Formula 1 2013 Season Opener Melbourne 17th March

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 909 comments
And you don't think that's him making up some excuse to try and cover his own ass?
No. I don't. I suppose that with all his incidents last season, it's easy to forget that he is in fact a quick guy, and also scored three podiums over the course of the twenty races. Also he was running on the pace all weekend, but he didn't show the same pace during the Grand Prix. So if there does turn out to be something up with the car, I won't be at all surprised.

And you don't think that's him making up some excuse to try and cover his own ass?

I'm sceptical.
Even if there was no problem with the car, his poor start meant he was stuck in traffic all race. He never got the clean air that Kimi did. We will see better from Romain in Malaysia.
Well, I'll have to eat humble pie with regards to Sutil and Bianchi (and Di Resta I guess). I felt Sutil was a dull choice, Bianchi might be a tad inconsistent and Di Resta would also be underwhelming but a great race for these guys.
You don't have to eat anything. The Force India is a very good car, neither Sutil nor Di Resta have magically improved, both are mediocre. Has either beaten a teammate that deserves to be in F1? The answer remains no.

Can someone tell Jean Todt denim shirts went out of fashion in 1997?

In fact they have been quite in the last year. I doubt that Jean Todt knows that though.

david-beckham-3.jpg

The front runners will do like 10 laps or less then dive into the pits to stay on Mediums for the rest of the race. Probably just three stops.

I should work for a team heh heh.

Here's the strategies breakdown for round 1:

ut8SQTx.png

Just look at how quickly RB were done compared to the others. Weird ones that stick out in regards to bad Options degradation is Gutierrez and Grosjean. I need to rewatch the race or timing again to see if they were stuck in a pack or whatever, but it's worrying to see that Gutierrez had come in for Mediums so soon since his Super Softs were brand new. It's a shame Hulk didn't race so we could get a better feel for the car's race pace and tire management.

But check out Hamilton, he was really able to extract the most of anyone out of those SS tires (thus is the state of modern F1, it's not who's flat out fastest, but who can be most consistent and smooth with the rubber). Rosberg was on the same strategy but the car dipped on him unfortunately. Seeing how close Hamilton's last two stops were together tells me they aborted a 2 stopper attempt. Could've worked out great had he not had to battle so hard to get clear air.

Looking at FI's choice to bring in Sutil on lap 46 seems like a big mistake on paper here now. Should've tried to nurse that second set of Med's for longer so he could slam out some quick defence laps at the end on the SS's.
Another thing to note about them: look at how similar Di Resta's strategy was to Kimi's. Their car is quite good on tires and reliable as taxes, they should be able to go far this year. Good on him and his.

Another weird thing I see here is that supposedly Lotus slapped a set of used Med's on Grosjean's car for some reason.

Took me long enough to catch up...

I didn't really see Kimi doing anything. I saw him sell Sutil a nice dummy - where other cars were stuck behind him for severalty laps - but otherwise he didn't seem to do much. Alonso, Vettel, Massa and Hamilton were all working their socks off, but Kimi... nothing.

And he won the race by a fairly comfortable margin. I dread to think what he's going to do when he has to expend some effort. Either way, I'm off to put some money on him.

Kimi agrees.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106110

That Bianchi guy is no joke , he would do well in a proper car

True, he seemed to do really well, only around 0.4 seconds of the nearest mid field car in qualifying and a whole 0.8 seconds ahead of his team mate. Marussia as a whole seem to have improved a lot. Hope they can clinch 10th place in the constructors this year (since there's only 19 races :sly:)

Even if there was no problem with the car, his poor start meant he was stuck in traffic all race. He never got the clean air that Kimi did. We will see better from Romain in Malaysia.

I agree, I don't think this race was a Grosjean's true pace. Hopefully he'll do much better in Malaysia.

Well, all evidence points to this season being a toss up, at least for the first few races, just like last year. People are going to be winning through sheer luck.

If you're lucky enough to be in the right place on track at the right times according to traffic flow, and you don't crash, you're golden. That takes skill, but it's not the same set that used to be needed in F1. Kimi was lucky and he knows it.

So the best drivers in the world are now tire babysitter poker players.

I was so thrilled that F1 finally started, What an race! 👍
There was alot of times that i really didnt understand who was going to pit and who already did.. not even mention that who was going with 2 or 3 pits :dunce: But that make it even more exciting to watch!

I've seen the race, read some reports, and still don't know about the laps 54-56 mystery concerning Grosjean, Vergne and Perrez.
At lap 54, Button (p9) is being catch up by Grosjean (p10 +.9s), himself catch up by Vergne ( p11 +.4s). Perrez is p12, late by 4.5s. But TV director stays on Kimi, so only gap info speaks: Vergne shortly appears in front of Grosjean, then both lose several seconds : Vergne becomes p12 (+2s) and then we see (as TV director wake up) Grosjean defending his position against Perrez. I didn't see any mention of that incident anywhere, if someone has any info about that...

Webber won't be much help to RB, wouldn't be surprised to see him canned after this season. If they continue having tire trouble, it could be a tough uphill climb for Vettel. Alonso and Massa might be more than RB can handle, but they've always been a second half team, so only time will tell. Will be interesting to see if Lotus can continue to win the wear war, but just because Kimi won so effortlessly with a stop less than Alonso and Vettel doesn't mean he's necessarily going to do better when he is under more pressure. Again, we can only wait and see.

Very interesting start to the season! Wish McLaren blew a little less...looks like they'll be in a whole mess of trouble for at least another year or two :(

Webber won't be much help to RB, wouldn't be surprised to see him canned after this season. If they continue having tire trouble, it could be a tough uphill climb for Vettel. Alonso and Massa might be more than RB can handle, but they've always been a second half team, so only time will tell. Will be interesting to see if Lotus can continue to win the wear war, but just because Kimi won so effortlessly with a stop less than Alonso and Vettel doesn't mean he's necessarily going to do better when he is under more pressure. Again, we can only wait and see.

Very interesting start to the season! Wish McLaren blew a little less...looks like they'll be in a whole mess of trouble for at least another year or two :(

Have you seen 10 races this year that we've missed? Because you're jumping to a lot of conclusions after just one race.

Great race, glad F1 is back. A few things, however, bothered me.

First, Massa got screwed big time. Again. I wonder if Alonso's blackmailing someone at Ferrari because to have them pull this crap in the very first race is appalling. I don't think it was an honest mistake. In his first and third stint he stayed out too damn long, and barely did any laps on his second stint. I really think he would've been 1st or 2nd if they'd pitted him first instead of Alonso. I'm a fan of Ferrari and both drivers really but I feel sorry for him. He's been faster than Fernando in the past 5 or 6 races.

Second, I don't want to start a political war but why's everyone so bias towards Hamilton? Espcially Johnny Herbert. They've been taking turns crapping all over Rosberg all weekend. Brundle even said at one point "Rosberg saying; yes I can hold onto Hamilton". Really? He kept up with 2012 Schumacher(Who was fantastic), and he's always been quick but equipment-less. Why can't you at least give them equal chances? The reason Nico didn't get a good lap in Q3 is because his engineer told him they need 3 timed laps that's it. After that he just stayed out there destroying his tyres till the very end of the session and got a lap in behind traffic. During the race he wasn't doing bad at all but it's the usual failures Mercedes have been having that failed him. Show the guy some respect.

Finally, the same deal but with Grosjean. I think some of you guys have said it already but please give this guy the credit he deserves. He's one of the fastest guys out there who's just been unfortunate in some cases, and done a few mistakes in others. Ted from Skysports said he didn't get the new parts that were on Kimi's car till Saturday and he only did 2 laps on them for the set up. That, along with what I think is a damaged car and running in dirty air a lot kept him there.

As for the rest of the Grand prix, driver of the day is definitely Sutil. He's been great throughout the weekend and what a race he's had. He had the advantage of the clean air in front of him but keep others off and maintaining his tyres were a great effort. I think if he had done his SS stop early, ruined them in 4 laps to create a gap and come again for Mediums he wouldn't have lost out to Hamilton/Webber. He was losing a lot of time on his last few laps with the Mediums and then his SS stopped working shortly after his stop.

Moment of the race: Dat presence of mind when Alonso noticed Hamilton locking up.

Btw, this is what happens when you get a divorce and feel all bachelory as Kimi recently had happen. Totally explains his win :P
I said that about Alonso last year. From personal experiences I can confirm it. "99 problems but a ** ain't 1" seems to bring magic out of a man.

booing Vettel? Stay classy race fans
What's wrong with that? Everyone's free to like and dislike whoever they want, and be vocal about it. If you'd like to live in a world where there's only "like", go back to facebook.

Interestingly, Ferrari was the only car able to accelerate at the apex of turn 1, all the others could only hit the gas about 5 meters further on. RBR looked very loose at the rear.
Both cars?

Kimi ran an awesome race. Really good overall.

Webber is having some strange issues; according to Adrian Newey it's Mark's fault for not doing proper pre-race preperations for the KERS failure.
That, and his telemetry wasn't being transmitted to the pits...
He looked nothing short of dejected after the race.

Webber won't be much help to RB, wouldn't be surprised to see him canned after this season.
This just saddens me. Poor guy haven't had a full race without something going wrong with his car since Monaco last year. How many times has his kers failed? That, and the fact that the car is always developed to Vettel's liking. If you remember an interview with Christian Horner last year during the German GP, he said "Seb didn't like it anyway" in regards to the new illegal engine map. Defend it all you want but I think it's a slip indicating they always take his opinion on development rather than Webber's.

Anyway, I can't wait till next Weekend. I'm glad I picked Sutil, Kimi and Massa in my fantasy team. Rosberg was my 4th pick but it's a shame his car couldn't finish.

-

Forgot to mention Bianchi. Great job all weekend.

I'm not drawing any conclusions. Hence my double statement of "only time will tell"

If you're only referring to the McLaren statement, that was in no way based off of the Aus GP, though I would have liked to see Sergio break top 10. I'm more referring to the fact that we're losing Vodafone at the end of the season, Button/Perez will have trouble putting up the points that Hamilton/Button did, not to mention a whole mess of financial trouble. Of course there is a full season left, a lot can happen, and I have a lot of faith in Jenson, he's an excellent driver. I'm just worried about their prospects of hanging with RB an ever-improving Ferrari and Lotus, or even Hamilton and Mercedes.

Regardless, they're still my team of choice.

Edit: In response to BHR Racer, I agree that it is sad. Unfortunately RB will never cater to Webber as much as Vettel, just the way it is. I do feel bad for the guy, it seems Eminemfan's 2.2 Camry could get off the line faster.

Last edited:
Btw, this is what happens when you get a divorce and feel all bachelory as Kimi recently had happen. Totally explains his win :P

Meanwhile, Grosjean's wife is pregnant, after they get married a few month ago. Prost said once that being a father cost you a second in a F1.

I think the Massa situation was a case of the team didn't know what to do. Stay out in clean air or get fresh tyres.

So they split and Fernando happened to be the one who went the right way.

We've got TV audience results for France, and things are ugly: compared to same GP last year, audience has been cut by a factor of 4. Ecclestone just moved TV rights from the leading and access-free channel (TF1) to the benefit of a pay-tv channel (Canal +, which pays even less than previous contract). It looks like the man is getting what he deserves.

I'm just a newbie but I have to say that I don't understand why many commentators are blaming the car rather than the driver for tire degradation.

Suppose Vettel drove with an average slip angle of 8 degrees. Then dropping down to 6 degrees would save his tires at the expense of slightly slower lap times. I don't see how car setup figured in. How can the car be setup to have less tire wear when it's driven just as aggressively?

Last edited:
Decent race to start the season great race from Kimi.
Hami did well for 5th looks as though with more knowledge of the tyres he could win races.
Mclaren had a bad start to the season at least button got points,looks as though they've got work to do in woking,go back to last seasons car perhaps?
As far as Peri goes she did ok I think but you can tell when she's being told what to say,but I'm sure she'll get into it soon.

Mclaren had a bad start to the season at least button got points,looks as though they've got work to do in woking,go back to last seasons car perhaps?

I've thought about that too, doubt they'll do it though. They've put a lot of work into the new car, just don't have it completely figured out yet.

Back