Ford Builds One For Us: The *Official* 2008 Bullitt Mustang

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 113 comments
  • 6,608 views
The Ford Bullitt is a classy, understated tribute to one of the greatest car chases of all time, not someone's vinyl-tape dreams.

If it was a tibute to the car then they should have called it the GT-390. If it's only a tribute to the film then it's no better than the Charger or Beetle i posted.
 
But they don't offer a 390ci engine, now, do they?

It's a bit further than a normal Mustang GT, (Which, technically, that's what McQueen's 'Stang was,) It's built by an OEM (I mean, seriously, what's with ghetto chromiez on the General, anyway?) and, while I think Highland Green should be offered as a normal color on the Mustang, this does a much better job of capturing the Movie car's spirit than that VW and Charger. It's 90% correct. (Herbie didnt' have a spoiler until that horrid Lindsay Lohan Picture. The General Lee MUST have American Racing Vector wheels and a push bar. oh, and the Confederate Flag vinyl: I noticed it was left off because of the [blech] Sunroof.)

and it looks cool. McQueen cool. I'd have not used "Bullitt" logos, but that's about it. Those who dont' know the movie will think it's a custom, it's that clean. No-one will confuse it for Starsky and Hutch's wide-striped ride, or Doc Brown's equipment-covered DeLorean. It's Clean enough that if you don't know what "Bullitt" is, that people will think it's a really neat customized mustang. Those who know will know, and everyone else will be...clueless.

That's a great feeling. Steve Would Approve.

Besides, If you don't like it as a Movie tribute, buy it in black. all the performance, just as clean, no movie car stigma.
 
I've got no problem with it being a 'movie car' - it looks great, i was just pointing out that it's film connotations don't give it any more prestige then any of the other 'heritage' models.
 
These things will definately be more common. The name alone will sell them. Then again, maybe I haven't seen 1 Shelby GT down here b/c nobody in Tx is stupid enough to buy 1.

I guess I don't have an issue with the commonality then. I've seen maybe two or three Shelby GTs out on the street, strangely only two of the California Special Edition models as well. Being completely honest, there are more Roush and Saleen models around here than the special Ford ones (GT500 included).
 
Of these Mustangs, in person and not on a dealer lot, I've seen the following x number of times...

California Special: 3 (I like everything about it except the word "California")
Shelby GT: 2 (worthless for the price)
GT500: 3
GT500KR: 0
GT500KR Super Snake: 0
Roush: 2
Saleen: 1
Saleen Parnelli Jones model: 1 (quite a good looking car)
Foose Mustang GT: 1 (quite an ugly car)

*edit*
I also think this Bullitt Mustang is definately the best looking of the bunch except maybe the Parnelli Jones Saleen model.
 
I've got no problem with it being a 'movie car' - it looks great, i was just pointing out that it's film connotations don't give it any more prestige then any of the other 'heritage' models.

Point made. They do have a lot of heritage models, though. makes one wonder what GM will pull out of their hat...or won't...for the Camaro.
 
Of these Mustangs, in person and not on a dealer lot, I've seen the following x number of times...

California Special: 3 (I like everything about it except the word "California")
Shelby GT: 2 (worthless for the price)
GT500: 3
GT500KR: 0
GT500KR Super Snake: 0
Roush: 2
Saleen: 1
Saleen Parnelli Jones model: 1 (quite a good looking car)
Foose Mustang GT: 1 (quite an ugly car)

*edit*
I also think this Bullitt Mustang is definately the best looking of the bunch except maybe the Parnelli Jones Saleen model.
We haven't seen any KR's yet because most are still on order. The SuperSnakes are also being built.

Now, I'll admit the KR Super Snake looks badass, but who the hell thought the Super Snake logo should be put on the car 50 million times? It's all over the interior too. The seats, the dash, even the arm rest....Ridiculous.
 
The wheels do not look all that narrow to me, how wide do you want these things?


just wide enough so that it doesnt look like a high school girl's v6.

JCE3000GT
I also think this Bullitt Mustang is definately the best looking of the bunch except maybe the Parnelli Jones Saleen model.

I can't believe you guys are serious.
 
We Americans are all crazy, especially those of us who appreciate understated beauty with a nostalgic twist...
 
I don't get why you guys think it doesn't look good or it's not worth the price.
The Mustang is one of the best bang for the buck performance vehicle out there, I can't believe people are claiming overpriced?

The Bullit mustang was a total sleeper in the movie, next to the charger it looked like a boy's car, I simply love the V6 front end without the double headlights. The rear wing delete really enhances the line of the car.

I could care less about all the other special editions, this is IMO the one to own and I'll be in line, that's for sure. 31k for a mustang? that's 28k CAD, case closed.
 
I could care less about all the other special editions, this is IMO the one to own and I'll be in line, that's for sure. 31k for a mustang? that's 28k CAD, case closed.

Heh, I wish it worked that way Div, it seems Ford Canada's pricing still doesn't represent the strong CAD, so a regular GT still comes in at 33k. Unless you mean heading south to buy...
 
I don't get why you guys think it doesn't look good or it's not worth the price.
The Mustang is one of the best bang for the buck performance vehicle out there, I can't believe people are claiming overpriced?

The Bullit mustang was a total sleeper in the movie, next to the charger it looked like a boy's car, I simply love the V6 front end without the double headlights. The rear wing delete really enhances the line of the car.

I could care less about all the other special editions, this is IMO the one to own and I'll be in line, that's for sure. 31k for a mustang? that's 28k CAD, case closed.
For what you're getting out of a Mustang, it's simply not worth it. There's truly nicer cars available for that money.
 
What cars?
Mazdaspeed3 ?
Help me, because I really don't know.
 
For $31K?

The only other cars I could think of that I'd cross-shop would be the Nissan 350Z, maybe the Mazda RX-8, and the Pontiac G8 GT. Thats really about it... I would include the R32, but we're a few grand short...
 
As of today the 350Z is the only real competitor that offers as close to the overall performance as you can get for the money. The RX-8 is rubbish and doesn't even deserve to even be in this topic.
 
As much as I like this new Bullitt it shares a trait with all other Mustangs: it rides too high, mainly the front. Sporting cars supposed to be low to the ground :p
 
What cars?
Mazdaspeed3 ?
Help me, because I really don't know.

how about itself? You can get a regular gt for 25K. The extra 6k isn't buying any significant performance gains. Buy a v6 grill, exhaust, and performance tires, and save yourself 3,000. or hell, just buy a v6 and supercharge it. Bam, there's your sleeper.

JCE3000GT
The RX-8 is rubbish and doesn't even deserve to even be in this topic.

that's a personal opinion, not a fact. Car and Driver picked the rx-8 over the stang in a comparison not to long ago. MMFF Mag would have a fit if they were forced to drive an Rx-8. Just depends what your gonna use it for.

YSSMAN
For $31K?

The only other cars I could think of that I'd cross-shop would be the Nissan 350Z, maybe the Mazda RX-8, and the Pontiac G8 GT. Thats really about it... I would include the R32, but we're a few grand short...

you could get a g35 sedan, with similar acceleration, better handling, more room, yada yada.
 
I should have been more precise, V8 cars, not V6.
A regular GT is not a bullit, people claiming rationality standpoints just don't get what this is all about, to me Bullit is an iconic movie, still one of the best car chase ever.

Sure to some it's only a paint job, V6 grill, no emblem and some tacky chrome tips, but to real amateurs, it's an exclusive opportunity to own a piece of history, more than any Mach 1 or Boss mustang, IMO.

Ride height too high?
bullitt-3.jpg
 
For $31K?

The only other cars I could think of that I'd cross-shop would be the Nissan 350Z, maybe the Mazda RX-8, and the Pontiac G8 GT. Thats really about it... I would include the R32, but we're a few grand short...

If you could include the 350Z I'd suggest going with 5th Gear's approach and include the Z4. 👍
I'd also consider the Camaro being competition in another year but that's still a year or so away and I don't know the exact prices.
In any case though, it's always rough doing comparisons on just the price. If the R32 would be ruled out for any reason I'd say it should be the general theme of the car instead of the price (I mean, isn't the R32 a 4wd with less than eight cylinders?).
 
-> For a Mustang, I'd take it! A tweaked GT in a V6 garb with that green aura, that pretty much of a value for a good cruiser car.
 
It may be over priced for a mustang there may be better cars out there for 31K but it just loooooks soooo good. And can you get that green on a normal GT? its one of the best mustangs ive seen (only seen a few). if i had 31K id buy it.
 
I dont know, I guess Ive just trained myself to hate all V6 mustangs, and the way they look, and to me, this looks like a standard v6. It doesnt look fast at all, and its trunk looks so ugly without a spoiler. The good news is it has a lot of horsepower, but its still a mustang, so it wont be fast.
 
The new V6's (2005+) are actually pretty decent cars and they aren't slow. You'd be surprised how quick a V6 with the 5spd is--and since they are cheap it is still a good value. It just needs some minor exterior cosmetic changes to look more aggressive.
 
The new V6's (2005+) are actually pretty decent cars and they aren't slow. You'd be surprised how quick a V6 with the 5spd is--and since they are cheap it is still a good value. It just needs some minor exterior cosmetic changes to look more aggressive.

I've heard about that, isn't the new V6 with a 5spd nearly as quick as the old V8 to 60? I thought I read that in a magazine somewhere.
 
It just needs some minor exterior cosmetic changes to look more aggressive.
Nonsense. The V6 models are the better looking of the two because they don't have clumsy cladding added haphazardly to them. They just need dual exhaust.
 
I'd almost dare to say on some occasions that the V6 models with the "Pony Package" and knock-offs look better than the GT. But the Bullitt? Easily the best-looking of all of the new Mustangs, tuner or factory.
 
how about itself? You can get a regular gt for 25K. The extra 6k isn't buying any significant performance gains. Buy a v6 grill, exhaust, and performance tires, and save yourself 3,000. or hell, just buy a v6 and supercharge it. Bam, there's your sleeper.
My point exactly. What exactly am I getting that really justifies an extra $6k?
 
Back