Ford F-150: SVT Raptor Project In the Flesh

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 156 comments
  • 23,510 views
The Shelby is meh... this is what it's all about.

davidsdcv1.jpg

Looks perfect except the chrome/high polish rims.. It just looks like a normal wheel rapped with aluminum foil. Never chrome on light colored cars... It would look way better with dark gray or even black rims.
 
Don't get me wrong, but aren't Ford and Chevy's logos the same as they were 40+ years ago whereas Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, and Oldsmobile have changed logos at least once...and tell me which one has a good image.
 
Last edited:
Companies change logos all the time...well, at least the ones who care about their image...
Wait? You're trying to say Ford doesn't care about there image?
 
*edit*
GRRR youtube links not working?
 
Hm...I may have to get one in Blue...and take it to a little 4WD shop in Hazelwood, Missouri.



That's how you do it...
 
JCE

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Wow that's a GREAT looking truck right there. Just what I've always wanted, a fast/sexy truck that can do it's business OFF ROAD.

BTW did anyone watch the Raptor prototype compete in the BAJA race on Speed this year? I hope it sounds like that one did.

Wow do I want that truck...

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: !!!!!!!
 
Super old thread, I know.

But an issue has come up that I think a few people might want to read/know about.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/svt-boss-goes-on-record-about-ford-raptor-frame-damage-claims-w/

Apparently you can't jump these things too hard or you end up with a bent frame. I think Ford is handling it well, and was also surprised to hear that you could have it fixed for an average of $500-800. A lot less than I would have thought. It's also kind of funny for me, because a body shop near my work a few months ago had a white Raptor sitting outside that looked just like this truck:

ford-svt-raptor-frame-bent-opt.jpg
 
I would like to point this out. The first sentence says it all. Don't blame the truck for the drivers mistake.

Hameedi: Basically, the core – the root cause – is that the vehicle is traveling too fast for the obstacle, and the truck is running out of travel. By a large margin. They're going too fast for the obstacle by a large margin. The frame is not the first item to yield in that condition – despite what's been theorized, the first thing when you do exceed the vehicle's travel capability [is that] you have a certain safety zone where you will hit the bump stop and nothing will happen. If you hit that same obstacle at an even faster speed, then you will yield the jounce bumper cup – that's the little piece of steel that holds the jounce bumper. If you hit that same obstacle at an even greater speed, then the next thing to go is the frame.
 
You have to do something really stupid really fast to cause frame damage like that.
 
Not just that, if you read the interview with the guy from Ford, he explains that the truck is actually designed to do that. He said it was either a bent frame, or the rear of the truck bouncing wildly in the air which could cause a huge accident. They went with the bent frame.
 
I found that entertaining as well. :D
 
It's because these idiots are treating an F-150 like it's a trophy truck or a dune buggy. It doesn't have the suspension for that kind of punishment.
 
True. It's not Bigfoot, I don't think you could jump a 737 and land on the flat with a Raptor.

((Even if I BADLY want to put bigfoot stickers on a Blue one...)
 
Limited to 100 mph.. THATS IT?
 
You actually want to go faster than that off-road? 100 mph is nothing if you're cruising down a flat interstate in a sedan. It's iffy if you're doing it in a tall SUV... which is why most SUVs and pickups are speed-limited to 110-120 mph. It's extremely incredibly obtusely stupid if you're doing it in a tall pick-up on a washboard trail that would rattle the bushings out of the suspension on a normal truck at 50 mph in mere seconds.

Bent frame when jumping at 80 mph plus? Not a big deal. You expect that kind of thing when you're doing extreme stuff. Just like Hameedi says, you can't just go out and bomb over obstacles as fast as you can right away. You've got to feel out the limits of the course and obstacle.

Same as with taking any vehicle off-road or on the racetrack. If you blow your engine due to oil starvation on multiple lap runs because you're cornering too hard and not paying attention to your oil level between track days, it's your own damn fault.
 
Considering that obstacle would likely fold-in-half most attemptees, I think the Raptor does a pretty good job.
 
Considering that obstacle would likely fold-in-half most attemptees, I think the Raptor does a pretty good job.

Exactly, I'd like to see a Titan, Silverado or Tundra do any better. I know the Ram is a very strong truck, it might do better than the 3 I just mentioned.
 
Limited to 100 mph.. THATS IT?
You ever gone 100 mph in a pickup truck? I have. Its not the most fun thing in the world. Even the ones that are designed to go over 100MPH (SRT-10, Lightning, etc.) are still kind of frightening. And this one is about as far away from "designed to go over 100MPH" as possible.
 
You ever gone 100 mph in a pickup truck? I have. Its not the most fun thing in the world. Even the ones that are designed to go over 100MPH (SRT-10, Lightning, etc.) are still kind of frightening. And this one is about as far away from "designed to go over 100MPH" as possible.

I've taken F150's to it's limit and it was quite an experience each time I did it. My SVT feels confident and composed, but the truck gave me the sense of "if there is a strong enough crosswind" uneasiness.

I felt better in my van actually going over 110. :lol:
 
I took my old B16 Civic up to 135 once. Exactly once. It was clear to me that a DX model civic was never intended to go that fast.
 
JCE
I've taken F150's to it's limit and it was quite an experience each time I did it. My SVT feels confident and composed, but the truck gave me the sense of "if there is a strong enough crosswind" uneasiness.

I felt better in my van actually going over 110. :lol:

I was surprised how smooth my Focus was at 100mph. Not saying where... But it was very smooth. :)
 
We do have a "How fast have you gone in your car thread", you know.

And going at high speeds in a front wheel drive compact is nowhere near as scary as doing it in a pick-up with a relatively light rear end and lots of torque. With a front-driver car, as long as you hold it straight, the front tires will pull you straight. With a pick-up, if the rear end is too stiff and the differential is too aggressive, small bumps can have the rear end skittering sideways at speed.
 
Super old thread, I know. But check out what the cammo dudes at Area 51 are driving now:

 
I don't think they could ask for a better vehicle. I bet if they were modified to be even tougher, the military might consider them for scout vehicles, like the original intent of the Hummer.
 
I believe the US Boarder Patrol uses them too, almost makes me want the job...almost.
 
I don't know...the idea of Drug Cartels gunning for me and posting my position to other members and me relying on a ford to save me doesn't sound like a reason to join.
 
I don't see GM or Chrysler making anything similar. They have the "Ram Runner" thing at Dodge, but you have to build the truck yourself.
 
I don't see GM or Chrysler making anything similar. They have the "Ram Runner" thing at Dodge, but you have to build the truck yourself.

You can order it built from Dodge. GMs offer is the Hummer so yeah...
 
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Hummer (all variants) well and truly dead?
 
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Hummer (all variants) well and truly dead?

Yeah, just cause it's GM version of all out off road automobile doesn't mean it's good. Just saying that's GM answer for people and they'll point to Baja 1000 and Dakar.
 
Back