Force feedback and life of the gamePS4 

• Thread starter Yap018
  • 32 comments
Chile
Chile
Yap018
Good morning everyone. I'm new to the game, just bought it last week.

I have been trying different controller setups and finally found something that's driveable! Anywho, I am thinking about purchasing a wheel, more specifically the Logitech G29 (only one worth it that I could afford) and have a couple of questions about the force feedback and what it simulates.

For instance, when I drive a real car and make a turn, as you accelerate, the wheels tend to straighten forward. Does the FFB simulate this?

Also, does it offer resistance during hard fast turns?

Finally, on another topic, I know that Spirit of Le Mans DLC was just released but what do you think is the future of the game? Are we still getting more DLCs? Was Spirit the last one? Is there any official word from SMS about how long are they going to develop this game before moving on to pCars 3?

I can't answer your wheel questions, I'll leave that to the wheel users :)

Regarding DLC, the Le Mans pack is the second to last of the scheduled DLC packs - the fourth and final one should be a Ferrari pack. After that, no one knows - there is a thread on the official forum asking (begging in some cases lol) for more, but there has been no official word from SMS.

Edit, oh and welcome to pCARS2 :D

I can't answer your wheel questions, I'll leave that to the wheel users :)

Regarding DLC, the Le Mans pack is the second to last of the scheduled DLC packs - the fourth and final one should be a Ferrari pack. After that, no one knows - there is a thread on the official forum asking (begging in some cases lol) for more, but there has been no official word from SMS.

Edit, oh and welcome to pCARS2 :D

Thanks man! I look forward to it then!

Also, I know we already got a Porsche pack but I wouldn't mind another one hahaha (maybe more road going Porsches ;))

And, I also know that there are a LOT of tracks but I would like more F1 tracks such as Albert Park, Gilles Villeneuve, Hungaroring, Interlagos, Malaysia... but these most likely have exclusive contracts with the F1... And, last but not least, one of my favorite tracks ever (which is almost never featured in any game) Cheste Circuit in Valencia...

I doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. I'm new to the game, just bought it last week.

I have been trying different controller setups and finally found something that's driveable! Anywho, I am thinking about purchasing a wheel, more specifically the Logitech G29 (only one worth it that I could afford) and have a couple of questions about the force feedback and what it simulates.

For instance, when I drive a real car and make a turn, as you accelerate, the wheels tend to straighten forward. Does the FFB simulate this?

Finally, on another topic, I know that Spirit of Le Mans DLC was just released but what do you think is the future of the game? Are we still getting more DLCs? Was Spirit the last one? Is there any official word from SMS about how long are they going to develop this game before moving on to pCars 3?
Welcome :gtpflag:

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, adjustable to your liking
2. Yes, adjustable to your liking
3. No, apparently we got a Ferrari pack due September-ish (don't know what cars or track though)

Remember though, more expensive wheels will have a more realistic feeling compared to cheaper 1's so curb your expectations :)

I'm on the XB1X & happy using both the pad & my Thrustmaster TMX. Casual player running AI @ 90/75 & loving it :)

I'm new to pCars but not to GTPlanet :lol: but thanks anyway! I've been playing Gran Turismo games since forever but recently got tired of waiting for Kaz and PD to pick up the pace so decided to give pCars 2 a try and I haven't been dissappointed!

Thanks for your reply BTW. You know what I would really like? To rent a G29 and try it for myself before having to expend $300 (what it costs here in Chile) for one. That be lovely but there's no such service out here...

P.S: I actually live in Chile but I'm Venezuelan, hence my original location

I'm new to pCars but not to GTPlanet :lol: but thanks anyway! I've been playing Gran Turismo games since forever but recently got tired of waiting for Kaz and PD to pick up the pace so decided to give pCars 2 a try and I haven't been dissappointed!

Thanks for your reply BTW. You know what I would really like? To rent a G29 and try it for myself before having to expend $300 (what it costs here in Chile) for one. That be lovely but there's no such service out here...

P.S: I actually live in Chile but I'm Venezuelan, hence my original location

What about any 2nd hand shops or ebay?

What about any 2nd hand shops or ebay?
Main problem is that the price limit for imports without paying taxes and being retained in Customs is $30 (Not logic at all, I know).

So, if I would want to buy anything through eBay, I'd have to pay app. 26% taxes and the product is retained around a month by Customs... There's no way around it... It happened when I bought my Batman Arkham Knight Edition PS4...

Chileans are very sttuborn in this regard, in particular. Also, any second-hand G29 I find is at almost the same price as new in a store...

Looks like I will have to make a trip to the US and go crazy over there!

Any second-hand G29 I find is at almost the same price as new in a store.

I strongly recommend against buying any FFB wheel secondhand, unless it is from a trusted friend and you are able to test it before parting with cash. Some of the effects are quite subtle and it would be very easy to accidentally buy a defective wheel secondhand.

Buy new and pay extra for an extended warranty (ideally 3 years) - a lot of wheels go wrong, although the G29 probably has a better reputation than most.

Don't forget to budget for a good quality (and highly adjustable stand) or rig on which to mount your wheel - you need to be completely comfortable and in a relaxed position to be able to drive for long periods without suffering any aches and pains.

A wheel is an expensive purchase, but if you enjoy racing games it should greatly enhance your experience.

I do completely agree with what @Sick Cylinder is saying regarding 2nd hand goods & it's unfortunate you can't benefit from it.

Here in the UK I took a chance & payed £100 for a TMX from CEX with a 1 year warranty, luckily for me it worked as it should & even if it did break after that year it's only really cost me just over £8 a month.

The only reason I suggested it is because some people don't get along with wheels even if they drive in real life, I know I did at 1st & it's taken me nearly 2 months to be as fast as I am with a pad.

However saying that the immersion is alot better with a wheel & I'm very jealous of the guys that play this in VR.

@Yap018 don't expect awefull force but the g29 for gives enough feedback to know whats going on and tonfeel like I'm driving a car.

It's defenitly worth the money imo. And you'll certainly enjoy yourself after practising.

2 important things for a new g29 user.

1) don't yank up the force you think tyou need that but you'll lose anlot of the informatiin the feedback gives. I run the default informative ffb, but used to have the gn turnedd up for more force. After reducing the gain I gott more feeling about whats happening.

2) watch video's might sound strange but when understeering it feels like you have to turn more while in actuallity often you need to reduce your steering angle (I still struggle with this one :P )

Oww yeah you're on ps4?

Yes,but G29 has only 2N-m torque so do not expect too much resistance,it will be quite easy to overcome.
Thanks @super_gt I didn't even know that they measured FFB in units. It obviously makes sense but had not thought about it.

In any case, I'm mainly curious about if it simulated these things or not. I hope I can give it a try soon...

@Yap018 don't expect awefull force but the g29 for gives enough feedback to know whats going on and tonfeel like I'm driving a car.

It's defenitly worth the money imo. And you'll certainly enjoy yourself after practising.

2 important things for a new g29 user.

1) don't yank up the force you think tyou need that but you'll lose anlot of the informatiin the feedback gives. I run the default informative ffb, but used to have the gn turnedd up for more force. After reducing the gain I gott more feeling about whats happening.

2) watch video's might sound strange but when understeering it feels like you have to turn more while in actuallity often you need to reduce your steering angle (I still struggle with this one :P )

Oww yeah you're on ps4?
Thanks @Mr Tree ! Good advice.

I feel that I would use "Informative" FFB whenever I manage to buy the wheel... I was more curious about if those were things that the FFB simulated. For now, I must stick to my controller pad...

I do completely agree with what @Sick Cylinder is saying regarding 2nd hand goods & it's unfortunate you can't benefit from it.

Here in the UK I took a chance & payed £100 for a TMX from CEX with a 1 year warranty, luckily for me it worked as it should & even if it did break after that year it's only really cost me just over £8 a month.

The only reason I suggested it is because some people don't get along with wheels even if they drive in real life, I know I did at 1st & it's taken me nearly 2 months to be as fast as I am with a pad.

However saying that the immersion is alot better with a wheel & I'm very jealous of the guys that play this in VR.
Exactly, I have found a couple of online publications where you can tell that the person did not like the feel or did not get to use the wheel much. These wheels are not in bad shape at all but, even so, the prices are high and it's still quite expensive for me.

Sometimes you can tell that the seller got the wheel as a gift, maybe for his/her son or nephew, and they didn't like it or did not know how to use it so they "researched" online to see how much it costs and sell it at that price.

I will try to save for a couple of months and see if I can make the investment.

I use @Scaff 's settings for T300RS but for G29. The only difference really is the nM force and gear vs belt but otherwise it's very similar so the only thing I have to adjust is Gain. Stays at 100 and only lowered when I need to avoid clipping happening in regular situations. Of course it does regardless when you jerk it around trying to fix opposite lock but in normal scenarios it's fine.

Thanks @Mr Tree ! Good advice.

I feel that I would use "Informative" FFB whenever I manage to buy the wheel... I was more curious about if those were things that the FFB simulated. For now, I must stick to my controller pad...
Remember that Immersive & Informative flavours have a auto tune feature so even if you have clipping on your selected settings it will be dialled out after a lap or two.

Well, I use an T150 Pro, that is a geared wheel with belt system added and is quite similar to the G29 with a bit better center feeling for me due the belt.

I started also with @Scaff T300RS wheel settings, they were OK but I got to much clipping in wet conditions and with some car even on dry.

Now i use other settings, and don't have practically any clipping and a lot more feeling (Tyre slips, back end stepping out..)

Here are those settings :

FFB PCars2:RAW,65,40,35,35,0'40.

I have also the "volume ffb" mapped on the keyboard, so if with one car i want a bit more resistance / heavier wheel feeling I increase a bit the "volume FFB" on the fly.

When the ffb signal is far stronger than what your wheel can take, which can lead to your wheel feeling lifeless, cheaper wheels suffer more than expensive ones as I understand it. Still learning about all this stuff myself so anyone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Watch this video Courtesy of YORKIE.

Is there any Fanatec CSL Elite users caring to share their setup?

I have tried all base FFB layouts, but all seems to give slow, dull and very inconsistent force feedback. Banked hairpins are the worst where i can't fight the FFB's sudden change from light to very strong FFB.

I like Assetto Corsa because of it's consistent fast, light and still informative FFB... PCars 2 being the opposite, so far.

Last edited:

FFB provides a great deal of feel depending on the quality of the wheel and the sim. So yes you get centering forces and resistance to turning and even more so with high downforce cars as the front loads up. You will also get to feel when the wheels are losing traction as well as the road surface and kerbs etc and many more effects. The FFB back simply helps you drive better - for example with a joypad your only indication that you are losing the back end is visual but with a wheel you feel it in your hands also. Having said that, you will almost certainly be slower for a while when you first start using a wheel.

Most cars actually feel pretty differently IRL. Some are light, some are heavy, some numb feeling, some lively.

Trying to make all cars feel the same will drive you crazy. Daz is on the money. A controller doesn't offer much in the way of feedback, a wheel a lot more, so differences will be exaggerated.

Most cars actually feel pretty differently IRL. Some are light, some are heavy, some numb feeling, some lively.

Trying to make all cars feel the same will drive you crazy.

Your comment probably isn't directed to my comment above, but...

Thrustmaster T150's torque isn't that great... It can produce strong forces, but the range is very limited so it's always fightable, also meaning that the differences from car to car wont be that great.

Agree that cars should feel different... But, if the feel (for CSL Elite) vary from good to undriveably bad that require adjustments, then having a unique FFB is just a quessing game.

Last edited:
Is there any Fanatec CSL Elite users caring to share their setup?

I have tried all base FFB layouts, but all seems to give slow, dull and very inconsistent force feedback. Banked hairpins are the worst where i can't fight the FFB's sudden change from light to very strong FFB.

I like Assetto Corsa because of it's consistent fast, light and still informative FFB... PCars 2 being the opposite, so far.

Huh...I just got a CSL Elite PS4 and have not had any issues with it like that at all. I did very little changes, as a matter of fact I do not think I made any changes in it other than the stuff I can do on the fly with my key binds.

Are you using it with a console or a PC? I am using a PC. If you are on console there may be a difference in how to set it up.

I'm on console... It's definitely better now than what it was before & adjusting +/- FFB Volume on track make it less frustrating!

...But the main issue is that i can't get more informative road feel without increasing the already strong forces: kurb & banked corners. Laguna Seca for example, feels ok until the corkscrew section where i simply can't fight the wheel, but if i lower 'FFB setup X' i either get no surface information or very slow numb self aligning torque that doesn't center itself or react when loosing grip or drifting.
CSL Elite's forces were halfway from clipping so somehow i should be able to increase the subtle background FFB... Having light, but fast wheel seems impossible.
--
I believe the problem is that i can't increase the 'mid-range FFB' or balance both light and strong forces. It's always either super strong at times, but overally reactive... Or more balanced, but overally very numb.

Last edited:
^...Continue.
I don't understand the logic behind FFB Volume: Higher value increases self aligning torque and counterstreer speed/strength, but also dampens forces from car and track surface, so why can't there be one slider more for that?

- Increasing FFB Volume = More wheel response, but will definitely nullify the surface detail... So, i need to increase both Tone and FX, which bump the strongest forces even further.
- Decreasing the FFB Volume = Limited self aligning torque making cars unable to auto-correct slides and feel floaty on straights, but also will give better, less dampened surface detail and lighter more realistic steering. ...Again, increasing both Tone and FX for low FFB Volume setup increases kurb and road feel, but doesn't make the car feel less floaty on straights or too lazy to countersteer.

^ Now one month later, after testing all the FFB flavours with every possible value combinations, i'm about to give up... Have tried many FFB suggestions from the internet for the CSL Elite Ps4, but it always feel like driving on thick layer of mud: Nonreactive, heavy and dampened... Something i'd assume SpinTires MudRunner to feel like... By the heaviness of the FFB i'd expect to feel much much more!

I don't suppose you'd like to post your setup for your FFB?

There might be something in there that other CSL users differ from. At the very least, Informative, Raw, etc.. Not to mention, whether you have flashed to the latest CSL firmware, or used a PC to alter any setup defaults.

It's kind of hard to help without info to go on...

Back