Formula 1 Aramco Magyar Nagydíj 2022

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 281 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The fourth race within five weeks is the now-traditional last race before the summer break, the Hungaroring. This short and twisty layout in Central Europe has played host to Formula 1 unbreakingly since 1986 and has been host to some incredible races. Last year's barnstormer included a massive pile-up, Hamilton sitting on the grid alone, Williams' in podium positions and a battle for the win between Ocon and Vettel. This year has a lot to live up to - as do Ferrari who have a lot of headscratching after another disastrous loss of points last time out in France. Can they make it look like the title fight is a fight? Can Mercedes catch up and get to the top step too? This is one of Hamilton's favourite and most successful circuits, so if there's anywhere it's probably here. We wil have to find out at the HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX!
image (11).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.381km

Race Distance
306.63 km

Lap Record
1:16.627
Lewis Hamilton (2020)​

“Mercedes have a chance to win this”
- Somebody.

This story has come up every race weekend since Silverstone at least. It would be nice to see them win, but seems unrealistic without crashes or a few engines blowing up.
Ha, you got in before Saidur. Merc are still way off on pure pace, indeed.

So last weekend was the Ferrari driver error which means it's the team error this weekend. I'm gonna go with a 20 second stationary pit time trying to find wheels, they've not done that one yet this season.

Mercedes have as much chance of winning as Alfa Romeo or Haas; if all the cars in front of them fall off the road. They might be the first team to potentially capitalise on that but on pure pace they still aren't fast enough to challenge.

Mercedes this year is like Red Bull in 2017, without the awful reliability. So they might win a race or two, but only if the circumstances are perfect (such as Silverstone if the safety car period hadn't happened, but there they already got a track that suited them perfectly, problems for both Red Bulls, and poor race pace for the Ferraris).

Given Hungary is an acceleration-based circuit with slow corners, Ferrari should do better than RB, who are more suited to faster, flowing tracks with higher-speed corners. Merc will be right up there and pick up the pieces after the inevitable implosion/explosion of people/equipment from both of their competitors. I wouldn't be surprised to see another double podium from them, but I fear their best chance for a win has already passed them unless they make some exceptional upgrades over the summer holidays.

Mercedes this year is like Red Bull in 2017, without the awful reliability. So they might win a race or two, but only if the circumstances are perfect (such as Silverstone if the safety car period hadn't happened, but there they already got a track that suited them perfectly, problems for both Red Bulls, and poor race pace for the Ferraris).

Difference is Red Bull in 2017 were geuinely fast to enough to regularly challenge for wins, they just didn't because it was very close at the front and the cars were constantly breaking down. So in many respects they're the opposite of Mercedes in 2022.

Difference is Red Bull in 2017 were geuinely fast to enough to regularly challenge for wins, they just didn't because it was very close at the front and the cars were constantly breaking down. So in many respects they're the opposite of Mercedes in 2022.
Red Bull didn't have the pave to fight for any wins other than the ones they did win. They weren't even close either, both cars would often finish 30-60 seconds (or more!) behind the winner. They lost a lot of podiums because of poor reliability (especially Verstappen), but not wins.

Last edited:
I'm not holding my breath for a Merc victory because I think Ferrari will be very strong there (if they don't fumble) but considering this is one of Lewis' favorite track, I really hope he will be in a position to secure a win there this season.

It's impossible to guess where Merc pace will be. Hamiltons pace in Catalunya was race winning pace. Merc and Hamilton always go well here and Russell isn't too bad either. I think Ferrari will win but I wouldn't write Mercedes off.

he's retiring after this season
Well...

... he said "by the end of the 2022 season", which is ever so slightly different. Maybe he won't make it to the end of the year.

Well...

... he said "by the end of the 2022 season", which is ever so slightly different. Maybe he won't make it to the end of the year.
the team statement said he would race at Abu Dhabi, it would be his 300th race, nice round number to finish.

Just out of curiosity, besides Rosberg, has anyone else retire after winning a championship?
Hawthorn (1958), Stewart (1973) and Prost (1993). Mansell (1992) didn't retire but he left Formula One for CART.

Last edited:
I am going to miss Seb, can't say I didn't see it coming though. However it was quite something seeing everyone going "Welcome to social media!" and then the video arrived.
Disappointed Guy 28072022183036.jpg

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see who replaces Vettel. But honestly as long as the Strolls are running that team, it’s probably one of the least appealing seats on the grid.

At the time, I thought his “enjoy this moment, it doesn’t last” while doing donuts at COTA in 2013 was over the top for someone with such a bright future. Unfortunately, he was right.

Back