For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 758 comments

For those that object to GTS or GT7 having Std Cars, what is your reason?

• I am offended that PD is going to sell a game that includes assets they created 10 years ago

Votes: 205 49.5%
  • PD needs to focus their resources on other areas of GT7 that have been lacking in prior releases

Votes: 111 26.8%
  • STD. Cars will lower the overall content quality of other parts of GT7.

Votes: 200 48.3%
  • I like to race using in-cockpit view mode, a black silhouette dilutes the immersive experience.

Votes: 138 33.3%
  • They will take up space in my garage for the cars I personally want.

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • I don't have a good reason, I just don't want them.

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 39 9.4%

• Total voters
I don't know if I speak for myself or the rest of you guys, but yeah, if all / most of the standards get premiumized and with fully modeled interiors I'd be happy. All of the racing games nowadays forget about the cars of the past. I really do want to race with a 90's sedan rather than all the new ones. Don't get me wrong, I like the new cars a lot too. But let's not forget real life favorites that you can actually buy / already own. In my case, the Nissan Primera (not the ugly P12 one) and Infiniti G20. Those cars, be it the P10 or P11 we had in GT1/2, those cars are gems. There are a lot of old cars enthusiasts like me would like to drive rather than all the fancy schmancy new Lamborghinis and Ferraris and I don't know what. Regular cars you can buy and own IRL, be it old ones, new ones, I want them premiumized.

Well yeah, if all the Standards were replaced with Premium models in GT Sport, you wouldn't hear any complaints from me either. But there's no way that'll happen. :)

Speaking of games focusing on new cars: according to this, GT6 is actually worse for that than Forza, even though the latter is always (falsely) seen as a modern-supercar-heavy game. Looking at Premiums only, over 76% of them are from 2000 or newer*. Including Standards, it's still 57% of the entire lineup. Vanilla FM6 has a little over 55% of its roster from the same period, while adding DLC in pushes that down fractionally.

The big one for GT6 is the 90's. There are a measly 28 Premiums from the period, representing only 7.43% of the Premium stable. Lumping in the Standards though, and you end up with 299 total, for exactly 26% of the entire garage. Of course, a huge chunk of those will be minor trim differences of RX-7, NSX, GTO, Skyline, and Miata.

Interestingly, GT6 has less cars total from the 50's and earlier than FM6. Looking at just Premiums, it has just more than 1/3. The 70's is also a weak spot, comparatively.

* - It should be noted, PD's habit of not including years on things like fantasy touring cars or the VisionGT's skews this a bit (the counts in the By Decade section are noticeably lower than By Country), but as they're all made-up cars, the point still sort of stands, no?

As for "regular" cars, I don't know if that's even Polyphony's priority anymore, judging by Premiums added to the series since GT5. I'm a big fan too, but looking back at GT1, most of the cars were still performance-oriented, though lower-spec models were there to flesh out the lineups (and back then, required far less work). GT4 went a bit crazy with the concept (the low-spec Xsara?!), and to be honest, I'm not sure how much that'll fly in 2016 with the general gaming population.

No car lineup, no matter how big, will please everybody. So the balancing act that PD has before them isn't an easy one.

P.S. Cheers for modifying the poll. 👍

The fear most people may have is this. If their favorite car isn't upgraded to premium, there's a chance it won't be in future GT titles or any other car games, for that matter.

Yeah, that can be an issue. I still miss the SVX and Mazda Cosmo from the PS1 days, and they haven't really shown up in any other games since. But I'd rather not have them than have them in some outdated form. On the other hand, I love the rarer KPGC110 Skyline GT-R. While the boxier previous model has shown up in other games, it took until just yesterday to finally see the Kenmeri in modern levels of detail.

Premiums offer so many possibilities for personalization that just isn't possible with the old-style modelling of Standards. They also offer a reasonable facsimile of the experience of sitting in the car. For Photomoders, that's a huge boon.

Last edited:
PD should take the standard cars that matter (unique cars, best/latest version of each car) turn them into premium, and ditch the rest. There's no reason to have a bunch of clones of standard cars, having a bunch of copies of the same standard car just for the sake of "increasing" car count is silly imo and give the impression that PD doesn't care about the quality and consistency of their game. PD should focus on quality instead of quantity.
I use cockpit view so it really bothers me to use a car with a blacked out interior, it totally kills the immersion, so much so that I stopped using standard cars and only drive premiums.
Afaik PD has a budget bigger than any other racing game developer, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have a decent selection of premium-only cars in their future games. Same goes for tracks, every track should be premium and have dynamic weather & full 24hr cycle.

I like standard cars, not because they're low quality and nearly all of them have no proper interior view, it's just that I like driving them. I would personally like all the Standard cars upgraded to Premium quality. Of course, it would take ages to upgrade them all, so perhaps releasing a few in each update?

Some of the enhanced Standards (semi-premiums) in GT6 looked quite decent. With slight enhancements maybe subdividing the polygons, I don't mind seeing a most of them.

And I hope these are the Standards Kaz talks about porting to GT7/GTS

20571383935_25c48cf146_c.jpg

20571384025_89fd3eb539_c.jpg

20562449602_4e869fb7ce_c.jpg

19950499643_c548409900_c.jpg

a74TwinRingMotegiRoa.jpg

nocC8i8.jpg

t8pA5T8.jpg

mid-field-raceway_3-jpg.321808

willow-springs-international-raceway-big-willow_4-jpg.292451

ZKNsR9y.jpg

tMaq7fd.jpg

_v061-jpg.87986

Images courtesy goes to people supporting the GT6 Standards thread.

Some of the enhanced Standards (semi-premiums) in GT6 looked quite decent. With slight enhancements I don't mind seeing a most of them.

20571383935_25c48cf146_c.jpg

20571384025_89fd3eb539_c.jpg

20562449602_4e869fb7ce_c.jpg

19950499643_c548409900_c.jpg

a74TwinRingMotegiRoa.jpg

nocC8i8.jpg

t8pA5T8.jpg

mid-field-raceway_3-jpg.321808

willow-springs-international-raceway-big-willow_4-jpg.292451

ZKNsR9y.jpg

tMaq7fd.jpg

_v061-jpg.87986

Also included: Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09, Formula Gran Turismo '04,...

But what I really want is all the Standards upgraded to Premium.

Personally I don't mind if there are "Standard" cars in GTS or GT7, but I would want them to be kept separate in the game. I don't like going to the dealership and having it cluttered with "Standard" models and finding I have to waste time checking whether it has a gallery view. PD would also need to have a clear out of the duplicates as well. The Standard cars could be kept in a separate place like they were in GT5 - if not, then with a bigger car list selecting cars from the Dealership will be even worse than it is now.

I recently played both FM6 and Project Cars on a friends new X Box One and very much enjoyed the absence of duplicates and how in Project Cars you had a choice of eight liveries.

There are a few Standard cars which need to be made premium because of their historical significance such as the Chaparral 2D, 2J, E Type Jaguar, Mini and early Skylines, but most of the rest and especially the duplicates could be ditched. I am worried however that PD have little idea on how to assess the historic significance of cars and also the cars that need saving in order to create a logical and well structured set of championships / career mode. Bearing that in mind it would be better if they kept the standard cars, but put them somewhere else in the game and gave us an event creator so that we can create the championships which ought to be in the game.

I like standard cars, not because they're low quality and nearly all of them have no proper interior view, it's just that I like driving them. I would personally like all the Standard cars upgraded to Premium quality. Of course, it would take ages to upgrade them all, so perhaps releasing a few in each update?
That could work. A monthly DLC pack with 10 or so premiumized standard cars. :D

When did the Formula Gran Turismo turn premium? It's just a standard with interior that doesn't work properly

The Bugatti and (FGT) are already premium.
GT5's FGT is not, and the Veyron is semi-premium, you're probably thinking about the Veyron 16.4 '13, the car which doesn't exist. Or maybe they upgraded it in a GT6 update (See my forum 'Gran Turismo 6 - The Worst Driving Game I Have Ever Played - My Ranty Review of GT6')

Don't want them because they have different physics. If they were to have same physics as Premium cars, then I wouln't care if they were included.

I don't think that sort of thing has a place in such a competitive scenario...

Also, can you imagine a car from GT1 or GT2 racing in a GT6 track? It would stand out of the rest so hard, it would be comic.

I say this because i played FM6 and i've been playing PCars on PS4 a lot and, the level of detail of the cars and around them is just mind boggling...

Last edited:
Someone please come up with a logical statement (Aka not the BS "historic" car catalog) as to why PS2 quality cars should still exist when every other racing game has quality models and sounds. Even though most of the cool cars in the GT series are Standards, it's just inexcusable to have Jagged edges, low poly models, and 256px textures, especially on a console that can produce cars as good looking as Driveclub.

Please.

I'll wait.

IMO all the standard cars should not be included in GTS. I don't really mind the semi-premiums but the bad quality standards need to go. Forza, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars & DRIVECLUB all have up to date, high quality models for the entirety of their car lists, yet 70% (Probably even more than that) of GT6's car list uses 10 year old car models.

Someone please come up with a logical statement (Aka not the BS "historic" car catalog) as to why PS2 quality cars should still exist when every other racing game has quality models and sounds.

I certainly can't. I really hope there are no standard cars in GTS. At the same time, I don't want some of those cars to just be thrown away, for good.

Imagine. A 2017 racing game featuring car models made about 13-14 years ago.

:lol:

Close. Some were made 15 years ago, possibly even earlier (GT3 released in Spring of 2001).

yet 70% (Probably even more than that) of GT6's car list uses 10 year old car models.

64.5%, actually.

I certainly can't. I really hope there are no standard cars in GTS. At the same time, I don't want some of those cars to just be thrown away, for good.

I don't think anybody's advocating for all of them to be tossed forever. I'm sure most of us want to see the more "popular" (a nebulous concept in this case) ones be given the Premium re-do. I'd hope PD has been keeping track of which cars are being used – they keep track of things like miles driven online, so it's not a stretch – and selects some of the stand outs to get the treatment.

While I'm sure there's someone out there, somewhere, that would mourn the loss of the 2003 Honda Element in a future GT installment, I think having it near the bottom of the priority list would be wise, for example.

While I'm sure there's someone out there, somewhere, that would mourn the loss of the 2003 Honda Element in a future GT installment, I think having it near the bottom of the priority list would be wise, for example.

Relevant cars in automotive history, motorsports, and the game itself (like SlipZtrEm mentioned) would be the first to be worked on. The more personal preferences could be covered by monthly DLC's, maybe 10 + 2free, and maybe by a voting system, including those unusual ones.

That way they could release the game with enough premium cars and fully updated lineups to fight the competition.

But the fact is, the level of quality and detail on next gen games and sims is just too high. It would not only be bad to look at, it would be a marketing mistake to use that stuff again...

Has anyone ever attempted to go through the standard catalogue and come up with a must have 50 or 100 cars, eliminating duplicates or near duplicates and allowing for small trim variations that would be easy to model?

They shouldn't be harder to model than the already premium modeled ones. If they lack something, they could ask the community for help, like, let's say they need tons of pictures of said car, and someone owns it, why can't they help? Haha. Not that this would be the case, knowing PD never throw us a bone directly.

Has anyone ever attempted to go through the standard catalogue and come up with a must have 50 or 100 cars, eliminating duplicates or near duplicates and allowing for small trim variations that would be easy to model?

I'm not sure what the point would be, as "must have" would be different for everybody.

Obviously, PD is best-placed for something like this. Though it wouldn't be a bad idea for people to create personal lists prior to release to see how much the actual product matches up to their wants.

Really, this keeps reminding me of the Forzalopnik approach: T10 had a massive list of 120 cars for the Jalopnik community to vote on, which ended up being narrowed down to a list of 15 for inclusion in the game (first FM3, then FM4). If PD were to do something similar right here on GTP with the Standards, going off of something like 100-150 of the most popular based off their own usage details. Sure, not everybody would be happy with the results – that's democracy for you – but they'd have direct community involvement.

Some of the enhanced Standards (semi-premiums) in GT6 looked quite decent. With slight enhancements maybe subdividing the polygons, I don't mind seeing a most of them.

Yes but the problem is those are the exception, not the rule, when it comes to how standards look. If they all looked like that it wouldn't be as big an issue.

Back