Formula 1 2009: The Launch Season

• Thread starter Metar
  • 601 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see what the mclaren looks like and where best to see Hamilton break parts of his car :mischievous:
I'm going to put my money on Kimi's rear wing, in the pits, while at a red light. It's like Cluedo.

Nope some pictures of testing the 09.

p90044522-470x312.jpg

p90044519-470x312.jpg

p90044525-470x312.jpg

If anyone wants them much higher res, which I doubt but...
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/p90044522.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/p90044519.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/p90044525.jpg

Last edited:
Nope some test pics of the 09.
"Test" being the operative word. It's likely BMW put together an '09-spec aero package and ran it to gain data on how it would work under race conditions, which they then worked into their design of the car. I seriously doubt the final car will resemble a combine harvester the way that one does.

To be fair, keeping in mind its looks very similar to the 09 wings we saw a couple of months ago and the fact the launch day is only days away, its not going to be surprising if thats what the F1.09 looks like, I doubt they've developed a massively different design we haven't seen yet and they're just testing if that one still works.
Trust BMW to design the ugly car.

well the Toyota so far is the best looking car of 09 in my opinion based off the Ferrari and what we know most likely BMW is going to show. guess we get to see what McLaren is going to be running today. anyone know what time they are going to unveil it?

well the Toyota so far is the best looking car of 09 in my opinion based off the Ferrari and what we know most likely BMW is going to show. guess we get to see what McLaren is going to be running today. anyone know what time they are going to unveil it?
I'd guess about noon, Greenwich time. Ferrari and Toyota both did it, and everyone's going for a low-key approach this year, unlike previous unveilings, like McLaren driving the streets of Valencia at sunset in 2007.

The timer says 00.00.00.00 on mclaren's site, but they are unveiling it in a press conference so we wont get pictures yet.

EDIT: Just appeared on www.f1.com. I'll post when they get to GPUpdate.

Hmmm, can't really see much of it because the camera is at an odd angle and the car is mounted on a rack with Hamilton and Kovalainen in front of the part I'm most interested in. But it does look like it has a nosecone mounted much higher than the Ferrari, and they seem to be going for a more arc-like line leading into the monocoque like Toyota. But the big differences are firstly in that small hole just behind the engine cowling above the driver's head, and the back half of the rear wing; they've clearly scalloped part of it out.

Is it just me, or does the front end - wing to cockpit - seem longer than the F60 and TF109?

117039.jpg
mclaren-launch-z-06_160109.jpg

117040.jpg

more posted when they arrive

Exhausts look quite interesting.

Last edited:
I think its on the mclaren site now but its taking forever to load a page.

must be getting global traffic just like toyota yesterday

Like the McLaren, nicest so far for me, then toyota, then ferarri and finally BMW but thats only because I have to mention it.

Two things:
1) it was explained to you that that was only a test package, and in no way indicative of the final car.
2) why do you "have" to meniton it??

1. Well it's very close to launch so it will most likely look like that, if not only slight changes.
2. I felt I should mention it because I was ordering the cars from favourite to least favourite. Ok "have" to was the wrong word but you really are nit-picking.

Anything else Wrong, Wanna Moan some more. I'm only trying to be helpful by posting up some pictures of the BMW.
You sound like you have something against me, what is it?

They were getting better, from the test BMW, test Honda, launch ferrari, launch Toyota and then comes McL to 🤬 it up for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how that new Fugly sidepod design goes against a ferrari or toyota sidepod with side pod shields.

Last edited:
ok i have to say from the frontal view that is by far the ugliest looking car ive seen so far.the sidepods make me want to gouge my eyes out. and i cant say im a big fan of that front wing either. toyota is still in the lead for best looking in my opinion.

I wonder how that new Fugly sidepod design goes against a ferrari or toyota sidepod with barge boards.

The McMerc has barge boards. Didn't realize the sidepod shields were aka'd as barge boards.

Last edited:
ok i have to say from the frontal view that is by far the ugliest looking car ive seen so far.the sidepods make me want to gouge my eyes out. and i cant say im a big fan of that front wing either. toyota is still in the lead for best looking in my opinion.

Plus, any team that decides to launch their car as a spoof-horror-trailer deserves to win 👍 :lol:
I still can't stop laughing at Jarno's over-enthusiastic "yeah!".

The McMerc has barge boards. Didn't realize the sidepod shields were aka'd as barge boards.

Oops my bad.
EDIT:
Wait, what? They are known as barge boards but then barge boards are also barge boards.

I'll go take a nap after that headacke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back