for those who have the steering wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter ep hatch
  • 11 comments
  • 601 views
Messages
3
for those who have it, do u guys think its worth getting it? if i get it, its mostly going to be used to drift....
 
well, i have a steering wheel for GT2, and it doesn't help me drift IMO, but if you want to have the best simulation of the game, then i suggest you to get it. and you don't have to use it for drift all the time. it's fun sometimes to just take the racing line with the racing wheel.

the only reason why i don't have it for GT3 is because when the wheel turns, there's a lag between the wheel turning and the car turning in the game.

btw, welcome to GTP :)
 
Originally posted by Thio

there's a lag between the wheel turning and the car turning in the game.

:odd:Funny, I have two Logitech wheels, and I have never experinced that. - Something must have gone wrong in your setups/ calibration. What wheel did you use?

Now for the very question in this thread - which has been answered a million times:
YES! IT IS WORTH IT!
Try doing a search for steering wheel, and you'll probably get some good threads=questions answered.
 
I have the Logitech wheel and it is awesome for GT3. Even though the times are a couple of seconds slow, its great for drifting. And I havent experienced steering lag, only lag with the gear change- turning in or out of the corner and it wont shift up or down. It really pisses me off when I want to do a good slide a it wont shift down:mad:
 
Try reconfiguring the shifters, to two buttons at the front then ...
 
I thought there was a lag also so I don't really use my wheel that much. It's probably because the digital pad gives the effect of a full engaged turn when you tap a direction and being accustomed to that i'm not used to the wheel gradual turning.
 
Funny, I have two Logitech wheels, and I have never experinced that. - Something must have gone wrong in your setups/ calibration. What wheel did you use?

it's the V3 that i use. i don't know why :confused:
 
i've got the logitech wheel with the gran turismo logo on it, its great i dont suffer any lag or any problems at all. i've heard of trouble from some people that when you go on full lock it wont change gear but i've never had this problem. after using this wheel i wouldent go back to the normal controller. hope this helped.
 
first of all there are a lot of different wheels. this isnt a fair question, because i know that the v3 wheels are complete crap. they cost like $30 and dont have force feedback i think.

as for if a good wheel is worth it? definately. I guess it depends on how much you can spend. I just spent $120 on the logitech momo force, arguably one of the best wheels made. it is great. I was surprised that the price dropped from $145 to $120 when i went to order.

This is definately the best wheel for me as it works for ps2 and pc. the momo "racing" wheel that was just indroduced doesnt work for gt3. It costs $100 msrp, probably can find it for $80 though. It has a neat shifter in addition to paddles. But the grip is rubber instead of leather and the plastic gears in it whine much more than the higher quality more expensive wheels that have steel gears or pullwey systems.

The momo force is very high quality.

I suggest you purchase one from www.newegg.com. They are the best online pc hardware store, no contest. you will recieve your package 3-4 days from the day ordered. and they have the best prices anywhere for almost everything. I have ordered from them probably 4 times and spent upwards of $500 there. They are great. Also the momo forces are discontinued and it might be difficult finding them elsewhere.
 
Just thought I would comment on advanR's post. newegg.com is the best. Never buy anywhere else. =)

is there any steering wheels with a shifter that works with GT3?
 
With the Driving Force wheel I get some lag, enough to be noticeable but not so that it interfers much. With the Guillemot (Thrustmaster) Ferrari FF wheel though, I got more lag and felt it was enough to be distracting. The wheel is recognized by the code used by the game to interface, but not by the rest of the game engine.

The reason for the lag with the non-officially supported wheels is probably that the game does not disengage its damping feature. With the regular controller, the wheel applies some averaging and delay to the steering to make it respond less erratically and more convincingly. If it responded too quickly, the steering would feel twitchy when using the thumbsticks.

In a force feedback wheel, it's that which should take care of adding this feeling. The damping should be turned off altogether by the game. It seems it is not with wheels not recognized by the game as the GT Force, such as the Guillemot one.

Wheels connecting to the regular controller ports will make the games think they're either a DualShock or neGcon and the games will behave accordingly unless they are designed specifically to support them. GT3 adds the same amount of damping to those wheels as it does with the thumbsticks on the DualShock2, and it is way too much for a wheel.

Speaking of which, if you load up the license test demos in the replay theater and turn the wheel indicator on, you will find out from its movement that - at least in the PAL version - the drivers were using regular DualShock2's and steering with the D-pad! :p
 
Back