Formatting Seagate external hard drive on PS4 - lose data?

• Thread starter Highlandor
  • 3 comments
United Kingdom
Retired to a padded cell
GTP_Padded_Cell
Microsoft sucks..
Hi,

Wondered if someone can help?

I have a seagate external hard drive and am thinking of using it for my PS4 (I have basic PS4 with 400GB storage but can't have all my games on the PS4 as these go toway above 400GB). After plugging it in, it says it needs to be formatted as extended storage.

What will happen to the saved films, TV etc that's currently on the hard drive, will these be lost or affected in any way?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give 👍

Hi,

Wondered if someone can help?

I have a seagate external hard drive and am thinking of using it for my PS4 (I have basic PS4 with 400GB storage but can't have all my games on the PS4 as these go toway above 400GB). After plugging it in, it says it needs to be formatted as extended storage.

What will happen to the saved films, TV etc that's currently on the hard drive, will these be lost or affected in any way?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give 👍
Unfortunately yes, anything you currently have on the hard drive will be wiped as the console needs to format the drive for PS4 storage.

Just for reassurance @MaxAttack is absolutely right. When you change the use of a hardrive from say Windows to a PS4 or an X-Box etc, the systems use different file structures and they have to reformat the drive accordingly which wipes the drive in the process.

Back