Ford Builds One For Us: The *Official* 2008 Bullitt Mustang

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 113 comments
  • 6,610 views
McLaren, you hang out on FerrariChat a lot, you must know better.
Why would somebody spend 50k more on a CS than a regular 360 Modena?
What does he get ?
Less weight
Minor hp gain
Suspension tweaks

Bullit over GT
Minor hp gain
Suspension tweaks
LSD
 
McLaren, you hang out on FerrariChat a lot, you must know better.
Why would somebody spend 50k more on a CS than a regular 360 Modena?
What does he get ?
Less weight
Minor hp gain
Suspension tweaks

Bullit over GT
Minor hp gain
Suspension tweaks
LSD

Because the CS is a completely different breed of Ferrari. You're not paying $50K for a special name, you're paying $50,000 more for a car that rips out all the luxuries to become a track machine.
For the $50,000, you get the following: 30 mores horses, a drop in 488 pounds, and a car whose suspension & brakes were taken directly off a race car. For $50,000 more, you're buying a road-legal race car.

In the Mustang's case, you're just paying $3,000 for a fancy paint job, a movie-name, and probably upgrades that not even the Stig could see the difference in.
 
A race car driver won't notice the difference between a mustang GT without LSD and soft suspension and a Bullit with a tweaked suspension, LSD, 15hp and tq, modified gear ratios, race brake pads?

You're just being silly now.
 
A race car driver won't notice the difference between a mustang GT without LSD and soft suspension and a Bullit with a tweaked suspension, LSD, 15hp and tq, modified gear ratios, race brake pads?

You're just being silly now.

I didn't read everything in the release, so I did not know of everything it got, though I see no mention of new brakes. So, it'll be slightly faster than a GT. Big whoop, it's still overpriced for a Mustang, and only Mustang suckers will get one.
 
You judged a car without even knowing facts about it, then you claim it's overpriced, and that buyers are suckers.

Quality posts?
Silly posts.
 
I didn't read everything in the release, so I did not know of everything it got, though I see no mention of new brakes. So, it'll be slightly faster than a GT. Big whoop, it's still overpriced for a Mustang, and only Mustang suckers will get one.

Considering that a fully-loaded Mustang GT is only a grand or so behind in MSRP, I think you're making mountains out of mole hills. The fact of the matter is that this is a package that should have been offered earlier, at the very least the color itself, and generally speaking, much of the performance stuff should have been standard trim as well.

There is an improved ride quality, apparently better turn-in, and just an overall more settled feeling to the altered chassis. That alone has to be worth something, particularly when, again, a fully-loaded Mustang GT goes for right around the same mark... And I've priced them out nearly as high as $32K on the top-end...

===

Oh, and:

 
Now, all we need is a Charger R/T in triple-black.
 
You judged a car without even knowing facts about it, then you claim it's overpriced, and that buyers are suckers.

Quality posts?
Silly posts.
This coming from the same guy who put the Modena/Challenge Stradale into the same category as this. :rolleyes:

And when I said I didn't read all of the facts, that does not mean I didn't read it completely. I stopped reading when it spent a good paragraph just about all the little badges it dropped.

And I'll stand by what I said. Just like the Shelby GT, it's an overpriced Mustang, and there's better cars for the money. Ohh wowww, it has little suspension tweaks and improved power. Big friggity doo. Like we're going to be seeing a big difference between a Mustang GT. You think I care if you find it silly I call the buyers of this suckers? I don't.

Face it. You're paying $31,000 for a Mustang that just has badges taken off, and enough tweaks to make you think you're getting a beefier Mustang. But in reality, cars of the same price such as the 350Z, G37 Coupe ($2K more), & IS 250, are going to run circles around it.

$31,000 for a Bullitt Mustang? Or $31,000 for a Lexus IS250? Hello Lexus.


Considering that a fully-loaded Mustang GT is only a grand or so behind in MSRP, I think you're making mountains out of mole hills. The fact of the matter is that this is a package that should have been offered earlier, at the very least the color itself, and generally speaking, much of the performance stuff should have been standard trim as well.
I don't necessarily agree with the package, but I do agree that the performance and tweaks should been set as standard equipment used on the Mustang GT.
There is an improved ride quality, apparently better turn-in, and just an overall more settled feeling to the altered chassis. That alone has to be worth something, particularly when, again, a fully-loaded Mustang GT goes for right around the same mark... And I've priced them out nearly as high as $32K on the top-end...
Those cars I mentioned earlier? I'll put money on it they all ride better than the Bullitt.
The problem with the Bullitt is that not only is it 1 of the 1,343,769 models Ford is milking the Mustang for, but that is priced in the range of cars that do everything better than it.

As for the fully loaded GT, I'd take it over the Bullitt too as I'm positive the options with it are a much better buy. And then, in the end, I can just strip the badges off, have it resprayed, and then beef up the power myself.
 
Its not just a matter of performance with the Mustang; Its a matter of how it looks, (Like a 68 fastback) and its nameplate. As of right now, its a class of one.

300 hp and a 5.3 second 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at either.

Also, YSSMAN; How do you like the 'tar?
 
Considering that a fully-loaded Mustang GT is only a grand or so behind in MSRP, I think you're making mountains out of mole hills.
Shelby GT500 is around $45,000 MSRP. Shelby GT starts at $36,000. Doesn't mean dealers don't add 10-15 grand on top of that. The same will most likely apply here.
 
Y'know, normally I agree with McLaren... but IS250 vs Mustang? Really? That's like cross-shopping a 7-series and a Viper.
 
Is there any way to get a Bullitt in another color? That green is terrible.

Green cars are bad luck. It's why the British never win anything, for instance.
 
Is there any way to get a Bullitt in another color? That green is terrible.

Green cars are bad luck. It's why the British never win anything, for instance.

Run! Run! Run! Flame-fest a-coming! :lol:
 
Y'know, normally I agree with McLaren... but IS250 vs Mustang? Really? That's like cross-shopping a 7-series and a Viper.

How so? Both the Mustang & IS are marketed by their companies as low-end sports cars, & both cars are 300Bhp (Mustang Bullitt; IS350 ($3,000 more)). The only difference is one has 2 more doors.
 
Let's play your game now, for 3k I slap on a supercharger and I whoop all your overpriced Japanese rice suckers. This is childish.
 
Is there any way to get a Bullitt in another color? That green is terrible.

Green cars are bad luck. It's why the British never win anything, for instance.

Uh, yeah. tell that to this year's Aston Martin LeMans team

But, you may get it in black, according to the press release.
 
$31,000 for a Bullitt Mustang? Or $31,000 for a Lexus IS250? Hello Lexus.

You're insane...

For $31K?

Hello Pontiac G8 GT!
 
On that I can agree though, sounds like one fine machine.
 
You're insane...

For $31K?

Hello Pontiac G8 GT!
QFT. I like to drive my cars, and not the other way around...
 
Let's play your game now, for 3k I slap on a supercharger and I whoop all your overpriced Japanese rice suckers. This is childish.
Where did this come from? Or are you just failing at trying to be a smart-ass?
Seriously, don't even reply anymore unless you're bringing something intelligent to the table.

BTW, nice comment there. I hope a few Japanese members take some offense & report that even though those cars put the Mustang to shame.
You're insane...

For $31K?

Hello Pontiac G8 GT!
So I'm insane for picking the better car? Ok. :rolleyes:

The point is, the Bullitt is treading into a price range where people pay money for sports cars, at which the 'Stang can't compete. You've got Div here talking about how all these little performance tweaks are going to be so good which won't make any d*mn difference next to a car in the $30K range.

The Bullitt, like the Shelby GT & the California Special are sucker cars. You're paying more money for a name. Ford can tell you it's also adding engine tweaks, but it doesn't take a monkey to realize something's up when Ford is sitting there talking more about all the cosmetic changes.

You want to pay that much for a Mustang, go right ahead. I'll be sitting here laughing at how Ford just suckered $6,000 more out of you.
 
Run! Run! Run! Flame-fest a-coming! :lol:

:D Thought I'd throw in some cheek.

Anyway, it's good to know that it'll come in black. If I was in the market for a Mustang, I would have hoped for a white option, however.
 
So I'm insane for picking the better car? Ok. :rolleyes:

Better car? You mean the G8 over the Mustang, right? Because no one even takes the IS250 seriously, even Lexus salesmen. That car is for punk-ass kids who couldn't afford the "big boy" version. I'll happily take a V8, a suspension that actually performs well enough to be both capable and
comfortable, and the eventual option of a stick (T56 coming, 6L80E will do).

But then again I know I'm crazy for liking what is clearly the better choice; The one with character, purpose, and substance. Hell, I'd even take the V6 G8 over the IS250, so you know that I'm crazy...

You want to pay that much for a Mustang, go right ahead. I'll be sitting here laughing at how Ford just suckered $6,000 more out of you.

Who is paying $6000 more? Almost every Mustang GT you see out on the dealer lots with the "common" options equipped run about $27-28K. Considering that most of it will be standard equipment on a $31K Bullitt, I'd consider the $3000 price increase minimal at best, something I think a lot of enthusiasts would be happy to pay.

Please, excuse Ford for utilizing the marketing department to keep renewed interest in their car. People have been waiting for the Bullitt car to return since 2001, god forbid we let them celebrate once in a while...
 
The Bullitt, like the Shelby GT & the California Special are sucker cars. You're paying more money for a name. Ford can tell you it's also adding engine tweaks, but it doesn't take a monkey to realize something's up when Ford is sitting there talking more about all the cosmetic changes.

They aren't sucker cars, just wait 15-20 years and they will actually be worth some money because of their rarity. And if Ford can make a bit of money on them by jacking up the price then more power to them. I do think it's unfair to the buyer to call them a sucker for buying this.
 
McLaren, you hang out on FerrariChat a lot, you must know better.
Why would somebody spend 50k more on a CS than a regular 360 Modena?
What does he get ?
Less weight
Minor hp gain
Suspension tweaks

Bullit over GT
Minor hp gain
Suspension tweaks
LSD

They aren't sucker cars, just wait 15-20 years and they will actually be worth some money because of their rarity. And if Ford can make a bit of money on them by jacking up the price then more power to them. I do think it's unfair to the buyer to call them a sucker for buying this.

so not only do I have to by an overpriced mustang, but i gotta wait 20 years for it to (hopefully) justify its value?

Fyi, every v8 mustang since at least 94 has had a lsd standard with manual trannies and optional on auto's. so really the bullitt only has:

minor hp
minor suspension tweaks

They aren't sucker cars, just wait 15-20 years and they will actually be worth some money because of their rarity. And if Ford can make a bit of money on them by jacking up the price then more power to them. I do think it's unfair to the buyer to call them a sucker for buying this.

so not only do I have to buy an overpriced mustang, but i gotta wait till im 20 years for it to (hopefully) justify its value?
 
There was no need to say the same thing twice.

But really if you don't like it and if you can't justify the price then use the novel concept of not buying one.
 
They aren't sucker cars, just wait 15-20 years and they will actually be worth some money because of their rarity. And if Ford can make a bit of money on them by jacking up the price then more power to them. I do think it's unfair to the buyer to call them a sucker for buying this.

Any future value over the standard cars will be negligible - they make thousands of them. A well spec'd standard car in a good colour will be worth as just as much. In 15-20 years they'll all be worth a fraction of their cost now. The owners can't be called suckers - but they certainly can't be called sharp business men/women either.
 
I always see these special edition Mustangs at the Barret Jackson auctions going for quite a bit of money. Sure they aren't going to make you millionaires, but $20,000 for a car that probably cost you $4000 back in the day isn't a bad move.
 
I always see these special edition Mustangs at the Barret Jackson auctions going for quite a bit of money. Sure they aren't going to make you millionaires, but $20,000 for a car that probably cost you $4000 back in the day isn't a bad move.

To make that kind of profit on a car as widely sold as the Mustang, the car would have to be very original and barely used - which is hardly the point in buying one in the first place is it? Even then, there are far better ways to invest your $4k to get a similar profit than one that drinks fuel and wastes tyres like a Mustang does. Even if your $4k Mustang is worth $20k in 20 years time - how much of that $16k difference will you use keeping the car for those 20 years? - i suspect all of it and a whole lot more.
 
Heh, there's no point in people arguing with Brad over which is the better buy. The simple rule of GM > All applies ;).

I'd still take the Mustang over the G8 because if I'm in the market for a sporty car, nothing beats a two-door. When the Camaro's out though... well, we'll see. It could be raved about by the magazines and fail to sell, just like the last one, and will disappear in a few years. I just want to see how it stacks up to the Mustang when it's finally out... although by that point we might as well wait the year or two for a new Mustang for a better comparison.
 
To make that kind of profit on a car as widely sold as the Mustang, the car would have to be very original and barely used - which is hardly the point in buying one in the first place is it? Even then, there are far better ways to invest your $4k to get a similar profit than one that drinks fuel and wastes tyres like a Mustang does. Even if your $4k Mustang is worth $20k in 20 years time - how much of that $16k difference will you use keeping the car for those 20 years? - i suspect all of it and a whole lot more.

Look I'm not disagreeing with you, I realise there are better ways to invest your money. I'm just saying they do tend to make some money in the long run as a collector's vehicle as the Barret Jackson has shown.
 
Back