modern Mercury Maurauder and the 2003 Thunderbird. This thing does look like an American Land Rover. Only that this is... well, bolder (cheap Ford plug). I probably do hope they would change the Fairlane namesake so that the Fairlane muscle car fans don't chant obscenities to Ford.

The Lincoln MKS is last here. Its headlights look like a Mazda 6/Atenza (Japanese name). Lincoln is somewhat on the rise. I liked their Milan model. I sort of like the Milan a little better than this thing here. The MKS is still a nice car.

Out of 100% approval for these models, the...
1.) ...GT-H is getting 100% approval from me.
2.) ...Fairlane (if it will be its final name) gets 70% love from me and maybe 75% with a better name.
3.) ...Lincoln MKS is getting 75% love from me.
4.) ...overall lineup here is getting 80% approval from me.
 
One can only hope. :lol:
 
That restyled Fivehundred, from what I understand, will be recieving the "Gillette" grille and possibly slightly altered headlights and tail lights, essentially making it look more like the Fusion.
 
niky
One can only hope. :lol:

:lol: If we're lucky.

YSSMAN
altered headlights and tail lights, essentially making it look more like the Fusion.

So they're going to make a boring sedan look more like an attractive sedan by putting the one ugly portion on the attractive sedan (the tail lights) onto the boring sedan? I repeat my question... :D
 
This:
alt01.jpg


...is fantastic. And like Viper said it looks very similar to the Range Rover Sport...probably on purpose. The GT-H/GT350 will be welcomed with alot of people buying them. A Mustang with more power always sells well.

The MKS looks fantastic...and I'd NEVER thought I would of said that about a Lincoln product. If it truely is getting AWD+V8 then it should be a decent enough performer.

My approval ratings:

GT-H = 99% (ditch the gold stripes and gold pony door trim)
"Fairlane" = 85% (needs name change badly)
MKS = 90% (this assuming AWD+V8)
 
The Shelby GT (as they say it will be called) will probably have the stripes as an option, but black and gold will only be available on the GT-H cars, not the street model. Or thats the way its supposed to be...
 
M5Power
Did you know they're debuting a restyled Five Hundred at the NAIAS in January?

Is the brand essentially conceding defeat?

I'm not sure what you mean. Is it that the 500 is just so awful that they're not bothering to improve it, or that they're giving in like BMW did with the 7 series and "cleaning" up the design?
 
YSSMAN
The MKS isn't the Zephyr, that would be the MKZ. The MKS is an all-new model designed to take on the Cadillac STS and Acura RL by using a 4.4L 315 BHP V8, a 6-speed automatic, and all-wheel-drive.


This Linc would be more in direct competition with the Acura that the Caddy. The only advantage I see is the Yamaha V8 in the Linc over the Acura's V6
 
red70mach1
This Linc would be more in direct competition with the Acura that the Caddy. The only advantage I see is the Yamaha V8 in the Linc over the Acura's V6

Equipment wise the Lincoln would be good competition for the RL, but price wise, it's going to be shooting with the STS V8 AWD. There really isn't that huge of a difference there as they would be about the same size, both have 315 BHP (the Caddy actually having 320 BHP), and both offer AWD as an option. The Lincoln would one-up the Caddy with the extra cog in the gearbox, and I'd call the styling a draw.

All of this would make a great comparo in the next few years, and I can't wait to hear more about it.
 
I just can't understand why so many people are hating on the Five Hundred...it is not a bad car. Just because its slow doesn't mean its a bad car. :grumpy:
 
It's just... sooo.... boring looking.

You release your first new big sedan in years, right? At a time when the Mustang is making mucho money, Chrysler is going through another RWD revolution, and GM is struggling to get back to RWD.

Now it's got to compete in a big, crowded marketplace with powerful new imports, too.

What does Ford do? Do they put in V8s and economy V6s? Do they match the flash and flair of the Mustang?

Nope. They release a gimungous, anodyne, anonymous car. With one of the worst (in terms of economy and power) V6s in the world. It's decent, it's liveable... it's... booooooring.

It's not a bad car, per se... but the blunder on engine choice and design is unforgiveable. You don't set out to market to the conservative set. You market to the hip youngsters, even if the car is conventional and practical underneath... and then the oldsters will take a look at it, think: "Hey, that's good value." and then get in on it. That way, you target a wide demographic (like with Scion). Ford just went straight for the second set to the exclusion of everyone else.
 
3-Wheel Drive
I love that Mustang, and that black/gold stripe paintjob is just :drool: :drool:

That is a GT-H. The "Shelby GT" will not have gold stripes. I personally think this is a cheap move. Looks like another attempt to cash in some more from something that was going to be a very limited production.
 
Okay, so here is what we know about the Shelby GT:

Leftlanenews.com
Ford today announced the 2007 Ford Shelby GT as a part of its accelerated "Way Forward" program. The 4.6-liter, 325-horsepower Ford Shelby GT will occupy a niche between the Mustang GT and the Ford Shelby GT500 both in terms of performance and appearance. It is a retail version of the Ford GT-H – the Shelby and Ford Racing-prepared Mustang developed for Hertz that was the surprise hit of the 2006 New York International Auto Show. "We know the combination of Mustang and Shelby is magic, and we proved it again when we revealed the Ford Shelby GT-H for Hertz. The car received such rave reviews that our dealers and customers asked for a version of their own," Fields explained. "We listened, and we’re delivering." The Ford Shelby GT will be on sale in January. Ford will reveal full product details this Sunday on its "Bold Moves: The Future of Ford" web-based documentary.

1-ford-shelby-gt.jpg


Things still look good for the car, but I still have to wonder how it is going to slot into the whole lineup. The "base" GT would still run with the "average" 300 BHP 4.6L, the Shelby GT using the Ford Racing parts and having 325 BHP. What about the California Crusier? BOSS? Bullitt? Mach 1?
 
Let me just make some quick comments. That Shelby GT is wicked sick! Paint up one in Midnight Blue Clearcoat Metallic or Sonic Blue Clearcoat Metallic with white or silver stripes and I'll take two.
 
Motor Trend said that every GT-H was modified in the Shelby factory (and there were pictures), not by Ford Racing.

Edit: I still think they should call it a GT-350 and use all of the GT500 performance parts besides the engine and instead tune it to around 375.

Hopefully they will at least equip this one with manual transmissions and be able to turn off the traction control (neither of which are possible in the Hertz).
 
Considering the Shelby GT will likely be available with a sitck, and the GT-H isn't, I'm apt to liking the idea.
 
Ebiggs
Motor Trend said that every GT-H was modified in the Shelby factory (and there were pictures), not by Ford Racing.

Yes, they are built by Shelby in his Las Vegas factory, but the parts that are used to modify the car came from the Ford Racing catalogue, so technically, you could build yourself your own Shelby GT and probably save a few bucks.

Edit: I still think they should call it a GT-350 and use all of the GT500 performance parts besides the engine and instead tune it to around 375.

Hopefully they will at least equip this one with manual transmissions and be able to turn off the traction control (neither of which are possible in the Hertz).

The high-po models are still in the pipeline as the Mach 1, Bullitt, and BOSS. Word is that a 380 BHP version using the BOSS 290 engine from Australia could happen, but there hasn't been an offical word as of yet.

As for traction control and whatnot, yes those will be there, but it can be completely disabled in the Shelby GT. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if every single one came with the Aisin (or was it Getrag?) 5-speed.
 
Ebiggs
That is a GT-H. The "Shelby GT" will not have gold stripes. I personally think this is a cheap move. Looks like another attempt to cash in some more from something that was going to be a very limited production.
I know that it is the Hertz model (after all, gold is their color). All I was saying was that I happen to like the gold and black paintjob. It looks good, and would be even nicer on a non-rental car (even if you would have to paint it at bodyshop).
 
I've seen Mustang GTs with aftermarket gold stripes to make them look like the old Shelby Rent-a-Racers... Although, they've been doing it to V6 "Pony Package" cars too...
 
YSSMAN
Things still look good for the car, but I still have to wonder how it is going to slot into the whole lineup. The "base" GT would still run with the "average" 300 BHP 4.6L, the Shelby GT using the Ford Racing parts and having 325 BHP. What about the California Crusier? BOSS? Bullitt? Mach 1?

"Mustang Shelby GT" is awkward, and an extra 25HP is not much. The original GT500 was built for the dragstrip, and the original GT350 was aimed for the road course. Why not repeat things, since they already did half of the repeat with the new GT500? This should have had a N/A 5.4L putting out 350HP , with IRS optional. Ford did such a great job reinventing the GT40, they could do a great job of the original Shelby's if only they thought just a little more.

Or maybe this is just a marketing exercise, and they really don't care anyway.
 
It pretty much is a marketing thing, I think. They want to make the Mustang fans happy, and now that Shelby is working with Ford again, I'm sure they are going to squeeze every drop of awesome out of him before he dies.

2008 is supposed to be the year that the BOSS 290 V8 (with about 380 BHP) shows up in the Mustang, or atleast thats what they have said in the past. Hopefully the addition of the Camaro and the Challenger will spur the folks at Ford to get their act together, but right now they are so caught up in the fact that they have argueably the hottest car sold in America, they don't belive they can do anything wrong...
 
Back