Formula 1 2022-23 Off Season and TESTING ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 331 comments
Thanks to this crappy series I cant even get tickets for the Australian Grand Prix.

I liked the old times of F1 at least where I could get tickets and go.
Whilst I do think the series is a bit too flamboyant and over dramatic for my tastes, the fact it's boosting the popularity of the sport globally isn't something I'll hold against it. That is only a positive thing for the sport.

I see it as a double edged sword. It's awesome how much more popular it made the sport but it also attracted a lot more tribalistic idiots.

also

0ade855saxja1.png

Last edited:
Morning live timing for Day 1 has Sainz topping the charts right now, so...

scrubs-all-aboard.gif

😅
Max derailing the early hype train:

1. Verstappen, Red Bull, 1m32.959s - 71 laps
  2. Sainz, Ferrari, 1m33.253s - 72 laps
  3. Albon, Williams, 1m33.671s - 74 laps
  4. Zhou, Alfa Romeo, 1m33.723s - 67 laps
  5. Russell, Mercedes, 1m34.174s - 69 laps
  6. Hulkenberg, Haas, 1m34.424s - 51 laps
  7. Drugovich, Aston Martin, 1m34.564s - 40 laps
  8. Tsunoda, AlphaTauri, 1m34.671s - 46 laps
  9. Gasly, Alpine, 1m34.822s - 60 laps
  10. Piastri, McLaren, 1m34.888s - 52 laps

GG, see you all next year!

The Red Bull shows less black than other cars. The missing carbon look is an indication that the RB19 is at the weight limit. Marko also confirms this: "We're at the weight limit. That was a strong performance from the team, considering how far we were over it last year." The smooth start of the test caused disbelief in the team: "It's almost frightening how early we were done with the new car this year and how smoothly everything has worked so far," Marko summed up after the first three hours of testing.

Last edited:
Looks like the porpoising issue is still there - looking at you Alpine, Ferrari, Haas and Mercedes (seems a lot less than last year)

The Ferrari/Alfa and Haas/Alpha Tauri will look identical on most broadcasts, except for the most close-up of shots.

Prepare for several announcer (and viewer) goofs.

Last edited:
I thought Mercs look exception steady and porpoise free from the onboards - there's some right at the very top end, and don't forget there's a couple of big bumps at the end of the Start/Finish straight.

I thought Mercs look exception steady and porpoise free from the onboards - there's some right at the very top end, and don't forget there's a couple of big bumps at the end of the Start/Finish straight.
True, apart from Ferrari and Alpine that I could see, it doesn't seem like it happens to the other cars on the start/finish straight. The Merc is steady, they are miles better than they were same time last year so that looks good and I know it's just testing but it still looks a bit slow 🤔. The Ferrari, the Red Bull (obviously) and even the Aston Martin looks quicker

The Ferrari/Alfa and Haas/Alpha Tauri will look identical on most broadcasts, except for the most close-up of shots.

Prepare for several announcer (and viewer) goofs.
AT and Haas have different front wings to tell them apart. Ferrari and Alfa? Might as well just brand them both as Fiat.

I know it's probably a bit misleading, but a very competitive car for Alonso would be:

Celebration Celebrates GIF by Formula 1
It's still a tenth off what the Aston did in Quali last year, and over 2 seconds slower than pole. Be cautious with the hype train.

hype or not, the Aston does look quick. I know we don't need to be reading too much into the lap times at this stage but the car doesn't look like a handful to drive like they were last year. Either that or Alonso is being real smooth with it lol

The Red Bull seems to just be in a different league with how poised and settled the car looks. I have a feeling that Max was not even pushing to get that lap time and the car is just so good that it just happened to post the quickest lap time.

Alonso was 4th quickest following the 3 days of last season's testing. Mick Schumacher was 2nd quickest... so i wouldn't read too much into it at this stage. :)

the fact it's boosting the popularity of the sport globally isn't something I'll hold against it. That is only a positive thing for the sport.
It's not Welcome To Wrexham. It's not like Formula One was a largely unknown sport prior to the documentary series. If you're a fan of sport at all, you'd have to have been living under a rock to not know what Formula One is. It was already a globally known sport and the fans brought into it seem to be largely a bunch of tribal, polarised morons.

It's not Welcome To Wrexham. It's not like Formula One was a largely unknown sport prior to the documentary series. If you're a fan of sport at all, you'd have to have been living under a rock to not know what Formula One is. It was already a globally known sport and the fans brought into it seem to be largely a bunch of tribal, polarised morons.
Definitely less-well known in America. If you're a gearhead or car fanatic, there's a much greater chance you might have heard of it.

If you're the typical US stick-and-ball fan (football, baseball, hockey, basketball), auto racing sort of gets mashed together so the average person is probably aware of Daytona / Indy 500 / Monte Carlo but not aware that those are part of three different racing series. So many different sporting series have made that push to be that Fifth Sport so it's a local, regional, cultural thing which latches onto something else, or it's based on individual choices/preferences.

Honestly, I don't think the tribalism is any greater nor worse because of Drive to Survive because I've heard inane arguments on the Internet since the mid-1990s. There's some neat angles to the background stuff that makes it worth some time but a good chunk of it is typical reality show fodder with interspersed expletives.

What but can one expect? It's mostly coming from wealthy twenty-somethings that have been pulled away from the rest of society, who have have a stick lodged firmly inside their motorhome seat, but teams and press are told that same shaft is completely odorless since that post comes with sponsorship.

Interestingly, there's going to be a spin-off from the direction of D2S for the PGA Tour.

Last edited:
Drive to Survive has introduced F1 to many many new fans, funnily enough, not everyone will have cared about F1 or followed it before, globally known sport or not, something can exist and people not care. The tribal morons have always existed, now you have social media to exacerbate that and thrust those morons into the spotlight with far more regularity. There is a minority of them who will have come via D2S, but the majority who will have started following F1 from D2S, aren't tribal morons.

Definitely less-well known in the Americas. If you're a gearhead or car fanatic, there's a much greater chance you might have heard of it.

If you're the typical US stick-and-ball fan (football, baseball, hockey, basketball), auto racing sort of gets mashed together so the average person is probably aware of Daytona / Indy 500 / Monte Carlo but not aware that those are part of three different racing series. So many different sporting series have made that push to be that Fifth Sport so it's a local, regional, cultural thing which latches onto something else, or it's based on individual choices/preferences.

Honestly, I don't think the tribalism is any greater nor worse because of Drive to Survive because I've heard inane arguments on the Internet since the mid-1990s. There's some neat angles to the background stuff that makes it worth some time but a good chunk of it is typical reality show fodder with interspersed expletives.

What but can one expect? It's mostly coming from wealthy twenty-somethings that have been pulled away from the rest of society, who have have a stick lodged firmly inside their motorhome seat, but teams and press are told that same shaft is completely odorless since that post comes with sponsorship.

Interestingly, there's going to be a spin-off from the direction of D2S for the PGA Tour.
There are three people here at work that knew nothing about F1 other than I liked it. But after they all started watching D2S they are constantly coming up to me during the season asking me questions or wanting to talk about how the season is going or what happened over a race weekend.

Drive to Survive has introduced F1 to many many new fans, funnily enough, not everyone will have cared about F1 or followed it before, globally known sport or not, something can exist and people not care. The tribal morons have always existed, now you have social media to exacerbate that and thrust those morons into the spotlight with far more regularity. There is a minority of them who will have come via D2S, but the majority who will have started following F1 from D2S, aren't tribal morons.
One of my non-car friends summed it up perfectly: "Before Drive To Survive I never even cared for F1"

Hopefully Stroll can make a quick recovery but it would be a farce if Drugovich doesn’t get the opportunity to race.

Back