Formula 1 Aramco Magyar Nagydíj 2022

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 281 comments

Bitch Please Seriously GIF by reactionseditor
I mean it's impossible to win an F1 race if you start 2nd and 3rd and you're leading for more than a few laps.

Meanwhile Red Bull looked out of the window a few hours before the race, knew the cool and damp conditions would mean the hards would not work and changed to start on the softs at the last minute.
Apparently Max made that call.

Apparently Max made that call.
Well, a group decision by the sounds of it. Drivers felt the conditions, team analysed the situation, agreed to the change. How it should be.

“We switched our strategy on the grid,” Horner told Sky F1. “Going to the grid, both drivers (Verstappen and Sergio Perez) felt they were struggling to generate temperature in the soft tyres, which were the tyres to get to the grid, and we were due to start the race on the hard tyres.

“So we switched it on the grid to deal with the ambient conditions and a bit of rain around and so on, and the soft tyres went much further than we’d thought. So at that point we committed to a two-stop and went on to soft-medium-medium.
“We were going to start them both on the hard tyres,” added Horner. “That was statistically, if you follow the data, the best way for us to achieve what would have been maybe a fifth and sixth in the race.

“But of course sometimes the data has to go out of the window, where you look up and see what the weather’s doing and the temperature and you listen to the drivers, and both drivers were complaining they couldn’t generate the temperature on the softs on the way to the grid.
But even after the start Ferrari should've realised the situation and not gone for an early change to hards. Madness.

Last edited:
Imo, there's a certain image that's painted when it comes to the Scuderia, and a large portion of said image was influenced by the Schumacher years in which Ferrari totally dominated. Thing is, is that a large part of that successes is not only due to Michael's abilities as a driver, but the fact that he had a large number of personnel from Benneton follow him, including one Ross Brawn and Jean Todt (who I believe is the only non-Italian Team Principal Ferrari has ever had). Now Ferrari has the unenviable task of trying to match those legendary years with relatively new blood that has almost no connection to the Schumacher personnel, or seemingly taking to heart any of the methods that got them those wonderful years of success.

It's also why I don't believe sacking Binotto would really accomplish much by itself. While he has definitely made some mistakes of his own, Ferrari has been doing the whole musical-chairs act with its top positions for over a decade now, and have pretty much nothing to show for it. The team is still making the same mistakes that cost Seb and Alonso potential championships years ago, with no real indication of any effort being put into reversing these problems. It's especially frustrating when this happens despite Ferrari's engineers building themselves a very fast (albeit stereotypically Italian) race car.

The fact that these same issues have continued and have created the same results for so long tells me that this is, in some capacity, a corporate culture issue, which means that there needs to be a shakedown all the way up the Red Totem Pole if there's any hope of significant change. If that accomplishes nothing, and if I'm Charles (and possibly also Sainz), I'm trying to make a case to Toto Wolf to take me in when Lewis retires, because even though Mercedes are way off the mark in terms of overall pace, they're still doing a solid job of taking advantage of Ferraris mistakes and turning them into Top-5s and podiums.

Edit: Corrected by @Liquid.
You are right, it might have been because I was thinking of the Schumacher era, but at the same time they are the longest running team in F1. They should know how to win a season long championship. I really cannot fathom that a team could shoot themselves in the foot so many times. It's almost as if they enjoy the self-sabotage and they'll take every opportunity they can get and then come up with some bs excuse to justify why that was the right call.

In other news - I wonder if Alpine would take Dani Ric back or has that ship sailed??

Per GPBlog:

Why then is the big question. "we had also talked pre race about if the conditions are damp and cool, and that we could consider the soft tyre as the alternative because that might be better in those conditions. In the laps to the grid, both drivers were very vocal about having hardly any grip even though they were already on the soft tyres. The race engineers said we don't think the hards are a good idea."

What followed was a long discussion in which team boss Christian Horner also joined. Together they decided to go for softs. The fact that there was rain near the track also played a role. If there had been rain, Verstappen and Perez would have had no grip at all on the hard tyres.

Sounds like they did their homework on the laps to the grid. That reaction video from the cool down room says all Ferrari needs to know about their strategery.

Last edited:
The emergency goalie rule in the NHL is such that every amphitheater has to provide an emergency backup goaltender (known as EBUG) that is available to both teams should their main goalie and/or backup goalie not be able to play the game.

I never knew this was a thing. I figured some goon just had to fill that unexpected void.

Binotto has no vision whatsoever.

Fire this man and the chief strategists.

You are Ferrari and saying things like this we are not racing for the championship shows how far Ferrari has fallen. What are they racing for? Marketing for their new stupid suv?

Ferrari no longer cares about winning I dont want to hear about record sales or their crappy suv!! I want to hear victories and titles!!

Let's not forget Ferrari won their last drivers title 2007 way more to McLarens faults not deciding in favour to Alonso or Hamilton and not Ferrari beeing the quickest on the track and smartest on the pitwall. Even with Schumi, Brawn, Todt, etc. they weren't able to win in 2006 mostly due to reliability issues. 2005 was already a disaster with 6 DNF in 17 races für MSC and the only win in the 6 car Indy race. In 2008 they ruined it for Massa with the horrendous pitstop in Singapore just to mess up Alonsos title 2010 in Abu Dhabi with another bad timed pitstop. They really do have a fundamental structural problem and should find a solution with someone external. Look at Mercedes, McLaren and Racing Point/Force India (before the Strolls) and take notes.

Hungary was perhaps the absolute epitome of Formula 1's 2022 season possible.

• Qualifying meant absolutely nothing.
  • Incredible racing at the front that lasted well beyond DRS zones.
  • Verstappen won the race without even trying - even able to make a mistake and still cruise off.
  • Mercedes ending up on the podium by keeping their noses clean all race.
  • Ferrari throwing points away with silly errors, this time on the strategy.
  • Midfield battles ignored by the TV cameras.
  • Lando Norris managed to end up best-of-the-rest in a McLaren that isn't the 4th fastest car.
  • Aston Martin showing they have great race pace compared to trash quali pace.
  • An Alfa Romeo failed to make it to the finish.
The only thing really missing was a far-too-lenient 5 second penalty for a driver completely ruining someone else's race.

Back