Ford USA - Ranger and Bronco Return?

• Thread starter Slash
  • 560 comments
As someone who has to constantly repair Ranger and F150 IFS for breaking, they are incredibly under built. The solid axle would make sense in the strength department but for ride quality you cannot beat IFS.

Looks like an official image has leaked:

2021-ford-bronco-top-off-doors-removed-leaked-jpg.9759

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...onco-with-top-off-doors-removed-sand-in.1676/

I like that URL. It reads to me as "Bronco with top off; doors removed; sand in."

I don't know if that's what was intended.

:lol:

Official reveal

310 hp for the 2-Door and 4-Door with a twin turbo V6. 275 hp for the Sport from a turbo 4 engine.

With 35" tires, the 2 and 4 Door has an approach angle of 43.2 degrees. "The breakover is 21.1 and 20.0 degrees while the departure is listed at 37.2 and 37.0 for the two- and four-door, respectively."

It's on the T6 architecture which is shared with the Ford Ranger

The V6 only comes with a 10 speed auto.

It has a GOAT mode or Go Over Any Terrain mode.

It uses the Sync4 intertainment system which appears to be similar to the Mach-E's

It can do the following: "displaying views from the 360-degree camera system, providing insights to off-road telemetry, and showing expertly developed off-road maps from NeoTreks’ AccuTerra Maps, Trails Offroad trail guides and FunTreks trail guides. It's capable of over-the-air (OTA) updates that can be installed when most convenient, like at night when the Bronco is parked."

"the two-door model, Ford has held the starting price to $29,995 including delivery. Step up to a four-door and you'll spend at least $34,695"

" Ford is pricing the Bronco Sport at a hefty $28,155"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34770/2021-ford-bronco-an-off-road-legend-returns-at-29995

https://www.motor1.com/news/433712/2021-ford-bronco-sport/

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1594677543966-top2.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1594671100599-bronco_parts_011.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1594671703761-bronco_2dr_interior_011.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1594671926559-bronco_4dr_interior_021.jpg

message-editor%2F1594670777342-bronco_4dr_features_02.jpg

message-editor%2F1594670732590-bronco_2dr_features_04.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-sport-climbing-a-hill.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-sport.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest by saying I love that new design, I think it captures the essence of the original Bronco's look very well. Though I don't know how I feel about the Sport's front end. It's giving me late 90s Explorer and current-gen LR Defender vibes. The rear end doesn't look too bad though on the Sport.

Are there 2 versions of the doors? There's one with holes like Mclaren Senna and there's a normal one.

I'm going to assume the door with the large cutout is part of the aftermarket offerings.

I really, really like the 2-door Bronco. I want to see what the $29k model looks like - those 35s just seem overkill. The powertrain options seem right on the money, and I think even the base model 4 cylinder turbo will be great fun, especially as it can be paired to a manual gearbox. Jeep must be sweating a bit right now.

I misread some of the stats. The Sport is built on the Escape platform. The Sport comes with a 181 hp 1.5L 3 cylinder for the base model. It can be upgraded to a 245 hp 2L turbo 4 cylinder. The Sport only comes with an 8 speed auto. The other two engines are only available for the 2 or 4 Door.

Some in person video and stock footage

Colors and trims:

2021-ford-bronco.jpg

2021-ford-bronco.jpg

2021-ford-bronco.jpg

Last edited:
This is what $34,695 gets you, the 4-Door Base

upload_2020-7-14_0-53-3.png

You'll need to go all the way to the Outer Banks trim to get the LED lights

upload_2020-7-14_0-54-35.png

Here's the base Sport model

vehicle.png

If anyone's interested in the details, I recommend checking out this guy's Twitter in the coming days as he scours for every single part number

Per the website, the base 2-door actually starts at 28,500. The big bend model looks the nicest, IMO.

edit: 2-door base model.

waMRFu4.png

I mean, I'd get orange probably, but this looks just soo right to me. I don't need the knobbly tires.

There's a sort of pre-configurator up which allows you to see at least the color options:
https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/2021/

Last edited:
Per the website, the base 2-door actually starts at 28,500.
That's excluding: "destination/delivery fee plus government fees and taxes, any finance charges, any dealer processing charge, any electronic filing charge, and any emission testing charge." The official number including those fees brings it up to $29,995.

No solid front axle means CV failure for days(if you plan on going offroad that is).

No it doesn't. I took my Tacoma through all sorts of stuff and never once had a CV failure or even premature wear on them, even after my truck was lifted 3" putting extra stress on the joints. People off-road independent front suspension vehicles all the time without issues. They need maintenance sure, but any vehicle you're taking off-road is going to need more maintenance.

Almost certainly only going to be sold in the US and Canada. Diesels are such a small market there that it’s not worth the development cost for something like the Bronco.

There's no real development that needs to be done, the 3.2L Duratorq TDCi already meets USA emission standards. It would easily fit in the Bronco too. Plus both the Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator and the Colorado ZR2 have diesel options.

Honestly, the engine is what keeps me from going out and buying a Ranger. Ford's engine choice with the Bronco has now knocked that off my list too. If I'm going to get a mid-sized truck or SUV that's made for backcountry travel, it's going to be a diesel due to reliability, range, and torque.

There's no real development that needs to be done, the 3.2L Duratorq TDCi already meets USA emission standards. It would easily fit in the Bronco too. Plus both the Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator and the Colorado ZR2 have diesel options.

Honestly, the engine is what keeps me from going out and buying a Ranger. Ford's engine choice with the Bronco has now knocked that off my list too. If I'm going to get a mid-sized truck or SUV that's made for backcountry travel, it's going to be a diesel due to reliability, range, and torque.
I’m sure Ford did their market research and saw the sales numbers on them. Wouldn’t be surprising if they make up less than 5% of all sales for them. Ford probably concluded it wasn’t worth the effort, at least not at launch. The Wrangler and Colorado are both sold internationally in markets where diesels have a much larger market share.

No it doesn't. I took my Tacoma through all sorts of stuff and never once had a CV failure or even premature wear on them, even after my truck was lifted 3" putting extra stress on the joints. People off-road independent front suspension vehicles all the time without issues. They need maintenance sure, but any vehicle you're taking off-road is going to need more maintenance.
Depends what you call offroading, any kind of crawling that would be expected of a Wrangler involving rocks is risky for CV failure on IFS 4WDs, and it's that sort of stuff this car looks marketed too.

Apparently it can only tow 3500 pounds. Not a big deal for something like this but why? My dinosaur 4Runner can tow 5000.

I’m sure Ford did their market research and saw the sales numbers on them. Wouldn’t be surprising if they make up less than 5% of all sales for them. Ford probably concluded it wasn’t worth the effort, at least not at launch. The Wrangler and Colorado are both sold internationally in markets where diesels have a much larger market share.

The T6 Ranger is sold pretty much everywhere on Earth and, presumably, the Bronco will be too. Ford has a global strategy when it comes to their vehicles. It's why the Focus is now a global platform and why the Mazda derived Ranger was dropped in 2012.

The only reason I can see that Ford doesn't offer a diesel option for the Ranger is that they want to push people to buy the F-series instead.

Depends what you call offroading, any kind of crawling that would be expected of a Wrangler involving rocks is risky for CV failure on IFS 4WDs, and it's that sort of stuff this car looks marketed too.

If you're planning on doing that kind of off-roading a stock vehicle isn't going to make it regardless. The only time a solid axle is needed is if you're doing actual rock crawling, and even a stock Jeep Rubicon can't do that. Climbing up a rocky trail or trying to cross a rocky river though? An IFS vehicle will do just fine. Yes, the CV joints might need a bit more maintenance, but it's not like they're going to absolutely fail. As I said, I had a lifted Tacoma with 33's and never damaged my CV joints, I wasn't exactly easy on my truck either.

Apparently it can only tow 3500 pounds. Not a big deal for something like this but why? My dinosaur 4Runner can tow 5000.

Probably with the I4 since that's what the Ranger is rated at. I'm not sure about the V6, it should be more, but if it's anything less than 5,000lbs it's disappointing.

Back