Force feedback and life of the gamePS4 

• Thread starter Yap018
  • 32 comments
I have bought steering wheels for driving games since the early 90's (F1GP) and have never got as much use out of them as I should (even my logitech Driving Force Pro with GT4) and I always ended up defaulting back to pad, or even keyboard, controls.

This generation it has finally clicked with a Thrustmaster T500RS and now I don't play a driving game without a wheel (PCars 2, GT Sport and F1). Each game feels different with feedback and resistance etc and I'm not sure if it is the games or the wheel but the evolution of the experience has got to a point that worked for me. It still took time to get my times/driving skills up to the same level as a pad but I didn't care, the experience was there.

Obviously the support for Fanatec CSL Elite isn't that great on Ps4... G29 emulating purple mode fixed pretty much every issue i mentioned on last page. Should have tried it earlier...

Obviously the support for Fanatec CSL Elite isn't that great on Ps4... G29 emulating purple mode fixed pretty much every issue i mentioned on last page. Should have tried it earlier...

Forgot about the purple mode for the PS4. Should have realized that at the start.

One of the things I realized you were describing are actual effects on an actual car in those situations: Compression. Every place you described having issues, I realized these locations also caused a lot of compression on a car's suspension. That, in itself, will cause issues with the ability to steer a car or turn a wheel as the wheels now are not only supporting the weight of the whole car but the g-forces (in any direction) compressing the car and adding more (much more in some cases) weight to the vehicle. I experience this in Pcars on PC and in my real car if going fast enough. The Porsche's due to their engine position and chassis set-up is a very obvious case of this which can only be eased slightly, but not completely, by different set-ups that may or may not compromise the rest of the track.

The problem lies in that if you try to adjust this out of the wheel you will make it too light to use when there are no, or very little, compression forces on the car.

What you have done (purple mode) will probably help but remember that the compression forces on the car will always be there and it will be reflected in your FFB. Account for this and when you do you will be able to deal with it better.

Back