Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
Ha! You better have burn heal!

it's good banter, and to be fair there is some humour and some truth in Ericsson's post.

Both posts are great value entertainment, neither need to reference the elephant in the room of the integrity deficit that is blighting F1 at the moment...

I would wish that they could just start with getting basics consistent, the rules state unambiguously that the kerbs are not part of the track. The white line is the edge of the track. If they can't get that right why is anyone surprised when the stewarding and race direction is all over the place.

2000 different ways to make online payments and F1 TV only accepts credit cards. Is this 1995?

I was watching highlights of Day 3 testing at Bahrain on Formula 1's Youtube channel and they said if Ricciardo is unable to race next weekend due to testing positive for Covid that Alpine would release their reserve driver Oscar Piastri to fill in for McLaren. Who is McLaren's reserve driver and why wouldn't they be able to fill in for Ricciardo?

I was watching highlights of Day 3 testing at Bahrain on Formula 1's Youtube channel and they said if Ricciardo is unable to race next weekend due to testing positive for Covid that Alpine would release their reserve driver Oscar Piastri to fill in for McLaren. Who is McLaren's reserve driver and why wouldn't they be able to fill in for Ricciardo?
It's VanDoorne and De Vryes, but I believe there's a clash with FE in De Vryes' case, and it's unclear whether VanDoorne's super license is still valid or not.

Last edited:
It's VanDoorne and De Vryes, but I believe there's a clash with FE in De Vryes' case, and it's unclear whether VanDoorne's super license is still valid or not.
As long as it's not Mazepin.

Spa is done, at least in terms of the track. Still got to build some grandstands. One change I hadn't seen they were planning was a new alternative corner with no name, for the bikes. Car races will all remain with the old one.

Is it just me or did they widen that final chicane just a little bit?

Is it just me or did they widen that final chicane just a little bit?
Final chicane looks untouched to me, just look at the tarmac colour, it's darker where it was repaved.

New Raidillon looks good. It'll take us a while to get used to all that runoff, but it will be safer. Cars won't be spinning off and bouncing back onto the track as often, and any that spin far enough to go back across the circuit will at least not have hit anything, so the car's safety cell is still fully in tact if they do get collected.

Just a tad awkward to see Vettel in the intro knowing what just happened. Not saying this was bad as this was likely done well in advance, just a classic case of awkward timing.

How is that possibly awkward?
Well he's not racing this weekend because of that positive Covid-19 test but there he is in the intro. Its not a huge deal and this was likely done well in advance with no one predicting it was gonna happen, but its just strange to see him in the intro right after the recent news. Again, just the timing making for abit of an interesting juxtaposition for me.

Last edited:
Spa is done, at least in terms of the track. Still got to build some grandstands. One change I hadn't seen they were planning was a new alternative corner with no name, for the bikes. Car races will all remain with the old one.

It does feel a bit odd coming around the first corner and no longer seeing that big, covered grand stand, but I look forward to seeing side-by-side videos that will come as more race series visit the new layout.

F1 has announced its findings into Abu Dhabi.

Potted summary:

• Masi broke rule 48.12
  • Mercedes appealed to the stewards on the basis of rule 48.12 being broken - which we just said it was, but the stewards rejected
  • He didn't mean to break rules, it was an error caused by "immense pressure being applied by the teams" (lol, as if that needed to be a plural) and 48.12 and 48.13 are open to interpretation anyway
  • We've now changed the rule he broke so that he even more broke it
  • We've now got automated systems so that nobody can break it again
  • Even though he was acting to the best of his abilities and in good faith we've sacked him
  • Mercedes didn't appeal to the FIA International Court of Appeal, so we're not changing the results, even though the rule was broken, Mercedes appealed because the rule was broken, and the stewards they appealed to wrongly said it wasn't broken.
  • We're the FIA, go **** yourselves.

I think that covers it.

F1 has announced its findings into Abu Dhabi.

Potted summary:

• Masi broke rule 48.12
  • Mercedes appealed to the stewards on the basis of rule 48.12 being broken - which we just said it was, but the stewards rejected
  • He didn't mean to break rules, it was an error caused by "immense pressure being applied by the teams" (lol, as if that needed to be a plural) and 48.12 and 48.13 are open to interpretation anyway
  • We've now changed the rule he broke so that he even more broke it
  • We've now got automated systems so that nobody can break it again
  • Even though he was acting to the best of his abilities and in good faith we've sacked him
  • Mercedes didn't appeal to the FIA International Court of Appeal, so we're not changing the results, even though the rule was broken, Mercedes appealed because the rule was broken, and the stewards they appealed to wrongly said it wasn't broken.
  • We're the FIA, go **** yourselves.

I think that covers it.

The report seems like a bit of a pile of crap. I just hope this first race is suitably crap and is somehow bad for the FIA now.

For years and years in many discussions I have offers devil's advocate points of view against complaints against F1, and I maintained positive optimism for always being able to hope things could always get better.

At the moment I just feel broken by F1 and very depressed as it has been a major interest (obsession) for me for most of my life.

I still don't understand why Porsche would even be interested in any partnership with Red Bull. There is Porsche as very well positioned sportscar manufacturer with the 911 as a legend and a long motorsport heritage in multiple disciplines. The image is subtle, gentleman-like and their (sportscar) customers are very distinguished and at least middle aged customers. They also appear partly to young people who will also buy their clothes and accessories from their subbrand Porsche Design and lots of modelcars. But close to nobody from this group of age can buy a new Porsche of any sort and most will never be in that position later. Would be useless to even try and attract them in young age. Still most of the expensive Porsche Design clothing and stuff gets bought by the older Porsche 911 and SUV customers since they can afford it and have the fitting car in the garage.

And then there is Red Bull with its soda drink empire attracting teenagers and young adults with a boss in Mateschitz who is a denier of Covid 19 and is regularly sending young sports talents into death with horrible PR-stunts. With a motorsport consultant Marko who also has very weird phrasing (just back in Jeddah like Checo shouldn't pee his pants on a rocket attack while Mexico City (where Per doesn't even live) has high crime rates and lots of violence) and a strange worldview. There will likely be still a Verstappen in 2026 which doesn't klick any box of Porsche customers with lesser education, rude appearance and far away to any behaviour from anything you would call a gentleman.
Then there is the whole RB powertrain thing. Why would Porsche even consider building an engine which will seem to come from RedBull and their new facility stomped out of the ground with mainly Ex-Mercedes and Ex-Ferrari personnel and no heritage building RedBull-engines before 2026?

I absolutely don't get it what is in any way appealing to Porsche in this kind of deal giving their name and Motorsport heritage to a car with a red bull manufacturer tag on it and in this case also a second team named after a clothing company which is a direct competitor to Porsche Design in Alpha Tauri.
VW or even Audi were and are bonded with Red Bull and I can understand it especially with the WRC program and the Polo and getting the GTi and R letters decorated with a energy drink appealing to their customers. Same for Audi which was already a bit stranger but worked when they had a high but still affordable pricing in the 2000s for their smaller cars and even the S models.
I just can't see the connection between Porsche and RB and how that will be attractive to Porsche with all the mentioned flaws when they could get also onboard at Sauber or Williams.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why Porsche would even be interested in any partnership with Red Bull. There is Porsche as very well positioned sportscar manufacturer with the 911 as a legend and a long motorsport heritage in multiple disciplines. The image is subtle, gentleman-like and their (sportscar) customers are very distinguished and at least middle aged customers. They also appear partly to young people who will also buy their clothes and accessories from their subbrand Porsche Design and lots of modelcars. But close to nobody from this group of age can buy a new Porsche of any sort and most will never be in that position later. Would be useless to even try and attract them in young age. Still most of the expensive Porsche Design clothing and stuff gets bought by the older Porsche 911 and SUV customers since they can afford it and have the fitting car in the garage.

And then there is Red Bull with its soda drink empire attracting teenagers and young adults with a boss in Mateschitz who is a denier of Covid 19 and is regularly sending young sports talents into death with horrible PR-stunts. With a motorsport consultant Marko who also has very weird phrasing (just back in Jeddah like Checo shouldn't pee his pants on a rocket attack while Mexico City (where Per doesn't even live) has high crime rates and lots of violence) and a strange worldview. There will likely be still a Verstappen in 2026 which doesn't klick any box of Porsche customers with lesser education, rude appearance and far away to any behaviour from anything you would call a gentleman.
Then there is the whole RB powertrain thing. Why would Porsche even consider building an engine which will seem to come from RedBull and their new facility stomped out of the ground with mainly Ex-Mercedes and Ex-Ferrari personnel and no heritage building RedBull-engines before 2026?

I absolutely don't get it what is in any way appealing to Porsche in this kind of deal giving their name and Motorsport heritage to a car with a red bull manufacturer tag on it and in this case also a second team named after a clothing company which is a direct competitor to Porsche Design in Alpha Tauri.
VW or even Audi were and are bonded with Red Bull and I can understand it especially with the WRC program and the Polo and getting the GTi and R letters decorated with a energy drink appealing to their customers. Same for Audi which was already a bit stranger but worked when they had a high but still affordable pricing in the 2000s for their smaller cars and even the S models.
I just can't see the connection between Porsche and RB and how that will be attractive to Porsche with all the mentioned flaws when they could get also onboard at Sauber or Williams.
The short answer is that Sauber and Williams don't have money, Formula 1 Management doesn't take heritage as a surrogate payment for entry, and Porsche isn't going to enter the sport if they have to come in at the bottom and prattle around at the back for years. Red Bull can and likely will pay their entire cost of entry out of their own pocket and position them at a spot where they'll be earning points and possibly be in a championship position right from the get-go.

Seeing Bottas in a red and white Alfa with the blue paint on his helmet reminds me of Mika Salo during his year at Toyota.

ba5m2t0pxas81.jpg

2671188c10a94dea8a0d579438d69a3e.jpg

Can we go to Imola and not mention Senna for once please. Why are you celebrating someone at the place they died? We didn't have that much at Hockenheim for Clark or Suzuka for Bianchi. Celebrate Senna at Interlagos, and let's stop moping about him at the place he died and celebrate him instead where he had success and the most love. Also it's been 28 years, it's time to move on as a significant number of fans now were born after his death, so it means a lot less now.

Sorry but that looks terrible.
My favorite part of that post is that this (I'm assuming) incredibly expensive, very important art project is being held up on a set of wooden rollers.

Mind you, I'm not a professional painter, but that seems a bit ghetto to me.

Back