Ford planning LeMans Return + Ford GT revival

• Thread starter Slash
  • 824 comments
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/f...rear-wing-is-it-a-road-going-race-spec-model/

089a6e6b-2020-ford-gt-goodwood-teaser.jpg

I'm calling it as either a track-only customer variant or a GT3-spec version. Leaning more towards the latter at the moment as it would serve both purposes.

I'm calling it as either a track-only customer variant or a GT3-spec version. Leaning more towards the latter at the moment as it would serve both purposes.
I'm thinking more hypercar class spec, notice the size of the endplates. They are massive and considerably larger than the ones on the GTE version almost looking as if they are connected to the body like the ones on the Aston which is going into that class.
aston-martin-valkyrie_le-mans-2021_01.jpg

EDIT:
Here's a good comparison
No-66-Ford-GT-720x340.jpg

gtbrightened-1561120789.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if it will be the car shown in the Forza 6 Ford GT Behind the scenes video. at the 1:49 mark.

As for the Hypercar rules, it seems most will likely use full prototypes not road cars, so even if Ford hadn't ruled it out it would likely be purpose build anyway.

I wonder if it will be the car shown in the Forza 6 Ford GT Behind the scenes video. at the 1:49 mark.

As for the Hypercar rules, it seems most will likely use full prototypes not road cars, so even if Ford hadn't ruled it out it would likely be purpose build anyway.

Toyota and Aston are using production cars, not sure about the rest.

Isn't the use of a road going car required?

No, they can either use a road car as basis or a prototype. Aston and Glickenhouse going the road car route while Toyota is completely prototype based. Kolles is apparently working on a program as well, but haven't said what route they will take.

No, they can either use a road car as basis or a prototype. Aston and Glickenhouse going the road car route while Toyota is completely prototype based. Kolles is apparently working on a program as well, but haven't said what route they will take.
Toyota's will be a road car as well.

Autosport
Toyota will race on in the World Endurance Championship's top class when new hypercar rules for the 2020/21 season are adopted.

The Japanese manufacturer has confirmed it will build a hypercar prototype - rather than one based on a road car - to the new regulations, details of which were revealed on Friday morning.

Toyota's challenger will be hybrid-powered and based on the GR Super Sport road car.

How about making up your mind, huh?

From this article, I see that it says:

Under the hypercar regulations, both specialized prototypes and machines based on road-going hypercars can compete on the condition that at least 20 production models are built over a two-year period.

So does that pertain to the road going cars or both?

For me is:
You don't have a car that you would race with? Go to the prototype route and you have 2 years to produce a (20) road going version of it.
You already have a car to transform into a LM? Ok, that's your route (Aston and Glicken)

Toyota and Aston are using production cars, not sure about the rest.

@Northstar has it right, there is also talk about Bentley joining with a full on Proto but this is the first time there was talk of them joining a sports car series upper class in recent history. So we'll see, but they seem interested. Ford on the other hand does not from evidence already provided.

Back