Formula 1 2013 Season Opener Melbourne 17th March

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 909 comments
You know on the side of Vettels helmet its got the websit for Redbull Stratos..well its Redbull Stratos the name of the ship/pod that Felix Baumgartner used in that inccredible record-breaking leap from the edge of the earth last year?

That's what the helmet it based on, the space helmet.

You know on the side of Vettels helmet its got the websit for Redbull Stratos..well its Redbull Stratos the name of the ship/pod that Felix Baumgartner used in that inccredible record-breaking leap from the edge of the earth last year?

I think Redbull Stratos is the name of the whole project.

Jenson is a world champion. I imagine he gives it 100% all the time. I suppose there is a chance that an easier benchmark may make him slightly complacent after a while, but not two practice sessions...

No one is able to be at 100% all the times, but yeah I agree that it shouldnt affect him. However you never know, I mean just imagine when you go back at your pit, you see that you're in front of your teammate, you're happy, you're trying to adjust setup etc.. but still you think you're pretty fast. However when he was against Lewis and came back to his stand, most of the times he was behind, so he was probably trying a bit more to find out where and why he lost that time. Also Lewis was probably running his own setup most of the time, I'm not sure if Perez is already able to do the same or if he's using Button's one as a base.

I realize most of what I'm saying is assumption and I have no fact at all to back it up but it seems logical to me. The car surely isnt that great as well but I'm pretty sure that if Lewis was still at Mclaren he would be further ahead on the grid and would push Jenson more than Perez is doing atm.

Only McLaren knows how fast or slow they're going. Without telemetry to show us how badly each team is sandbagging down each straight or in each corner, we aren't going to know the relative strengths of the front-running teams until Q2 or Q3 tomorrow.

As some have pointed out in this thread, the W04 has been known for having somewhat better mechanical grip compared to the other machines this year. While this is most certainly true, it doesn't go back just to the birth of the W04, for in-fact Mercedes has been working on an advanced HIS (hydraulic interlinked suspension) since Bob Bell ordered the refined element into their package starting with the W02.

It should be no surprise to anyone that W04 has good mechanical grip. Mercedes have had good mechanical grip for a long time, especially W03.

Am I the only one that hates it when Drivers change helmets?

Liking Seb's new helmet, but yeah have to say, when they change it is annoying.

Every year is acceptable but every race is to much imo

Edit - correcting auto correct

Last edited:
Anyway. If this is another RedBull season, and so far it looks like it is, I'm going to stop watching F1.

I'm usually not surprised to read things like "F1 nowadays = boring" from people who don't actually watch F1, but this doesn't seem to be your case. I prefer to see a driver win 10 races by 1 sec ahead than 10 distinct drivers win one race each with 1 minute ahead.
I assiduously watch F1 since mid 80's, and in my opinion the 2012 season has delivered the highest average race intensity. 75% of races have seen fight for victory and podium until the finish line. It hadn't got the best season final (an actual final, at least), but considering the season race by race, i would sign both hands to get that level of competition every year from now.

Internet rule number one. Whenever someone asks, "Am I the only one..." the answer is usually "90% of people agree".
Internet rule number one: You don't mention internet rules

Liking Seb's new helmet, but yeah have to say, when the change us annoying.

Every year is acceptable but every race is to much.
I'm just surprised nobody asked him to stop.

I'm usually not surprised to read things like "F1 nowadays = boring" from people who don't actually watch F1, but this doesn't seem to be your case. I prefer to see a driver win 10 races by 1 sec ahead than 10 distinct drivers win one race each with 1 minute ahead.
I assiduously watch F1 since mid 80's, and in my opinion the 2012 season has delivered the highest average race intensity. 75% of races have seen fight for victory and podium until the finish line. It hadn't got the best season final (an actual final, at least), but considering the season race by race, i would sign both hands to get that level of competition every year from now.
I've been watching F1 since 1994. 2011 was the most boring season I can remember. This time though, it isn't about a single car finishing 10 races in 1st place by 1 second. It's the fact that it's the same damn team. I wouldn't mind if Ferrari, Mercedes, Mclaren or Lotus were dominant for a change. Worse yet, to have the same car on top in every single session, every single Grand Prix with both drivers is annoying. Not even the Schumacher days were that bad, at least his car wasn't always the fastest despite what everyone wants you to think.

Bianchi was very impressive, best thing to happen to Marussia in their short history. 0.9 quicker than Chilton.

Terrific news. I'm hoping Chilton gets thoroughly trounced all year long. Knowing the family, though, they'll probably tell Bianchi to pull over and let Alex through.

BHRxRacer, thanks you didn't see the 1988 season with Prost and Senna driving McLaren and winning all but one races. The most common race scenario then: both mclaren start on first line, then EVERY other drivers don't see them again until being overlapped (often 3rd driver included). Williams-Renault have killed championship the same way a few years later, and yes Ferrari did dominated technically the championship (Schumarer worked very hard oustide of the car to make this happened so they're nothing to its credit). You know when Barrichello win many races, the cars is good (i like this driver, but you see my point).

More seriously, 2012 was one of the least dominated by a given team of the last decades. There is always a team at the top (McLaren, Williams-Renault, Benetton, McLaren, Ferrari, Renault, McLaren, Brawn, RedBull), others trying to catchup. That the whole underlying mechanism of such high profile competition, fueled by engeneering emulation. It's part of the sport.

Back to 2013 first GP, there's a pending big mess with tires, as the end of 2nd Practice show a 6 sec loss after two or three laps with softer tires. So it could be suicide to qualify with that. But the rain could solve the problem.

Last edited:
Milouse
BHRxRacer, thanks you didn't saw the 1988 season with Prost and Senna driving McLaren and winning all but one races. The most common race scenario then: both mclaren start on first line, then EVERY other drivers don't see them again until being overlapped (often 3rd driver included).

Exactly...anyone who really thinks the racing is boring should be forced to watch the 1988 season in its entirety before commenting again. Prost and Senna was great in retrospect, but they only diced for the lead together about 3-4 times all season (Canada, Portugal, Japan, and France). Other than a pass by Berger at Australia, and Capelli's great tow at Suzuka...no other passes for the lead.

Regarding Helmets:

Whats exactly "annoying" about a driver switching helmets? If you know who they are and what team they drive for (especially in a series that rarely sees any sort of livery change over the season), then whats the problem? I pretty know who Vettel is no matter what interesting design his helmet has. Hell I see this all the time in other series and can still remember who is who.

I have this horrible feeling this is going to be 2011 all over again.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Why? Ferrari didn't seem too far behind, Mercedes showed promise, as did Lotus. McLaren will likely have to catch up in the first couple of races, which may help out the rest of the frontrunners. I think it will be more similar to last season.

The pecking order is probably what was expected for the top big five teams even before practice sessions started by the help of testing times and comments made by drivers. Red Bull looked unfazed by top winter testing time set by Mercedes, Ferrari looked relaxed by it, Lotus said they could match that pace while Jenson said they couldn't get anywhere near it IIRC. McLaren currently struggling a lot, hopefully they move a step in right direction tomorrow.

Midfield looking more interesting, so hopefully somehow we get a dry qualifying session tommorrow so we can learn more about pecking order at least for qualifying on this track. Race pace will be interesting as usual, as a Lewis fan I hope they have a car capable of competing against Red Bull.

Mercedes and Red Bull looking to be probably the fastest cars over one lap at moment and I think there is still quite a bit of fuel in both cars left and their WDC drivers didn't nail their first lap on the Super Softs too. I didn't really see much of the Ferrari and Lotus but we know they are fast going by times. Force India look to be setting off where they were last race, towards the front of the midfield so they are looking to be a 'surprise' as well as Williams in the opposite direction who don't seem to be doing as well.

Too early to really tell though as I'm sure setup will be worked on a lot which might unlock some performance for most teams, some more than others. If it is wet tomorrow in qualifying anything can happen I suppose so pecking order will still be unknown fully.

All I hope this season is Sebastian Vettel to be in reach to be raced against. He is so strong at the front especially with a car when it is fastest. His 4 race winning spree towards end of last season showed that he has still got it in him to deliver the goods when car is fastest like 2011. Sinking feeling is he might have the car to try and better his 2011 attempt but I hope that is not the case. We will see who sandbagged the most in these two practice sessions soon and I hope it is Mercedes.

well said Ali. As for Vettel, let's hope that Alonso at least can disturb him a bit more if he start a bit closer to 1st spot than last year. Let's just remember last year and how well he did in nearly all race despite starting 5th or 7th.

Whats exactly "annoying" about a driver switching helmets? If you know who they are and what team they drive for (especially in a series that rarely sees any sort of livery change over the season), then whats the problem? I pretty know who Vettel is no matter what interesting design his helmet has. Hell I see this all the time in other series and can still remember who is who.

Imagine if every driver switched helmets though..and keep in mind people at the trackside, without the TV graphics. You couldn't tell me what Vettel's design is, because he always changes it..but you can easily tell me what Hamilton or Button's designs are or even Webber's.

The t-cams help, but they're not always visible, the most visible thing is the helmet.

This is partly why I'm a fan of simple and effective helmet designs rather than complex or messy ones - at speed you only see a blur of colour generally. Telling the difference between Ricciardo and Vergne's helmets last year was basically impossible.

Hamilton/Rosberg are probably going to catch people out all year.

I most definitely miss the days when drivers kept the exact same design through their entire career. None of this changing colours to fit their latest team or allowing sponsors to take up the whole design. I don't mind when they change colours to distinguish with their teammate e.g. Hamilton/Rosberg or when Schumacher changed his compared to Barrichello.
But the teams can find other ways to distinguish, such as putting the names on the side of the cars, using bigger numbers or putting additional colour highlights.

I sometimes wonder if you guys have even been to a race and tried to work out who is who? Its not so easy when the helmets are messy designs and change every race. It helps when they are clear and consistent designs.

Last edited:
well said Ali. As for Vettel, let's hope that Alonso at least can disturb him a bit more if he start a bit closer to 1st spot than last year. Let's just remember last year and how well he did in nearly all race despite starting 5th or 7th.
Thanks. Last year you have to remember though that Red Bull only really started showing great qualifying speed consistently towards the end of the season and cutting into Alonso's lead even though he was still getting strong podium finishes. Vettel will be hard to catch if there are only few teams that can challenge him in early part of season. Competition is more like 2011 it seems than 2012 but probably still too early to tell.

Forgot to mention about tyres. That should be interesting for qualifying as Super Softs seem to be only capable of doing one fast lap so there will be huge pressure for driver to deliver without any costly mistakes. Tyre temperature could also mix the pecking order up a bit. It was interesting also seeing how 'dirty air' affected Red Bulls so could be a big factor in race regarding competitive overtaking being more difficult.

Imagine if every driver switched helmets though..and keep in mind people at the trackside, without the TV graphics. You couldn't tell me what Vettel's design is, because he always changes it..but you can easily tell me what Hamilton or Button's designs are or even Webber's.

Even with all the interesting designs Vettel has from Troy Lee Designs (or is it someone else?), He still has this logo visible:

1332345882-2444600681.jpg

Yeah, hard to see from an actual race but since I can't attend pretty much any sporting anyhow, that usually helps if we just go off helmet designs and onboards conventiently placed above their head.

I sometimes wonder if you guys have even been to a race and tried to work out who is who? Its not so easy when the helmets are messy designs and change every race. It helps when they are clear and consistent designs.

As its pretty much known to some, I haven't and chances are I never will simply do to everything being so damn pricey (and my irrational fear of driving/flying anywhere), but I don't rely entirely on the TV graphics or even the helmets to know whos driving what (The only exception being Sportscar racing since it involves multiple drivers per car). Its usually the cars that help me out because the numbers (something the onboards always help with since they are right there on the nose).

Of course, you could always get a mobile device with an app if its hard for you tell since it seems damn near everybody has one:P

Why? Because it annoys you?

Well that's that then, no driver is allowed to change their helmet design regularly because it annoys a few guys on the internet.

Glad you agree.

But seriously, a drivers helmet is part of his character, when you start watching F1 who do you support? 1st off its the car livery design you like, then after that its a drivers helmet.

If they keep changing there is no connection, Senna's helmet is iconic Vettel's is not.

Even with all the interesting designs Vettel has from Troy Lee Designs (or is it someone else?), He still has this logo visible:

1332345882-2444600681.jpg

A small logo on the back of the helmet is what you consider visible? The only time you'd see that is when he isn't in the car and a camera happens to be looking at his backside! :dunce:
No, currently the only reason you know its Vettel is that its not Mark Webber's helmet!

Its usually the cars that help me out because the numbers (something the onboards always help with since they are right there on the nose).

Yeah, um, the race number is not uniform across all cars though. Some teams display it quite visibly (recently Mercedes and Williams have made it quite clear). But other teams make it impossible to see. For most cars, you cannot see the race number except in from a top-down front view and an exact side-on view.
Not exactly brilliant track-side.

I would totally support the FIA mandating that race numbers are clearly visible on the cars though. It would be nice, but unfortunately the most visible areas (wings, sidepods, engine cover) are the most lucrative for sponsors..unless you're HRT :lol:

Of course, you could always get a mobile device with an app if its hard for you tell since it seems damn near everybody has one:P

Yes, I'm going to watch a car fly past at 200mph and look down at a phone at the same time am I?
No, I'd like to be able to watch the race. Not stare at a screen. Kind of defeats the point of being there? And you're also missing the point I'm making here - we're moving further and further away from spectators being able to follow the race with their eyes. Its seems a bit silly for people to pay all that money to go to a race only to then be having to stare at a tiny screen instead to work out whats going on. Its just a little backwards no?

You could maybe do it for the first 10 laps or so when the field is together and you're waiting for them to come around again - but at that point its also the point where its least confusing. Its later when the field separates out and pit stops happen that it becomes confusing. That's when you need to be able to not only watch with your own eyes but also tell who is who without having to stare for 30 seconds trying to make out tiny numbers, t-cams or messy helmet colours.

Fortunately we haven't got to the point where we have 2 drivers changing helmet every race, just Vettel. But I don't think its that weird for people to want to see more consistent and distinctive designs.

A small logo on the back of the helmet is what you consider visible? The only time you'd see that is when he isn't in the car and a camera happens to be looking at his backside! :dunce:
No, currently the only reason you know its Vettel is that its not Mark Webber's helmet!

Wow, no need to get out of shape. Funny enough, you didn't quote the part where I acknowledge this being a problem for the people in the audience:

Yeah, hard to see from an actual race but since I can't attend pretty much any sporting event anyhow, that usually helps if we just go off helmet designs and onboards conventiently placed above their head.

And also, the logo actually isn't always on the back of his helmet, sometimes its at the top of his helmet but you seem irritated already so I'll stop there.

Yeah, um, the race number is not uniform across all cars though. Some teams display it quite visibly (recently Mercedes and Williams have made it quite clear). But other teams make it impossible to see. For most cars, you cannot see the race number except in from a top-down front view and an exact side-on view.
Not exactly brilliant track-side.

Except I'm not saying you should be able to see them from trackside (I'm not saying this at all in my response), I simply stated that TV graphics aren't always how I tell what driver is driving.

I would totally support the FIA mandating that race numbers are clearly visible on the cars though. It would be nice, but unfortunately the most visible areas (wings, sidepods, engine cover) are the most lucrative for sponsors..unless you're HRT :lol:

I always wondered why they never went with the Indycar approach and had numbers placed on the rear wing endplates. You'd think that would be a no-brainer.

Yes, I'm going to watch a car fly past at 200mph and look down at a phone at the same time am I?
No, I'd like to be able to watch the race. Not stare at a screen. Kind of defeats the point of being there? And you're also missing the point I'm making here - we're moving further and further away from spectators being able to follow the race with their eyes. Its seems a bit silly for people to pay all that money to go to a race only to then be having to stare at a tiny screen instead to work out whats going on. Its just a little backwards no?

You could maybe do it for the first 10 laps or so when the field is together and you're waiting for them to come around again - but at that point its also the point where its least confusing. Its later when the field separates out and pit stops happen that it becomes confusing. That's when you need to be able to not only watch with your own eyes but also tell who is who without having to stare for 30 seconds trying to make out tiny numbers, t-cams or messy helmet colours.

Fortunately we haven't got to the point where we have 2 drivers changing helmet every race, just Vettel. But I don't think its that weird for people to want to see more consistent and distinctive designs.

I think you took that portion too seriously, I pretty said that as a joke for the very same backwards reason.

Might just be me, but sort've seems like you think I'm blowing off people who see the race live when I'm not (Do you have any idea how much I envy you people? :lol:), I asked what was annoying, you respond and I simply responded with how I tell the drivers apart while acknowledging twice I never have been to a race, something the other guys never really brought up but just said that they are "annoyed by it".

I'm not angry maybe I just need to use some more smilies. :):):)

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

To clarify, my flippant tone to that last post wasn't directed at you, but generally at the idea, even though I know you were joking. Probably should have said that.

But seriously, this was why people started painting helmets in the first place, to help people know who they are when they're speeding around. Race numbers used to be even bigger and there were more variations between cars, even more teams that only fielded 1 car and sponsors didn't take up space. And even then then you had people like Graham Hill personalising their helmet to help people recognise them.

I think its now got an element of tradition to it too and then you have obvious references to Senna's helmet being part of his image.

Oh and they won't put big numbers on the rear-wing endplates because of the same reason - lucrative sponsor space. The only reason they even have numbers on the front is because the FIA/FOM regulations stating so (just as they state that the team's logo must appear on the nose tip).
Nothing to stop the FIA putting it in the rules of course...

Last edited:
It's a list of livestreams, yes. You'll want to look under the "Live Streaming websites (updated and tested regularly)" section.

If it rains for quali it may give it to Merc since their car has better mechanical grip :).

Last edited:
Back