For the Ford Fans: New Shelby GT Photos

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 43 comments
  • 1,745 views
harrytuttle
I'm not sure what you mean. Is it that the 500 is just so awful that they're not bothering to improve it, or that they're giving in like BMW did with the 7 series and "cleaning" up the design?
That they're already restyling it, assumably conceding the fact that it needs restyling (despite the fact that it's essentially brand new).

JCE3000GT
I just can't understand why so many people are hating on the Five Hundred...it is not a bad car. Just because its slow doesn't mean its a bad car.

Actually I think it's a cautionary tale of how to mis-read trends in any economic market and I think this vehicle should be laughed at by everyone. It's slow in a time with this segment is fast, it's got one engine when the hot thing to do is release several (or at least one good one), it's down on power, up on price, and straddles the midsize/large segments precariously, falling into neither. Absolutely an awful vehicle in a time when Ford needed a good one.
 
Skim past the pictures quickly and the writing on the floor next to the Hertz 'Stang reads "Car Rectum".
 
M5Power
Actually I think it's a cautionary tale of how to mis-read trends in any economic market and I think this vehicle should be laughed at by everyone. It's slow in a time with this segment is fast, it's got one engine when the hot thing to do is release several (or at least one good one), it's down on power, up on price, and straddles the midsize/large segments precariously, falling into neither. Absolutely an awful vehicle in a time when Ford needed a good one.

The thing is, Ford allready said they didn't do good enough and have promised to improve the car. They are supposed to be adding a 230-250 BHP 3.5L Duratec V6 to the mix with the new 6T70E Ford variant that they co-designed with GM. That should fix some problems, as outside of the engine and transmission, I generally think the Fivehundred isn't too bad of a car. It looks pretty nice, drives quite well, and has acres of space available inside the car, and in the trunk.

...I also wouldn't be surprised to see a V8 come along eventually. Given that the S80 and XC90 that the Fivehundred shares it's platform with both use the old SHO's Yahmaha-designed V8, it could happen in the Ford as well...
 
YSSMAN
The thing is, Ford allready said they didn't do good enough and have promised to improve the car. They are supposed to be adding a 230-250 BHP 3.5L Duratec V6 to the mix with the new 6T70E Ford variant that they co-designed with GM. That should fix some problems, as outside of the engine and transmission, I generally think the Fivehundred isn't too bad of a car. It looks pretty nice, drives quite well, and has acres of space available inside the car, and in the trunk.

...I also wouldn't be surprised to see a V8 come along eventually. Given that the S80 and XC90 that the Fivehundred shares it's platform with both use the old SHO's Yahmaha-designed V8, it could happen in the Ford as well...

Or, it could just be replaced outright by the upcoming Falcon. The future of this so uncertian it's not funny.
 
I take the Ford Fairlane is slow in the lanes; maybe that is why it’s called Fairlane lol. But the Lincoln MKS looks too much like a Honda Civic and Accord.
 
M5Power
Actually I think it's a cautionary tale of how to mis-read trends in any economic market and I think this vehicle should be laughed at by everyone. It's slow in a time with this segment is fast, it's got one engine when the hot thing to do is release several (or at least one good one), it's down on power, up on price, and straddles the midsize/large segments precariously, falling into neither. Absolutely an awful vehicle in a time when Ford needed a good one.

Well engine aside, the transmission is really good, it looks good, it's uber comfortable, like YSS said it has a sh**load of space in the cabin, and the next model year will see the new 3.5L V6 with enough power to at least compete. Oh and I forgot to mention it's got AWD, which is a good thing. Granted, the Fusion is just a better car all around...I'd still not count out the Five Hundred...especially if Ford gives it a V8.

Jim Prower
Or, it could just be replaced outright by the upcoming Falcon. The future of this so uncertian it's not funny.

You sir have a brilliant point. 👍
 
JCE3000GT
Well engine aside, the transmission is really good, it looks good, it's uber comfortable, like YSS said it has a sh**load of space in the cabin, and the next model year will see the new 3.5L V6 with enough power to at least compete. Oh and I forgot to mention it's got AWD, which is a good thing. Granted, the Fusion is just a better car all around...I'd still not count out the Five Hundred...especially if Ford gives it a V8.

The real question is, why is the 3.5-liter V6 debuting now, two years after it should've?
 
That is a very good question, and I'd be willing to be it isn't one Ford wants to answer. The funny thing is, when the car first debuted and the editors at the magazines complained about the engine, Ford was quick to point out one was on the way... Now look where we are!
 
Exactly. Not uncommon at Ford. I'm still begging for an answer to the question of why the Fusion has more power than the Five Hundred. They're so incompetent. :rolleyes:
 
Exactly. Not uncommon at Ford. I'm still begging for an answer to the question of why the Fusion has more power than the Five Hundred. They're so incompetent. :rolleyes:

Maybe the AWD components can't handle the torque?
 
With the CVT, it wouldn't surprise me. But with the new GM/Ford 6-speed unit, it is supposed to be able to take up to 260 BHP at the front wheels, but I'm not sure what kind of effect AWD has on it...
 
I just hope they put independent rear suspension in the 350. God knows why they didn't do for the 500. You'd think they would have done it to their "ultimate Mustang" simply for the vast handling advantages. Oh well, they still have opportunities coming up, they've got to be able to put it into at least one Shelby.
 
The high-po models are still in the pipeline as the Mach 1, Bullitt, and BOSS. Word is that a 380 BHP version using the BOSS 290 engine from Australia could happen, but there hasn't been an offical word as of yet.
Nonsense. Then it would just be another Mustang that was faster than that pig of a GT500. If they don't put IRS in this "Shelby GT," Ford is dead to me as a company.
On the 500 fiasco, the car was universally lauded as one of the most boring looking, driving and feeling cars made by Ford since ever. The Ford Fusion shames it in every way, and it was stupid to even release the Five Hundred. That being said, the 500 would be a great car if anyone cared about the Ford Tuarus anymore.
 
More Shelby GT photos?

7-ford-shelby-gt.jpg

3-ford-shelby-gt.jpg

9-ford-shelby-gt.jpg

8-ford-shelby-gt.jpg


Well, its still a good looking car, and you'd be an idiot to say the car wouldn't sell well. Notice that the high-po parts are from Ford Racing and not Shelby himself, but atleast you're hooked up with some special trim and a Shelby autograph....
 
Back