Formula 1 Formula 1 Emirates United States Grand Prix 2019

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Jimlaad43, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

Formula 1 returns to Austin - the scene of some of the most exciting Grands Prix of the last few seasons. Passing is possible all over the track, and battles usually last about 7 corners on a track which Tilke appears to have got right - for racing at least. Lewis Hamilton is the master of this track, which will come in handy as he is on the brink of his 6th Drivers title. The championship in the midfield is as tight as ever, so can anyone try to lay claim to 5th place? We'll find out at the United States Grand Prix.
    [​IMG]
    First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
    5.513km

Race Distance
    308.405 km

Lap Record
    1:37.392 Lewis Hamilton (2018)

spyrrari likes this.
  2. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Before we get underway this weekend, I think this is an important thing to take into consideration when listening to the team radios during the race;

Attached Files:

PaMu1337 likes this.
  3. TheElbows

TheElbows

I don't mind Lewis' radio messages...as they're almost always based on a genuine concern. Do we need to hear them? Eh, probably not, but it's F1/Sky and they want to hear from the top driver's radios.

It's a far cry from Vettel's two-season long stint of "why is this other driver on the track!?" constant actual nonsense. Which, by the way, I'm glad he's cut down on - or they're simply not airing it. He was up at Grosjean levels of bitching for a while there.

4. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

FP1 is underway and I think we can take Sebring off the mantle of "bumpiest track in America". It looks awful out there. The worst is the large bump in the middle of the high speed Turn 18, but the pit exit has a dodgy one and there are so many more terrible bumps.

5. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Magnussen describes it as a "jump" rather than a "bump", and it seems to keep knocking the Haas MGU-something offline. I hope the track surface is up to the load it's going to get this weekend.

6. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

Wow.... Ted just asked if the XII on the helmet means Texas is the 12th state. Never heard of the 13 colonies? Idiot... lol

7. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

So every non-American should learn the history of that particular country? That's an odd viewpoint.

SpiritofDS and RazorSharkz like this.
  8. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

Sorry, I thought the knowledge that we started as "the 13 colonies" was a more widely known fact. :tup:

9. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Wasn't the 13-colonies bit technically British history? :sly::p

10. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

It was, as a part of the British Americas and West Indies colonies, but British colonies covered more than half the globe. Unless you took history as a specific subject and had the European Americas on your curriculum there's no reason why a Briton should know about the specific history of those thirteen colonies.

I agree that Kravitz is an idiot but I think his knowledge of Minor British Colonies of the Eighteenth Century is a poor benchmark for establishing that :D

DesertPenguin likes this.
  11. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

Thanks for humbling me and showing me that our past is a footnote in history :p

Whodoyouthink and TenEightyOne like this.
  12. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

What he should be wondering is why they're using Roman numerals in the U.S.

TenEightyOne likes this.
  13. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin Premium

Because we think it's classy lol

14. UnkaD

UnkaD

They're stylish.:cool:
    More US pavement falling apart in a quick fashion, then?

TenEightyOne likes this.
  15. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

To be fair it's probably something most Brits should learn at school but most of history class here is taken up by the Romans and the Tudors.

TenEightyOne likes this.
  16. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Perez missed a weighbridge stop in FP2 and was given the default penalty - he will start the race from the pitlane.

17. RazorSharkz

RazorSharkz

Ya, sometimes I gotra remind myself that naming the States in order of them being accepted into the Union is something most people didn't have to go through.

18. Saidur_Ali

Saidur_Ali

Hopefully drivers don't get crippled by this track. If COTA can't sort it out, likes of F1 and MotoGP should not race there in the future. Wonder if 2021 cars will be worse for drivers at dealing with such tracks...

19. FutureF1

FutureF1

Soften the suspension and deal with it... COTA is getting to a point where it’s developing character. Let’s not ruin that. American road courses are some of the best in the world due to their bumps, it’s nice to see COTA developing in the same way

20. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

If it's character it's fine. Apparently the worst of the bumps have been ground down overnight, we'll see what difference that makes today.

In other news: Leclerc has just blown an engine.

21. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

Was anice FP3 to watch. LeClercs mechanics making overtime and Lando P3. His iracing friend Max was very fast.
    Now prepare for quali. In my case that means to check the fridge

22. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

Bad news for chico fans. Sergio has been knocked out in Q1, behind Russell. I'm not sure what exactly happened.

edit: Nevermind, forgot about the penalty.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  23. PaMu1337

PaMu1337

Hamilton nearly murdered Kvyat and Verstappen there :crazy:

24. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Interesting read...

25. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

Were they on hot laps or in/out laps?

26. PaMu1337

PaMu1337

Looking back its more Kvyats fault as he was not on a fast lap. But it was very close between the three

27. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

Yep that was dangerous. Lewis had to avoid slower Kvyat and probably didn't see Verstappen. Good that Max was alert and could avoid a collision with Lewis.

28. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

No action by the stewards.

29. baldgye

baldgye Premium

I’m not sure what Max was expecting Lewis to do, was clear he was going to pass Kvyat.. all a bit silly really

30. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

None were on hot laps, that was out laps judging by how close Verstappen was to Hamilton around T18. It was probably a bit like Monza where it got close to the flag time maybe?

Really there isn't enough context in the clips to actually ascertain what that was all about and who was at fault.

PaMu1337 and ROAD_DOGG33J like this.