Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 248 comments
The thing is that Mercedes isn't the only team that suffers from it (though, yeah, they'd definitely benefit the most if a rule change happened) & according to Toto, everyone but Alonso believes the porpoising is an issue.

Great race by Max. Mature driven and well deserved.
Handeling tires is a speciality and he owns that one.
If the RedBull would be more balanced instead of understeered, the races will be easier for him.

Now that the ‘bad’ results are equaled between Ferrari and RedBull, the current standing is a fair one, based on results.

Mercedes is reliable and still of pace, but they grab points.

The FIA should strongly suggest to Toto to stop injuring his drivers for mediocre results, and to stop getting the FIA to change the regulations so that the consequences of their poor design choices get eliminated.
Considering how much their drivers (George in particular) are beating this drum, I have a feeling that they also don't necessarily want a change to their car, because it means that they also wouldn't be able to get results. I wouldn't be surprised if Lewis and George had already been asked about this and they both said no to raising the ride height.

Honestly I don't see how Ferrari takes the fight to RB this year. Between their car that is incredibly unreliable and their god awful strategy every week, RB has a pretty clear view of the championship.
To think, that there were a lot of people who were proclaiming after a couple races that the championship was a foregone conclusion because RB were the ones breaking down...

Binotto
The performance increase was enormous and we are paying for it in terms of reliability. It was a concern when we didn't get excited at the beginning of the year. We will analyze but we do not have the time to correct or make structural changes towards Canada, we have to manage, we will clearly have to put new components ...
Wonder if that means Ferrari will be turning down the car for the next couple races to help Charles actually get some sort of points.

Edit*
Reading comments that Gasly & Danny said they're sore from the bouncing today.

Last edited:
How many world championships has Ferrari fumbled away in the last decade?
Quite a few it seems. 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018. Especially 17 and 18, they and Vettel made way too many errors in the second half of each of those seasons.

u8CdT76.jpg

I was one of the people who thought that Ferrari has finally got something and hopefully the fight would go to the end. While I'm not saying it's already over, it's difficult to believe that Ferrari has what it takes to go all the way to the end. They really need more consistency to able to fight against red bull and they are lacking that big time....even will all the bouncing with the Merc, they seems to be more consistent than Ferrari. I hope Merc will get on top of their issues and we get a fight with the red bull toward the latter part of the season...as it stands Red Bull and Max is definitely running away with it.

rsh
Now that the ‘bad’ results are equaled between Ferrari and RedBull, the current standing is a fair one, based on results.
Is it really fair when Max retired from P2, while Charles fell out of the running from a comfortable and commanding lead on both occasions?

Yes. A DNF is a 0 result.
What if’s don’t count.

Edit; to finish first, you first need to finish

Last edited:
One more thing that makes the Sky coverage look like a bunch of amateurs - when you have one announcer saying Sharl LeClair, one saying Charles LeClair and one saying Charles LeClerk all within seconds of each other.
Pick a pronunciation and make it standard actoss the board.

So Ferrari's problem continues more than just S(pain).

Spinbastian on the rescue (for AM) in the first attempt.... though he got locked into the outside, the spinning part back to the track was almost instantaeous.

Well as a neutral Ferrari are really killing this season for entertainment at the front, another race killed dead because of their failures. just classic Ferrari things I guess.

Without a huge turn of fortune then this season is going to be a rather damp squib.

Man it’s hard being an F1 fan in the USA, I wake up Sunday morning, race is already over. Desperately trying to play catch up, so Max wins which is great, had my money on him, getting paid today! I had a feeling something would happen to Leclerc, but Jfc a DNF due to engine issues? The guy just can’t catch a break… I mean isn’t that like 5 poles in a row in Qualifying? That’s gotta hurt, no way around it, to do so good setting times and always have something go wrong in the race just sucks.
Happy to see Hamilton in top 5, exactly what I wanted to see. Driver of the day 100%

Max had has two engine failures.

Charles has had two engines failures.

I'd call that even.
Max's engine suffered a fuel issue, that is not the same as the Mr Piston going "Will you marry me Mrs Valve"

What point are we even arguing here? It's pretty obvious where we're at, LEC and VER have both had two DNFs and the difference elsewhere is Ferrari making mistakes, both the team and the driver, and Red Bull having slightly better race pace.

Another difference is that Ferrari's issues seem more serious, whatever caused the Red Bull retirements seem to be ancillary in nature, ie the fuel system.

Put it all together and it doesn't look good for anyone hoping for the two teams to be fighting it out the rest of the season, but of course always keep in mind that Murray quote.

Last edited:
Mercedes drivers are going to act like they need to be put on life support after the Canadian Grand Prix next in their attempt to have FIA hobble teams that generate more grip with less porpoising

Ah yes, more of the, "37 year old driver jack hammering for 51 laps must be acting" rhetoric. Because nobody else today or since the season has started has said how the porpoising hurts.

Last edited:
Ah yes, more of the, "37 year old driver jack hammering for 51 laps must be acting" rhetoric. Because nobody else today or since the season has started has said how the porpoising hurts.
And in case anyone thinks it's only Mercedes complaining about it after this weekend...

Now, don't get me wrong, I do think that Mercedes should just bite the bullet (by outside forces or otherwise), and just raise the ride height at the cost of performance, primarily because it is a genuine hazard to the health of the drivers. To that end, you (not specifically you @McLaren) have to be a rather dense individual if you see Lewis (or any other driver for that matter) grimacing in pain when they get out of their cars and think it's nothing but an act. Lewis saying his seat was going cold is not a good sign, because it could potentially be a sign of numbness.

Last edited:
And in case anyone thinks it's only Mercedes complaining about it after this weekend...

Now, don't get me wrong, I do think that Mercedes should just bite the bullet (by outside forces or otherwise), and just raise the ride height at the cost of performance, primarily because it is a genuine hazard to the health of the drivers. To that end, you (not specifically you @McLaren) have to be a rather dense individual if you see Lewis (or any other driver for that matter) grimacing in pain when they get out of their cars and think it's nothing but an act. Lewis saying his seat was going cold is not a good sign, because it could potentially be a sign of numbness.

Petitioning the FIA to change the rules because you are struggling to get your car set up properly looks extremely bad. Then again, I think it's been done quite a few times in the past.

It was my biggest concern as Lewis was already saying his back was a mess after practice, luckily there were a few VSC breathers for him during the race. His setup might be different than George as I don't think George had the same moments as Lewis in the race. It is no joke this bouncing problem as might cause the drivers experiencing it serious long term impacts to their health. It looks so violent on Lewis's onboards, Lewis nearly lost it in a corner that is usually flat out due to car bottoming out in the race so it is very dangerous too. He even mentioned there were many times he was nearly going into the wall.

He is an athlete at the top of his game so for him to be coming out of the car like that, it must have been really bad as it looked on the onboards. I can't imagine having to deal with a near 6G vertical load with such high frequency on a straight at them speeds. The same people who think he is acting about the pain, probably be asking to get extracted from the car if they experienced a tenth of what Lewis experienced.

Hopefully Lewis can drive next race, I think it should be better than this track. That Barcelona update seems to have made things worse for Mercedes ride on bumpy tracks and performance in low speed cornering as they were a long way off the pace again. I think George was aiming to be within three tenths before the weekend but it was a second on top of that in qualifying.

Back