Formula 1 Eyetime Großer Preis von Österreich 2018

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 304 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After a pretty decent French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard, Formula 1 moves on to the middle weekend of the first ever triple-header. The Red Bull Ring has never been a good hunting ground for Red Bull and Toro Rosso, and this weekend will probably be the same. Bottas won last year, and has always been strong in Austria. He's lost so many points this year, with only Australia being his fault. Will this be the weekend he finally wins the race he's deserved to since China?
1496396643536.png

(NB, another DRS zone has been added between turns 1 and 3)

First Grand Prix

Number
of Laps

Circuit Length
4.318KM

Race Distance
306.452KM

Lap
Record

1:07.411 by Lewis Hamilton (2017)

Times (Local)
Practice 1 11:00 – 12:30
Practice 2 15:00 – 16:30
Practice 3 12:00 – 13:00
Qualifying 15:00 – 16:00
Race 15:10 – 17:10​

Last edited:
The only one who "deserves" to win is Lewis Hamilton. He's quicker than Bottas and makes fewer mistakes than Vettel.

Let the Dutch invasion begin. My best friend and his son will also attend and he's my personal reporter.
Unfortunately I can not join him because of other "priorities".....he had tickets for the complete weekend for €50 :eek:

Luckily I can watch the race live and hopefully we'll see another enjoyable race.

Last edited:
To be fair, anyone who actually wins a GP by definition deserves it. But right now, Mercedes is the best overall team and car. Lewis should win almost every race. That he doesn't only proves he is human and his car and team are not perfectly reliable.

To be fair, anyone who actually wins a GP by definition deserves it. But right now, Mercedes is the best overall team and car. Lewis should win almost every race. That he doesn't only proves he is human and his car and team are not perfectly reliable.

From what I've read, that isn't really true. The Ferrari seems to be faster in a straight line and seems to be better on tighter tracks, Singapore an upcoming example. Then Red Bull are sort of in the mix here and there with a very strong package.

I agree Lewis is for my money, the best driver on the grid. But I don't think it's quite as clear cut. And as we all know, 'deserving' has no place in sport.

I remember getting major flak on here once for saying a driver deserved anything so there's that.

Lewis' lead is probably only gonna increase over the next couple of weeks. Austria has always been a Mercedes circuit and his track record at Silverstone is far better than Sebastian's.

Lewis' lead is probably only gonna increase over the next couple of weeks. Austria has always been a Mercedes circuit and his track record at Silverstone is far better than Sebastian's.

I think Austria might be closer than that, but I agree I'm suspecting another home victory for Lewis

Red Bull will finally have their party mode for qualifying.

So, Saturday night will be reserved for engines swaps for Max and Dan.

I've always somewhat enjoyed wet qualifying followed by a dry race and vice versa. Really pushes the teams, tires and drivers I think. What is the Austrian GP known for since it showed back up on the schedule? Brakes? Fuel? Tires? I remember Vettel having a catastrophic tire explosion, and seem to recall some serious brake fade...

@Jimlaad43 Can you put this schedule in your first post?

All Times EST
Friday
4:55am - FP1
7:00am - Formula 2 Practice
8:55am - FP2
10:55am - Formula 2 Qualifying

Saturday
5:55am - FP3
8:55am - Formula 1 Qualifying
10:45am - Formula 2 Race 1

Sunday
5:00am - Formula 2 Race 2
8:30am - Formula 1: On The Grid
9:05am - Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix

I've always somewhat enjoyed wet qualifying followed by a dry race and vice versa. Really pushes the teams, tires and drivers I think. What is the Austrian GP known for since it showed back up on the schedule? Brakes? Fuel? Tires? I remember Vettel having a catastrophic tire explosion, and seem to recall some serious brake fade...
Power!! Austria is a power track. Two long, uphill straights. The altitude shouldn’t be a problem for the turbo PUs though. Quite heavy on brakes as well, and usually a rear tire limited circuit.

This is one of Strolls better tracks so will be interesting to see if Kubica still has got what it takes and also better idea where Williams are in the pecking order before they get upgrades. Hopefully Toro Rosso can now fight a bit more, Hulk vs Sainz battle should be more fair and maybe Grosjean will score his first point/s of this season.

Battle at top will be interesting as always, XNDA FTW! He needs to show domination like in Q3 Australia again.

Watching the Channel 4 feed:

"A few of you have been asking about strategy, and it is likely to be a one stop race without some weather intervention."

Who are these people actually needing to ask???

Last edited:
Pole last year was a 1:04.251. I reckon we could see at 1:02 by quali if it stays dry, maybe even a 1:01. I fear that sub 1-minute is just slightly too optimistic.

Pole last year was a 1:04.251. I reckon we could see at 1:02 by quali if it stays dry, maybe even a 1:01. I fear that sub 1-minute is just slightly too optimistic.

Yeah I think maybe before the regulation changes in 2021 it's probably do able

Nice to see the yellow kerbs enforcing track limits.

Back